New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry that the symptoms of this issue with disappearing categories and also the problem with repeated authorization prompts are remaining for some users. Thank you for alerting us to this here on the Quicken Community, and for continuing to speak with us about this. 

It would be best for all users still experiencing the problems detailed in this Discussion - specifically categories that have disappeared and recurring authorization prompts after you have already migrated - to reach out to Quicken Support with the information provided here. They will want to document those cases where these problems are ongoing, and will be able to troubleshoot them in greater detail, with the resources available at their disposal.

I hope that helps!

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mark E said:

Moving transactions between accounts is really not a viable option, when you're talking about potentially YEARS of transaction data. 
    Why not?  You aren't going to be moving them one transaction at a time.  You would be using this procedure.   Yes, it is a pain, but it isn't the end of the world either:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

Mark E said:
    It's just not a reasonable expectation or requirement for Quicken to force on its users. I posted earlier that if Quicken were to provide a script or utility of some sort that would programmatically move the transactions then that would help to ease the pain a bit, but ultimately this should be a last resort approach as Quicken should be able to figure out how to not have it clear out already existing data in the registers.
    I don't think you understand the situation.

Quicken Inc is already providing the "automatic way to do this".  But it is failing for some people.  They have already release two "hot fixes" for this process.  So, they are certainly trying to make it work.  But still it isn't for some people.

Clearly Quicken Inc is already trying to provide what you are asking for, but my experience tells me that they are never going to get this fixed 100% for everyone.  So, that is the reason for providing people with the information that might allow them to get past this.

And I certainly wouldn't be asking Quicken Inc for yet another "automatic process" to fix things.  If they can't make the existing automatic process work for 100% of the people what makes you think they could do it with another brand new automatic process?

I would certainly be more inclined to use a semi-automatic way like moving the transactions manually.  As a human you know more about what is a duplicate transaction and what isn't than any "script".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @ScotProf said:
    > > @dmhump1 said:

> > Then we would LOVE to know what you did that evidently worked where our efforts have failed. I'm getting the same result with checking AND two different Chase Visa cards.
    >
    > I didn't do anything fancy. But, as I posted, I have a single Chase account (Visa credit card). I suppose it's possible that my experience might have been different, had I multiple Chase accounts.
    >
    > 1. A week or more ago, under 43.20, I tried to reauthorize (i.e., change DC to EWC+). Quicken took me to a web page that told me it had worked, then I was returned to a new popup window in Quicken. However, in that window, I was not offered the opportunity to link to my existing Chase account; I was offered the opportunity to create a new chase account. I decided that that would not be a smart move, and so I closed the Quicken window, thereby (presumably) aborting the reauthorization.
    >
    > 2. For the next few days, when I ran a OSU, I got a popup asking me to reauthorize Chase. At the bottom-right of that popup was a button "Skip for now" (or something like that). I clicked that button. The OSU proceeded as normal, and my Chase account updated just fine (as you'd expect, since the Direct Connect remains active till 9/26/22).
    >
    > 3. As soon as I saw that 43.26 was out, I tried again. Again, it took me to a web page that told me it had worked, then returned me to a new popup window in Quicken. However, this time, that window offered me the opportunity to link to my existing Chase account. Which I did. And everything has been fine since then (including OSUs, which have correctly identified new charges on Chase Visa).
    >
    > At no point did I deactivate / reactivate anything.
    >
    > EDIT: I forgot to say that it's also handling pending transactions properly. Earlier in this thread, some users had reported that they'd been having their pending Txs downloading; I have not. I can check my Chase account from my phone, and I see several (correct) pending charges, but none of them have DL'd into Quicken (which is correct behavior).
    >
    > Sorry not to be of more help; and sorry that others haven't been as fortunate.
    >

Thanks. My experience in your steps was exactly the same. On the surface everything was as it should be. Neither have I deactivated any accounts. But when I view my accounts on the online access tab, I see that the old ones are still associated with DC and the new XX accounts display something like "improve connection," rather than EWC+ as I would expect if everything had gone right. When I click on "improve connection," the process starts all over again.

