R52.19 - Banking Transaction Report not filtering on Memo [edited]

Options

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Dennis DeVries
    Options

Add one more unhappy user to the broken memo report problem. Using Spending/Itemized Categories does work but it is subtotaled by category which requires expanding each category to see the details, not very useful.

I too look forward to a fix ASAP!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dennis DeVries

If you go back a few comments in this discussion, you will see that there is a workaround for this issue.

The "Memo contains" filter is applied only if the report is sorted in Memo order.

If you click on the Memo header to sort the report in Memo order then customize it to specify the "Memo contains" information and any other filters, the report is displayed correctly. If you click on a different header to re-sort, the "Memo contains" filter is ignored. If you click on the Memo header again, the "Memo contains" filter is applied and the report is again displayed correctly.

Note that this same issue and workaround applies to all reports that are derived from the Banking Transaction report, including banking account Register reports.

Quicken still need to fix this issue, hopefully soon.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Dennis DeVries

I haven't done the update yet as I am waiting. I just tested my current version (R51.12) and I can make a transaction report, sorted by date, memo filtered on gas and subtotaled by month for the YTD. All works fine. If I change the sort to various columns (not just memo) all the transaction show up in the report and the monthly totals are all correct. In the R52.20 version work around would this still be true?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

In R52.20 the report with the "Memo contains" filter only works correctly if it is sorted by Memo. Again, this is not a fix, it is a partial workaround. If you need to have the report sorted in some other way, you must stay at R51.12 until Quicken fixes this bug.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Jim. That is what I thought and will just stay with 51.12 until I hear of an update that fixes this and then update (maybe…). 🙄🤔

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Based on the limited information in the Customize dialog, I can only guess at which report the original poster is using; it looks like it may have been created from the Banking > Transaction report.

[When Quicken "saves" a report, I wish Quicken would save the name of the original underlying Quicken report and the Quicken Release ... and maybe the date the saved report was last modified.]

-JP

[Merged Post]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    edited September 2023
    Options

When Quicken "saves" a report, I wish Quicken would save the name of the original underlying Quicken report and the Quicken Release ... and maybe the date the saved report was last modified.

There was an Idea post on that topic, but unfortunately it has been closed and archived because it did not get enough votes.

[Merged Post]

• JelPak
    JelPak Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm having difficulty with a transaction report that should be filtered by the Memo field. Rather than getting the few transactions that I expect, I get all existing transactions for the time frame selected.

I'm running Quicken R52.20 Build 27.1.52.20 on Windows 10.

When I purchase something I enter a transaction into the credit card account I am using. I put a description of the thing I am buying in the Memo field of that transaction. For example I might buy a plumbing part and I'll put the part number in the memo field. Let's say a part number looks like this: "KWC W.535.092.106". At some point I'll run a transaction report to find all transactions for the part number starting with "KWC". I produce the transaction report (Reports→Banking→Transaction). A Customized Transaction window pops up. The Date Range defaults to "Year to Date". I click on the Categories tab and store "KWC" in the "Memo contains" field under "Matching".

When I run that report I get all transactions that took place "Year to date". What I expect to get is a report that contains all transactions where the Memo field starts with "KWC".

[Merged Post]

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Also, the match filters do not work on memorized payee reports. (Go to memorized payees and choose a payee and go to the far right of the line and click to generate a report.)"

I missed that earlier. 

I just tested and R52.20 correctly filters transactions using the Matching criteria in the Payee report generated from the Memorized Payee List. I tested using the two periods and the tilde to Match, and each worked as expected.

[In fact, that Memorized Payee List > Payee report is initially generated using Matching criteria to limit the report to the selected payee name. When the report first appears, look at the "Payee contains" Matching field on the Customize > Payees tab. There, the payee selected from the Memorized Payee List will appear in the "Payee contains" Matching field, preceded by an equals sign.]

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dave Ings
    Dave Ings Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Add me to the list of customers impacted by this recently introduced "memo filter" bug.

