How do I resolve an error I receive when attempting to update my Fidelity Accounts?

For several months when I update my fidelity account using One Step Update I receive and error which just states "An error has occurred" (there is no error code). My accounts still update properly so I just ignored it. Now, I have added a new Fidelity account and quicken will not pull in the new account. How can I resolve this?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    For several months when I update my fidelity account using One Step Update I receive and error which just states "An error has occurred" (there is no error code). My accounts still update properly so I just ignored it. Now, I have added a new Fidelity account and quicken will not pull in the new account. How can I resolve this?
    Hello @mferris637,   

We are sorry about this issue with online banking services. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Fidelity-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the Tools menu option in upper left-hand side of the screen, or in the more central, upper left-hand panel, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. 

Let us know about your results, and we can provide further instructions about how to proceed. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Everything loaded correctly when using the "test" data file. Is there any way to resolve the issue on my regular data file?
  • Quicken Jared
    edited February 2023
    Everything loaded correctly when using the "test" data file. Is there any way to resolve the issue on my regular data file?
    Hello @mferris637,   

Thanks so much for getting back to us with the results from the test file. We apologize that this problem is continuing, but this information will be helpful as we proceed.

You may now navigate back to your original data file by going to File > Open Quicken File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
      • Navigate to Edit
      • Preferences...
      • Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
      • Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
      • Follow the prompts to Sign Out
      • Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password

Let us know how this works. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I gave it a try. I'm still getting the same result. Fidelity updates all my current accounts, but will not bring in my new accounts. Also, when I get the "One Step Update Summary" it doesn't reflect Fidelity as one of the Financial Institutions Updated? I had chatted with the Quicken Help Desk a couple weeks ago when I had to add one account and they had me go into each of my fidelity accounts and edit them to Deactivate my Online Services and remove my Account Number and Customer ID. Once I did that to all my accounts they had me add a new account within quicken with Fidelity. When I did that everything came in (including the new account). I just had to reassociate all the accounts to my quicken accounts. I thought that was a permanent solution, but the next time I updated Fidelity the error was back.
  • Quicken Jared
    I gave it a try. I'm still getting the same result. Fidelity updates all my current accounts, but will not bring in my new accounts. Also, when I get the "One Step Update Summary" it doesn't reflect Fidelity as one of the Financial Institutions Updated? I had chatted with the Quicken Help Desk a couple weeks ago when I had to add one account and they had me go into each of my fidelity accounts and edit them to Deactivate my Online Services and remove my Account Number and Customer ID. Once I did that to all my accounts they had me add a new account within quicken with Fidelity. When I did that everything came in (including the new account). I just had to reassociate all the accounts to my quicken accounts. I thought that was a permanent solution, but the next time I updated Fidelity the error was back.
    Hello @mferris637,    

Thanks so much for getting back to me about the situation with these additional details, and the results from earlier troubleshooting. We apologize that this issue remains.

First, with respect to downloads simply missing from Fidelity accounts, I want to direct your attention towards the currently active Open Alert provided here. Any additional information or future updates will be provided there. We do not have any ETAs regarding a resolution, for now, although we do have teams working toward this, even as we speak. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

To be clear, are you also still noticing the 'Error has occurred' message?

I look forward to your response, and I hope that this is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Yes, I'm still receiving the "Error has occurred" message.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Quicken Jared
    Yes, I'm still receiving the "Error has occurred" message.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Hello @mferris637,     

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming that those symptoms remain. We are sorry for these ongoing problems with the error message and the online banking service.

Save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions provided below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

• Navigate to File
      • Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Super Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I ran the Validate and repair file and it had a very long list of errors. At the end it gave me an error of "Quicken is unable to open the data file C:\users\mferr\onedrive\desktop\quicken.qdf. At first I thought it was due to my data file being password protected, so I removed the password and ran the validate and repair again. This time it found no errors, but I still got the error "unable to open data file". When I closed quicken, and then opened it and tried updating my Fidelity account I received the same error as before "An error has occurred".

