R48.9 - problems with installing/running

2»

Comments

• edinsac
    edinsac Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    > @Snowman said:
    > CCleaner in my experience is NOT a good thing to run on Windows 10 or 11. It will damage your Windows installation. I would bite the bullet now and do a clean install of Windows at your soonest convenience.
    >
    > What you descibe as to how your computer is working the answer is no it is not working normally. I used CCleaner once after Windows 10 had been out for 18 months and it was a disaster. While it worked fine on Windows Vista and Windows 7 (I skipped Windows 8). It basically ruined the Windows registry file and that is the root of the problem. While your computer may be booting up now the slow response time and having to do all of that "Voodoo" to get there indicates that your windows installation is damaged.
    >
    > With a clean install (not a windows repair) you can start from scratch with a new fresh registry file and clean installations of all of your programs. I have been using PC's for 40 years, building my own from the ground up for the past 30) and in that time I have learned two programs (companies) to avoid at all costs, the first is CCleaner and the other is anything having to do with Norton and/or Norton Utilities.
    >
    > You can create a bootable thumbdrive (at least 8Gb) from Microsoft with the latest version of windows on it.

This issue began before Ccleaner was run - spent over 1.5 hours on the phone with Quicken tech support yesterday before they gave up, after they had me try all the usual tricks then gave me a support case and told me to call Monday.

I've used Ccleaner many times, never had an issue. I also did a full disk and system integrity check after running Ccleaner - no problems.

After my last post to this board, I was able to do my bookkeeping, ran one-step update, etc. Everything works, but Quicken takes five minutes to open my data file (which was the case with any data file, even a brand new one that I had just created since this issue began after the 48.9 update). I'd love to see that issue resolved and I may work on it as time allows.

Throwing Ccleaner under the bus is the wrong answer @snowman. Perhaps you don't like it but it does not pertain to my case, and furthermore my system is working perfectly otherwise, issues are 100% isolated to Quicken.
  • edinsac
    edinsac Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Kristina said:
    > Hello @edinsac,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. If you are able to get into Quicken and pull up a data file, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.
    >
    > While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.
    >
    > We apologize for any inconvenience!
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > (CTP-6224)

Problem report submitted.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭

@edinsac It was just my opinion nothing more nothing less. Everything is not working fine if it is taking over 5 minutes for your file to open. If you ran Ccleaner at anytime before you first saw the issue it can still be the culprit. I still bet if you do a proper clean windows install you problem will be fixed. I have tried Ccleaner twice on the past number of years on windows 10 and both times it resulted in issues similar to what you describe and both times the a windows clean install fixed it. After the second time no more. I have a large data file with 20+ years of data and it loads in 10-15 seconds.

• edinsac
    edinsac Member ✭✭
    > @Snowman said:
    > @edinsac It was just my opinion nothing more nothing less. Everything is not working fine if it is taking over 5 minutes for your file to open. If you ran Ccleaner at anytime before you first saw the issue it can still be the culprit. I still bet if you do a proper clean windows install you problem will be fixed. I have tried Ccleaner twice on the past number of years on windows 10 and both times it resulted in issues similar to what you describe and both times the a windows clean install fixed it. After the second time no more. I have a large data file with 20+ years of data and it loads in 10-15 seconds.

As noted in my earlier post, I only ran CCleaner after this issue started, and after 1.5 hours on the phone with Quicken tech support did not resolve the issue. Prior to that, I had not used it in quite some time, perhaps years. It neither improved nor worsened the issue.

Also, in case you did not notice, multiple persons on this thread are having the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion of doing a windows reinstall, I think I'll hold off for now and see what Quicken comes up with, if anything.
  • Lisamar
    Lisamar Member ✭✭

Multiple problems after installing 48.9 with crashing, hanging and eventually unable to open the file. I reverted back to 48.8, but now there appears to be a memory leak. I tried multiple times to open the program, and after multiple crashes I finally got it open but only after closing other programs using a lot of memory, disabling onedrive, etc. Now, I'm afraid to close Quicken since I have so many problems opening it. BTW, I've noticed Outlook has to be closed before I can successfully open Quicken (even before 48.9 that was the case). So many bugs and issues with this software it's hard to believe.