Fortunately, transactions are still downloading fine using the DC method so I haven't lost any data.
  • masterharp
    masterharp Member ✭✭
    Already have reauthorized account(s). When I start Quicken get screen saying I need to reauthorize.
  • masterharp
    masterharp Member ✭✭
    FYI. NOT a beta issue.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried restoring an older file that was backed up before all this mess started? Just wondering if the accounts in a different file would be treated differently, before any new XX accounts were authorized. I'm tempted to try that, but don't want to waste my time with more wild goose chases.
  • shtevie
    shtevie Member ✭✭
    For what its worth, I was able to successfully transition ONE Chase credit card account. I installed the latest Quicken Update R43.26 yesterday. Today I chose a single Chase CC account that had about 2 years worth of transactions. After backing up my Quicken file, I created a new credit card account (non-online) called "Test" and copied and pasted all 2 years worth of transactions into the "Test" account so I could check for errors after the transitions. **I DID NOT DE-ACTIVATE THE CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT.** I then clicked on download and after the prompt, I just chose that single account to authorize from Chase. (It timed out while I was reading all of the copy, so I had to do it a second time.) When I was done with the Chase part, I returned to Quicken where it automatically chose the correct account and the correct action. I crossed my fingers and clicked "next" and after a few seconds, my account looked the same. No duplicate downloads and no new ones since I didn't have any. I checked the account properties and it shows EWC+. I selected "update now" just for that account and it seemed to work okay, no error messages or duplicates added, but since I don't have any new transactions, I'll have to wait and see. I have a Chase checking account and another credit card with the same log-in. I intend to try the same procedure this weekend. I highly recommend creating the "Test" accounts so you can check for errors and correct them if necessary. And of course back-up your Quicken file first.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mark E said:

I wasn't aware of the thread explaining how to move blocks of transactions, thanks for the link to that. If you refer to the announcement post from quicken support, where they recommended moving transactions, they explained how to move one transaction at a time.

Now that you mention it I remember glancing at that announcement.  And yes that is a terrible announcement/suggestion.

BTW the main reason we have to have FAQ on how to move transactions by using the copy instead of selecting all the transactions and using "Move Transactions" is because in all the years of people complaining about it if you try to move transactions that are reconciled, it will ask you to confirm on every single transaction!

Oh, one warning.  Copy, doesn't copy that attachments.  If you depended on attachments then this procedure won't work for you, but another way to go at the same thing is to set all the transactions clear status so that they aren't R, and then move them (not copy) and then set the reconcile status back afterwards.
    Signature:
  • Eastwayroad
    Eastwayroad Member ✭✭✭
    I finally took the plunge and ran reauthorizations for my Chase checking & 2 credit cards. All went smoothly- did not de-activate or change any settings- just went through step by step and the correct accounts were automatically linked and updated seamlessly.
    However, my current checking account balance in Q is now way, way off. I tracked down the discrepancy to sometime pre-2015 and all transactions since then look fine. Neither time nor patience to drill down further back. Will be forced to adjust the balance at the next reconcile and I hope good to go thereafter.
    Really aggravating.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience these issues cause.

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the issue with repeating requests for reauthorization mentioned in my previous comment. First: what connection method is in use for those users still experiencing this problem? 

Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.

If the connection method appears as 'Direct Connect,' the accounts have not yet been moved to the new method, and thus the prompts are continuing. If you are seeing that the connection method is 'Express Web Connect+,' however, please let us know a) exactly when this prompt appears and b) what this prompt says, specifically.

We are eager to hear information regarding this matter.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience these issues cause.
    >
    > I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the issue with repeating requests for reauthorization mentioned in my previous comment. First: what connection method is in use for those users still experiencing this problem? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box.
    >
    > If the connection method appears as 'Direct Connect,' the accounts have not yet been moved to the new method, and thus the prompts are continuing. If you are seeing that the connection method is 'Express Web Connect+,' however, please let us know a) exactly when this prompt appears and b) what this prompt says, specifically.
    >
    > We are eager to hear information regarding this matter.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

See screenshot of my Account List. The XX accounts all indicate "improve connection." When I click on that link, I see a popup that says "Upgrade to Direct Connect"!!! Isn't DC what we're migrating AWAY from? I have gone through the migration routine multiple times.

The accounts without the XX preface indicate Direct Connect and they continue to work fine.

• SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    > @Eastwayroad said:
    > However, my current checking account balance in Q is now way, way off. I tracked down the discrepancy to sometime pre-2015 and all transactions since then look fine. Neither time nor patience to drill down further back. Will be forced to adjust the balance at the next reconcile

Look back a ways in this thread...a common problem is Quicken changes the opening balance, for example from $0 to (I assume) some random dollar amount from the beginning of whatever transactions were downloaded. Likely you just need to change that back to $0.
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    R43.26 worked for me. I had restored from a backup from before first update created duplicate Chase accounts that I couldn't link to real accounts. This time, after authorization, the correct accounts were linked and I just hit next and no duplicate transactions appear to have been downloaded.
  • > @dmhump1 said:
    >
    > See screenshot of my Account List. The XX accounts all indicate "improve connection." When I click on that link, I see a popup that says "Upgrade to Direct Connect"!!! Isn't DC what we're migrating AWAY from? I have gone through the migration routine multiple times.

I thought R43.26 worked for me as well, but when I saw this post I checked my Account List and it shows "improve connection," with the same popup. I am hoping updates will remain valid for the account and I definitely don't want to go back to Direct Connect (unless Quicken decides to give us a reprieve and allow Direct Connect on all accounts for the future!)
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @dmhump1 said:

> Thanks. My experience in your steps was exactly the same. On the surface everything was as it should be. Neither have I deactivated any accounts. But when I view my accounts on the online access tab, I see that the old ones are still associated with DC and the new XX accounts display something like "improve connection," rather than EWC+ as I would expect if everything had gone right. When I click on "improve connection," the process starts all over again.
    >
    > Fortunately, transactions are still downloading fine using the DC method so I haven't lost any data.
    >
    Sorry to hear it. Though the fact that you have old accounts and new accounts suggests that we did things differently.

I confirm that my Chase account does now show EWC+ (see image). Good luck!
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @ScotProf said:

> >
    > Sorry to hear it. Though the fact that you have old accounts and new accounts suggests that we did things differently.
    >
    > I confirm that my Chase account does now show EWC+ (see image). Good luck!
    >
    >
    I must have pressed the green button, not the blue button. But they said to press the green button! Oh, in one thread it was the yellow button. No, that was yesterday. Stuff like this happens when we have to rely on over-the-fence "community" information in lieu of proper support.

Not a happy camper here. Weighing the value of a fairly costly subscription vs manual entry. Transaction downloading is the ONLY reason I pay an annual fee. If that doesn't work....
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > > @ScotProf said:
    >
    > > >
    > > Sorry to hear it. Though the fact that you have old accounts and new accounts suggests that we did things differently.
    > >
    > > I confirm that my Chase account does now show EWC+ (see image). Good luck!
    > >
    > >
    > I must have pressed the green button, not the blue button. But they said to press the green button! Oh, in one thread it was the yellow button. No, that was yesterday. Stuff like this happens when we have to rely on over-the-fence "community" information in lieu of proper support.
    >
    > Not a happy camper here. Weighing the value of a fairly costly subscription vs manual entry. Transaction downloading is the ONLY reason I pay an annual fee. If that doesn't work....
    >
    >

Wait a minute, this is weird. I was scrolling through the thread, and saw your post at 2:02pm. There, you show your account list, and the Chase accounts show "Yes (Improve connection)". Here's the weird bit. Although the "Online services" tab of the "details" of my Chase account shows EWC+ (see my screengrab in my previous post), if I instead open my account list, the Chase connection shows "Yes (Improve connection)" !! See screengrab.

I suspect that the Chase data in the account list isn't being correctly updated. This also explains why, when I click the "improve connection" link, I'm unable to do it because I need a DC connection...and, of course, that warning is correct, because my connection is actually EWC+....
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    ScotProf said:
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > > @ScotProf said:
    >
    > > >
    > > Sorry to hear it. Though the fact that you have old accounts and new accounts suggests that we did things differently.
    > >
    > > I confirm that my Chase account does now show EWC+ (see image). Good luck!
    > >
    > >
    > I must have pressed the green button, not the blue button. But they said to press the green button! Oh, in one thread it was the yellow button. No, that was yesterday. Stuff like this happens when we have to rely on over-the-fence "community" information in lieu of proper support.
    >
    > Not a happy camper here. Weighing the value of a fairly costly subscription vs manual entry. Transaction downloading is the ONLY reason I pay an annual fee. If that doesn't work....
    >
    >

Wait a minute, this is weird. I was scrolling through the thread, and saw your post at 2:02pm. There, you show your account list, and the Chase accounts show "Yes (Improve connection)". Here's the weird bit. Although the "Online services" tab of the "details" of my Chase account shows EWC+ (see my screengrab in my previous post), if I instead open my account list, the Chase connection shows "Yes (Improve connection)" !! See screengrab.

