Quicken Freezes and Goes Grey When Reconnecting CapitalOne Quicksilver or SavorOne Cards

When I try to reconnect my CapitalOne Quicksilver or SavorOne cards, Quicken freezes and goes grey. I then have to close the app with Task Manager.

I have just recently had to toss a corrupted file and start reconnecting everything to a copy. Such a royal pain!

Comments

• Hello @Shannon M M,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this error. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the CapitalOne and SavorOne account(s) to see if it produces the same issue with the screen freezing and going grey. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Yes. As I mentioned, I had to perform this task just a few days ago when troubleshooting another problem with multiple bank account connections.

So I’ve followed your instructions and the CapitalOne accounts were successfully added to the test file. But if I open my main file, the problem persists. Also, to save us some time, I also performed the Validate and Super Validate operations.

Keep in mind that my main file was the newly created file I’d just copied a few days ago. Something keeps corrupting the account connections. It doesn’t make sense to keep creating copies and having to reconnect accounts until we know what is causing these corruptions.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. As I mentioned, I had to perform this task just a few days ago when troubleshooting another problem with multiple bank account connections.

So I’ve followed your instructions and the CapitalOne accounts were successfully added to the test file. But if I open my main file, the problem persists. Also, to save us some time, I also performed the Validate and Super Validate operations.

Keep in mind that my main file was the newly created file I’d just copied a few days ago. Something keeps corrupting the account connections. It doesn’t make sense to keep creating copies and having to reconnect accounts until we know what is causing these corruptions.
    Hello @Shannon M M,     

I am sorry to hear that these issues are continuing. Thank you for letting us know about the results from your test file.

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that the data file is located on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as this can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

Also, if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know if the issue persists after these steps are completed. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,
    My active data file is located in the Quicken directory in Documents.
    Tried your signing back in suggestion and the program still freezes.
  • bill.nesheim
    bill.nesheim Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I was attempting to set up download for a Capital One credit card account and Quicken freezes (dimmed screen) every time I try. Need to use Windows Task Manager to kill it. Per the earlier discussion on this topic I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken to no effect. This used to work, what changed?
  • Quicken Jared
    Hi Jared,
    My active data file is located in the Quicken directory in Documents.
    Tried your signing back in suggestion and the program still freezes.
    Hello @Shannon M M,  

Thanks for answering my earlier questions, and for letting me know about what resulted from signing out and then back into your data file.

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here. 

I hope to hear about how this works, if you get the chance to check back in with us. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken Jared
    edited December 2022
    I was attempting to set up download for a Capital One credit card account and Quicken freezes (dimmed screen) every time I try. Need to use Windows Task Manager to kill it. Per the earlier discussion on this topic I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken to no effect. This used to work, what changed?
    Hello @bill.nesheim,   

I am sorry about this problem with freezing when trying to add an account. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure that the data file is located on your computer - and in this case, it may be necessary to move it to the C: Drive - rather than an external drive or cloud-based storage service. These latter locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage. 

Also, have you tried navigating to Tools > Add Account... in the upper menu at the top of the screen in order to set up this account?

I look forward to your answer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • bill.nesheim
    bill.nesheim Member ✭✭
    Moving the file to a local folder that is *not* sync'd to microsoft OneDrive seems to have done the trick. I was finally able to get updates to CapitalOne working.
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Yes. I’ve restarted the computer several times during the course of this troubleshooting.
    I’ve uninstalled removed the folders, restarted the computer, and reinstalled the ap. It still freezes grey when I try to add the Quicksilver and SavorOne cards still cause a grey freeze.
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    P.S. I don’t know if this is relevant, but after the reinstall, while I was continuing to reconnect my accounts, several were giving CC-503 unrecognized password errors even though the passwords were correct.
  • Hello @Shannon M M,

Thank you for attempting those troubleshooting steps and for providing more information. 

Next, I suggest restoring from a backup that was created before you noticed that these errors had begun to occur. You can follow this link for more information regarding restoring from backups. It is also recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case). 

Please let me know how this goes. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    Because, in the original problem, you’d instructed me to make a copy and I’ve been using that copy to reconnect all of my accounts, I’m not sure how far back “before the errors” means? Which errors? The original CC-800 “It appears one or more account(s) at…have been deleted” or the latest freeze with a grey screen on connecting CapitalOne accounts?

Track One- First I tried restoring from before the original problem using an 11/15 backup, a week earlier than the problem, just for good measure. But the Amex savings account gave me the CC-800 error. I followed the instruction to update the account to fix connectivity problems and the “Success!” Message displayed. But when I updated the account again, I continued to receive the same error. I deactivated the online service, then did the “Set Up Now”. It went through. So, I updated all with one step and all the other accounts that were part of problem number one, were a problem again, though the CapitalOne accounts were still connected and did update correctly.

Track Two- I then went back to restore the copy that was made on 12/2 before the grey screen freeze problem and ran One Step Update. But of course, the only things updated were the investing data because it was a new copy. I proceeded to add the problematic accounts from oldest to newest (credit unions, Amex savings, CapitalOne) accounts as I had done before. I immediately received a CC-502 error on the first account I tried to reconnect. (The message said the bank’s website was unavailable, but I could log in with no trouble.) I proceeded to the next account, which was successfully connected. I went back to the first account and tried a different method of verification for the MFA and it also connected successfully. I used One Step to update both and got no errors.
    But when I got to the CapitalOne accounts, the grey screen freeze occurred again, and I had to use Task Manager to close the app.

