New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• dolomoid
    dolomoid Member ✭✭
    I applied the update yesterday that was supposed to fix this problem. Went through the re-authorization process this morning and still cannot link to my existing Chase accounts.
  • I have a similar issue. I reauthorize but Quicken wants to add a NEW account and will not let me associate with current account.
  • Just updated to the latest Release R43.20 and still can't get Quicken to recognize that I already have a Chase Checking account installed and that I need to link it. It recognized my Savings account fine when I updated last week, but not the checking.
  • Ben_Dover
    Ben_Dover Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    [Removed - Disruptive] I tried the update, my account was not in list. It merged my account with new account wiping out 6 years worth of transactions. [Removed - Disruptive] I restored a backup and back in business. [Removed - Disruptive/Profanity]
  • gjwhelan
    gjwhelan Member ✭✭
    every time I go to download transactions, I have to reauthorize my chase accounts. I get a conformation email, then it tries to create a new account in quicken (no link to existing account). I had it straightened out before the update. what gives, I do not want to create a new account and lose all my past transactions. I have made both names the same in both locations, chase and quicken.
  • JimmysPizza
    JimmysPizza Unconfirmed, Member
    Same issue for a week, now. After apparently successful re-authorization at Chase, Quicken refuses to let me link the account(s) to existing Quicken accounts. Long time no fix people.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    Here we go again. I'm such a sucker. I assumed the Quicken update had fixed the problem as claimed. Nope. It took me a couple of hours to patch everything back together the last time, now I have to do it again. We should get a credit next time our annual subscription comes due.
  • Dean Hinson
    Dean Hinson Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. But instead of trying to link to my existing accounts, Quicken suggests I link to a old Mastercard account instead of the existing Visa account. Come on Quicken, fix this problem.
  • BJR
    BJR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    After the fiasco with Schwab, I thought they'd be more careful with these conversions. I'm bailing on the update until I get some notice that this issue is fixed. I also ran the update that was supposed to fix this and it's still not working.
  • Jeffrey Litvak
    Jeffrey Litvak Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    [Removed - Speculation] The software update released on Sept. 6 does nothing but, fortunately, the solution provided above (deactivate then immediately reactivate each of your Chase accounts individually) did indeed work for me.

There are some things to keep in mind:
    --The Quicken UI will give you the impression you are relinking all your accounts. You aren't. You're only linking the individual account you deactivated/reactivated. You must go through the deactivate/reactivate process for every single Chase account.
    --The scare messages before you commit are particularly scary for checking accounts. So long as you're up-to-date before you start (and have a backup) you'll be OK (or, at least, I was)
    --The Quicken software is too stupid to know the names of accounts. When I reactivated my Chase savings account, Quicken reported that it was linking it to a Fidelity investment account. The process did, however, appear to work (time will tell).
    --Important Thing No. 1: After you go through deactivate/reactivate, Quicken will download transactions. There didn't appear to be any rhyme or reason about what it decided to download so plan on spending time deleting what it downloads so you don't mess up your registers.
    --Important Thing No. 2: Because the Quicken programmers never bothered to test the entire prociess, there's a bug in the user interface will tempt you with a message that says "Improve Connection" after you complete the process for each account. Don't do it! All that will do is return you to the Direct Connection process and you'll have to start the relinking process all over.

Good luck, all. This is a mess but, after wasting the better part of a morning at it, I got it to work. [Removed - Disruptive]
  • Jeffrey Litvak
    Jeffrey Litvak Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I lied above. After doing the deactivate/reactivate dance with my Chase savings account, Quicken [Removed - Language] though I was trying to link it with a Fidelity investment account (super validating the file did not correct the problem -- super validate never does anything but it kept me busy for a few minutes). The pull-down to tell Quicken not to link the savings account with a Fidelty account didn't work (the pull-down doesn't "pull"). So, looks like my only recourse is to delete my Fidelity accounts, do the deactivate/reactivate dance with Chase for my savings account, pray it works then re-add my Fidelity accounts.

Quicken, I hope you're learning a lesson from us on all this. I'm pretty Quicken savvy and am able to waste hours working around your problems. Others aren't (nor should they be). I can't imagine the time and angst this nonsense has caused.
  • txfeinbergs
    txfeinbergs Member ✭✭
    This is a complete disaster. Luckily I had a backup to go to and I am not reattempting this mess until they actually test their SW. I am not being paid by them for quality assurance testing.
  • jtgostars
    jtgostars Member ✭✭
    > @jtgostars said:
    > I was prompted to re-authorize my existing Chase credit card account in Quicken and once I completed the process in the Chase website and was returned to Quicken it is not recognizing my existing Chase Credit card account I have been using for years. None of the "Link To" options are for the existing Chase account. Does that mean I have to set up an entirely new Chase credit card account and copy over the years of historical transactions to the new account? If so that is a terrible solution

I downloaded the most recent Quicken update Release R43.20 that states in the release notes "While reauthorizing Chase accounts, even though accounts were linked, existing account names that are linked were not shown. Also, in some cases accounts were not linked automatically, causing duplicate accounts."

