New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Posted this several times and it seems no one listens. At least try to start your browser in safe mode before trying to authroize from Quicken. And let me know if that worked.
  • PK2K
    PK2K Member ✭✭✭
    Got it all to work, but Fair Warning! On a minimum create a backup before you start. Be aware that 1) Chase will download the ENTIRE available transaction history. Luckily, my accounts are setup to NOT automatically enter all downloaded transactions, so I was able to delete all of the duplicates (2,559 days for one account, yikes!). FYI, you can sort downloaded transaction by date and then select/delete 'batches' of them and 2) immediately check/reconcile your accounts because it turned out that Chase had still downloaded a fake 'opening balance' transaction from 08/31/2015 (which I'm guessing was the oldest transaction that it was able to download) and still 'accepted it' and showed it as 'reconciled.' Fortunately, I was able to quickly identify the problem & delete the 'bogus' transaction. All good now...
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @SteveY said:
    > On 43.26, it doesn't change the opening balance from $0 anymore, but still doesn't show/download any transactions for that account.

Tonight I tried using a QXF file from Chase. It thinks for 10-15 seconds or so, and says 0 transactions were imported. But it changes the opening balance. So maybe Quicken is downloading the data but ignoring it?

I did notice there is a "ongoing issue" since January about Quicken not being able to import QFX files. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7905187/
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @SteveY said:
    > Tonight I tried using a QXF file from Chase.

Success! Mostly. I dug into the file and decided to change the account number from the 16 digit card number:
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>1234123412341234
    </CCACCTFROM>

to:
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>...1234
    </CCACCTFROM>

...like it shows now in Quicken, and the file imported! So Quicken does seem to not know where to put the data (which, per above, I have re-linked multiple times).

On the down side my Opening Balance was 1) still changed, and 2) moved to 7/19/2079 (not a typo).
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    R43.26 seems much better.  I did save a backup.  It did download some recent transactions but does not appear to have done months worth of data like before.  For those it downloaded which I already had in the register as cleared it changed the category, so beware!  Luckily it was only a couple of days and updated the categories for the appropriate accounts they were intended to be for such as transfers to pay other accounts.   I did notice it did not offer to download other Chase investment accounts.  It just did the checking and savings type accounts.  Will try to enable the others to see what happens.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    SteveY said:
    > @SteveY said:
    > Tonight I tried using a QXF file from Chase.

Success! Mostly. I dug into the file and decided to change the account number from the 16 digit card number:
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>1234123412341234
    </CCACCTFROM>

to:
    <CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>...1234
    </CCACCTFROM>

...like it shows now in Quicken, and the file imported! So Quicken does seem to not know where to put the data (which, per above, I have re-linked multiple times).

On the down side my Opening Balance was 1) still changed, and 2) moved to 7/19/2079 (not a typo).
    That scares me.  Shouldn't have to do anything like that and hopefully the software does not change in a way that it breaks it.
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @SteveY said:
    > Success! Mostly.

Hmm :/ , at some point in my testing just now, Quicken quietly added two new accounts, "Credit Card at Chase" and "Credit Card 2 at Chase." The former has New transactions for the past month ("since last statement") and an opening balance dated 8/14/22. The latter has no data except for an opening balance dated 3/18/22. The two account numbers are (as you might guess) 1234123412341234 and ...1234 respectively. So it looks like it creates an account at every QFX file import, even though it is inside the original account when doing the import and the "import file for account:" dropdown has only one choice, the original account.
  • SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @SteveY said:
    > > @dmhump1 said:
    > > the new EWC versions (identified by an XX before the last 4 digits of the account number).
    >
    > That's an interesting comment, because it changed mine to use periods. (...1234)

Oh, never mind, in One Step Update Progress it shows as "(XX...1234)" as the Financial Institution, but in the account properties the account number shows as "...1234"
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I just enabled downloads for Chase Investment accounts, but it is still using Direct connect instead of the new express Web connection setup.  What's the story here?  Not all the Chase accounts will be forced to use Express Web connection by end of September?

