Blank screen running Quicken 1st time after install in Taiwan

Mark Huang
Mark Huang Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

No login request. Program just shows blank screen with "File" and "Help".

Tried turning off AV, restarting computer, logging into my account in the browser before starting, uninstall and reinstall…. nothing is working.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks!
Mark

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Mark Huang,

Could you please provide a screenshot of the blank screen you are seeing? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mark Huang

Hi Anja,

Here's the screenshot.

• Quicken Anja

Thank you for following up!

I know you stated you have already tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken. However, can try it again, and after you have uninstalled it and before you proceed with reinstalling, please open your Windows File Explorer and navigate to This PC > C: Drive > Program Files (x86) and delete the folder titled "Quicken" (doing so does not affect your data files). After you have deleted this folder, go ahead and try reinstalling.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Mark Huang

Hi Anja,

I've already tried doing that and it did not solve the issue.

Thanks!

Mark

• Quicken Anja

Thank you for confirming.

Have you tried opening Quicken directly from where the data file is located and double-clicking the data file rather than the application icon to see if it makes a difference?

Check back and let us know!

-Quicken Anja

• Mark Huang

I don't have a data file since I'm a new user and it's a first time install.

Cheers!
    Mark

• RalphC
    RalphC Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd try pulling down the File menu and choosing "New Quicken File…"

• Mark Huang
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no subscription information in the original pic that was posted. That tells me that Quicken is not communicating with the Cloud Account. Have you checked your firewall settings to make sure that Quicken is permitted to access the Internet?

Where are you located? If you are outside of the USA, you might need to use a VPN that is linked to a USA-based server.

Also, if you are located in the USA and have a VPN turned on, turn it off (at least for Quicken). I know when I'm traveling if I have my VPN turned on sometimes Quicken will not function properly, especially if the VPN is set to use a non-USA based server.

Is your Quicken installed on your local hard drive? If is installed elsewhere (i.e., Cloud site, network server, etc.) it will be problematic because Quicken is designed to be used on the local hard drive.

Is your Quicken installed in a folder that syncs with a Cloud storage site? If so, uninstall it and then reinstall it in a folder that does not sync with one.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Mark Huang

Yes, I turned off all firewall settings. Quicken is installed on C: drive (which is a local drive where Windows is installed). No, Quicken is not installed in a cloud storage folder.

I'm in Taiwan. I'll try to use my VPN to connect to a US based server and see what happens.

• Mark Huang

Yeah, no joy! Changed VPN to US Seattle server and still nothing….

• Boatnmaniac
    edited April 14

Quicken is designed for use in the USA only (or in Canada if you bought the Canada subscription). There are some in other countries who have bought Quicken subscriptions and have been able to use it successfully on a manual basis. But others have reported that they were having issues trying to use it all.

Even if you can get your installation up and running the only way you will be able to use any of the online services (such as transactions downloads, securities price updates, etc.) is if you will be downloading only from US or Canada financial institutions. Even that cannot be assured.

And note that Quicken does not support downloading financial data from any country outside of the US or Canada.

I also would like to know which edition of Quicken you subscribed to?: Starter, Deluxe, Premier or Business & Personal?

When you downloaded Quicken, did you download the file from your online Quicken.com account?

How are you planning on using Quicken? What are you hoping to accomplish with it?

If you want to download financial data but from countries other than the US or Canada, I am sorry to say you will not be able to do that. If you are planning on using Quicken manually, then we can explore your options further.

One other idea: Some VPNs have a setting to spoof the person's location to match the location of the server or website. If your VPN has that capability, you might want to try doing that.

• Mark Huang

I have the Premier version.

I downloaded from the welcome email link and also downloaded from my online Quicken.com account.

I only want to use it to keep track of my investment portfolios. I can enter the data manually but if it can't keep track and update the value of my portfolios automatically then it's pointless. Will request a refund.

To everyone who helped, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. 😊

• Boatnmaniac

@Mark Huang - Sorry that Quicken will not meet what you are looking for. Best of wishes for you in your search for a tool that will meet your needs and wants.

• cs-schmidt
    cs-schmidt Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I was experiencing similar issues, a blank screen on startup. The fix for me was the installation of WebView2. Then, when you launch quicken you should see the login screen (I had to click the center of the window a few times before it showed up).

Hope this help.

This discussion has been closed.