Fidelity "An Error Has Occurred"

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Linking to Fidelity Investments.

Comments

• joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    Been having this issue with Fidelity for a while, I thought it was a temporary issue with connectivity but seems to be more than that.
    Does not display an error code of any kind just "An error has occurred" in the progress window.
    See attached (also had to time it right to get the screen shot before it disappears).

I have tried "Reset Account" and "Deactivate" in the Online Services tab of the Account Details window but I keep getting the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hello @joesdeli,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Do you recall roughly when this issue first started? Have you checked Tools>One Step Update Summary to see if it gives more information about the error there? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    I would guess that I have had this issue for about a month.
    When I review the "One step update summary" after error updating Fidelity only, it is empty (see attached).
    Also noticed that when I updated all the financial institutions at once they update successfully while Fidelity has the error... and when I review the summary all the financial institutions are listed as successful but Fidelity does not appear in that summary - odd?!?
    Quicken file is stored locally and is backed up to my NAS via Cloud Station Backup
  • Thank you for your reply,

Since the One Step Update Summary screen is coming up blank, the next troubleshooting steps would be to reset the cloud and clear out any old/invalid data that Quicken may have cached. To do that, first Backup your Quicken file. Then go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. There should be a blue link that says Reset your cloud data. Click on that link. Note: If you don't see that link, you have sync turned off. You would need to turn the sync on, click OK, then go back to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. Then you should be able to click on that link. Once the cloud reset is complete, you can turn the sync back off again.

After the cloud reset completes, go to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. There will be a blue link that says Sign in as a different user.

Click that link, type "yes", then click the Sign Out button. Quicken will log you out and take you back to the login screen. Before logging in, close Quicken and leave it closed for at least 5 seconds. Re-open Quicken. When it finishes loading, it will take you to the login screen. Log in to Quicken. Once you are logged back in, run One Step Update.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    I have the EXACT same error. I have been getting this since the end of December 2022. See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20339568#Comment_20339568.
  • bobandsherry82
    bobandsherry82 Member ✭✭✭

FWIW, my Fidelity download has been working fine, but my Etrade download had this EXACT problem.

• joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    Finally got around to your response Kristina
    1) Since I do not sync to the cloud, I turned it on, closed window
    2) Opened preference window again and reset cloud data
    3) Signed out of account
    4) Closed quicken
    5) Open quicken signed in
    6) Ran One Step Update for all accounts with the same issue and behaviour (Fidelity - "An error occurred.")
    7) Ran to update a single Fidelity account same issue and behaviour

I also opened a different quicken "test" file and updated the Fidelity accounts and all went fine!
    So why is my "main" quicken file with all of my financial accounts only having issue with Fidelity?
    (There are temporary issues with other financial institutions but will leave that for another time.)
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

If it functions properly in a test file, but not in your main file, that implies there is a file specific issue. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    Tried both Validate and Super Validate still same error
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

The next step would be to restore a backup from before the issue started if possible, and test to see if the issue is happening in that newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Mike98102
    Mike98102 Member

Hello

I have the same error with Fidelity. I've followed the above steps, including restoring a backup from before the start of the problem. I get the same error/result: "An Error Occurred". My error started around the end of April 2023.

Please advise.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @Mike98102,

Thank you for joining this thread.

If the above troubleshooting steps have not assisted you in reaching a resolution, we recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance as an escalation may be in order.

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I do apologize that we could not be of more assistance.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    I have called Quicken support about this issue many times. The end result is always either: 1. Call Fidelity, because it's their problem, or 2. It's a known issue that we're working on, but we don't know when it will be resolved. As for restoring from an older version, yes, I can do that, and it even works temporarily, but eventually the problem comes back to life, and it is not a viable solution to have to keep restoring to a prior version and manually reenter so many transactions, which only grow in number as this problem remains open. I have literally spent hours and hours trying to debug, restore, and reenter transactions, only to get back to square one with the error. Is this really an open issue that Quicken is actively working to resolve?
  • Quicken Kristina

Hello @jammb1,

Thank you for joining this thread.

What is the exact error message or error code you are getting?

I can see that when you contacted support in January and April, we did have a known issue with connections to Fidelity. Those issues have since been marked as resolved.

What you are describing with it temporarily working after you restore a backup makes it sound like the issue you are encountering may be file specific. If you haven't done this already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jammb1
    jammb1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    The error is the same as the others have reported: "An Error Has Occurred" I tried the Validate and Super Validate, and it did not fix the problem. However, I do have a little good news... At least in my case, and at least for now, I think I have found the culprit... The problem seems tied to one particular account. Through trial and error, I discovered that if I exclude that one account from my download process, the rest of the accounts process without the error. I am holding my breath waiting to see if the error comes back at some point, but at least I can get the One Step Update working for the first time in months for the other accounts.
  • joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    Hi @jammb1 thanks for your input.
    Based on your success I tried something similar where I started removing Fidelity accounts one by one from the download until all accounts were excluded, all attempts failed with same error. Then I was going to add the accounts one by one to test further but went with linking all the accounts to the existing accounts in one shot and to my surprise it worked! Then I tried the One Step Update which updates all financial institutions and everything worked!

I am certain I have deactivated Fidelity and reactivated the service before without success but it may have been a combination of everything else attempted (reset cloud data, sign in and out of quicken, validate and super validate file).
    My guess and it is only a guess is that it was a file issue and likely validating the file and then deactivating/reactivating Fidelity may have fixed the issue.

Crossing my fingers that this finally fixed the issue going forward. Good luck to everyone else with similar issues.
  • joesdeli
    joesdeli Member ✭✭
    Well that didn't last long, same problem.
    Tried the same fixes/steps as before but issue still exists.
    This is ridiculous.
    What I find ironic is the banner screen when you start up Quicken is:
  • renaldorey
    renaldorey Member ✭✭

same problem, started a week ago. It is affecting my downloads from Fidelity AND Etrade. All other institutions working fine.

Just get the message "an error has occurred", but no details about the errors. Disabled online connection to all fidelity accounts, set up again, finds accounts, links them, says everything is good. Then same problem occurs when updating.

Seems to be a bug…annoying.

This discussion has been closed.