Ally Bank with 2FA and then CC-508 ? (edit)

Answers

• MJHJLW
    MJHJLW Member, Windows Beta Beta

I am having the same problem with my Ally accounts. But I think we should give Quicken a break. I think this issue came up because of a system upgrade on Ally's side. In fact yesterday I couldn't even access my Ally accounts through the web. Now that the problem had been identified I'm confident that Quicken will work with Ally and get this fixed within the next couple of days.

• slkaplan
    slkaplan Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    My Guess was wrong...same issue occurs after Ally maintenance was completed....
  • Quicken change your name to slowen. You need to fix this asap. Your about to lose a lot of customers. Quicken tanboys stfu.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    I'd like to add my voice to this. Ally manages 7 of my accounts, all of which are a pain to reconcile without being able to download the transactions automatically. Please fix ASAP.
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Just stared within past couple weeks. Ally Bank now performs two factor identification when the account is accessed from unrecognized devices. Quicken navigates the initial part of this fine but then when attempting to download the data comes back with error CC-508.

The issue is that when you access Ally from a new device (or browser) it first performs the two factor ID then it presents a screen asking if this new device (or browser) should be added to the trust list. Quicken seems unable to navigate this portion of the authentication login and errors out. This needs to be addressed.

Current version of Quicken (R47.15 Build 27.1.47.15) on Windows 10.
  • turtledove53
    turtledove53 Member ✭✭
    Same problem for me as well. Makes me so mad to not be able to update my quicken file. If I download from Ally, of course I have to go through my file and delete duplicates, which always never comes out right.
  • Rb&L
    Rb&L Member ✭✭
    I'm another person stuck in this Quicken/Ally loop. If this drags on it will be much easier to find another bank than start over with a new financial software company.
  • cromaney
    cromaney Member ✭✭
    Obviously, nothing is going to happen any time soon.
  • Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭

Five bucks says it will be fixed by the end of the week.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Meaning Friday 5PM EST? If so, you're on. And if you win I'll transfer it to you from my ALLY account :)

• Richard Bowdel
    Richard Bowdel Member ✭✭✭
    This is the response I just got from Ally Bank at 15:54, Feb 26
    Siddharth: I apologize for the hassle caused Richard, I have checked this with my resources and my resources state that since the website was being updated and new features were being added, there were issues with Quicken. However the issue should be resolved by today and I request you to please try again after 2-4 hours and if you still face further issues please do let us know.
  • PhanTOM
    PhanTOM Member ✭✭
    Woohoo! But, I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Please realize that another part of this game is that anyone in a customer-facing position at either Quicken or Ally is going to have NO CLUE what is really going on.

The people that are truly in the know, aren't allowed anywhere near the end-users. Which is good because we want them to get things fixed ASAP, and stopping to talk to us every 10 minutes won't make their jobs any easier.

Anything that a “Siddarth” tells you, I would pretty much ignore. If either side wants to make an announcement, it will be made very clear on the websites.

I will trust that it's fixed, when people here start reporting that it is fixed. Until then, let's just all chill.

•  quick2020
    quick2020 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    On Update, it sends a 6-digit code to my phone. However, Quicken doesn't honor the code and throws an error. Please see the attached screenshot. Please advise.
  • greenperro
    greenperro Member ✭✭✭
    I've been having the same issue and I believe it's an Ally issue. My Wealthfront account is having the same issue as Quicken is.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Several people have mentioned Ally is having issues in other software. Good to know and you are likely right it is their issue. But Quicken also has issues with 2FA on other billers like AT&T, so there still may be a Quicken component to the problem.

• Same problem in Quicken (prompt for 2FA sent to cell, then CC-508 error indicating popup on Ally site, which does NOT show up when logging in online).

But... I also had a similar problem trying to setup autopay on a Chase credit card account (setup from inside the Chase account is along the lines of Express connect as well (adding login info for Ally, 2FA prompt, then error), so it may not be ONLY Quicken -- but maybe a problem with Plaid or whoever they use as to make the connection?)
  • PhanTOM
    PhanTOM Member ✭✭
    Update as of 3:47 AM EST on 2/27/2023: Still receiving error CC-508 for Ally connection via Quicken using a desktop PC. :(
  • PhanTOM
    PhanTOM Member ✭✭
    From Ally dated 3/26/2023: There is a known issue with Quicken according to our tech department. We are aware of it as well as Quicken. We do not have an estimated time of resolution. Continue to monitor your account, or you may contact us to check on if it has been resolved.
  • PhanTOM
    PhanTOM Member ✭✭
    CORRECTION - It's too early and I am making mistakes. The date was wrong. From Ally dated 2/26/2023: There is a known issue with Quicken according to our tech department. We are aware of it as well as Quicken. We do not have an estimated time of resolution. Continue to monitor your account, or you may contact us to check on if it has been resolved.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Day 4….

