New Chase Account Authorization Issues

Answers

• dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > for me - in reading the various scenarios - I went for the brute force manual method ...
    > 1 - manually DE-activate ALL Chase accounts ... checking for any old closed Chase accts
    > 2 - manually initiate the Quicken process with an ADD ACCOUNT for Chase -
    > and let it find the existing accts at both Chase AND Quicken

It's worth a try, thanks. Question: since I already have new duplicate accounts created by Quicken (XX renames) during my earlier attempt, as well as the originals, do you suggest I delete those XX accounts as if they were never there in the first place? Or just deactivate them?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dmhump1 you shouldn't delete your existing accounts, you will lose most of your history for that account if you do it.  You should only be deactivating the account for downloading.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @dmhump1 you shouldn't delete your existing accounts, you will lose most of your history for that account if you do it.  You should only be deactivating the account for downloading.

I was referring to the new, duplicate accounts that Quicken created when I first tried to convert to EWC+. They have the same names as my original accounts except for an "XX" prefix to the account #. They have no useful data in them. My original accounts are still intact with all my stuff of course I won't delete.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    dmhump1 said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @dmhump1 you shouldn't delete your existing accounts, you will lose most of your history for that account if you do it.  You should only be deactivating the account for downloading.

I was referring to the new, duplicate accounts that Quicken created when I first tried to convert to EWC+. They have the same names as my original accounts except for an "XX" prefix to the account #. They have no useful data in them. My original accounts are still intact with all my stuff of course I won't delete.
    Oh, yeah you can delete those (if you want to start over).

Note that if Quicken creates new accounts instead of linking to the old ones, or if linking to the old ones causes all kinds of problems what I would do is instead of fighting to get the linking to work right I would instead just move the transactions that are missing from the old account(s) and then delete the old accounts, using this procedure:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

It is a pain to do this, but still far easier than trying to make Quicken do this right when something goes wrong with it.
    Signature:
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Oh, yeah you can delete those (if you want to start over).
    >
    > Note that if Quicken creates new accounts instead of linking to the old ones, or if linking to the old ones causes all kinds of problems what I would do is instead of fighting to get the linking to work right I would instead just move the transactions that are missing from the old account(s) and then delete the old accounts, using this procedure:
    > FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken
    >
    > It is a pain to do this, but still far easier than trying to make Quicken do this right when something goes wrong with it.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    kattmandu said:
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.
    >
    > Thank you!

Known issue - Really? No ETA for the Fixes? September 26 is the published cut-off date for customers to migrate!
    Please postpone the mandatory completion date for the Chase Migration until the software is fixed and this migration is working.
    I agree. They should postpone cutoff and investment accounts they announced starting next week until this syncronization and download works like directconnect setup before. We should not have to spend hours fixing past reconciled records or worrying their updates will change years of transactions.  I can't say they actually fixed anything since ewc+ seemed to always download and overwrite records. I wonder if my manual download of .qfx file from chase using range after reconciled transactions, somehow influenced the ewc+ downloads instead of Quicken actually fixing anything.
  • > @JRod said:
    > I agree. They should postpone cutoff and investment accounts they announced starting next week until this syncronization and download works like directconnect setup before. We should not have to spend hours fixing past reconciled records or worrying their updates will change years of transactions.  I can't say they actually fixed anything since ewc+ seemed to always download and overwrite records. I wonder if my manual download of .qfx file from chase using range after reconciled transactions, somehow influenced the ewc+ downloads instead of Quicken actually fixing anything.

I agree. delay is the only answer out of respect for your longtime customers. After trying to power through todays download and automatic acceptance of duuplicate transactions, I have to reset to a previous backup again.

It is know where near fixed.
  • Texas Ed
    Texas Ed Member ✭✭
    Can I just totally deactivate existing Chase Accounts to preserve the records and "create" totally new accounts in Quicken using. I'm figuring I could add to the new accounts only the currently unreconciled transactions from the deactivated accounts. Has anyone tried this?
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    UPDATE:
    I tried the strategy suggested by @Ps56k2 above:
    1. Backed up the data file to a safe location. Made a note of the current balances on the accounts and pending transactions.
    2. DEACTIVATED all Chase accounts from online services. For me this was checking and credit cards only, no investment accounts. (Do not delete or hide - deactivate.)
    3. DELETED the XX accounts that had been added by Quicken during previous attempts to convert to EWC+ (these contained duplicate transactions from the last 90 days).
    4. Validated the data file to clean up any garbage. (There was a lot from old, closed accounts.)
    5. Ran the Add Account routine as if there had never been any Chase accounts and was setting them up for the first time. This took me to the authorization link with Chase, which I was very familiar with by now.