Saved reports which I've used for years, and which I depend on to manage my family's finances, are no longer working. Fortunately the "sort on memo" workaround does work for me as well.

Apparently Quicken's release regression testing isn't as thorough as it should be. This is a bad "escape".

• littlebuffalo
    Options

Quicken Kristina and mshiggins,

I am not getting the match criteria filters to work on the memorized payee reports. For example, I generated a report for Lowe's and got everything for all dates. Then I said only transactions yearly. This worked fine. Then I typed ..electrical.. in the memo field and it did not filter the transactions that only have electrical in the memo.

How do I go back to a previous version that was working?

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Here is a link to the older versions. I am using R51.12 from August without issue. I read about this filtering issue before I updated to R52.20 and I am not having these issues. I am waiting for the next update to arrive and then will read about whether the issue has resolved or not. Until then I will stay with a stable R51.12

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

• kwkmjk
    kwkmjk Member ✭✭
    Options

Just downloaded the newest release 52.28 hoping this memo filtering problem had been resolved. It does NOT seem to be. Still does not apply the memo filter unless you subsequently sort the report by the memo field. Cannot sort by date or any other field and still have the memo filter eliminate items that do not match the memo filter term. So disappointed. Has anyone else had a different experience with the new updated version.

• farmwife
    Options

same here, 52.28 did not fix the problem. And since my reports are looking at every single transaction for that memo over the last 20+ years it also takes 30 seconds or more to pull up the incorrect data. Then it freezes my entire program for 30 more seconds… then I can click on the memo column head and have it resort to show only what I need. 52.28 was only intended to show us the updated name and logo, there are no fixes of any kind in the release notes.

• tpotters
    tpotters Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm another frustrated user due to the Banking Transaction Report filter based on text on the "Memo Contains" field no longer working.

[Removed - Speculation]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

The cause of this issue has been identified and a fix will be implemented in a future release, though we do not have an ETA. Thank you for your continued patience. I am sorry that this has been ongoing for as long as it has.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kwkmjk
    kwkmjk Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina, delighted to hear this update and eagerly look forward to Quicken's fix ASAP. Please keep us posted when you have an actual ETA. Thank you for this post.

• Jerry.2
    Jerry.2 Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem !!

It always worked OK, until the last couple of weeks.

Is there a fix yet ???

Thx much…

• ronealwa
    ronealwa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Adding to the list of impacted users. I just noticed this evening that I am getting the same problem on all of my saved reports that use the memo field for search criteria. The "Click on Memo field" does seem to work, but the minute you attempt to sort by another field (say "Date" for instance which how I really want to sort the report by), the report ignores the Memo field criteria.

This is a VERY BIG pain! I hope they fix this soon!

My Quicken version is currently 27.1.52.28

• ronealwa
    ronealwa Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks https://community.quicken.com/profile/Dave335 for providing the work around to be able to revert QW back to version 51.12 where the memo field search on reports works.

This was VERY helpful.

Thanks! 👍️

• carabac
    carabac Member
    Options

Adding myself to the list of frustrated users. I reverted back to version 51.12

• Darren@
    Darren@ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I only see this happen with This issue only happens with Banking Transaction reports. Reports like "Itemized by Payee" and "Spending by Category" don't see to be affected by this bug.

• farmwife
    farmwife Member
    Options

Getting very close to end of year tax prep season for the farm. Is this going to be fixed soon?

• carabac
    carabac Member
    Options

So another update has been released (52.33) but no mention of a fix for this problem.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I tried R52.33 and this issue is not fixed.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

That is very irritating that it has not been fixed. I guess I just sit on 51.12

• MG2526
    MG2526 Member
    Options

R52.33 installed, but still cannot generate a report that filter a particular word in the memo field. This is a critical failure. Is Quicken working on this ?

• hurtmj
    hurtmj Member ✭✭
    Options

Still not fixed at version R52.33

• Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This thread is about the memo filter error. Please start a new thread for Tax Planning issues. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.