By the way, after some minor transactions corrections on the other banking accounts, the balances and everything I had reconciled before appear to be untouched.  Much better than before, but nervous that something will go wrong over next couple of days so watching it closely.  Continuing to do regular file validations and backups in case I need to restore to last good file before these connection changes.
  • the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Does R43.26 seem to resolve all the conversion issues for people who did not convert to EWC+ before?

Do you still get new accounts being created (hidden or not)? Do you also get duplicate transactions downloaded that were downloaded prior to the conversion to EWC+? Do the duplicate transactions persist after the conversion to EWC+?

@Quicken Jasmine are there still "lingering" issues that Quicken is working on regarding this problem?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @the3roots Just based on the comments I would say it fixes "some problems" of "some people", but certainly it doesn't fix all problems for all people.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Bob. said:
    > Posted this several times and it seems no one listens. At least try to start your browser in safe mode before trying to authroize from Quicken. And let me know if that worked.

I don't understand how the browser would have anything to do with it.
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    jimshu1 said:
    I'm very skeptical, but I enabled Chase on a secondary system this PM after the upgrade to R43.26. I started with a Chase CC account that I had disconnected and kept accurate through manual entries and reconciling. For sure, I have a backup data file.

I went through the Chase security and successfully connected my Chase CC account. It downloaded transactions for the last 7 days only, all but two matched (Quicken indicated Matched) my manual entries that I've been making for a week. The two were just errors dating early in Sept.??? Can't explain them except they were legitimate transactions in the past, just not on the two dates used. Deleted them.

Everything now reconciles, no changes to categories or beginning balance. I've got a backup from PM before connecting and I'll see how it handles a bunch of new transactions that haven't cleared Chase yet until tomorrow.
    I forgot to mention in the comment above that the new connection automatically linked correctly to my existing Chase account. I didn't have to select it.

I installed the new, connected data file on my main system this morning and ran OSU. Everything worked correctly. My new Chase transactions were downloaded correctly, the account reconciled with no issues, all categories are unchanged, and my Quicken Chase account agrees with Chase's Website.

I have no advise or knowledge of what happened that has allowed this to work for me. I'm still wary, but the longer I use this connected data file, the harder it will be to return if something bad happens to my Chase account down the road.
    Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • Jason Gittman
    Jason Gittman Member ✭✭✭
    the3roots said:
    Does R43.26 seem to resolve all the conversion issues for people who did not convert to EWC+ before?

Do you still get new accounts being created (hidden or not)? Do you also get duplicate transactions downloaded that were downloaded prior to the conversion to EWC+? Do the duplicate transactions persist after the conversion to EWC+?

@Quicken Jasmine are there still "lingering" issues that Quicken is working on regarding this problem?
    I have to say for myself there were no issues in the conversion to EWC+ with the latest update.  I was able to link to my 4 current Chase accounts and did not get any new accounts or duplicate transactions.  EWC+ seems to be comparable to Direct Connection in terms of speed when communicating with Chase.
  • richshw
    richshw Member ✭✭
    How about for the Mac no new updates any success with anyone?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    dmhump1 said:
    > @Bob. said:
    > Posted this several times and it seems no one listens. At least try to start your browser in safe mode before trying to authroize from Quicken. And let me know if that worked.

I don't understand how the browser would have anything to do with it.

The browser can go to a blank screen rather than the final completed authorization message and prevents the completion of authorization. If you get an error or blank screen at the last when trying to authorize, it could be safe mode. Disabling pop-up blockers, ad blockers, etc may not be enough. In my case some addon or extension caused it to fail. So if that is the issue for you, worth a try and might surprise you. If you do not have that issue that is not the solution for you. But several people have posted just that problem.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Bob. said:
    > The browser can go to a blank screen rather than the final completed authorization message and prevents the completion of authorization. If you get an error or blank screen at the last when trying to authorize, it could be safe mode. Disabling pop-up blockers, ad blockers, etc may not be enough. In my case some addon or extension caused it to fail. So if that is the issue for you, worth a try and might surprise you. If you do not have that issue that is not the solution for you. But several people have posted just that problem.