It seems to have worked! The account list indicates that all my Chase accounts are now set up for EWC+ services. None are showing Direct Connect. No duplicate transactions were downloaded and I couldn't find any errors or mis-linked transfers.

Things to know:
    This process took a VERY long time. It ran for a couple of hours. The window froze repeatedly. Several times I got "not responding" messages and Windows popups asking me if I wanted to close the program. I could tell from Task Manager that a lot of activity was occurring so I let it run its course.

No transactions were downloaded into the upgraded accounts. I had to run a One Step Update, which successfully downloaded new transactions and did not create duplicates. Account balances were as expected. Again, this update ran a LONG time, most of it connecting to cloud services. I let it do its thing.

I'm encouraged by this result, but for the near term I'm going to keep my backed up data file available in case everything blows up.
  • So has anyone figured put how to link to my existing Chase account? Like so many others, they don't appear in the drop down after going through the new steps.
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    I understand the suggestion to make a full backup prior to doing any attempts to make this connection work. I'm curious though. Do you put on hold any other updates to all of your other accounts while we you waiting it out to see if the process continues to work? Then if errors start showing up, the only accounts that have altered since the last backup are the bad ones with Chase?

Or is there some method of only restoring a particular account when you notice your Chase accounts start having problems?

I'm wondering since this issue has been lingering for so long, there is just a lot of other account changes that may have happened since the last known good backup.
  • I simply uncheck Chase in the OSU dialog box. This allows all the other accounts to update normally. Then manually update and reconcile chase.

Clear all downloads
    Back up.
    Rinse and repeat.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I understand the suggestion to make a full backup prior to doing any attempts to make this connection work. I'm curious though. Do you put on hold any other updates to all of your other accounts while we you waiting it out to see if the process continues to work? Then if errors start showing up, the only accounts that have altered since the last backup are the bad ones with Chase?
    I update my "best" backup file every few days to keep the non-Chase accounts up to date. You can uncheck the Chase accounts in the update settings or deactivate those accounts.
  • thorn5
    thorn5 Member ✭✭✭
    The reason for my question (For those who are still having issues/problems with this conversion, did all of you attempt the workarounds suggested in this and other threads prior to the release of version R43.26?")  is this...

For me, the Chase conversion worked perfectly.   After seeing everyone's horror stories, I elected to ignore Quicken's first attempt at this in early September and everyone else's well-intentioned "workaround" suggestions up until the time Quicken released R43.26, when I decided to take a leap of faith... applied the patch, followed the instructions, and it worked.

I am running Windows 11 and Quicken Deluxe, have never allowed Quicken to automatically categorize downloaded transactions (under preferences), have 6 Chase accounts (2 checking accounts, 1 savings account, and 3 credit cards) under one sign-in, and 2 more credit card accounts (for my wife) under another sign-in.

Hope this is helpful. 
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > I update my "best" backup file every few days to keep the non-Chase accounts up to date. You can uncheck the Chase accounts in the update settings or deactivate those accounts.

I understand how to uncheck the Chase accounts. Are you saying you test the Chase fix every so often then? Prior to testing, you hold all other accounts in a fixed state. Spend several days wondering if the newest fix for Chase / Quicken EWC is truly working. Not doing any other updates to the other accounts at that time. How long do we give this mess a chance to flush out and trust they got it right?

It seems like we are being held hostage to the Chase / Quicken EWC problem which impact all the other work we do within Quicken.

I hope that makes more sense in what I'm asking specifically.
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    > @Bradley Roseberry said:
    > I simply uncheck Chase in the OSU dialog box. This allows all the other accounts to update normally. Then manually update and reconcile chase.
    >
    > Clear all downloads
    > Back up.
    > Rinse and repeat.

Yes, but that doesn't help with testing if the fix for the Chase/Quicken EWC issues are resolved. I'm thinking all other work needs to be paused while investigating these fixes, otherwise you won't have a clean backup to use if Chase/Quicken EWC breaks again.

