Price Increase

Options
marylpn
marylpn Member ✭✭

I just received an email regarding the price increase starting January 14, 2024. Quicken will renew for me on January 2, 2024. Will the price increase affect me this year?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If your subscription will renew on 1/2/2024, you will be charged for what the price is of that date….not the new price that will take effect on 1/14/2024.

I'm no sure what you mean by "Will the price increase affect me this year?" There is no way that the price increase of 1/14/2024 will affect anything prior to 1/14/2024.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• marylpn
    marylpn Member ✭✭
    Options

"On January 25, 2024, the price of Quicken Classic Deluxe will change from $4.99 per month to $5.99. Because subscriptions are billed annually, the new price won’t affect you until 01/02/2024 which will be your first renewal date after the change."

This was confusing because of this statement. Saying the price won't affect me until my renewal date which is actually BEFORE the first renewal date after the change. I am just trying to figure out if I will be billed the higher amount since I renew before, not after.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see what you mean. The problem is "marketing talk". You pay for a yearly subscription to Quicken Classic, as such it will not change for one year. They changed the "marketing talk" to state it in monthly to 1) Make it sound less, and 2) To link up with Quicken Simplifi which is actually a monthly payment. As such, for Quicken Simplifi they will be affected come January 25, 2024 and beyond.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • marylpn
    marylpn Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! The email was not clear at all. I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

• NebularNovice
    Options

That's still clear as mud. The problem is the stated renewal date where our price will be increased is BEFORE the price change, not after it.

Please look at the dates carefully and clarify what you mean.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

@NebularNovice example:

My subscription was to renew on 1/17/2024. If I had waited, and paid on that date, I would still have paid for a year before 1/25/2024 when the new price takes effect.

If your subscription was expiring on 1/25/2024 or above and you waited till that date you will pay the new higher price.

In reality though I actually paid to renew my subscription in November which extended it to 1/17/2025. So, I don't have to worry about the price change until that time.

As I understand the current "rules" you can renew/extend your subscription up to 6 months in advance. Also, if you buy from a retailer, you will get an activation code. From what I understand it is good for up to a year. So, one could buy that now even if they aren't within the 6-month period, wait until they are within 6 months of the subscription expiring and extend the subscription.

CORRECTION on Quicken Simplifi, it is bill yearly too. I had that wrong. All the "monthly" references is purely marketing.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Sorry everyone. I didn't read the posts close enough. I didn't get the email you guys are seeing (which I'm thankful for, I haven't had any stupid messages from Quicken in years), so my eyes just passed over the mistake they made:

People are getting an email that states something like this:

"On January 25, 2024, the price of Quicken Classic Starter will change from $3.49 per month to $3.99. Because subscriptions are billed annually, the new price won’t affect you until 01/06/2024 which will be your first renewal date after the change."

Clearly the email should have said 01/06/2025.

Signature:
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello All,

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. I am sorry that the email you received provided the incorrect renewal date. We did confirm that the year should be 2025- not 2024. If your next renewal date is before 1/25/24, you will not be eligible for the price increase until your next renewal date.

Please let us know if you have any more questions and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine , appreciate the update particularly given that my annual subscription renews on 01/02/2024!

Thank you!

• ToddPM
    ToddPM Member ✭✭
    Options

Good think Quicken doesn't have anything important to do with, like, numbers or anything.

• marylpn
    marylpn Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Jasmine for clarifying this confusing email that was sent out.

• marylpn
    marylpn Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you all! Happy that I was not the only one with questions about this! Thanks again Jasmine~

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Do you really think the programmers writing the Quicken software have anything to do with creating marketing emails?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ All, I got a revised e-mail from Quicken correcting the above discussed error so all good! Nothing to worry about. Very happy that my renewal date is 01/01, I got lucky!

• MMichela
    MMichela Member
    Options

so what exactly are we getting for the increase? They already provide minimal updates at the old rate. Anyone else tired of greedy corporations nickel and diming. Anyone know of a viable alternative? I don’t. Sounds like a corporate monopoly to me. Thoughts?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

so what exactly are we getting for the increase? They already provide minimal updates at the old rate.

Assuming you're a Quicken Mac user, since this is a Quicken Mac topic, I'd disagree with your assessment that we get minimal updates. Of course not every new release has big features, and not every feature is of interest to everyone, but if you look at the Quicken Mac Release Notes for the 7 new versions released in the past 12 months, I think there's been quite a bit of progress. And if you skim through the Product Ideas for Quicken Mac topics which have been marked as "Planned" by the developers, I think there's a pretty substantial number of highly-requested features coming our way in the year ahead.

Anyone else tired of greedy corporations nickel and diming.

I don't think the announced price increase is "nickel and diming"; it's a quite substantial 14% to 20% price hike. But is it just a "greedy corporation" sticking it to consumers? Let's remember that in the two years since the last increase, we went through a major surge of inflation. For a company like Quicken, their top cost is likely paying their staff, and they undoubtedly had significant salary increases in competitive Silicon Valley. The cost of living index nationally is up over 10% in two years. We don't have enough information about their operations to know if their cost increases justify the level of price increases they've announced, but I don't know if they're being "greedy".

Sounds like a corporate monopoly to me.

Hardly! Quicken has perhaps two million customers, a very small fraction of adults in the US. There are numerous other products and services people track their savings, expenses, budgets, etc. And if Quicken pushes their rates too high, users will decide to move to other alternatives. There's certainly no monopoly involved here.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.