I suspect that the Chase data in the account list isn't being correctly updated. This also explains why, when I click the "improve connection" link, I'm unable to do it because I need a DC connection...and, of course, that warning is correct, because my connection is actually EWC+....
    I just looked at my test data file/test account and see the same, and I have a theory of why this shows up, and other than being "misleading" it really shouldn't be causing problems.

You see what that link is suggesting to convert to Direct Connect.

Let's imagine that the account is setup with Express Web Connect and Direct Connect is available.
    This is exactly the link/message that you would expect to see.

So, basically this part of the code is ignoring the + part of Express Web Connect + believing that Direct Connect is still available to improve the connection type.
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Bob. said:
    FWIW the NEW Updated instructions I was first lead to today specifically say NOT to deactivate first. Once again, nothing definitive. Docs say yes and docs say no. Users say yes. @Quicken never clarifies. But....
    I have said this before, but let me state again.  If the process worked as intended, you wouldn't deactivate your accounts, you would just click Reauthorize.  The problem is that at least for some people (and this might change for some people depending on which release they are now on) when they go to the Quicken dialog that is supposed to let them link their Quicken Accounts to the online accounts, their Quicken accounts didn't show up in the list of accounts they can link.  That is why the deactivating of the accounts was recommended in the first place.

Also some people are reporting that when it does link to the existing account it trashes some of their transactions.  Clearly if that is happening to someone they would be better off not linking to the existing accounts, and instead get new accounts, and then move any missing transactions from the old accounts and then delete the old account(s).

You miss my point. Quicken never explains it at all, just instructs NOT to deactivate once again providing incredibly poor instructions with no depth and potentially causing yet more frustration. If that is possible.

Their UNDATED "learn more" sheets are consistently incomplete and inaccurate. Perhaps argue with them Chris.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    @Bob.  You aren't supposed to deactivate your accounts for the change over to Express Web Connect +. It is supposed to do that itself automatically.

ADDED:
    Let me put this a different way.  If everything worked as intended, and people can follow online instructions they only thing they would have to tell anyone is run One Step Update and select this button:

They are writing the instructions as if everything will go fine.  When it doesn't well then you are to contact Quicken support of try to troubleshoot with whatever means you can, including posts in this forum.

Not the best way to do it, but that is what they are doing.
    Signature:
  • As one who deactivated and have backed up everyday since sothe I can go back to Sept 7th when I deactivated and start all over.

Who wants to take the over/under that it does not work correctly? That it still wipes my split categories? That it will allow me to link?

Killing 10 years of history to start a new account because Quicken is unable to handle this? Please!!!

Always current version. Quicken user since rev 1.0.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried checking things today with the new EWC+ Chase connections.  One thing I learned is to not use the Mobile & Web feature with any accounts you had successfully gotten EWC+ with One Step Update working.  I clicked on Mobile & Web sync to update my cash account to download some expenses I loaded on my phone.  However, forgot that yesterday I added my other banking accounts to have a more complete view on the phone for balances.  I used to just have investments and cash accounts sync'd only.  Well, that Mobile & Web sync did exactly what the One Step update did to my bank registers before.  It downloaded a bunch of past reconciled transactions wiping categories (ARRG!!).   Well, to recover, I had to go to my last good backup file and remove all the bank and investment accounts from being sync'd on Mobile & Web.

Aside from that Mobile & Web sync issue, I did OneStep update again running version R43.26 with EWC+ on the Chase bank accounts and still on DirectConnect for Chase Investment accounts.  Quicken updated and downloaded only recent cleared or new transactions and didn't mess with my other transactions in the registers.  Still worried that somehow Quicken has misinformed us about Chase investment accounts converting to EWC+ or not.  The authorization screen had showed me those accounts before but it didn't link them for EWC+.  Worried that those accounts will convert to EWC+ and will see similar problem with past reconciled transactions getting modified.

Continue to validate and backup your file regularly to be able to recover to last known good file.  I dread these surprises of my transactions that are already reconciled being messed with.  This time it was Mobile & Web sync that did it, so maybe there is something in common with Mobile&Web sync and EWC+ in Quicken causing these issues.  I am loosing trust in Quicken's synchronization and download/updates features.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    As one who deactivated and have backed up everyday since sothe I can go back to Sept 7th when I deactivated and start all over.

