Pentagon PenFed PFCU unable to download x (QMac) [Edited]

Options

Answers

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

Still no luck. I spent some time on chat with Quicken support. The support tech did say that they were aware many users were affected. They offered to extend my subscription by two months for free but didn't know when the problem would be resolved. "Still under investigation". They encouraged me to send my error logs whenever the error occurs, so I'll do that once a day until it's fixed. If some Mac users are able to connect to Penfed already, then I wonder what else I can do.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

Ricke83 Thanks for the suggestions. My process never gets that far — after I enter my userid and password, there's a six minute wait until it says "unexpected error occurred". with the details "Remote Update in Progress". I never see any accounts listed, or any real indication of the error.

BTW, occasionally I mistype my password and it comes back fairly quickly to ask "did you mistype your information?" This tells me that it is normally able to get past the authentication on the PenFed side, but no further progress.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry you are still having trouble. Have you tried renaming your PFCU accounts (so not to lose data), disconnecting all of your current PFCU accounts, then starting from scratch and adding all of your PFCU accounts again? That's what I had to do to get my PFCU Visa to work again. If that doesn't work, geez, I'm not sure what is going on. As of this morning, I am still able to connect with PFCU and have transactions download. Make sure you use the financial institution as Pentagon FCU and not Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

Rickd83, thanks for the encouragement!

I disconnected all my accounts (so that I wouldn't have to wait five minutes every time I clicked update) a few weeks ago. I have tried both the "Add Account" option from the "Accounts" Menu and the "Downloads" option in the Account Settings for an account. I have selected the "Pentagon FCU" option each time. It offers me only "Quicken Connect" as my connection option. I've tried while connected to home, school and work networks, so it doesn't seem to depend on those either. Quicken Support has been no help, except to say that "many users are affected, etc, but keep sending us those issue reports."

I have an outgoing network filter called Little Snitch that I've used for years, but it is not filtering anything. Maybe my Mac looks different to the network?

I like Quicken for its ability to work on both Mac and PC (for my wife), as well as the web interface. But I've been seriously considering using another product if this feature continues to be a problem.

• QU01knom
    QU01knom Member ✭✭
    Options

Another option, at least to test is to create a new Quicken file. Then try to connect and see if that works.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Good idea.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

New Quicken file got the same negative result. I even tried cleaning up various abandoned Cloud sync files associated with the account. Still no joy. Thanks to all for your suggestions though. I appreciate your trying to help.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just something to try. Go to Pentagon FCU website and change your password, then try setting up new account on Quicken using the new password.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

In my case, Quicken is now communicating with PenFed and transactions are being downloaded to Quicken.

• QU01knom
    QU01knom Member ✭✭
    Options

Harry D…. A couple additional ideas that may help. Try turning of Virus Protection, Windows defender if using Windows, and/or VPN if using. If that doesn’t work, the last longshot idea I have is that your ISP is perhaps blocking the Quicken Direct transactions

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    Options

@QU01knom Thanks for the suggestions! I'm on a Mac so virus protection isn't an issue. I'm not using a VPN either, although I've tried it both ways without any luck. If my ISP is blocking Quicken transactions, then it must have started doing that right when lots of other people were having trouble with PenFed through other ISPs, so I can check but it's probably not an issue. Besides, I get the same errors when connected to a different network at work,.

I did find a support page with other suggestions — https://www.quicken.com/support/error-102-while-adding-account-quicken-mac#:~:text=Error%20102%20(or%20FDP%2D102,not%20carried%20over%20to%20Quicken. — which is interesting. When I first contacted Quicken support about this, they asked several questions about my password. They were carefully worded so as not to compromise my actual password, but it turns out that certain characters in a password might interfere with connecting. (The chars by the way are ones used for SQL and HTML injection by hackers.) My password does not contain any of the five special chars mentioned; furthermore, I was able to connect for years (on and off) before the current set of problems. So my problems began in mid-October — three months ago! — and nothing seems to have budged since then.

When I attempt to connect, I'm only offered Quicken Connect. Direct Connect is disabled as a choice.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using a Mac (MacBook Pro M1) too, and I am able to connect and download PenFed transactions. When I was first able to connect with PenFed, Quicken Connect was my only option as well. Since reconnecting, the only thing that I have noticed is that it takes a little longer for transactions to download. I am perplexed why it is working for some people and not others.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

An update:

Have still had no luck connecting to PenFed. Nothing appears to have changed — I get the error "REMOTE_UPDATE_IN_PROGRESS". Not clear what this even means, much less how to fix it. Quicken Support said it's a known issue still under investigation.

