Auto-Enter Reminders don't work anymore - changed to Manual/Upcoming - (edit X9)

Robert Armani
Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭✭

Is there a reason why the auto-enter transactions in bills & income don't work anymore?

First, it changed to manual entry [last week] on its own. I edited the transaction and changed it back to auto-enter hoping it would work this week, but it didn't. I edited again to make it auto-enter, but the only options I have is either Edit or Delete.

Any suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• rleifield
    rleifield Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023

My American Express Bill Reminder was changed by the Quicken program to an Income Reminder. This caused me to miss my payment and therefore have to pay a late fee and interest! This is not the first time this has happened. It is obviously a bug in Quicken. Please fix this. My Bill Reminder for my Apple Card is also now showing as an Income Reminder when it used to be a Bill Reminder. Please don't assume this is a User Error!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK, paying a credit card bill should be defined as a Transfer Reminder, with the Transfer-from account being your checking account.
    However, it can also be either an Income or an Expense Reminder, depending on which account you're looking out from:
    Expense Reminder, associated with the checking account, using Category = [credit card]
    or
    Income Reminder, associated with the credit card account, using Category = [checking account]
    See the difference?
    I recommend using Transfer Reminders.

Reminders should be recorded before the due date, before you download transactions from the bank reflecting the transactions. That ensures a correct pair of register transactions exists in both accounts when the download data arrive.

I also recommend authorizing the credit card company to make automatic debits from your checking account on due date every month, either for total credit card balance or a different amount. This will ensure that you'll never miss a payment again.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Robert Armani,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Robert Armani

Thanks Qucken Anja, I'll let you know the results next week.

• Robert Armani

Greetings Quicken Anja,

I just checked this morning and the program automatically removed the "auto-entry" and placed it under manual entry again.

BTW, this happened since the last update. Everything was fine before that.

I even noticed my twice a month paycheck is defaulted to once a month.

• Just Me and Not Someone Else
    Just Me and Not Someone Else Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

For years I have used numerous income/bill reminders that are set to automatically enter. Last week there was an update to Quicken and most (but not all) my bills and deposits switched from Auto Enter to Remind. I have tried 1) switching the reminders back to auto enter, 2) deleting several of the reminders and recreating them. Every time I Synch with the cloud Quicken changes the reminders from Auto Enter back to Remind. I tried, but can't determine any pattern as to why most of the reminders keep switching, but not all the reminders.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
      AND
    2. do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken. Could your problem be caused by Sync?
    If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.
    If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud
    • Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

The auto entry disappearing is a known issue that our teams are working to resolve, although we do not currently have an ETA. If you wish to be informed of updates and know when the issue is resolved, I would recommend bookmarking this Community Alert. If you do not see the bookmark icon in the upper right corner, please make sure you are signed into the Community.

You are not the only one affected by the twice a month paycheck changing to once a month. I would recommend posting about it in this discussion, and if you haven't already done so, please go to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    I had entered numerous transactions in my calendar (both one time and recurring) and had entered them so they would be entered automatically three days in advance.

I noticed that the clock symbol started to appear to the left of accounts in my accounts list, which had not happened previously. After investigating I found that all of my calendar entries had been changed to "Remind me X days in advance."

I have gone back in and manually changed them all back to "Automatically enter them in the register X days in advance."

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to have to go back and do this again!
  • Quicken Kristina

Hello @Smokeyham,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the response. I do not keep my Quicken file on a network drive (i.e. Onedrive or similar) since I know that this can cause issues.

I have had an ongoing issue where an update to the Quicken program will corrupt the file. I tried a number of solutions to that issue, but with no success. My work around is to be sure to have a backup before doing an upgrade and then to restore the file.

The problem with the switch from "Enter in Advance" Changed to "Remind Me" is a new problem. Could it be related to the upgrade issue I have been having - possibly.
  • Yes I use both the mobile app and Web to access Quicken regularly.

1) I went in to everyone of my reminders and changed them from "Remind" back to "Auto Enter".

2) I deleted my synch log.dat files.

3) I reset my Quicken file on-line.

4) Checked my bill reminders and they were all reset back to "Remind" from "Auto Enter"

So all this didn't fix the problem.

• scottkin
    scottkin Member
    edited May 2023

[Removed - Rant]

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you see this Alert, posted yesterday:

Is it possible that this applies to you?
    If you are using the views under the Bills & Income Tab, also view the reminders using the Tools Menu / Manage Bill & Income Reminders view. Does it show "Remind me" when it should show "Auto Enter"?

• Probably. Thank you.

