Ability to highlight a transaction in color

kmclancy
kmclancy Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
The ability to use a Highlighter on a transaction, seams to only be a discussion issue for the Mac version. I would especially like it due to the Covid-19 Assisted Living facilities in person restrictions I have to help my mother via a remote desktop. Due to her limited vision I spend a lot of time moving the cursor in a circle over a transaction to bring it to her attention. If I could change the transaction background color it would help. Also it would help me if I could highlight reconciliation added transactions, it would be easer to find a highlighted line scrolling than to look for the minuscule flag on my tablet view of her desktop. Her Bank creates problems by updating the online balance a day before adding the transaction, so the reconciliation is always wonting to add correction, that the next day need to be removed because the real transaction has been added to the register. The ability to Highlight would also make remote comparison to bank statements easer to find dup transactions.
35 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 10/21/23 - CBT-194

Comments

• Quicken Community
    edited December 2018
    Quicken currently doesn't have this feature, but it would be helpful to me and probably others. Can it be added in as part of a future update?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I click on a transaction in a register, its background color changes to a bluish gray. Is the problem that background isn't distinct enough? Perhaps try changing the register background color in Edit > Preferences > Register > Colors such that the bluish gray highlighting contrasts more with unselected transactions.
    It sounds like you or she is doing auto reconcile after every download. Given that the bank is always sending inconsistent data, maybe you should disable auto reconcile. If you reconcile against actual bank statements, those will be far enough in the past that the transactions and balance will be consistent.
    I'm not denigrating your idea, just suggesting some workarounds that might help a bit.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• kmclancy
    kmclancy Member ✭✭
    I am looking for a permanent Highlight not the "editing transaction highlight. Something I can highlight this week and easily see two weeks later, it also needs to be able to highlight multiple transactions.

Your suggestion to disable auto reconcile has been my only workaround, she no longer reconciles, but leaves it to me to figure out. thus the need the permanent highlight for questionable transactions I maybe looking for a month later.

I have been setting flags, but due to remote viewing of my mothers extra large fount, from my Windows surface tablet the flags are difficult to find while scrolling back through a month or two looking for them.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not place some special symbols in the memo field such as *** Note *** or some such. This can easily be seen or searched on. 
  • kmclancy
    kmclancy Member ✭✭
    "If you reconcile against actual bank statements, those will be far enough in the past that the transactions and balance will be consistent"

Your correct this is the only sure way. Once again it may only be an issue for be because I have to do it remotely, But I think it would be helpful to be able to Highlight all the bank statement transactions without having to permanently change them from cleared to reconciled, especially in the case where some of the transactions may have already been marked as reconciled.
  • kmclancy
    kmclancy Member ✭✭
    "Why not place some special symbols in the memo field such as *** Note *** or some such. This can easily be seen or searched on."

My only problem with that suggestion is my mother likes using the memo field for explanations/Discerptions of the transaction
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I didn't understand you want highlighting that persists across sessions. That's a reasonable idea. I voted for it, and you should also.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Brian_STL19
    Brian_STL19 Unconfirmed, Member
    I have been wanting to do the same thing. I would love to be able to highlight entire lines. For example assign my electric bill a aqua blue, gas bill green etc... this way I can verify all my major expenses have been deducted. Or flag deposits in colors when they are in regards to a loan for something. My Father is ill right now as well and I have a lot of money going in several directions.
  • Mark Velarde
    Mark Velarde Member ✭✭
    Upvoted. I agree with all the above suggestions. When I reconcile with the monthly bank statement I insert "****END OF STATEMENT**** after the last item. It would be nice if it were yellow highlighted for easy reference. The grayed out reconciled items are not distinct enough.
  • ptlinva
    ptlinva Member
    Here it is, almost 2023. This feature has been requested for a LONG TIME. It would assist those of us who are elderly and whose eyesight is failing. Please add the ability to highlight transactions in different colors across sessions. It's only being used to draw attention - not change any financial calculations - just to make it more user-friendly.
  • regracia
    regracia Member ✭✭

It will be nice to have the ability to individual type of transaction on your register to have different colors like a pending quick pay in different color or a pending income reminder on a different color etc. basically a bill reminder not matched for a transaction to have a different color vs just highlighted

• Patteee!
    Patteee! Member

I am looking for the SAME ROW and/or FIELD HIGHLIGHT TOOL. Please add this feature so a highlighted ROW or FIELD will visually jump out at me as soon as I open Quicken W10. 🤞🖐️🧐📒📒📒

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.