Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Hi!
I've been searching thorough many posts here but I wasn't able to find a solution to my issue...

I have Quicken 2017 for Windows installed on my old computer. I just bought a new one and I want to install Quicken 2017 on it.
I've been searching but I couldn't find where to download it.
Also, I can't sign in on Quicken web with the user I bought Quicken some years ago because sign in page says that my account needs to be migrated. When I click on migration link I only get a blank page.
So I've created a new account just to write this post (omg...).
Any help is welcome!

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need the installation program to install Quicken 2017 (no longer supported) on your new computer. If you don't have the installation program, you'll have to try to obtain a copy for somewhere such as eBay. Be careful of scammers selling bogus copies. Even if you were able to sign-in to your Quicken ID, the download is no longer available.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help Greg_the_Geek.

It's sad to hear that a just 5 year old version can't be downloaded. At least it should be (as legacy).
    I'll try find the installation program...
    Thanks!
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    Situation update:
    I finally managed to find and install Quicken 2017 to the new computer.
    I have installed the software and the patch to the exact version I have on the old computer (Quicken 2017 Home & Business R20.6 on both now).
    I have the same Windows version (Windows10) on both old & new computers.
    I open my Quicken File on the new computer, I'm asked for the file passsword, I type it and...
    Here comes the problem:
    File opens and I even manage to see (for just a second) my finances starting page...but then it comes to a blank screen saying:
    Having problems with your Quicken ID?
    Create a new ID for your data file or Sign in with a different Quicken ID.
    If I click here it makes me write "yes" to confirm user signout. The user that appears is the user I used to sign in to quicken community as my old user from which I bought Quicken 2017 is not usable as I'm not paying any subscription (already had a chat with Quicken support about this).
    So...I type "yes" to confirm sign out and I get the same blank page but without the "sign in with a different Quicken ID" message on it.
    Nothing to do at this point. It doesn't matter if I create a new Quicken file or if I try to open my current one. Always the blank screen.
    What makes me crazy is that every time I try to open my current Quicken file, I can see all my accounts, balances, etc. for just a second...then it gets blank again.

Has anyone had this happen before? Any clue?

Thanks in advance!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Which Quicken ID/Password do you use on your old computer? Is there an X in the upper right corner of the blank windows? If so, try Xing the window until it goes away.
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    I do not remember using a Quicken ID/password on my old computer...I never used online features...I just bought it many years ago (coming from Microsoft Money) as an Offline money manager.
    But I checked it now and the email that appears on Quicken ID (on the old computer) is the one that I used now to sign in to Quicken Community...which is not (I bet...) the one that I used to buy Quicken at the time...
    There's no X anywhere...tried everything...blank screen is fixed. Only a "Need help: Visit quicken/support...." message at the bottom and a big white square in the middle.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons why when someone only wants manual entry I suggest they never go past Quicken 2013.  It was that was the last version of Quicken that didn't require a Quicken Id to register it.

The fact that purchased Quicken 2014 or later is tied to the Quicken Id.  So, you have to use that Quicken Id for reinstalling/registering.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Can you try starting Quicken without opening a data file by holding down the Shift key while double clicking on the Quicken icon? Hold the Shift key until Quicken starts.
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Can you try starting Quicken without opening a data file by holding down the Shift key while double clicking on the Quicken icon? Hold the Shift key until Quicken starts.

This didn't work but I managed to cancel opening the default file Quicken tries to open at the beginning.
    Still no luck...
    I got only File-new or File-open options.
    If I create a new file, it says that Quicken Connected Services have expired. Then...the same blank screen as before.
    If I open a file, I get the same blank screen too.
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > This is one of the reasons why when someone only wants manual entry I suggest they never go past Quicken 2013.  It was that was the last version of Quicken that didn't require a Quicken Id to register it.
    >
    > The fact that purchased Quicken 2014 or later is tied to the Quicken Id.  So, you have to use that Quicken Id for reinstalling/registering.

Too late for me :cold_sweat:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried this on a virtual machine and I couldn't even get it to prompt me for the Quicken Id (blank window), so you actually made it farther than I can at this point even though I know that my Quicken Id is valid for installing the old versions.

It is a lot of work and there is some loss of information, but you might try this to go back to Quicken 2013.
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried disabling your network adapter, then attempting to open Quicken?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Have you tried disabling your network adapter, then attempting to open Quicken?