• Quicken Kristina

Do you recall when this corruption problem first started? Your profile shows you use the Windows version of Quicken. Which version of Windows do you use? Is it on a Windows computer, or do you use virtualization to run Windows on a Mac? Do you use an anti-virus? If so, which one?

You mentioned you manually changed your bill reminders back the way you want them. Have they stayed that way?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Kristina,

I first noticed the issue about a week ago (not sure the exact day). I am running Quicken under Windows 11. It is on a Windows computer. I am running the standard Windows Defender, but not using any additional anti-virus programs.

Unfortunately the bill reminders have reverted back to being reminders and are no longer "automatically enter X days in advance."

It appears that the revision to being reminders occurs when I do a One-step update.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Just a quick follow up - I tried adding a new recurring transaction to the calendar and set the transaction to automatically enter 3 days in advance. I looked at future months and confirmed that the transaction had accepted this setting.

As soon as I did a One Step Update the transaction changed from an automatic entry to a reminder.
  • Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Kristina said:
    >
    > You mentioned you manually changed your bill reminders back the way you want them. Have they stayed that way?

Another follow up. I went back and tried changing the future transactions in the calendar to automatically enter again and verified them as automatically enter for future months. As soon as I used the One Step update they reverted to being reminders.
  • ragtopvette94
    ragtopvette94 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

Using quicken for windows latest version R49.29 Build 27.1.49.29 Windows 11 Home. Since latest quicken update all my scheduled transactions that I had to go in register automatically changed to upcoming and have to manually enter. Changed them all back twice now to automatically enter, but after exiting quicken, they are all back to upcoming, except a couple stayed at automatically. Any help?

• Quicken Kristina

Do you sync with the Quicken Cloud when you run One Step Update? Are you seeing the change to reminders on the Bills & Income tab? There is a Community Alert for a similar issue, but it is just a display issue and does not change the actual behavior of the reminder. If this is related to that issue, then going to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web and turning the Sync off may prevent those reminders from changing.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Smokeyham
    Smokeyham Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Kristina,

Yes, I do sync with Quicken Cloud when I do the one step update. I access Quicken both through my phone and through my laptop so need to sync with Quicken Cloud, so turning that off will not help.

I am seeing the change from auto entry to reminders when I access the calendar via the Bills and Income tab.

FYI - The functionality does change (despite what is said in the Community Alert). In the past I did not have the clock symbol displayed to the left of an account name in the account list and the transaction was automatically entered into the appropriate register on the number of days in advance that I specified.

Thanks to you and your team for your continued work on resolving this.
  • DOD
    DOD Member

I have the same issue and am on the exact same version and build.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • ragtopvette94
    ragtopvette94 Member ✭✭

That's got to be the issue, didn't notice after syncing just closing file. I'll watch for it when it syncs again. thanks

• stevedell
    stevedell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    I have quite a number of recurring transactions that I have told Quicken to "auto enter" three days before the due date. These have now been changed to "remind."

I changed all of these transactions to "auto enter." This morning when I downloaded from my various bank and brokerage accounts, my VISA bill has the "reminder" notification, the grey clock, to the left of the word "VISA." When I click on the clock, I'm brought to a screen with a series of reminders that should have been auto entered.

This started happening around May 1, 2023.
  • tmjackso
    tmjackso Member

The exact same thing happened to me just a few days ago; none of the normal suggestions or settings to turn this off/disable reminders work, so it's clearly a code bug from the latest release.

• Quicken Kristina

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@Quicken Kristina

@UKR

It's not just the "auto enter" that's not there, some payments that had showed "EDIT" in the Action column have now changed to "ENTER" which means that "automatically enter" has now changed to "remind me".

Here's what's strange about that…yesterday I changed everything back to "auto enter" (after doing that all of the "auto enter" tags showed) then I followed all of the procedures to re-sync to the cloud, signed out and back in to Quicken multiple times and all looked well…this morning everything looked fine but the "auto enter" tag had disappeared and within minutes the "EDIT", in the Action column, changed back to "ENTER" but ONLY FOR THE PAYMENTS THAT ARE DUE IN 30 DAYS…all of the payments after 30 days are still displaying "EDIT" in the Action column.

Note that the reason I had to change everything back to "automatically enter" was that a few days ago I had noticed that some of them had changed, on their own, to "remind me" so I then changed them back but yesterday I saw that they had changed again so I, once again, changed them back.

Paul

• In addition to the auto-entry functionality going away I just noticed that the income reminders that utilized the Paycheck Wizzard have been converted to regular income reminders. Luckily all the lines are there, but the definitely are not set up using the paycheck wizzard.

This discussion has been closed.