"Invalid Credentials" - when using Quicken outside of US ?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a shot in the dark ...

Have you customized your system and/or your browser settings to Disable Java Script?

If so, try enabling it.

• elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    > @cbrk said:
    > I just talked to a support person. I don't think he knows what he's talking about, but anyway he confirmed that Quicken won't work outside US and Canada. So if this is true, people travelling to somewhere outside US and Canada cannot use Quicken until they go back to the home country.
    >
    > I'm done with this ship and moving to GnuCash. Good luck guys.

If this conversation is correct then I am beyond furious. Can someone on Quicken staff comment on this?? It could just be a clueless CSR, in which case they need some more training.
  • cbrk
    cbrk Member ✭✭
    > @elisimpson said:
    > If this conversation is correct then I am beyond furious. Can someone on Quicken staff comment on this?? It could just be a clueless CSR, in which case they need some more training.

Well, as you can see in the screenshot in my previous post, he/she said they are not blocking but it won't work bla bla bla, and suddenly at the end he/she said it's due to the security setting on my computer. He/She's just speaking nonsense. So hopefully that is not true, but anyway I'm leaving. I'm just trying to see if there is any way to export my data without logging into Quicken....
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JosephA said:
    An additional issue is the web sign-in. I can sign-in at one computer but after I sign-out, I can't sign-in at another computer or iPhone - same things "Wrong Credentials"

I still can sign in at the first computer!
    Hi @"JosephAJosephA

Have you checked the Router Settings? See the settings for all computers. You may need to adjust them to make it work for all.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• jmi540116
    jmi540116 Member ✭✭
    Similar issue here. Still unable to sign-in to my account and to get my Quicken app to work as it requires to enter my credentials and returns an 'Invalid credentials' every time I try. This has been going on for the past 2 weeks. Changed my password numerous times in line with password policy... to no avail. Waited 24 hrs ... still not working. Tried the recommendations above. No luck!

Created another account with a different email address and found that I can log in and out repeatedly from this account without receiving the 'Invalid credential' message. That does not solve my problem since my quicken file is linked to my initial account. But in this info any helpful?
  • jmi540116
    jmi540116 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here.
    Living outside the US for the past 20 years and was able to work with Quicken ever since. So now and for the past couple of weeks l am unable to sign-in to my account and to get my Quicken app to work as it requires to enter my credentials and returns an 'Invalid credentials' every time I try. This has been going on for the past 2 weeks. Changed my password numerous times in line with password policy... to no avail. Waited 24 hrs ... still not working. Tried many of the recommendations I could find. No luck!
    Then I created another account with a different email address and found that I can log in and out repeatedly from this account (yes, from overseas) without getting the 'Invalid credential' message. That does not solve my problem since my quicken file is linked to my initial account. But this looks a bit strange... could this info be helpful?
    Also spoke to Quicken support a couple of days ago and the person confirmed that this is a known issue and gave me the link to follow progress https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914687/new-6-10-22-windows-users-sign-in-loop/p1?new=1
    Unfortunately I see no progress and no ETA.
    He did not seem to find an issue with the fact that I subscribe now from outside the US and Canada.
    Indeed Quicken never had a problem collecting my subscription on a foreign Via account!!!!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - I've suggested that the 3 different "credentials" threads alll be merged together.... to better reflect the topic Q&A -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Still not working for me.

Couple of things I've noticed: when starting up Quicken it shows up as "Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property" when my license is for Quicken Premier. Also I get the following in qw.log every startup:

Sat Jul 02 10:54:24 2022
    Process id : 6304 Thread id : 1400 : Time 10:54:28 : DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBGetResource (qdb.c @ line # 1747.)
    Process id : 6304 Thread id : 1400 : Time 10:54:28 : DbC PreconditionViolation 'pDB != 0 && resourceType < GetNumResourceTypes() && pResource != 0 && !IsResourceVariableSize(resourceType) && pRsrcSpec != 0' in QDBPutResource (qdb.c @ line # 1820.)
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    There's an option on the screen to create a new Quicken ID, which I haven't tried. I assume if I did this I'd have to associate the data file with the new account and also transfer my subscription to the new account, as I believe my license to use the product is directly tied to the Quicken ID email.