Hope that makes sense.
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    ERed said:
    > @dmhump1 said:
    > I update my "best" backup file every few days to keep the non-Chase accounts up to date. You can uncheck the Chase accounts in the update settings or deactivate those accounts.

I understand how to uncheck the Chase accounts. Are you saying you test the Chase fix every so often then? Prior to testing, you hold all other accounts in a fixed state. Spend several days wondering if the newest fix for Chase / Quicken EWC is truly working. Not doing any other updates to the other accounts at that time. How long do we give this mess a chance to flush out and trust they got it right?

It seems like we are being held hostage to the Chase / Quicken EWC problem which impact all the other work we do within Quicken.

I hope that makes more sense in what I'm asking specifically.
    I have several backups but there is one "break glass in case of emergency" back-up that I keep in a dedicated folder. I run one-step updates every couple of days for all NON-Chase accounts. This data file also contains the last good downloads for my Chase accounts (which are deactivated from online access), so it's not too much effort to update them manually, meanwhile all the older transactions are preserved.

My main data file is what I have been using to install and test the EWC+ conversion. This seems to be working properly for my Chase accounts now (finally!) -- my OSU ran perfectly this morning. I no longer get the prompts to upgrade and the Account List shows all Chase accounts activated for EWC+. A few more days and I'll have enough confidence to stop babysitting the backup. Meanwhile, it's still there in case the Chase connection implodes.
  • senequier
    senequier Member ✭✭
    As usual Intuit does a terrible job to support their customer, provide clear instructions and simplify migration. Same problem with their Quickbook product which I dumped! Other software do no have this problem. Other software can still use online payment. But Intuit wants you to pay more to use their pay bill system in a year. They systematically do obsolete programming! A disgrace and should go bankrupt!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    senequier said:
    As usual Intuit does a terrible job to support their customer, provide clear instructions and simplify migration. Same problem with their Quickbook product which I dumped! Other software do no have this problem. Other software can still use online payment. But Intuit wants you to pay more to use their pay bill system in a year. They systematically do obsolete programming! A disgrace and should go bankrupt!
    First off Intuit doesn't own Quicken any more, that has been true for many years now.  They are the "aggregators" for Quicken Inc though.  As for dumping online billing through Direct Connect/Chase that was Chase's decision, not Quicken Inc's.  Quicken Bill Manager was definitely created out of the need to have "some system" because the user demand it, and they picked the one that was the easiest for them to change to.  The third party that is providing it is the same one that provides "Online Bill Presentment" which they put in starting in Quicken 2015 (which BTW never has worked 100% reliable).

Note the connection flow for Express Web Connect + is:
    Quicken (the program) -> Quicken Cloud dataset -> Intuit server -> financial intuition's website.

As for "obsolete programming" Quicken in its entirety is obsolete programming!
    That is the nature of the beast and the fact that "Desktop personal finance programs" are diminishing, not growing.

Quicken Inc is never going to go bankrupt because it is just one little company funded by a capitol funding group.  But it entirely possible that you might get "your wish" in the for that they close down the business.  Microsoft got out of this business long ago.  Intuit sold off this lemon several years ago.  The capitol funding group they sold it to, sold it to another...
    Signature:
  • DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    senequier said:

Intuit sold Quicken off :  " Intuit sold Quicken to H.I.G. Capital in 2016, and H.I.G. sold Quicken to Aquiline Capital Partners in 2021."  

We started having trouble in 2021 with Schwab, now Chase.  I wonder were there any other changes at other banks or brokers besides these that went south.  Hmmm.

Got a suggestion for another software? 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DRMick said:

Got a suggestion for another software? 
    That can't be discussed in this forum.
    Signature:
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    > @dmhump1 said:

> @dmhump1 said:
    > I have several backups but there is one "break glass in case of emergency" back-up that I keep in a dedicated folder. I run one-step updates every couple of days for all NON-Chase accounts. This data file also contains the last good downloads for my Chase accounts (which are deactivated from online access), so it's not too much effort to update them manually, meanwhile all the older transactions are preserved.
    >
    > My main data file is what I have been using to install and test the EWC+ conversion. This seems to be working properly for my Chase accounts now (finally!) -- my OSU ran perfectly this morning. I no longer get the prompts to upgrade and the Account List shows all Chase accounts activated for EWC+. A few more days and I'll have enough confidence to stop babysitting the backup. Meanwhile, it's still there in case the Chase connection implodes.

