Quicken deleted all of my transaction history

Klancey7
Klancey7 Member ✭✭
I don't know what happened but when I logged into Quicken my earliest and latest transactions were from 2020. I had been saving a Quicken backup file but when I checked that was overwritten by the 2020 data so I have nothing from the last two plus years.

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Please tell us you had your Quicken data backed up to more than one backup source so you can restore your data from one of those sources. Just guessing, but it sounds as if you only have one backup. If you just depend on the automatic backup on your computer, you may be out of luck. If you have your data backed up to only one source, it is not backed up because your computer can fail or an external backup device can fail.

I have my data backed up to Drop box and two separate flash drives. The odds are likely astronomical that my computer backup, dropbox and two flash drives will all fail at the same time.

Hopefully, you have other backup devices where you can restore your data. More than anything, the important concept is that there never be only a single copy of important data.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also suggest you go to File > Find Quicken Files. This will search your hard drive and find all Quicken data files on it, including backup files. It might be a long shot but if what happened to me has happened to you then you might find your backup preference have been changed…including where Quicken is saving your backup files. If this is the case, this search tool will find the "misplaced" backup file(s) which might have the missing data in it/them.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Klancey7
    Klancey7 Member ✭✭
    You are confirming my worst suspicions Keeper and Noatmaniac. I used the find quicken file and it turned up a bunch of files most from 2020 but 4 recent ones with different names all having the same date and close to the same time stamp. I also have iDrive continuous backup and did a version search and the last four versions before the file jumped to the 2020 date stamp were all from yesterday and have no significant data in them. I have Acronis backup and there was a backup made last month but Acronis is refusing to restore anything right now so that is another tech support issue I am involved in.
    Thank you for your support. My real hope will be in resolving the Acronis issue as the backup was valid last week and covered everything on the disk.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2023

I'm no tech expert and I really don't understand too much about iDrive continuous backup. How does it work when the file being backed up is a database? Can the database "think" it is being accessed by two different things (by Quicken and iDrive) at the same time? If so, would that place it into the same risk category as running the data file from a Cloud storage site or other non-local drive?

• Klancey7
    Klancey7 Member ✭✭
    Good evening Keeper and Noatmaniac. I discovered what I think happened but I'm not sure how to fix it. When I logged into the web version of Quicken I discovered that I have three profiles and what I think happened when I logged in with the desktop version it somehow switched profiles so I have access to a data file with 2019 and 2020 data rather than current data. In the web version, I can switch back and forth between the profiles but in the desktop version I cannot work out how to set the correct profile as my default. Secondly, could I import the data from the other profiles and consolidate them into one data file?
  • Boatnmaniac

I am sorry, @Klancey7 , but I do not use Quicken on the Web so I am not able to assist you on this. Perhaps someone else will be able to offer some assistance. You might need to contact Quicken Support regarding this via Phone or Chat ( https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support ).

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @Klancey7,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. In Quicken on the Web, those profiles you are switching between would be Quicken files you have synchronized with the Quicken Cloud. Please note that the Quicken Cloud is not a backup service. It can see data that has been synced to it, but doesn't let you pull that data back onto your computer unless you have the file it was synced with open in your Quicken program on your computer.

To switch between Quicken files on your computer, usually the simplest way to do it is from your Quicken. Click the File menu option and near the bottom, just above where it says Exit, it will list your 4 most recently accessed Quicken files (or fewer if you have not opened 4 different Quicken files), with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

When you open your Quicken, unless you are opening a data file directly rather than clicking on the Quicken program icon, it would default to the last Quicken file you had open when you last closed Quicken.

You can also switch between data files by navigating to where you have the file stored on your computer and double clicking on that file. If your Quicken is already open and has a different file up, you will get a prompt in you Quicken asking if you would like to open the other file.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Klancey7
    Klancey7 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Kristina. That was really helpful. A new issue has arisen that I have not seen before. When I downloaded my Bank of America accounts they all downloaded except my checking account. I have run the download a couple more times but the checking account will not download. I did notice it in the list of accounts being downloaded but it never showed up on my account list. My Capital One checking account downloaded and everything else except the Bank of America checking account. Have you ever seen this before?
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

Are you getting any error messages or error codes when you try to update the account? You mentioned you saw it in the list of accounts being downloaded, but it never showed up on your account list. Does that mean that account is not showing up in the One Step Update Summary screen at all?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Klancey7
    Klancey7 Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Kristina. While waiting I spent time exploring every drop-down menu and option and discovered that for some reason that account needed to be specifically downloaded rather than automatically downloaded. I have it now and everything is good.

Thank you for your willingness to help,
  • Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your response,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it to download.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.