Who wants to take the over/under that it does not work correctly? That it still wipes my split categories? That it will allow me to link?

Killing 10 years of history to start a new account because Quicken is unable to handle this? Please!!!

Always current version. Quicken user since rev 1.0.
    Did you already try it with R43.26?
  • shtevie
    shtevie Member ✭✭
    > @shtevie said:
    > For what its worth, I was able to successfully transition ONE Chase credit card account. I installed the latest Quicken Update R43.26 yesterday. Today I chose a single Chase CC account that had about 2 years worth of transactions. After backing up my Quicken file, I created a new credit card account (non-online) called "Test" and copied and pasted all 2 years worth of transactions into the "Test" account so I could check for errors after the transitions. **I DID NOT DE-ACTIVATE THE CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT.** I then clicked on download and after the prompt, I just chose that single account to authorize from Chase. (It timed out while I was reading all of the copy, so I had to do it a second time.) When I was done with the Chase part, I returned to Quicken where it automatically chose the correct account and the correct action. I crossed my fingers and clicked "next" and after a few seconds, my account looked the same. No duplicate downloads and no new ones since I didn't have any. I checked the account properties and it shows EWC+. I selected "update now" just for that account and it seemed to work okay, no error messages or duplicates added, but since I don't have any new transactions, I'll have to wait and see. I have a Chase checking account and another credit card with the same log-in. I intend to try the same procedure this weekend. I highly recommend creating the "Test" accounts so you can check for errors and correct them if necessary. And of course back-up your Quicken file first.

So I want to update my advice from my earlier post. Creating the TEST credit card account screwed up my checking account balance because it basically duplicated all of my payments from my checking account for those credit card bills. Fortunately I was able to regain the correct balance in my checking account by deleting the test account. (first I deleted the all of the transactions, then I deleted the account itself. I will NOT be creating a test account for my checking account because it could wreck havoc with the balances in ALL of my other accounts. I will just rely on my file backup if the migration to EWC+ is unsuccessful. Meanwhile, I did another download of the EWC+ updated credit card account and only got 1 duplicate transaction (for a balance payment last month for the card itself) which I simply deleted.
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I just looked at my test data file/test account and see the same, and I have a theory of why this shows up, and other than being "misleading" it really shouldn't be causing problems.
    >
    >
    >
    > You see what that link is suggesting to convert to Direct Connect.
    >
    > Let's imagine that the account is setup with Express Web Connect and Direct Connect is available.
    > This is exactly the link/message that you would expect to see.
    >
    > So, basically this part of the code is ignoring the + part of Express Web Connect + believing that Direct Connect is still available to improve the connection type.

Yes, that's what I wrote in the post that you quoted: "This also explains why, when I click the "improve connection" link, I'm unable to do it because I need a DC connection...and, of course, that warning is correct, because my connection is actually EWC+....".
  • drc409
    drc409 Member ✭✭
    Unable to link to my existing Chase mortgage or credit card accounts after Web connection change; couls only add new accounts. Now what?
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    As if I didn't need any more complications, I noticed this morning when I got my daily reminder to reauthorize my Chase accounts, that only 3 of my 4 accounts were listed. (I have 2 checking and 2 credit cards). I skipped the reauthorization pending some ray of hope from Quicken support.

My OSU worked normally for the DC accounts, but not for the XX counterparts. The little update progress wheels next to those accounts spun for about five minutes before "completing". However no new transactions were downloaded for those XX accounts, even though they were for the DC versions.

The 90-day transactions from earlier for the XX accounts are still in the downloaded bin, not cleared. It appears that some of the transactions actually do have some of the categories assigned, but since I haven't copied any legacy data over to the XX accounts, there's nothing to match them with.
  • Joe4369
    Joe4369 Member ✭✭
    This is what worked for me (so far). I called support and they walked me through this process: Make a copy of your current file and open it (File, Copy or Backup File, Create a copy or template). This will be your new file going forward. None of your accounts will be connected so you have to "Add Account" for each one and then link them to the existing accounts. This fixed transactions that were not downloading and the problem with wrong balances seems to have resolved since the update yesterday.
  • Eastwayroad
    Eastwayroad Member ✭✭✭
    FWIW...QWin user since '94 and never had so many download issues. Chase, Schwab & Fidelity have all been problematic lately.
    Due to tighter security measures?
This discussion has been closed.