Need guidance from Quicken staff on this. None of the suggested approached are working and I have to get access to data some way.
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I have a feeling this is it: QuickenAuthorizationLog.txt is filled with lines like this:

qw PID(6304) TID(1) 27.1.41.19 7/2/22 10:54:37:028 AM ERROR Quicken.Services.Authentication.OAuth2Service "System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Key not valid for use in specified state.

at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.SecureData.Load(String itemName)"

A quick search of "CryptographicException: Key not valid for use in specified state." will reveal that many have had this problem. It appears to be related to the security certificate not being configured correctly. Here's one link that describes it, but a search will show many many examples:

[Removed - Unverified Link]
  • PeterKS
    PeterKS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    > He/She's just speaking nonsense.
    In most cases support is there to speak nonsense.

I have the same issue as anyone else. I just updated Quicken. The previous version allowed me to skip authentication while this one doesn't anymore.

I can access the web sites both My Account and Quicken on The Web using a web browser. But I can't when using Quicken Desktop application for Windows. This happens no matter if I use a VPN to USA or not.

[Removed - 3rd-Party Software/Rant]
  • PeterKS
    PeterKS Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Just a shot in the
    > dark ...
    >
    > Have you customized
    > your system and/or your browser settings to
    > Disable Java Script?
    >
    > If so, try enabling
    > it.

Who has JavaScript disabled in their web browser these days? This would make any single website unusable.

No this is definitely not a solution.
  • PeterKS
    PeterKS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Luckily I had a copy of Quicken 2016 installed at another computer. In 2016 Quicken was under Intuit and the development standards were higher than now.

I managed to convert my recent QDF to QIF.

I tested GnuCash and MoneyDance with this data and I prefer MoneyDance. So I guess I'll go for MoneyDance now.

$59.88 that I annually pay for Quicken is definitelly too much for this garbage that still has a design of an application from a year 2000.
  • I am not positive that this is the same issue, but it has now been marked "Resolved"

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914687/resolved-7-2-22-windows-users-sign-in-loop#latest
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    It is definitely not resolved. Still exactly the same behavior today. Log in, Invalid credentials, change password, send code, enter code and new password, password changed successfully, please log in again... INVALID CREDENTIALS!

Getting really really tired of this
  • PeterKS
    PeterKS Member ✭✭
    > @elisimpson said:
    > It is definitely not resolved. Still exactly the same behavior today. Log in, Invalid credentials, change password, send code, enter code and new password, password changed successfully, please log in again... INVALID CREDENTIALS!
    >
    > Getting really really tired of this

If Quicken can't or is not willing to fix the issue I think we are more than justified in using older working versions from torrents. I have an installation for Intuit Quicken Deluxe 2016 R4 25.1.4.14 in case you need it. It works with the latest Quicken file format. You can at least use it to convert QDF to QIF and then move to an alternative software.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    I am not positive that this is the same issue, but it has now been marked "Resolved"

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914687/resolved-7-2-22-windows-users-sign-in-loop#latest
    It probably is NOT the same issue as the “credentials” problem, else they would have mentioned that… I’ve asked them to clarify the Alert. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    @ps56k2 - I escalated the Quicken ID Credentials issue and was given this link by @Quicken Anja.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    I am not positive that this is the same issue, but it has now been marked "Resolved"

There was no mention of what the resolution was in that alert. What actions are users supposed to take?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• @mshiggins - I am just the messenger.  I tried to bring attention to this issue many times since 6/27.  When I escalated this issue on 7/1, this link is the answer I got.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited July 2022
    Hello All, 

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer … 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Hello All, 

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if the instructions found in the support article provided above fail to resolve the issue, then we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.
    @Quicken Jasmine  to be clear, what support article are you referring to?  Also, you do realize that if a user is locked out of Quicken and has no other means to access their data file, they would be unable to "Report a problem".  