I re-tried re-authorizing my Chase account and still am unable to link to the existing Chase account in Quicken, so typical.
  • Wayne Daren
    Wayne Daren Member ✭✭✭
    > @GM said:
    > This chase transition have been a big problem. While I finally got most issues resolved, the update did connect a chase checking account to a Fidelity account which then really created a roadblock. Deactivating accounts before starting really helps but suggest that you check your other accounts to see if they have somehow been tied into this chase update.

I had the same problem. I almost missed that my Fidelity account was now a Chase Account! More specifically, my Fidelity cash account was somehow made into Chase. WHY would Q do that?

Anyway, I did a restore from a backup and am back to a fully functioning PRE-re-authorizing situation.
    I will wait a week before I try that again.

Interesting, how those who had success de-activated the accounts, even though Quicken instructions say not to do that.
  • Mark Torpey
    Mark Torpey Member ✭✭✭
    Still having the same issue after Q update. Please post step-by-step directions to resolve this as the recent patch did not. Also received a notice that BoA will be doing the same. I have about a dozen accounts with them and am not looking forward to all of this extra work. Please find an easier solution.
  • supecoop
    supecoop Member ✭✭
    Quicken's instructions have 2 shortcomings. They don't say to deactivate the accounts before you start and then they say to add the accounts to Quicken even if they already exist, which results in duplicate accounts.
    Here is what worked for me. Kudos to the commenters who recognized that you have to deactivate all your Chase accounts first. After deactivation, set up your accounts for download and you will automatically be switched to EWC with the correct and correctly named/nicknamed accounts. As noted by others, you may get some strange transactions that have to be cleaned up, I did, but the process basically worked for my checking, savings and credit card accounts. I don't use bill pay so I don't know whether that will work.

You may need to clean things up before you can start over, especially if you have already been through the process multiple times and made changes.
    1. If you have already added new (renamed) accounts by using the Add To Quicken button during a previous attempt you now have duplicate accounts. The new one will be missing a lot data and only show the bare transactions. Just delete the new account. Quicken will then pick up your original account during setup after the account has been deactivated. Always note that your correct account nickname is being linked. If you cannot find the correct nickname to link, cancel and go to #2.
    2. Go to Chase and make sure that your Quicken accounts are no longer shared. Otherwise your new attempt at setup or reauthorization will generate a message that the account already exists or it will not show a correct name to link to an existing account in Quicken.
    3. As always, make an updated backup file and keep it clean so that you can restore it, deactivate it, and start over.
  • bachastain
    bachastain Member ✭✭
    I'll keep this short. I've read this entire thread and experienced all of the problems mentioned, include a Chase account being confused with a Fidelity account. It created 3 new account (none needed) with messed up and incomplete transactions. It was also trying to link 2 Chase credit card accounts with Paypal, and I don't have any active Paypal accounts. I've now restored from backup and won't try the reauthorization again until Quicken and Chase sort through the numerous problems. From the Chase login, the Quicken app has already been authorized, but Quicken still thinks it hasn't and demands I go through it again.
  • Marinsd
    Marinsd Member ✭✭
    I have two CC, plus a savings, checking and mortgage with Chase. Except for the mortgage, Chase does NOT show any of the other accounts to be linked to after the conversion. I have YEARS of transactions that I need to access. Copying/pasting old transactions is a disaster (I'm very tech savvy, so if I can't do this, most people can't). How can I either merge the new/old accounts OR have Chase show the existing accounts during the conversion process (I restored my backup to pre-conversion). FYI I've been using Quicken since about version 1.
  • Bean13
    Bean13 Member ✭✭
    > @bachastain said:
    > I'll keep this short. I've read this entire thread and experienced all of the problems mentioned, include a Chase account being confused with a Fidelity account. It created 3 new account (none needed) with messed up and incomplete transactions. It was also trying to link 2 Chase credit card accounts with Paypal, and I don't have any active Paypal accounts. I've now restored from backup and won't try the reauthorization again until Quicken and Chase sort through the numerous problems. From the Chase login, the Quicken app has already been authorized, but Quicken still thinks it hasn't and demands I go through it again.
    I'm having the same issues. I have new accounts created by Chase. I am afraid of deactivating accounts. Once Quicken resolves this problem, will all our accounts go back to normal? or do I need to restore from backup now? Thank you.
  • Good questions, Bean13. Zero answers. I have a feeling we're going to be on our own for a while.

I'm still mulling whether I want to go through the agony if deleting and reading my Fidelity accounts in order to get the reactivation if my Chase savings account to work. Have others tried this?

