Mac Budget to include an optional "Everything Else" area for categories used that are not budgeted

2»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2021
    @badmoves There is no "hesitancy" from the developers. What there is, instead, is a backlog of several hundred feature requests.

While this particular idea may be a "no brainer" to you, I can assure you there are many, many other feature requests which are no brainers to fellow Quicken users. Because we all use Quicken so differently, what's most urgent for one user is of limited or no interest to another, and vice versa. For instance, many Quicken users don't even use the budget area of the program, while for other users, it's the fundamental reason they use Quicken. 

It will take years of ongoing development to reduce the number of feature ideas awaiting creation; some will be delivered in the near future, while others will remain pending for a long time, as they simply don't have the staff and resources to move faster than they have been moving.

I'd note that this Idea request has garnered 25 votes over the past 15 months. There are other Ideas which have multiple hundreds of votes, and while the developers don't go strictly in vote count order, the number of votes do play a role in how high certain ideas are on their development roadmap. For anyone reading this thread who wants to see this functionality added to Quicken Mac, add your vote at the top of this thread. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This would be a very welcome addition for those of us who actually use the budget.  
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    Much needed and a big time savior.  Just make sure if you do add it to allow a double-click on the other amount so that the offending transactions can be reviewed.
  • Very good at putting questions on this account but where are the answers!! to the questions!!
  • jacobs
    Very good at putting questions on this account but where are the answers!! to the questions!!
    @Jerry Middleton If you're referring to this topic, it is an "Idea" topic, where the first post expresses the desire for a new or enhanced feature in the program, and subsequent posts users elaborate on why it's a useful idea, or how they'd like to see it implemented. And there's a vote counter for other users to vote if they want to see the idea implemented. the idea of these posts it to push the feature idea to the developers, if it gets enough traction among the user community. There are no "answers" to a feature request until the developers say "here it is!" If you have actual questions about how to do something in Quicken, you should create a New Question and ask, so others here might be able to help you.
  • Timm123
    Timm123 Member
    Would love to see this implemented. Even if users ultimately wanted to create separate budget lines for categories they left out initially, having a "everything else" catch all would make this easier by allowing them to see quickly and in one place what they'd left out.
  • mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I, too, would very much love to see this feature implemented. It was very handy to have the Windows version of Quicken to show all the other transactions that were spent. Along with the request to allow the budget to show the full categories. 

jacobs said:

I'd note that this Idea request has garnered 25 votes over the past 15 months. There are other Ideas which have multiple hundreds of votes
    Is there a way to filter and see the top votes? I am probably filtering wrong. 
  • mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

I'd note that this Idea request has garnered 25 votes over the past 15 months. There are other Ideas which have multiple hundreds of votes
    Is there a way to filter and see the top votes? I am probably filtering wrong. 
  • Just doing what I can (besides upvoting) to keep this alive... many years later, still not implemented for mac, and it still seems such a fundamental feature for anybody who actually uses a budget in real life
  • DCKiwi
    DCKiwi Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Totally agree @kevinpauli! I don't know how most other people budget, but I have no interest in defining specific budget amounts for every possible category. With the exception of a few specific categories where I'm trying to manage my spending (dining out, for example), I want to give myself a single monthly discretionary budget to spend on *whatever* I want. If I spend $100 on clothes, that's $100 less I can spend on something else.

I honestly don't understand how people manage budgets with specific amounts for every possible category. Quicken team, please consider adding this feature!
  • jacobs
    @DCKiwi You could create a simple budget to do what you want. Create a category for Budgeted Expenses. Set up a budget with that category as well as all other expense categories you use. Enter two budget values: Dining Out and Budgeted Expenses. This way, your total expenses actual versus budget will show you how much you’re ahead or behind your budget. The other categories hav no budgeted amounts, but will display your actual spending so you can see where your funds went.
  • Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.