ERROR - "Unable to download currency rates - try again later"

Answers

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Organone , in response please note:

1. Neither the IMPORT nor the UPDATE buttons are working for me. The USD F/X rate is unchanged.

2. Mac Version only has an UPDATE button (see attached image).

Thanks.
  • stelub
    stelub Member ✭✭
    Looks like the error message on the update screen is showing that currencies are updated, but if you check the currency list update history, nothing has been updated since May 25th. Perhaps slow progress or some trickery going on????
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

A fix has been put in place for this issue, and we ask that if you haven’t already, to please go ahead and try updating currency again.

Please let us know how it goes! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Masterchiun
    Masterchiun Member

error message is gone BUT last update is 5/25/23

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried, same experience as @Masterchiun ; that is, the error message is gone BUT the last update was 5/25/2023.

Still NOT working! Sigh!!
  • dcarefoot
    dcarefoot Member ✭✭
    Agreed. Error message gone but neither the One Step Update of currencies or the Import feature in the Currency tool are functioning. It appears that Quicken simply removed the error flag.
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭

Same experience here - error message is now gone but last rate update is still May 16, which is what it was before the fix was put in place. Score: Gremlins 2; Quicken 0

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

[Removed-Rant]

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Anja,
    Currency Update still not working for the Canadian Version. The error message is gone, but we need the currency data. Also, PLEASE fix the IMPORT button on the currency list screen.
    I'm guessing that virtually everyone using the Canadian Version deals with multi-currency...without these features the program loses its value as Canadian users are forced to have to enter the data manually.
    THANKS
    Stephen
  • edwardlican
    edwardlican Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. The US to CAN currency is not updated. It does not show any error, it just remain the same with no change. I have filed the problem report to Quicken, waiting for the correction.
  • Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello anyone from Quicken...could you please tell your Canadian users if you intend to fix this issue, not only with the currency UPDATE, but also with the IMPORT button?
    It is almost two weeks now, and these features are essential for Canadian users that work in both CAD and USD.
    Thank you
  • Arctic Hare

I tried testing the currency Update and Import features in a brand new file to see what result that produces. I created a new file with no mobile/web and one empty offline account - basically an empty, shell file. I checked the F/X rate for U.S. Dollar before trying an Update or Import and it listed a rate of 0.97172 for U.S. Dollar, which is obviously not current as we haven't seen a rate close to that for a very long time. At this point (before running Update or Import), I also tried clicking on "Historical Prices" and noted that nothing happens, the historical price table doesn't even open.

Then I ran OSU, which immediately informed me that Currency exchange rates have been updated. Now, when I clicked on the Historical Prices button, the Historical Prices table does open, but it is empty/blank - no rates appear, not even the 0.97172 rate that appears in the main list.

Then I tied the Import function, which very quickly told me that the US Dollar prices had been imported. Now, when I opened the Historical Prices table, there was some price history in the table, but it starts in 1990 and ends on Sept 16, 2008 - nothing close to current.

After running both Update and Import, the "current" rate in the main list stays stuck at 0.97172, which is the rate that seems to be baked into a new shell file.

In summary:

• the Update function is not working whatsoever, even in a brand new file, and even though the Update Process Result Dialogue Box indicates that prices were updated (they weren't)
    • the Import function does import some historical price data, but the most recent price that is imported is Sept 16, 2008

I submitted another Report a Problem from the test file with notes similar to the above.

This is a very serious impairment of the functionality and utility of Quicken. I hope, despite the radio silence here from Quicken, someone on the Product Engineering/Development team is working hard to resolve this very serious issue as quickly as possible.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Arctic Hare - Thanks for the thorough testing on a newly created file. The lack of acknowledgement by Quicken on this very serious issue is troubling.

I too am still not seeing any currency updates (CDN to US$) past May 25, 2023.
    The error message is gone but the problem still exists, which is a problem in itself.

I'm now sending daily "Report a Problem" messages, hopefully until there is at least further acknowledgement of the issue or that it has actually been fixed.
    Thanks to all who have confirmed that they're having this problem.
  • JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    I've just noticed that the currency problem has been listed in "Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues". Apparently US users are having the same problem as Canadians -
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935542/updated-6-1-23-error-unable-to-download-currency-rates-try-again-later-us-canada#latest

As of June 1 - Quicken Anja posted - "We have identified the root cause of the issue, and we have escalated it with our service provider. We do not have an ETA at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience."