• LJ Olson
    LJ Olson Member ✭✭

Thanks @mshiggins and @splasher. I successfully ran the patch and Quicken opened successfully!….one time. I did a manual backup and closed. Reopened and I'm back to the same blank screen problem. Confirmed the product version is 27.1.48.8. Maybe this will make sense to you, but I can't say that it does to me.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, There is a new R48.15 patch update. If you do update, please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue. Thanks! 

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Daniel Borowicz
    Daniel Borowicz Member ✭✭✭
    The latest update just installed. Seems ok
    I have windows 11, Quicken deluxe subscription
  • LJ Olson
    LJ Olson Member ✭✭
    R48.15 patch installed. Same results-does not open after data file password entry, just presents a blank window and Task Mgr shows Quicken utilizing 31.1% of CPU and in Not Responding status. Reboot made no difference. [Win10 Pro, Avast was disabled during install & start of Quicken (Deluxe).]
  • edinsac
    edinsac Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    > @Quicken Janean said:
    > Hi All, There is a new R48.15 patch update. If you do update, please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue. Thanks! 
    >
    > -Quicken Janean

Behavior is exactly the same: 3-5 minutes to open a data file that used to open in about five seconds. I also got a blank login window at the end of the wait, but when I closed that by clicking the X in the corner, my file loaded, so it appears to be a phantom.

I noticed that a "known issue" has been opened for this, so I'm inclined to wait until that's updated to try again: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7932019/new-3-21-23-qwin-blank-screen-when-opening-quicken

Send the dev team back to the boiler room, things are still unwell.
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭

I'm waiting to update from 47.15, the last stable update. The 48's, not so much. Neither of the issue threads have been updated in 4 days or more

Where do we currently stand with respect to the 48.xx [#'s .6, .8, .19] update's stability and reliability?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, it depends on which features of Quicken you are using. Some folks have had no trouble at all, others are not so lucky.

I'm still at R48.9 with no issues, BUT, I don't use EWC/EWC+ downloads, online billing, QMobile/QWeb, Zillow, Credit Score or Budgets just to mention a few.

You can always try it and revert if you have trouble, just make sure that you have a backup from your current release.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions, but also for the description of what you services you don't utilize within the application. I use many of these services which are center to the issues currently experienced.

Now, I prefer to 'vet' an update before installing. Key phrases for me are 'known problem', long problem threads, and Quicken acknowlegements without a resolution/stable update. This particular issue triggers two of the 'No So Fast' buttons.

Over the decades, I've found patience is a needed quality when using Quicken.

• LJ Olson
    LJ Olson Member ✭✭
    I'm adding a final comment in case this could help another user... I am one who had a completely blank screen after updating to 48.9. Having reverted to 48.8, and then installing 48.15 with the same blank screen results, I decided to try opening an old data file that pre-dated these issues. It opened successfully! Then I could do a restore of my data backup from the night before the blank screen issues started (for me that was 3/16/23). This seems to indicate that my data file had been damaged/corrupted in addition to (because of?) Quicken's software issue. I have been successfully using R48.15 for several days now.

This is the first problem that's led me to use this Quicken community resource, even though I've use Quicken literally for decades. (Thanks to all those who help offer answers!) I have tried to locate a current "best practices for users" document. I think it would be very helpful to those of us who have used the program over time while program features and functionality have changed, but perhaps our routines haven't. I've always been one to do a manual backup every time I finish using Quicken desktop. But it seems like the "superusers" here have learned additional routines I also need to adopt. If I understand correctly, some of these are: turning off anti-virus programs before doing cloud syncs or updates, doing a cloud sync every time you open Quicken and right before closing, doing both a manual backup and a validate and repair before every update. I've probably just scratched the surface, but these are a few pieces of advice gleaned while trying to find answers. Perhaps I could have avoided my data corruption issue if I'd known these are things we should all be doing.
  • edinsac
    edinsac Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    ...and this morning, just like that and with no action on my part since installing the R48.15 update (which did not help), the issue has miraculously resolved itself - file opening time is back to a few seconds.

Any insights on this, Quicken?
This discussion has been closed.