Traditional 401K Zero Employer Match Issue

System
System Member admin
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Roth 401K Workaround stopped working correctly.

Comments

• The zero Employer match Uncategorized issue also happening with my traditional 401k
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be some issue with 401K in general, I thought it was just my "workaround" impacted but apparently not.  The latest update from the other day hasn't resolved it either.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since @System has created this thread, I will add what I am now doing to workaround the disappearing 401(k) account when zero is entered as the Employee contribution. It's technically incorrect, but the impact is negligible.

I am entering 1 cent into the 401(k) account contribution to keep the account attached to the paycheck.
    Then in the Earnings section, I have added an "Other Earning" of 1 cent that also goes to my 401(k) account, so they offset each other to keep my 401(k) cash balance correct.

If Quicken doesn't fix this issue, I may have 26 cents of additional income in some of the tax reports over the next year. Oh well, it is worth it to stop all the nonsense the Paycheck is doing.

@System - If you are part of Quicken, is this issue under review for a fix?

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• BillOKeefe
    BillOKeefe Member ✭✭
    @System Sounds to me like there are at least two similar issues with 401k contributions setup in a Paycheck. They may ultimately be different symptoms for the same problem, but my issue is losing the Category when the Employer contribution is zero, as opposed to the "disappearing 401(k) account when zero is entered as the Employee contribution" as described by @imdcareys.
  • Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue here, the workaround is , now I am add $0.01 as an employer match, and less 0.01 fro m 401k contribution. Qjuicken need to fix this new issue started last year, oct 2022 or so.
  • TJ-Wolf
    TJ-Wolf Member ✭✭
    @"Umesh Patel" I am doing the same workaround, but my XOut in the 401k account is going to a "Clearing Account" set up as an offline cash account. Then I offset the $.01 with a payment to _401kEmployerContrib, which is a hidden investment/income category that also needs to be corrected.
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    I'm encountering this problem using version R46.12, the most current version.
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    Doesn't seem to be fixed in the new R47.7.
  • CFBro
    CFBro Member
    Not fixed in R47.11.
  • Still not fixed!!!!
  • delu723
    delu723 Member ✭✭✭
    Experiencing this issue, as well. Behavior changed noticed with the July/August 2022 update(s) and, again with November 2022 update(s). Reported several issues with these updates, including this one, to support. Limited remediation to date.
    Currently using R47.15
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    Per this idea thread, Quicken Has support for Roth 401(K) under development. The link posted there didn't work for me, but shorten it to this worked: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7905566

An ETA was not mentioned so sit tight!

• CFBro
    CFBro Member
    Thank you, lmdcareys! Support for Roth would be welcome! But I just want to confirm that the issue in this thread (as I see it) is a bug in the Payroll Setup, wherein a $0.00 entry in 401(k) Employer Matching results in an uncategorized transaction. $0.00 entries are unavoidable, happening in pay entries that occur after an employer finishes making their maximum 401(k) matching contributions while the employee continues making 401(k) contributions.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭

CFBro, You're welcome!

The only thing I do know about zero amounts, is that I am unable to enter any type of transaction with an amount of zero in any of my investment registers. This makes me think that Quicken may have done this intentionally, but it is only a theoryl

• bhazelton
    bhazelton Member

I'm having the same problem, I think, but it's happening even though I have a non-zero value for my employer contribution.

Starting in January, 2023 it is being entered as an uncategorized transaction, before that it was entered properly as _401EmployerContrib. Nothing actually changed in my paycheck at that time, it just changed how it was being entered in Quicken.

When I try to categorize it, it seems to work (no error) but it doesn't actually change anything.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is same problem, but it look like it to me. R48.8 is in staged release paused mode:

Once they are convinced this release doesn't have any major problems they will release it to everyone.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bhazelton
    bhazelton Member

I should have mentioned that I'm seeing this in Quicken for Mac (Version 6.12.3), not Windows. But it seems like the same problem. I looked for a thread on this topic under Quicken for Mac and didn't see one.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

That is going to be a completely different problem. And you need to post using New Post from the top this page in a Quicken Mac thread. The problem in Quicken Windows stems from a change in the Pay Check wizard, and from what I understand Quicken Mac doesn't even have a paycheck wizard.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭

So today's update appears to have "fixed" the issue by simply not saying you have uncategorized transactions on the main/home screen. The account still disappears from the $0 transaction in the paycheck, and if I run an uncategorized transaction report all paychecks since early November 2022 still show up.

We really need true Roth 401k support, and Quicken also needs to realize that there are cases where either the employee or employer contribution will be 0 at times. Undo whatever "fix" was done in November at the very least. While I like not having the useless $0 transactions showing up in the 401K account, just hiding the issue isn't a good fix. But I see this update released new features for Premium and Home/Business users so I guess they're focused on trying to get people to pay more.

• bjbeck7
    bjbeck7 Member

Can confirm this is still an issue after the latest update. I see no change in behavior.

• Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭

I can confirm the new fix, 27.1.48.15, it FIX the issue of matching. It does not show as a uncategroized transaction anymore.

• Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you sure - run a report. On mine they just stopped showing it on the main screen but it still shows as uncategorized and still won't allow an account to be specified in the paycheck when there is a $0 item.

• Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭

True in the report it does show up at uncategorized, with $0

This discussion has been closed.