I then tried the super validate file. No additional errors were discovered. I did still receive the "unable to open the data file". Also when I restarted quicken, I still received the error "An error has occurred". So while quicken is still updating all my current Fidelity accounts within quicken, it will not bring in the new accounts from Fidelity.
  • Another update: I noticed on my desktop that a new file was created called "Quicken Deluxe - Test". When I opened that it only contained my Fidelity accounts. (Fidelity was the only account I was updating when attempting to Validate and repair steps above). However, the test version did contain the new fidelity accounts. Not sure it that helps. I wish I could start just using the test version, but I would lose years work of data.
  • Quicken Jared
    Another update: I noticed on my desktop that a new file was created called "Quicken Deluxe - Test". When I opened that it only contained my Fidelity accounts. (Fidelity was the only account I was updating when attempting to Validate and repair steps above). However, the test version did contain the new fidelity accounts. Not sure it that helps. I wish I could start just using the test version, but I would lose years work of data.
    Hello @mferrish637,   

We do apologize about this problem with these error messages continuing, and we thank you for continuing to work with us on this issue.

Unfortunately, given the nature of this issue, I recommend reaching out to Quicken Support. You can do this with the information provided in this link. They will need to work with you in order to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue in greater detail with the tools and resources available to them, uniquely. I do wish that we could provide more advice from the Quicken Community, but Support's help will be necessary in this situation.

I hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    I also have this Quicken error with my Fidelity accounts ("an error has occurred"). After multiple chat sessions and phone calls with Quicken support, answers have ranged from telling me that it is a Fidelity problem, not a Quicken problem, so I should call Fidelity, to telling me that it is a known issue and Quicken is working with Fidelity to resolve, but there is no ETA on a solution. At this point, it has been going on for multiple months. Having worked for software companies in the past, I am shocked that these are acceptable answers for Quicken. The error only occurs in Quicken, so the suggestion that I should call Fidelity for tech support with a Quicken error message is absurd. Quicken and Fidelity are both huge companies. This needs to be raised in priority and resolved.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Member ✭✭✭

Same thing started here today. When I queue Acct Updates, only Fidelity shows “an error has occurred' while download's in-progress. Then, even though Setting is on to ”Show this window only when errors occur," no error screen shows after download completes. Likewise, no errors show on my One Step Update Summary. And no new transactions or security price updates come into Q. I'll try again tomorrow after Market activity starts. Using v 47.15, build 27.1.47.15.

• EvanstonDave
    EvanstonDave Member ✭✭
    I am also receiving this identical error message. Items mentioned to try did not help get rid of that error message.
  • larrywt
    larrywt Member ✭✭
    I am also having the same issue. I tried to reset/add a Brokerage Link acct but the acct does not show when attempting to add. Only the 401k acct is showing. Does Quicken still support access to Brokerage Link accts. Fidelity suggests it is 3rd party app security access that needs to be changed by Quicken.
  • jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭

Does anyone know what the current status is of this issue between Quicken and Fidelity? To summarize, when I do a One Step Update, I get an arror message for my Fidelity account that says, "An error has occurred." There is no error code - just those 4 words. Strangely, the accounts associated with my wife's Fidelity logon still download fine - it's only the accounts associated with my login that have the problem.

This is really frustrating on multiple levels - the error itself, the length of time this has gone on, and the lack of information provided by Quicken. Quicken is blaming Fidelity, saying they have no control over the data Fidelity sends, yet Fidelity has been able to work with me to show that the problem is a Quicken corruption or software problem. We as the customers are stuck in the middle of this blame game. Ultimately, the error only occurs within Quicken, so Quicken needs to step up, take ownership, and fix it. In fact, Fidelity at least spent signficant time with me creating a new file just to test, which syncs and downloads fine. That would be an acceptable solution if I was OK losing about 25 years worth of data, which I am not.

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    The Fidelity download actually worked correctly last week for about a day, but then reverted back to the "An error has occurred" error message. Since that brief glimmer of hope, it is now consistently back to not working.

Is anyone from Quicken monitoring this conversation? An occasional update would be very much appreciated.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@mferris637

Quicken is unable to open the data file C:\users\mferr\onedrive\desktop\quicken.qdf

Quicken and OneDrive are fighting over the file lock. You should not keep your active data file in OneDrive or any other monitored and backed-up folder. It is fine to back up your data there, but the active file needs to be in a place where only Quicken will read and write it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @jammb1,

Thank you for submitting logs!

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? This will further assist us in our investigation. If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

I look forward to your response!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    Sure. Here you go. Thank you.
  • bobandsherry82
    bobandsherry82 Member ✭✭✭

FWIW, my Fidelity download works fine, but just saw this EXACT issue with ETrade this morning. Misery loves company I guess.

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    For anyone having this "An error has occurred" error, refer to the following link: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20361301/#Comment_20361301. I don't know if this is the answer for everyone, but it solved the problem for me. Basically, there was an issue with one Fidelity account - once I excluded it in Quicken, the One Step Update worked.
This discussion has been closed.