Mac High Sierra QXF Transfer File to Windows 10 Import Fail?

Hi Quicken Community Peeps,

So, after being informed that Quicken will no longer support development for older Mac OS (High Sierra for me, and I can go no higher OS-wise on my 2012 Mac Pro), I tried exporting the QXF Transfer File but it fails to import into my Windows 10 version of Quicken. I just got out of chat with Quicken Support and was told that the High Sierra export transfer file is not compatible with the Windows import function. Great.

SO, anyone have any work arounds? I don't have access to a newer Mac to load up and save my data file out of and leap-frog into Windows that way.

I was able to upload my file to Quicken Web, but can't seem to find an option to download it into Windows that way either...

Thanks for any help.

Deg

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @apezeroviking,

Thank you for visiting the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

May I ask which version of Quicken for Mac you exported the QXF file from? Was it the subscription model? Also, what is the exact error you receive when attempting to import the file to Quicken for Windows? If you could also include a screenshot of this error, that would be helpful. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach screenshots. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Hi Anja, and thank you for you response. Attached are the version plates and error message displayed in Windows.

Thanks again,
    Deg
  • dugger24
    dugger24 Member
    I hope there is a work around as I am experiencing the same issue and do not want to lose years of financial data converting to Microsoft.
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Hi dugger24,

As an alternative, you can upload your file to the Web version of Quicken and go from there. Last ditch scenario I will buy a new MacBook, load Quicken onto it along along with my data file and export it out and copy the new updated transfer to my Windows machine, then wipe the Mac and return it. Either that or rent a Mac for a day to do the same.

Deg
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi dugger24,

As an alternative, you can upload your file to the Web version of Quicken and go from there.
    There isn't a standalone web version of Quicken.  You would always need the Desktop version to be updated.

I have seen about three threads with failure to import the QXF file.  In this case it seems to be from an older version of Quicken Mac, but in other cases it isn't.  I wonder if Quicken Mac put something new into the QXF file that Quicken Windows hasn't been updated to deal with.

At any rate, with nothing more than "Import Fail" there isn't anything to go on.  There might be more information in the log file.
    Help -> Contact Support -> Log Files -> .QXF File Import Results.  Note that in another thread that user found there wasn't any log, which suggests it failed before it even got started.

At any rate, I don't think anyone other than the developers can actually debug/fix this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    That's what gets me; Quicken sends me emails for the last few weeks telling me that their development will be ending for older Mac OSs and then they leave me (and anyone with the same circumstance) twisting in the wind not being able to move their file over to Window 10 now.

How about informing me BACK WHEN you were going to stop the export-Mac/import-Windows support so I could have transferred my file THEN to Windows back when is was POSSIBLE???
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    How about informing me BACK WHEN you were going to stop the export-Mac/import-Windows support so I could have transferred my file THEN to Windows back when is was POSSIBLE???
    This wasn't done intentionally, as such they couldn't give you a warning about it.  It is clearly some kind of bug.
    Signature:
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Oh, I don't think it was intentional. I not that type of victim-whiner. I just think they should have been -on it- as a consideration in the natural course of winding up development. When I first got my PC about two years ago (that I now use as my work station as I am a visual effects artist) I loaded up Quicken on it and did the QXD transfer file thang just o have the option of moving to my PC if needed (which I do now) and it worked just fine. So along the way the export/import code got lost or mangled in the development cracks, sure sure. However, moving into winding up development, I would think, as a supe and project/people manager myself, that I would focus on the full spectrum egress options for the all customers concerned.
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    My other Question would be, if Quicken is going to leave users stranded in development past, are they going to just let us run our Quicken for free as a stand-alone-frozen permanent license or at the very least a discounted subscribtion rate given that we will no longer be able to get updates and connect to financial institutions online (which I don't anywho, but it's the principle of it to me)?
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > There isn't a standalone web version of Quicken.  You would always need the Desktop version to be updated.

Hey Chris. you seem to have some tech insight into Quicken... Since I can upload my data to the web version, is there no way, since the web version has a version file of my data, id there no way to download that info into the Windows version of Quicken and thus “transfer” the file that way through the web version of Quicken?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, there isn't any way to download what is in the Web version into Quicken Windows Desktop.  It is only a partial copy of your data in any case.

As for the rest.  I will leave that to @Quicken Anja and the rest of Quicken Inc to answer, since there is no way for me as a user to know that.

Note that the transfer from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows has always been problematic, not even ever supporting importing of investment transactions for instance. There seemed to be much more support for going the other way, from Windows to Mac.

One thing that struck me when you mentioned it working in the past would be to try importing it into Quicken Windows 2013 Deluxe which you can get from here for free (you will have to uninstall Quicken Subscription first):
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

If that works, then you can just reinstall Quicken Subscription and it will convert the Quicken 2013 data file in the newest format.
    Signature:
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Hmmm, I will look into that suggestion, brother, thanks! 🙏
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Hmmm, same error red X message; Import failed. OK
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm out of ideas, sorry that didn't work.
    Signature:
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    Thanks just the same, brother. I appreciate the attempt. 🙏

I'm gonna try this dude's Catalina patch on a new external hard drive that I just ordered and see what that gets me...

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

I will post back results when I get them. 🤙
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    It's a no-go. Apple seems to have expired the loader certificate on the Catalina mac OS installer and even trying the old trick of setting your computer's date back in time doesn't work. So it seems, even if you wanted to upgrade to Catalina on a newer Mac, you couldn't, as again, Apple did what Apple does and kabooshed the older OS installers as they don't like old versions of their OS out there still operating wild.

So Quicken Anja, you work for Quicken, what does Quicken intend to do about this? Seems you need to step up your coding/bug fix game if you want to be an honorable service to your older Mac OS customers and get High Sierra to be able to spit out an QXF export that the Windows 10 version of Quicken can actually see. Come on, do the right thing, please.
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello @apezeroviking,
    >
    > Thank you for visiting the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > May I ask which version of Quicken for Mac you exported the QXF file from? Was it the subscription model? Also, what is the exact error you receive when attempting to import the file to Quicken for Windows? If you could also include a screenshot of this error, that would be helpful. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach screenshots. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.
    >
    > Thank you!

So Quicken Anja, you work for Quicken, what does Quicken intend to do about this? Seems you need to step up your coding/bug fix game if you want to be an honorable service to your older Mac OS customers and get High Sierra to be able to spit out an QXF export that the Windows 10 version of Quicken can actually see. Come on, do the right thing, please.
  • apezeroviking
    apezeroviking Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    So, just ghost me, that's your response, @Quicken Anja? How very basic.
This discussion has been closed.