And if this is an Ally issue, if nothing else the Error message from Quicken is incorrect that there is a new pop-up at the site and both the message and FAQ are misleading and should be corrected.. Likely Quicken senses the poroblem, but misdiagnoses it as something it is not.

• Step2
    Step2 Member ✭✭
    Lost the connection to Wells Fargo Credit Card today. This is in addition to the Ally Bank problem.
  • jyeganeh
    jyeganeh Member ✭✭
    Obviously not a Quicken issue. See their response to me below.

This has happened from time to time with Ally and many other banks. They make updates to their systems and have not fully/properly tested everything and something "breaks". People complain, rightly, and they suddenly realize something is wrong. Then, they have to go back and see what the broke (what the programmers forgot about) and fix it. My guess is nobody worked on it over the weekend and likely will be resolved sometime this week. In my experience, that is roughly how long it took in previous "breaks" for Ally and other banks.

"Thank you for contacting Ally Bank. I would be happy to assist you with your banking needs.

Unfortunately, at this time we are experiencing technical difficulties with online aggregators. We know about the issue and are working diligently on trying to solve the issue. Because of the nature of the issue, I am unable to give you a turnaround time as to when the problem will be fixed. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may be causing you at this time."
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Wells Fargo CC just updated with new charges moments ago for me Step2.

• Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭

No, Bob. The CC-508 messages in Quicken are exactly right.

Again, we have seen this movie before. Awhile back (2-3 years?), Quicken told us all that the authentication scheme would be strengthened. In addition to us giving Quicken the login names and passwords at our financial institutions, the FI's were going to require you to authorize them to allow Quicken to connect. This is not what we normally think of as “2FA” because at least 3 parties are involved - the Quicken user, the FI, and Quicken's data servers which are no doubt contracted out to who knows who.

Charles Schwab made the upgrade on their end about a year ago. I thought they were the last, but apparently not. The CC-508 message from Quicken is exactly right. We need to go to ally.com and make the authoirzation there. Ally needs to implement this. Either they forgot to, or were warned to and ignored the warning, or who knows what.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Totally disagree. How can they be “exactly” right when the focus of the message is a new popup at the site that does not exist? Perhaps a new authentication is required, and broken, but the diagnosis and FAQ remedies are incorrect. There is no message, window, popup, etc that needs to be dealt with.

• kon21
    kon21 Member ✭✭
    > @LawrenceLap said:
    > Same problem in Quicken (prompt for 2FA sent to cell, then CC-508 error indicating popup on Ally site, which does NOT show up when logging in online).
    >
    > But... I also had a similar problem trying to setup autopay on a Chase credit card account (setup from inside the Chase account is along the lines of Express connect as well (adding login info for Ally, 2FA prompt, then error), so it may not be ONLY Quicken -- but maybe a problem with Plaid or whoever they use as to make the connection?)

my two other apps that use Plaid to connect to Ally are broken as well.
  • Same problem.....any updates from Quicken on what the plan is to fix this? I think that is the most frustrating part. Is it fixable in a short amount of time or is it out of their hands waiting on Ally to fix their API?
  • joezar1
    joezar1 Member
    Same issue here. Just keeps getting stuck in a loop and Ally knows nothing about this. I was on the phone with them for a hour and they claim it's not on their side.
  • Melman1
    Melman1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Bob, as I said upthread, when I disabled online access for my Ally account and tried to set it up anew, I got this message. There is no way Quicken can know what any FI will put in place on their end. It might be a page or a popup or who knows what. This is what they are trying to say. The FI needs to do what Quicken probably warned them about several years ago. I agree that the message is incorrect or misleading but I understand what they are really trying to say. When Ally fixes this on their end, there will in fact be a page or a popup or who knows what. Right now, there is nothing.

This discussion has been closed.