Lastly, if this post (link below) is supposed to be for "Quicken ID Credentials Issue" as @Quicken Aja told me, will it be updated to reflect that it is NOT resolved?

Sorry I am a bit frustrated.  I have tried since 6/27 to bring attention to this issue.  Even though I am in the US, I had this same thing happen to me on 6/16, but luckily it seemed to resolve itself (I did restore a backup, but I am not certain that was what fixed the issue).  I escalated this issue on 7/1 and was given the above link with the issue RESOLVED.  Now, it looks like we are back to ground zero.  
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Damian,

I do apologize, there is no support article. I have edited my response to reflect such. 

Thank you for pointing that out to me!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Cschmidtvs
    Cschmidtvs Member
    Hello, I would like to inform you that I have also spent several hours today with this same issue. I travel most of my time and have never before had an issue login in to Quicken from outside the US. Spend multiple hours changing passwords and trying to login today after an update was applied and now it seem's I'm locked out. Web-Chat Support was trying to suggest I roll back to an April release but sadly this does not fix the problema. I was told today that the fix is in process of being "looked at" but there is no certainty when next release will fix this. It could take days of even weeks. FRUSTRATION and DISAPPOINTMENT in Quicken is what I have now and no means of exporting my files to move on to a different software!
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    Any response from the developers about the error log I posted earlier in the thread? It's pretty clear that the OAuth2 encryption key is invalid according to that log. In other words, we're sending the right password but it's encrypted differently than the server expects and so will always be rejected

qw PID(6304) TID(1) 27.1.41.19 7/2/22 10:54:37:028 AM ERROR Quicken.Services.Authentication.OAuth2Service "System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Key not valid for use in specified state.

at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)
    at QAM.Authorization.Internal.SecureData.Load(String itemName)"
  • Bob@34
    Bob@34 Member ✭✭✭
    I too have had this issue since perhaps Saturday (July 2nd). Start Quicken and it prompts me to enter my credentials (email address is already there). Enter my password and am told that these are not my correct credentials. Ask for help and get a text to my phone with a six-digit access code. Enter this and create a new password. Prompted again to enter my password and get the same damn message advising me that I'm using incorrect credentials. I am unable to download any transactions because of this. I do live in Spain but have used Quicken without any problems whatsoever until now. All of my US transactions had been updating without fail regardless of connection with the exception of my USAA Checking and Visa card which seem to require a VPN to the US (we use Nord). I have been traveling internationally on a regular basis for more than forty years and have always (since buying Quicken years ago) been able to download my activity. And I'm posting this on my Mac because I cannot even log onto this community on my Windows computer (same credentials error). The last posted transaction I have in Quicken is 7/1/2022.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have passed this along to our teams and this is being investigated further. However, in the meantime, our team wants to know if this issue is possibly caused by too many login attempts which would cause a security screening block requiring you to have to wait 24 hours to log in again. To test this, we advise that if the issue persists, to please not attempt logging in again for 24 to 48 hours.

If the issue still persists after 24 to 48 hours with no login attempt, then please contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance and possible escalation if they see fit.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    [EDIT] - also - there are now TWO different "credentials" topic threads -
    - one for users in domestic US
    - one for users outside US
    please try and post in the appropriate topic to help the Quicken support folks follow each area -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• wytske
    wytske Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Dear @Quicken Anja ,
    I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years now, the last 7 of which have been while living in the Netherlands. For almost 2 weeks now I have had the same login loop problem as all the above contributors are having, and have had four long phone calls with Quicken Support with gaps of 48 hours between each. A few times I was informed (like others report having been informed) that Quicken is no longer available for users outside the US. (And no, using a VPN has not solved the problem.) Surely Quicken does not want to exclude people from accessing their financial data while traveling outside the US (even with VPN assistance). Or is this an intentional reduction in the clientele that Quicken now wishes to serve?
    P.S. It was only possible for me to make this post by creating a new Quicken account, which I did using VPN access to an IP in the US.
This discussion has been closed.