Roth 401k option doesn't allow for employer contribution

Seth
Seth Member ✭✭✭

R49 offers paycheck support for Roth 401k contributions but there's no ability to include employer match amount - don't understand how this would be added without it. I had been doing this all manually previously by adding the employer amt to gross pay and then manually deducting it from post tax deductions. What's the point if I still have to do all of this?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited May 2023

Hello @Seth,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(QWIN-21980)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi @Seth , I heard back in regard to this and I will send you a private message. You can view private messages at the top of the page. Select the envelope icon to see the message shortly. Thanks!

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin

@Seth

I was able to get some information from someone on the Windows team.

An Employer contribution is always traditional (i.e., Pre-Tax contribution).  There is no option to make an employer contribution Roth 401(k)  (See for example this article). If the employer does provide a match it is added to a separate, pre-tax, Traditional 401(k) account (see this).

So, employer contribution needs to be added in ‘Pre-Tax’ deduction section of the Paycheck.

Hope this helps.

• 23-yrQuickUser
    23-yrQuickUser Member ✭✭
    "An Employer contribution is always traditional (i.e., Pre-Tax contribution). There is no option to make an employer contribution Roth 401(k)"

This used to be true but changed with Secure 2.0. See #4 in this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinmckenna/2023/01/05/5-big-changes-to-roth-accounts-in-secure-act-20/?sh=7816937f22c5

"So, employer contribution needs to be added in ‘Pre-Tax’ deduction section of the Paycheck."

It is not a deduction; it is a match. Added as a deduction it will reduce the net deposit amount to less than it actually is by the match amount.

Thank you for working on this.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Jeff the law recently changed with the Secure 2.0 act. Employers can now make matching Roth 401(k) contributions:

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2023/02/06/secure-act-rule-changes-every-roth-401k-owner/

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Jeff

Thanks for the info, @mshiggins !

I'd heard some noise about that but did not know it was happening. As employers start supporting this in the coming years I could imagine changes to better accommodate the new law.

• Seth
    Seth Member ✭✭✭
    Would think Quicken would be on top of the current structure of 401k Roth plans. Employer Match has been in place so we need a simple and comparable option to that of regular 401k employer match.
  • jenngine
    jenngine Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Any follow up on this issue? The Roth 401k After Tax Deduction needs the Employer Match Field. Please advise if this has been escalated to the development team and when an expected fix will be issued. Thank you
  • Quicken Jeff

@jenngine see my post above about how to handle the employer match on pre-tax dedication (i.e. when the employer is contributing to the traditional 401(k) in addition to your Roth 401(k) contribution).

The ability to support pre-tax contributions as per the new Secure 2.0 (which went into effect around Jan of 2023) is tentatively scheduled for release in Quicken version R51—pending successful testing, beta approval, etc.

This discussion has been closed.