It won't work.  Until Quicken is registered using the Quicken Id, which needs the Internet connection, Quicken will refuse to open the data file.
    Signature:
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    > @mshiggins said:
    > Have you tried disabling your network adapter, then attempting to open Quicken?

It doesn't work. I manage to see "Check your internet connection message" during 1 second...then blank screen again.
    In every try I make, I always get the attached image error before getting the blank screen.
    What I don't understand is that if I never signed in Quicken in my new computer, how does it know that I have no Quicken subscription?
    And...that's not the case but...if I had a payed Quicken subscription, where do I SignIn in Quicken2017?

All of this makes no sense to me...
    We are talking about a 5 year old software...not a 10 or 15 year old one...

I am tired of trying...I'll try to virtualize my old computer to ONLY use this "old" software :neutral:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @JordiParra I got the exact same thing, so it isn't the fact that I was on a virtual machine.

They have made it so that it is impossible install Quicken 2017 on a new machine.
    I even tried using R20.5 instead of R20.26 that they will download automatically and got the same thing.

The "blank screen" is the one the should have displayed the prompts for logging in with your Quicken Id.

I tried Quicken 2016 and ran into the same blank login screen.  So, it looks like they have made changes to the login process that only works for the Subscription version.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tried 2015 with the same results.  I was able to install and use 2014 R1, this is because it was in the middle of 2014 when Intuit first introduced the Intuit Id and as such the lower versions can be installed and used without it.

But in truth it matters little Quicken 2016 is the earliest version that is is compatible with the data file that Quicken Subscription uses (and Quicken 2017) so going back to Quicken 2015 and earlier is only possible with a new file, or a backup from that time, or with the QIF export/import.  And in that case the most logically thing to do would be to go with Quicken 2013 so you don't have to deal with any of this (at least as long as it runs on newer versions of Windows).
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for the Quicken Data Access Guarantee if this is a deliberate as designed change:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• chlpatent
    chlpatent Member ✭✭
    PS: I had Quicken 2016 for Windows on my Win 10 laptop and upgraded to a new Win 11 laptop. A very simple fix, unlike some of the really convoluted procedures in some other 'answers.' Found this trick when I did an Internet search. Worked like a charm after several hours trying the non-sense other answers suggested! Do install the mondo patches of course, but that wasn't enough to solve the problem. I had the same blank screens until I coped over the Config folder from my other old laptop.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @chlpatent you beat me to it!  :)

I woke thinking that would work because the registration information is in:
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI

This is a very old trick that is now needed again.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    So much for the Quicken Data Access Guarantee if this is a deliberate as designed change:

For what it is worth, I believe this more likely that the developers aren't thinking about what was done in the old year versions of Quicken and instead just have a directive to change the login process for some other reason, that just happens to break the older year versions of Quicken.  It doesn't really matter that much though.  The results is the same.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW This really messes up my testing in VMs.  Recently I cleaned them all up deleting all of snapshots that had Q in them and I don't waste backup space on the VMs since they were just for testing.  As is, I can't install anything between 2014 & 2017.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    @Chris_QPW This really messes up my testing in VMs.  Recently I cleaned them all up deleting all of snapshots that had Q in them and I don't waste backup space on the VMs since they were just for testing.  As is, I can't install anything between 2014 & 2017.
    I'm in the same boat.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    I wonder if JP has run into this issue. He always kept several versions around for testing. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW you will notice that the Data Access Guarantee only talks about Quicken Subscription.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    Chris_QPW said:
    BTW you will notice that the Data Access Guarantee only talks about Quicken Subscription.
    I was wondering about that. I think they must have updated the verbiage at some point. I don’t recall it being that specific.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Could you please check to see if this is an official policy change or a mistake that might be reversed?

Thank you.
    Signature:
  • Taylor Smith
    Taylor Smith Member ✭✭
    Did anyone find a workaround?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone find a workaround?
    See @chlpatent's comments above.
    Signature:
  • JordiParra
    JordiParra Member ✭✭
    I copied config folder from my old computer to the new one.
    Same blank screen.

I give up.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I copied config folder from my old computer to the new one.
    Same blank screen.

I give up.
    Hmm, in theory that should have bypassed registering/logging in at all.  That really sucks.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.