Okay, I see. No, Quicken opens the correct login screen on Chase, I am able to log in successfully and Chase indicates that Quicken connection is now available for the relevant accounts. As far as Chase seems to be concerned, everything is working just dandy. It is when I go back to Quicken that the problem is evident. Quicken is a separate app and not browser-based, hence my confusion. I use Chrome for Chase on the PC and Android for the app.
  • R26, still wipes out categories by deleting my reconciled transactions with/without category splits as well as account transfers.

I would almost be Ok with re-enetering the transaction data fixing the splits and xfers, IF and only IF, I knew it wouldnt do it again. However I did the following:
    >Restore from a backup copy using R26
    >Perform a OSU with new Chase login
    >Re-enter the wiped out categories and xfers
    >Perform OSU the following day

It wiped out my categories again.

Not OK with doing the same work over and over. R26 is not the fix.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Only applicable to those that never complete at Chase in the browser regardless of any email saying it has been done. Usually Quicken will report authorization failed even while Chase email says successful. So only for that situation and may not have been posted to address your issue. Others posted just that.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Today's attempt (9/15):
    *Initiated OSU.
    *Ignored the prompt and did not authorize for the umpteenth time.
    *The update appeared to freeze for a half-hour or so while Windows displayed "not responding." Eventually the download completed.
    *The old Direct Connect accounts again downloaded transactions normally.
    *The new XX EWC+ accounts, for the first time, downloaded 90 days of past previously-reconciled transactions but with NO categories assigned. (Previously no transactions were downloaded, but an opening balance was inserted.)

I did NOT accept any of the downloaded transactions for the new accounts and will not until this is fixed, OR Quicken comes up with a way to merge the DC/EWC+ accounts without duplication or corruption of data.
  • I have one chase credit card I track in quicken. Only chase account.
    Not only have I experienced this same issue (re-authorized but cannot assign to the current chase account),but, I have been asked to reauthorize 2 additional times since the first time.
    This has not been a smooth transition at all.
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @the3roots Just based on the comments I would say it fixes "some problems" of "some people", but certainly it doesn't fix all problems for all people.

A third possibility is that 43.26 fixes all problems for some people; it did this for me. With 43.26, the reauthorization went smoothly, and it has performed correctly during three subsequent one step updates. FWIW, I have just one account - a Chase Visa card.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @ScotProf said:
    > > @Chris_QPW said:
    > > @the3roots Just based on the comments I would say it fixes "some problems" of "some people", but certainly it doesn't fix all problems for all people.
    >
    > A third possibility is that 43.26 fixes all problems for some people; it did this for me. With 43.26, the reauthorization went smoothly, and it has performed correctly during three subsequent one step updates. FWIW, I have just one account - a Chase Visa card.

Then we would LOVE to know what you did that evidently worked where our efforts have failed. I'm getting the same result with checking AND two different Chase Visa cards.
  • cmarshall52
    cmarshall52 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > *The old Direct Connect accounts again downloaded transactions normally.

It sounds like the reason you are continuing to be prompted to re-authorize is that you still have Chase accounts in Quicken that are set up to use Direct Connect.

My suggestion based on your posts so far would be to follow the routine that worked for me and has worked for others. Make sure you are NOT set to automatically accept transactions!

1. BACK UP YOUR FILE!

2. Remove all the "new" EWC+ Chase accounts that have been added by your previous attempts.

3. Deactivate Online Services for all your Chase accounts that are currently set up for Direct Connect.

4. Use Tools, Add Account, and choose Chase. This should allow you to link your existing Chase accounts with the new process and replace Direct Connect with EWC+.

