How can I void a check that has been issued by the bank? (Q Mac)

jschaffe
jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

I use bank bill pay and sent a check to a small company. When they received it, they finally told me that the check had to be written to a different name. How can I voide this transaction and get the register value set to zero?

Answers

• Hello @jschaffe,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Quicken for Mac doesn't have a built in feature to void a transaction, but you can do it manually. To do it manually, follow these steps:

1. Type "void" at the beginning of the Payee field. You can also put it in the action field or memo field if you prefer.
    2. In the memo field, record the transaction amount.
    3. Zero out the amount of the transaction.
    4. Press and hold the option key and click on the CLR field until the Reconciled check mark shows up. If the CLR field isn't visible, you can click on the columns icon at the lower right (just to the left of the settings gear), and put a check mark next to CLR to make it visible in your register for that account.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

The answer by @Quicken Kristina above is spot on. I'd add one additional note to her point #1. If this is a Payee you will ever use again, I suggest that yourdo NOT put "Void" into the Payee name. That creates a new, separate Payee: for instance "Bob's Auto Service" and "Void-Bob's Auto Service". Instead, I think it's better to put "VOID" in the Memo field, along with the original check amount and reason, and then zero out the amount to the transaction: "VOID Check #1234 $98.76 - Reissued to Bob Smith on 3/13/23". This way, if you ever do a report by Payee, all your "Bob's Auto Service" transactions, including this voided transaction, will appear together in their original date order.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Remember that this is a bank pay transaction. I cannot edit the payee or the amount fields.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @jschaffe,

Thank you for contacting the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

@jschaffe said:

Remember that this is a bank pay transaction. I cannot edit the payee or the amounts fields.

Since the transaction in question is a bill pay transaction, I suggest you change it to manual in order to perform the previous instructions provided by Quicken Kristina and Jacobs. To do so, please hold Option on your keyboard and click Delete at the bottom of the register. You should receive a dropdown menu at the top of the register-- in that dropdown menu, choose the option Change to manual. Doing this should change the transaction from a bill pay transaction to a manual transaction and allow you to edit it as you, please.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, Option-trashcan just gives me the warning to delete or cancel. Whichever I click, even holding down the option key when I click a button, the transaction is either deleted or retained, with no dropdown. Is there another way to change to manual?

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023

@Quicken Anja I can't get the option key + click Delete method to work for changing a bill pay transaction to manual either. If there is another way to do this I would love to learn how.

• RandyB
    RandyB Member ✭✭
    I was having the same issue - Two checks sent via Bank Pay to my former landscaping service (Grass Man, Inc) - Both checks were lost and never cashed. - I contacted my bank and issued a stop payment for both checks. - But I was stuck with the zombie checks hanging out on my register. - "Edit Transaction" only allows editing the date, or the category. - And using "opt + right click" then "opt + Delete Transaction" just deletes the transaction - and does NOT present the choice to "Change to Manual" - The only thing I could come up with was to create two NEW manual transactions, using the SAME check numbers and the Payee name *VOIDED GRASS MAN*. - I then set the payment amounts for the two new transactions as DEPOSIT amounts that were the same as the original payment amounts (note: you'll have to enter the amount, then select it again and edit the minus sign out of the amount). - (see screen shot of what that looked like on my register). Finally, I added some notes to the memo fields and then marked all four as "Reviewed." - Bamm! My transaction zombies are finally gone. - Probably not an ideal solution, but it worked for my purposes. - Cheers!
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, not ideal, but it works. Please Quicken team, give us a legitimate VOID function for downloaded transactions!

This discussion has been closed.