Windows 7 Compatibility

FuzzyJohn
FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
[Removed - Speculation]
In September of 2020 I chose to not renew my subscription.
A couple of days ago I downloaded the latest version (I believe v27.1.44.28) and attempted to install it on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine. It looks like the installation succeeded. I did not receive any errors regarding Windows 7. The process stopped because my subscription was expired.
So... does the current version of Quicken still run on Windows 7?
I'd hate to pay to renew my subscription and then find out that Quicken will not run on Windows 7 after the fact.
I am aware of the obvious replies about using an OS that is no longer supported. My Quicken 2020 runs on a Windows 7 Pro laptop without Internet access. I am not connecting to any financial institutions and all data is manually entered.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    The only issue with Win 7 that I recall hearing about is a Direct Connect issue with Wells Fargo.  I suspect that is an issue caused by WF, not by Quicken, because I have not heard of any similar issue with any other Financial Institutions.  Nor have I heard of any issues running Quicken subscription manually on Win 7.  But perhaps there are issues occurring that I have not yet heard about.

Since you are not using any online services and using it only manually it should be OK but Quicken stopped supporting Win 7 in Jan 2020 so they make no guarantees that it will function normally.  Also, when there are problems encountered with running on Win 7 their standard response usually is "Upgrade to Win 10/11" and offer no or very little support beyond that.  So, if you do use Quicken (your current version or the latest new version) with Win 7 you are using it at your own risk.

What you could do is place your subscription order and try it out.  You will need to pay for it immediately but if you don't like it for any reason you may cancel your subscription and get a full refund within 30 days of the purchase.  So, it really is no financial risk to you and you can reinstall the version you are currently running.

But if you are going to continue using Quicken manually and your current version is working OK for you then why do you want to resubscribe?  Resubscription will not really be gaining you much except for the elimination of the renewal reminder banner and with each iteration of Quicken I would think the risk increases for encountering Win 7 compatibility issues.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Win 7 is not a supported operating system for current Q products.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has a 30 day refund policy, buy from Quicken, Inc so that the return is easy if it won't run on your Win7 installation.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    The only issue with Win 7 that I recall hearing about is a Direct Connect issue with Wells Fargo.  I suspect that is an issue caused by WF, not by Quicken, because I have not heard of any similar issue with any other Financial Institutions.  Nor have I heard of any issues running Quicken subscription manually on Win 7.  But perhaps there are issues occurring that I have not yet heard about.

Since you are not using any online services and using it only manually it should be OK but Quicken stopped supporting Win 7 in Jan 2020 so they make no guarantees that it will function normally.  Also, when there are problems encountered with running on Win 7 their standard response usually is "Upgrade to Win 10/11" and offer no or very little support beyond that.  So, if you do use Quicken (your current version or the latest new version) with Win 7 you are using it at your own risk.

What you could do is place your subscription order and try it out.  You will need to pay for it immediately but if you don't like it for any reason you may cancel your subscription and get a full refund within 30 days of the purchase.  So, it really is no financial risk to you and you can reinstall the version you are currently running.

But if you are going to continue using Quicken manually and your current version is working OK for you then why do you want to resubscribe?  Resubscription will not really be gaining you much except for the elimination of the renewal reminder banner and with each iteration of Quicken I would think the risk increases for encountering Win 7 compatibility issues.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I might wrong, but I think Quicken Subscription actively prevents running on Windows 7.

You might see if this will help with your problem:
    Reinstalling and patching your Quicken Subscription version after your membership has expired | Quicken

Also, if you are "reverse patching" to a very old version it might not work right, no matter what the article says.
    In that case I would use this original install for Quicken Subscription with your network disabled, and then patch to the right version (forward patching).
    Install For Quicken 2018 - Subscription - QuicknPerlWiz
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > But if you are going to continue using Quicken manually and your current version is working OK for you then why do you want to resubscribe?  Resubscription will not really be gaining you much except for the elimination of the renewal reminder banner and with each iteration of Quicken I would think the risk increases for encountering Win 7 compatibility issues.

Every now and then you get that urge to see "the latest and greatest".
  • FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac: Thanks!
  • Boatnmaniac
    FuzzyJohn said:
    @Boatnmaniac: Thanks!
    You are welcome.

• Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    I might wrong, but I think Quicken Subscription actively prevents running on Windows 7.
    Maybe for only new installations of Quicken?   I don't think I've heard that before but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

But for existing installations of Quicken on Win 7:  There are still quite a few people currently running Quicken on Windows 7 who seem to have full functionality....except for several in one thread regarding DC issues and Wells Fargo.  They can still get DC with other FIs and they can still get EWC and WC with WF but no DC with WF.   Several of those Win 7 (and Win 8/8.1) WF folks who have not been able connect with DC have now upgraded to Win 10 and all of sudden they are able to get DC with WF set up and working, again.  This issue to me seems more like a FI-specific Win 7 issue with DC, not a general Quicken Win 7 issue. 

If you have not already seen that lengthy WF thread:    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20327416#Comment_20327416.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I probably just remember incorrectly.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Boatnmaniac I probably just remember incorrectly.
    That happens all too often with me.  Welcome to the club.

• paw7902
    paw7902 Member
    @Boatnmaniac : you said:

"What you could do is place your subscription order and try it out. You will need to pay for it immediately but if you don't like it for any reason you may cancel your subscription and get a full refund within 30 days of the purchase. So, it really is no financial risk to you and you can reinstall the version you are currently running."

This is wrong.

Although the windows 2017 deluxe reinstalls, it will not read a password protected file that was created by the old software. BEWARE people there is a downside to trying out the new Quicken on windows 7 machine.
  • Boatnmaniac
    paw7902 said:
    @Boatnmaniac : you said:

"What you could do is place your subscription order and try it out. You will need to pay for it immediately but if you don't like it for any reason you may cancel your subscription and get a full refund within 30 days of the purchase. So, it really is no financial risk to you and you can reinstall the version you are currently running."

This is wrong.

Although the windows 2017 deluxe reinstalls, it will not read a password protected file that was created by the old software. BEWARE people there is a downside to trying out the new Quicken on windows 7 machine.
    I'm not following you.

First, the part of my post that you referenced here is about Quicken's refund policy for orders placed for Subscription.  Order it, pay for it, try it out and if within 30 days you do not like it for any reason (including if it does not work correctly) you can cancel the subscription and get a full refund.  This Quicken Refund Policy (Terms and Conditions For Exchanging, Canceling, or Refunding Quicken Products [Support Article]) is very clear.  Please explain what you mean by "This is wrong."

In addition, this thread is about installing Quicken Subscription on Win 7, not about reinstalling QWin 2017 on Win 7.  Quicken support for QWin 2017 ended nearly 3 yrs ago and reinstalling it (or newly installing it), in most cases, will not work on any Windows OS, whether it is Win 7, Win 8/8.1, Win 10 or Win 11.

I do not know if installing the latest version of QWin Subscription on Win 7 will work or not.  That is why I had suggested ordering QWin Subscription and then requesting a refund within 30 days if it did not meet expectations.  However, I do know that there are users running QWin Subscription on Win 7 and, except for the Direct Connect issue specifically with Wells Fargo, are doing so without much issue.

You then warn that there is a downside to trying out the "new Quicken" on Win 7.   The "new Quicken" is QWin Subscription, not QWin 2017.   What is this "downside" to running QWin Subscription on Win 7?  And what is "the old software" (which Quicken version/year) are you referring to?

• FuzzyJohn
    FuzzyJohn Member ✭✭
    I did renew my Deluxe subscription and got a discount of almost $24. After that I installed the downloaded installation file for the latest version. My data file was converted (or updated) and then I logged in and everything seems to be OK. I'll play with it for a couple of weeks before I decide to keep it or get a refund.
  • Boatnmaniac
    FuzzyJohn said:
    I did renew my Deluxe subscription and got a discount of almost $24. After that I installed the downloaded installation file for the latest version. My data file was converted (or updated) and then I logged in and everything seems to be OK. I'll play with it for a couple of weeks before I decide to keep it or get a refund.
    Great!  BTW, you should note that there are some issues being reported with R45.XX versions. Not everyone is experiencing those issues and they are not specific to any one operating system.  So, if you do identify issues with your R45.21 installation, let us know.  There are things that can be done to help eliminate those issues.