5. Carefully review downloaded transactions and manually delete any duplicates before accepting them.

I reauthorized prior to the last two Quicken updates. It may be that you no longer need to deactivate your old accounts. However you DO need to get the Chase accounts linked to your old accounts rather than added as new accounts unless you want to manually move all the old transactions into the new accounts.

Good luck!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW the NEW Updated instructions I was first lead to today specifically say NOT to deactivate first. Once again, nothing definitive. Docs say yes and docs say no. Users say yes. @Quicken never clarifies. But....

• ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > > @ScotProf said:
    > > > @Chris_QPW said:
    > > > @the3roots Just based on the comments I would say it fixes "some problems" of "some people", but certainly it doesn't fix all problems for all people.
    > >
    > > A third possibility is that 43.26 fixes all problems for some people; it did this for me. With 43.26, the reauthorization went smoothly, and it has performed correctly during three subsequent one step updates. FWIW, I have just one account - a Chase Visa card.
    >
    > Then we would LOVE to know what you did that evidently worked where our efforts have failed. I'm getting the same result with checking AND two different Chase Visa cards.

I didn't do anything fancy. But, as I posted, I have a single Chase account (Visa credit card). I suppose it's possible that my experience might have been different, had I multiple Chase accounts.

1. A week or more ago, under 43.20, I tried to reauthorize (i.e., change DC to EWC+). Quicken took me to a web page that told me it had worked, then I was returned to a new popup window in Quicken. However, in that window, I was not offered the opportunity to link to my existing Chase account; I was offered the opportunity to create a new chase account. I decided that that would not be a smart move, and so I closed the Quicken window, thereby (presumably) aborting the reauthorization.

2. For the next few days, when I ran a OSU, I got a popup asking me to reauthorize Chase. At the bottom-right of that popup was a button "Skip for now" (or something like that). I clicked that button. The OSU proceeded as normal, and my Chase account updated just fine (as you'd expect, since the Direct Connect remains active till 9/26/22).

3. As soon as I saw that 43.26 was out, I tried again. Again, it took me to a web page that told me it had worked, then returned me to a new popup window in Quicken. However, this time, that window offered me the opportunity to link to my existing Chase account. Which I did. And everything has been fine since then (including OSUs, which have correctly identified new charges on Chase Visa).

At no point did I deactivate / reactivate anything.

EDIT: I forgot to say that it's also handling pending transactions properly. Earlier in this thread, some users had reported that they'd been having their pending Txs downloading; I have not. I can check my Chase account from my phone, and I see several (correct) pending charges, but none of them have DL'd into Quicken (which is correct behavior).

Sorry not to be of more help; and sorry that others haven't been as fortunate.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Bob. said:
    FWIW the NEW Updated instructions I was first lead to today specifically say NOT to deactivate first. Once again, nothing definitive. Docs say yes and docs say no. Users say yes. @Quicken never clarifies. But....
    I have said this before, but let me state again.  If the process worked as intended, you wouldn't deactivate your accounts, you would just click Reauthorize.  The problem is that at least for some people (and this might change for some people depending on which release they are now on) when they go to the Quicken dialog that is supposed to let them link their Quicken Accounts to the online accounts, their Quicken accounts didn't show up in the list of accounts they can link.  That is why the deactivating of the accounts was recommended in the first place.

Also some people are reporting that when it does link to the existing account it trashes some of their transactions.  Clearly if that is happening to someone they would be better off not linking to the existing accounts, and instead get new accounts, and then move any missing transactions from the old accounts and then delete the old account(s).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • joggerbill
    joggerbill Member ✭✭
    I am trying to set up my Chase credit card account for download. I discontinued downloads from Chase when they started having problems. I tried setting the account up for online access but Chase does not recognize or does not read my sign in information. I know it is correct as I've used it to log in directly to Chase. Please advise how I can connect Quicken to Chase given I do not have Chase set up for online access right now.
This discussion has been closed.