The post from June 2 by Quicken Anja above that the issue had been solved was likely erroneous as they didn't realize that although the OSU message stated that the currencies had been successfully updated, the fact is that they hadn't.
    Many subsequent users have made that clear. As a result we'll just have to hope that as of June 7th they are aware of this and are continuing to work on the issue.
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arctic Hare , ditto, MUCH THANKS for the thourough testing and reporting. Now all we need is an actual fix, ideally to both issues!

• cgruchy
    cgruchy Canada Beta Beta

Starting June 6, the One Step Update Summary started reporting "Currency Exchange Rates Updated" with a green symbol. I thought "great, that was fixed quickly", (for Quicken anyway). Then yesterday, when I was manually inputting dividends to my USD brokerage account, I noticed that the exchange rate was unexpectedly high. So, I went and looked at the Currency List history, and low and behold, none of the currencies on the list have updated since May 25, 2023. So, the error message was removed, but the issue is still there. People will think the issue is solved. It is not. Please provide update as to when the issue will be fixed. My currency valuations on my USD transactions are now all incorrect for transactions after May 25, 2023.

• cgruchy
    cgruchy Canada Beta Beta

For those asking about the Import button. I clicked on the Import button today and this is the result:

1. Click the "Import" button on the "Currency List" screen.
      "This feature will import historical US dollar to Canadian dollar exchange rate data. The data will be placed in the US dollar historical rates table."
    2. Click OK.
      "The data has been successfully imported."
    3. No, it has not.

• Arctic Hare
    Answer ✓

Actually it did import rates, but the latest rate it fetched was from 2008. I tested that feature in a new empty file and determined it does import rates, but only very old ones.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    I don't know if this is relevant but I just discovered in the Notes in Quicken Help for currency rates that the rates update feature is only available in the Quicken Home & Business version. I'm using this version but still no luck with either "OSU", update or import after May 25.

Last post from Quicken Jasmine on June 8 - "This issue remains ongoing and our teams continue to work toward a solution. No ETA or further details are available at this time, and this Alert will be updated once more information, updates, etc become available."

(https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7935542/ongoing-6-8-23-error-unable-to-download-currency-rates-try-again-later-us-canada#latest)
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi All, I have heard back from the developers and they say this issue should be resolved. Can you please check and let me know as soon as possible, if you are still seeing this issue? Thank you.

Quicken Janean

• Arctic Hare

@Quicken Janean I tested the currency f/x update and import just now. One of two issues has been resolved. Update now, once again, obtains the current (today's) rates. The Import function is still broken. The most current rate provided by the Import function is on Sept 16, 2008… yes, 2008.

Please now fix the Import function - it is useful in its present state.

• Arctic Hare

If the Import function were also fixed - which it isn't - we could import the missing rates from between May 26 and today (June 12), but we can't because the Import function only obtains rates up until Sept 16. 2008, which is non very useful in 2023.

• Masterchiun
    Masterchiun Member

I looked at the US currency and it did infact show as 6/12/23, today, I also did Euro's. I'm not sure how import works but Swiss francs and egyptian pounds both were updated to today.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hello Quicken Janean
    The IMPORT button in the Currency List in Canadian Quicken H&B is still not working. Simple question, would appreciate a response...
    Quicken intends to fix this feature for its Canadian subscribers...YES or NO?
    Thank you
  • Arctic Hare

You mean "Update" not "Import", correct? The Update feature get's current/today's rates. Import is supposed to get historical rates, but it is still broken.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭

R50.9 Canadian stock prices still not updating correctly. That said, the f/x rate is now updating!

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Hi JoelC...is your IMPORT button working in the currency list? If not, please post so Quicken can see that it needs fixing. THANKS
  • Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited June 2023

Thanks for the feedback! I have shared the issue with the importing button with the developers and am waiting to hear back. Thank you for your continued patience.

Quicken Janean

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    As per others above, my USD currency exchange rate is posting a price for today - June 12.
    Unfortunately when trying to "Import" there is still nothing between May 25 and June 12. The "Import" button runs and concludes that prices have been imported but no new prices show up.
  • cgruchy
    cgruchy Canada Beta Beta

Rates updated today (June 12) using One Step Update. I reviewed the exchange rates for USD and there is a gap between May 25 and June 12. I clicked Import on the Currency List screen and it did not bring in the missing rates between May 25 and June 12, even though the system said historical rates were updated.

This discussion has been closed.