At this point, I have no reason to think they're really working on this problem. I got the impression there are others besides me, but apparently not a big enough number to do anything about it.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am still able to connect to PenFed. I am using a MacBook Pro - M1. The only thing that I have noticed is that downloads from PenFed take a little longer now, but transactions are getting downloaded to Quicken. I don't know why it is working for some people and not others. You may have already tried this, but have you tried starting a new Quicken file with PenFed as the only account?

I was considering leaving Quicken and going to something else. I tried Mint, but I didn't like it. So, I am going to stick with Quicken for now. You might try Mint and use PenFed as the only account to see if it is able to download transactions. I believe Mint is free or at least a free trial.

• graepers
    graepers Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I am using a MAC Desktop running Sonoma 14.2.1. I am using Quicken Classic Business & Personal.

I am no longer having issues connecting to PenFed. I disconnected all my PenFed accounts and then clicked on "Add Account". After prompts, I connected to PenFed and was able to reconnect the three PenFed accounts that I have.

I'm sorry you are still having difficulty. When contacting Quicken Support (if you elect to) ask the 1st line agent to "Escalate your issue to a 'Tier 2' US Representative". You will then get assigned a scheduled phone call consultation where the 'Tier 2' can share your screen and help you with the issue.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Support said that they're still working this problem but with no ETA. They also said PenFed is working with them for a solution, but I checked with PenFed, and found out that PenFed isn't "working" on anything related to this problem. They once again suggested downloading transactions and then importing into Quicken. This does not seem to be a Mac issue — I downloaded Quicken for Windows and opened a new file there, but still no connection.

Okay, there's supposed to be another connection option, namely, "Direct Connect" which is grayed out for PenFed. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it even an option with PenFed?

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Direct Connect is not an option for PenFed, and from what I have seen, not an option for most financial institutions. This may be due to many institutions now using 2-step verification, but I am not sure.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I wonder what percentage of Quicken users that use PenFed are still not able to connect. Why can I connect, but others cannot? It has to be some problem in the security and privacy profile or something along those lines.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm more mystified by the apparent fact that many users are, in fact, able to access PenFed accounts. So some of us are, and some aren't. If Penfed is indeed blocking scraping, then how is ANYONE able to connect? Quicken support indicated to me that "some users" still can't connect, but they didn't say what percentage. My post above (Jan 13) shows a link that shows a few special characters in a password that might be a problem; I don't have any of those characters in my password. Except for username and password, what other information does it need from me?

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

It is my belief that PenFed is still not allowing screen scraping, and that Quicken developed another way to connect with or without the help of PenFed support. Maybe I am wrong, but that would not explain why some people are able to connect and others can't. I wonder if users of Mint are having the same problem?

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Sometime ago, I setup accounts on Mint to try it, but I did not add my PenFed accounts at the time. I just went into Mint, and I added my PenFed accounts, and all of my PenFed accounts downloaded into Mint. So, for whatever reason, Mint is able to download from PenFed.

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    Options

I received the following from PenFed. So perhaps you're right and Quicken found a way for some of us (most?) but not all.

Thank you for contacting PenFed.

We apologize that the decision to disallow aggregators such as Quicken from accessing PenFed Online has negatively impacted you. Unfortunately, their process of extracting account data does not align with our information security standards. At this time, the only method PenFed approves for importing information into Quicken is by downloading your transactions and uploading them to Quicken. A concern regarding this situation has been submitted for future review and consideration. However, at this time we do not have any plans on removing this restriction. Sincerely,

Lindsay R.
    PenFed Credit Union

• Harry D
    Harry D Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

To my knowledge, Mint is being discontinued, so I haven't tried it for this problem. I did try with [Removed - 3rd Party Software] free trial, and it connected at first, but it had similar problems. There were other reasons I didn't want to go with [Removed - 3rd Party Software], so I didn't pursue it.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't believe that Mint is going away. It was acquired by Credit Karma.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am able to connect to PenFed now. Apparently, it is not working for everyone for some reason.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Intuit owns both Mint and Credit Karma. They are shutting Mint down & plan to roll some of Mint's features into Credit Karma. There's a banner right on the top of the Mint web site: "Mint is going away. Track your finances with Credit Karma. Click “Sign Up” to learn more."

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

Gotcha. I stand corrected. I don't believe that I want to go there.

• AndyCovell
    AndyCovell Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 3
    Options

This problem also continues on Quicken for Mac. The error is "REMOTE_UPDATE_IN_PROGRESS". Maybe it is related to the number of accounts. I do have more than 10.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @AndyCovell,

If you are still experiencing the issue after it has been marked resolved, please reach out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rickd83
    Rickd83 Member ✭✭
    Options

I use a Mac, and I have more than 10 accounts. Mine has been working since the fix. I don't know why some people are still having problems and others are not.

This discussion has been closed.