Very helpful explanation. So, each time you want to update others accounts you open the "break glass" file separately, run updates on that file (excluding any connections to Chase accounts). Then 'resave' a new version of the "break glass" file.

Then you have a different file which is the 'live' copy. Are you updating all of the other non-Chase accounts in your 'live' main copy?

This means you are potentially having to duplicate your work though, right? For example if you want to split transactions, you would need to mimic the split in each of the files.

This is a great option though. Thanks for your help.
  • ERed
    ERed Member ✭✭
    > @Kurt said:
    > Today on Quicken R43.26 I successfully, without any problems, connected to Chase EWC+.
    >
    > The process I followed was:
    >
    > Backed-up my Quicken data to two locations (just to be safe). :)
    > Noted my net worth value at bottom of the account list.
    > Verified that “Automatically add to banking registers” was not checked in Preferences>Downloaded Transactions. I have no Chase investment accounts.
    > Clicked on One-Step update.
    > Clicked on Reauthorize.
    > Signed in with my Chase Userid and Password.
    > Back in Quicken, I verified that each of my four Chase accounts were linked to the correct Quicken account. They were defaulted correctly.
    > Clicked on Finish on the conversion.
    > Verified that my net worth value was still the same.
    > I got one previously accepted transaction in each Chase account in the downloaded transactions window that I deleted.
    > Verified that each account showed EWC+.
    > Closed Quicken and opened Quicken and did a One-Step update again. No transactions were downloaded.

Thanks for these steps. Very helpful. So far, my new EWC+ connection appears to be working properly.

I added a couple of other things to compare:
    - Record the number of transactions in each Chase account prior to the reauthorization. Compare the numbers afterwards.
    - Opening balance & opening balance date (for each Chase account), before vs. after reauthorization
    - Final account balances (for each Chase account), before vs. after reauthorization

I also decided to create a report showing all of the itemized categories transactions for each Chase account for all time. This is helpful to check if categories are getting wiped off of the transactions. This might also be used to correct any categorization issues after the reauthorization.
  • > @ERed said:
    > > @Bradley Roseberry said:
    > > I simply uncheck Chase in the OSU dialog box. This allows all the other accounts to update normally. Then manually update and reconcile chase.
    > >
    > > Clear all downloads
    > > Back up.
    > > Rinse and repeat.
    >
    > Yes, but that doesn't help with testing if the fix for the Chase/Quicken EWC issues are resolved. I'm thinking all other work needs to be paused while investigating these fixes, otherwise you won't have a clean backup to use if Chase/Quicken EWC breaks again.
    >
    > Hope that makes sense.

I left a step out. I backup the file after the OSU without Chase. Then do OSU with Chase checked to see if it is clear. When it’s not clear I reinstall the previous back up. I accept I will have to do some cleanup once it’s stable. But right now every time it’s a different thing. All this with R.23.
  • JRod
    JRod Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Chase investment accounts now going through EWC+ connection migration.  Fortunately it seems to have gone OK.  The first time it asked to convert the chase investment accounts during first OSU, I skipped it.  I just did OSU for all other accounts except Chase investments.  Fortunately, those worked fine without issues with the downloaded transactions.  Validated and created new backup before trying the Chase investment conversion.   In that process, it did the reauthorization, but when back to Quicken it failed as it seemed to have timed out.  I had to kick the update again from Quicken's signon screen for revalidation again.  It showed all the Chase accounts that I want to authorize for Quicken.  When back at the Quicken screen, it matched the investment accounts with those in Quicken.  It tried to link my banking accounts again, but since those were done I didn't want to mess with them and had them skipped.   It downloaded months of investment transactions but fortunately matched those already reconciled in the register and did not alter the records.  I matched one of them and noticed it changed the R - Reconciled to C - Cleared in the register which is not what I expected or wanted to do.  Since all the other downloaded transactions were already reconciled and in the register, I deleted them from the downloaded transactions window so it doesn't mess with my already existing records.  After all of that, I went to the one record it changed, and changed it back to Reconciled.   Did OSU again and it seems good.  Keeping fingers crossed and creating multiple backups along the way to restore to latest good point in time.