Track Three- Just for yucks, I also went way far back to 10/2 before any of these problems started and ran One Step Update and got CC-800 errors in all of the problematic accounts plus a new error on an existing account. In all cases the message says “It appears one or more account(s) at {bank name} have been deleted.”

Having tried to use pre-problem backups, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, created a copy disconnecting and reconnecting all the accounts, the problems continue.
  • Chad_
    Chad_ Member
    Following.... same issue and results.
  • Shannon M M
    Shannon M M Member ✭✭
    For Chad- I spoke with support today and their solution worked:

Add a new account offline account.

Move all the transactions from the old account to the new one. There is no function to “select all transactions” and I found myself having to play around with the “select” [Shift] “select” method. As a result, they had to be moved in several chunks. Also the Opening Balance and any “Adjustment From Previous Statement” entries won’t transfer and will be need to be entered into the new account manually.

Connect the new account.

I hope this helps anyone else having this issue.
  • JPalicki
    JPalicki Member
    edited December 2022
    I'm having the same issue as described in this post from last April/May:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7911812/when-i-try-to-reconnect-capital-one-accounts-quicken-freezes

My Capital One accounts won't update. I've tried to re-add them using both the CapitalOne 360 badge shown in "add accounts" and doing the search and choosing the Capital One-new option.

I am updated to the most current version of Quicken.
    I have tried making a Quicken test file, but had the same issue.
    I validated and had the same issue.
    I super-validated and had the same issue.
    I uninstalled and re-installed Quicken and had the same issue.

I am currently downloading .qfx files from CapitalOne and uploading to Quicken.

This issue has been ongoing for the past month or so. CapitalOne accounts used to update with no issues.

I am not having this issue with my other two banks..it's just a Capital One issue.
  • JPalicki
    JPalicki Member
    This is Quicken for Windows btw
  • raymorr2
    raymorr2 Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue. Tried the sign-out and sign back in, didn't work. Still freezes
  • Hello @raymorr2,

Thank you for joining this thread and sharing that you are also experiencing this issue. 

Have you already attempted to validate and/or super-validate your data file? However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I look forward to your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

• dodahmanQ
    dodahmanQ Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem and validating and super validating did not work. Signing out and then back in did not work either.
  • raymorr2
    raymorr2 Member ✭✭
    Validate and supervalidate did not work.
  • dodahmanQ
    dodahmanQ Member ✭✭
    JPolicki, raymorr2 - Do either of you have other problems/changes? I also experience 47 second start-up time to have the quicken program populated with data. And long delays with entering Vault password. I Uninstalled quicken using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled. Made no difference.
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

• JPalicki
    JPalicki Member
    Catching up now. As stated in my origninal message, I tried validating and supervalidating with no changes.
    Yes, dodahmanQ, Quicken is also SO slow on start up for me. That has been the case for a while. Updating is also slow.
    And yes, I have reported the problem several times from the Quicken update screen.
  • MarkK9
    MarkK9 Member ✭✭
    I use Quicken on my mac. I am having the same issue when I run an update on my accounts and Capital one shows an error message asking me to update log in. I do but error shows. I receive an email from Capital one saying its connected. Also when I use the app on my iPhone capital will update in my registry there. So it has to be the laptop/desktop version of quicken.
  • MarkK9
    MarkK9 Member ✭✭
    Update to my earlier post. On my MacBook right click the capital one account in the register, select account settings, Downloads, Change connection. It will populate your linked accounts. Type in to search your bank "capital one" and I selected the "Capital one-new". Updated the links and now it seems to work.
  • JPalicki
    JPalicki Member
    Still having the same issue. Working in Windows 10 on desktop. Have tried creating a duplicate offline account and connecting. Same issue. Just stays on the Add Account sign into CapitalOne Bank - New Bank screen with the spinning wheel. Same deal when choosing the CapitalOne 360 option.

My Quicken renewal is coming up in early February. Considering moving on if there is no solution for me.
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    @JPalicki, I have shared your feedback with our dev team. I am sorry you are still experiencing this and hope to have more information for you soon. Thanks for your patience.

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    When I try to reconnect my CapitalOne Quicksilver or SavorOne cards, Quicken freezes and goes grey. I then have to close the app with Task Manager.

I have just recently had to toss a corrupted file and start reconnecting everything to a copy. Such a royal pain!
    Today, I disconnected and attempted to reconnect online services for my CapitalOne card.  When doing so, I got the same issue (Quicken freezes and goes grey) and does not recover nor does it completed the service connection process.   For the record, I was attempting to reconnect services using Account Detail>Online Services, as I normally do.

After several attempts, I did the following and reconnected successfully.  Perhaps it will help some of you:

1. Logged into CapitalOne and unlinked Quicken/Simplify in Account>Security
    2. In Quicken, opened Tools>Add Account and searched/selected CapitalOne Card ServicesSelected Advanced Options and verified that Express Web Connect was selected.  Hit Next to be directed to sign into CapitaOne,
    3. Followed the CapitalOne instructions and successfully relinked Quicken (in the CapitalOne site), after which your are redirected back to Quicken.
    4. Assigned (or verified) the correct linking of the Capital One card to the existing account in Quicken.
    5. Verified with OSU.  Successful
This discussion has been closed.