FYI, my Citi-based accounts (Home Depot, BestBuy, etc.) stopped updating after I redid my Chase accounts (minus the savings account per above). It's not clear whether this is just typical transaction download grief we all deal with or whether something is now corrupted in my Quicken data file.
  • LLLL
    LLLL Member
    > The usual procedure is to deactivate the account, close Quicken, wait 30 sec or more, start Quicken and then reactivate using the Add Accounts icon from the Account Bar header.

Note that Quicken no longer prompts you, as you no longer have a chase account... So I disconnected, and then connect to Chase, and the only option I get is "don't add to quicken". However, it ads a new account when hiting ok
  • Hawkins1
    Hawkins1 Member ✭✭
    At this point, it seems we may be talking to a wall but I'll add some context.

I too am getting the same issue post R43.20 update where the account is not showing up to link. A potential workaround I found is if I go in and "Deactivate" the chase credit card I have from downloading and then set it up to Download again, it seems to "work" and actually be able to import. The problem with this is that it re-writes all the transaction history in the account. For example, I have every transaction categorized and this re-imports all the transactions from Chase and deletes all my categorizations. Not sure why this is happening but I can't have that at all as I need the categories to stay.
  • I was on the phone with Quicken this AM for over an hour working on this. I finally have most of my chase accounts working. Had to deactivate each one. The Q agent (very nice guy) had me remove bank name and account number on one of them, but I don't know why. We lost the phone connection, so I was on my own. So, after deactivation, i went back into update. made sure all were attaching to an existing account, not generating a new account. All found their match....but every account balance was incorrect. Somewhere in the process a lot of transactions were lost....just stuck in an adjustment figure rather than go search through hundreds of entries. Too bad they don't test these things first, or at least pull them when they find they don't work. C'est la vie.
  • LLLL
    LLLL Member
    Ok, I think I got it going. Start with backup from before any experiments, deactive all chase accounts, close quicken. wait 30 seconds (why?). open again. Tools->Add account, chase, login, and it matched to the correct accounts (but allowed me to change, which I didn't).

It took forever after that (10 minutes at least). The spinner stopped at various times. I think it downloaded the hundreds of transactions available online, and removed all the ones it already has.

Reconciling next, but it seems to be correct, or close enough.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hawkins1 said:
    The problem with this is that it re-writes all the transaction history in the account. For example, I have every transaction categorized and this re-imports all the transactions from Chase and deletes all my categorizations. Not sure why this is happening but I can't have that at all as I need the categories to stay.
    You are never going to get a linked download that doesn't have duplicates, you will just have to delete the duplicates.

The reason is because the Downloaded Id has been changed from what it is in Direct Connect.
    Here is a transaction in Direct Connect, the Downloaded Id is the second column.

Here is the same transaction downloaded with Express Web Connect +:

Quicken uses the Downloaded Id to determine if it has seen the transaction before.  If it changes like in this case Quicken thinks it is a new transaction.  There isn't anyway for Quicken to know that this is in fact the same transaction.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LLLL
    LLLL Member
    Ok, reconciling doesn't work, as the online balance contains pending transactions that are not included in the download...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    LLLL said:
    Ok, reconciling doesn't work, as the online balance contains pending transactions that are not included in the download...
    Yep, see this announcement:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918391/ongoing-9-1-22-chase-online-balance-including-pending-transactions

You will need to reconcile to the "statement balance" until it is fixed.  Note the "statement balance" can actually just be the balance on Chase's website for a given day.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • kmagnush
    kmagnush Member ✭✭
    I have one Chase credit card account on Quicken. I went thru the Chase eauthorization process this morning, and it set up a new Chase credit card account. So I have two accounts, with two different balances. I thought this update was just a new authorization process to download transactions to Quicken? Is this going to be fixed, or what am I supposed to do to straighten this out? In the meantime, I reverted to the previous Quicken version and am not downloading from Chase.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    You are never going to get a linked download that doesn't have duplicates, you will just have to delete the duplicates.

Not true. I did wth 2 accounts and no duplicates at all.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @kmagnush,

Unfortunately, unless you restore a backup file, you will most likely need to fix the problems that you are seeing. 

To the best of my knowledge, Quicken is not working on a broad fix to the "I now have 2 Chase accounts, instead of one" problem.  The advice that Quicken is giving is that you should move the old transactions from the old account in Quicken to the new account.  And after you complete that process, you can then delete the old account and move forward with the new one. 

To move transactions from the old register to the new one > you should highlight the first (oldest) transaction and then use the down arrow to move down to the last transaction and then hold down the Shift key as you click on that last transaction.  You will then see that this block of transactions are highlighted > next right click within the last transaction and select "Move transaction(s)" from the menu > Next a pop-up window will appear where you'll need to locate the new account's name in the "Move to account" box, then click "OK" to complete the move.  Once you've moved all transactions from the old to the new account, you can delete the old account.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.