• SteveY
    SteveY Member ✭✭
    Is anyone else importing Chase credit card transactions manually (QFX file) and seeing the following:

Import using the Edit Account Details blue "download and import transactions" link, selecting the card account (the only one listed), using a date range (9/13-9/20). As I noted above, change the account number in the QFX file to match the shortened number used in Quicken after the EWC+ change.

- a negative Beginning Balance transaction dated in the year 2079
    - a second "Credit Card at Chase" account is created, with a negative Beginning Balance set, dated March 24, no other transactions
    - transactions successfully go into the original card account
    ?
  • dmhump1
    dmhump1 Member ✭✭✭
    ERed said:
    > @dmhump1 said:

> @dmhump1 said:
    > I have several backups but there is one "break glass in case of emergency" back-up that I keep in a dedicated folder. I run one-step updates every couple of days for all NON-Chase accounts. This data file also contains the last good downloads for my Chase accounts (which are deactivated from online access), so it's not too much effort to update them manually, meanwhile all the older transactions are preserved.
    >
    > My main data file is what I have been using to install and test the EWC+ conversion. This seems to be working properly for my Chase accounts now (finally!) -- my OSU ran perfectly this morning. I no longer get the prompts to upgrade and the Account List shows all Chase accounts activated for EWC+. A few more days and I'll have enough confidence to stop babysitting the backup. Meanwhile, it's still there in case the Chase connection implodes.

Very helpful explanation. So, each time you want to update others accounts you open the "break glass" file separately, run updates on that file (excluding any connections to Chase accounts). Then 'resave' a new version of the "break glass" file.

Then you have a different file which is the 'live' copy. Are you updating all of the other non-Chase accounts in your 'live' main copy?

This means you are potentially having to duplicate your work though, right? For example if you want to split transactions, you would need to mimic the split in each of the files.

This is a great option though. Thanks for your help.
    Right, although my "break glass" file is saved automatically in the Quicken folder, so I don't have to re-save it, unless there's a problem and I want to give it a different name. 

My "live" copy is what I hope to be my main file going forward, so I update all accounts on that one.

There is some duplication of effort to be sure, but I figured that's better than having to try to reconstruct everything later if things blow up. OSU is functioning okay now for the third day so I'm hopeful this will be temporary. If 9/26 is D-Day, I'll wait until then to re-evaluate.

You do need to remember that Quicken opens the last-used data file by default, so be careful not to mix them up. (Been there done that.)
  • > @JRod said:
    > Well, Chase investment accounts now going through EWC+ connection migration.  Fortunately it seems to have gone OK.  The first time it asked to convert the chase investment accounts during first OSU, I skipped it.  I just did OSU for all other accounts except Chase investments.  Fortunately, those worked fine without issues with the downloaded transactions.  Validated and created new backup before trying the Chase investment conversion.   In that process, it did the reauthorization, but when back to Quicken it failed as it seemed to have timed out.  I had to kick the update again from Quicken's signon screen for revalidation again.  It showed all the Chase accounts that I want to authorize for Quicken.  When back at the Quicken screen, it matched the investment accounts with those in Quicken.  It tried to link my banking accounts again, but since those were done I didn't want to mess with them and had them skipped.   It downloaded months of investment transactions but fortunately matched those already reconciled in the register and did not alter the records.  I matched one of them and noticed it changed the R - Reconciled to C - Cleared in the register which is not what I expected or wanted to do.  Since all the other downloaded transactions were already reconciled and in the register, I deleted them from the downloaded transactions window so it doesn't mess with my already existing records.  After all of that, I went to the one record it changed, and changed it back to Reconciled.   Did OSU again and it seems good.  Keeping fingers crossed and creating multiple backups along the way to restore to latest good point in time.

Working from yesterdays restored backup
    Did OSU of all accounts with Chase Checking, CCard, Savings, and Invest still in Direct Connect mode
    Accepted all new transactions in all accounts
    Reconciled all accounts
    Backed up
    OSU and checked the "Reauthorize" button for Chase Checking, CCard, Savings
    All but 1 transaction came in correctly and it was a loan payment from today. I fixed that transaction.
    OSU again and checked the "Reauthorize" button for Chase Invest account. Downloaded 30 plus transactions for me to accept. They were all already in the register therefore I deleted them.

Fingers crossed, did OSU again and everything no new changes all looks good.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow's update. Backing up today's.
This discussion has been closed.