Reverting Quicken to an older patch fails - might be Windows username with space (edit)

PDC
PDC Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Recently automatically upgraded to R57.12 and now the backup command fails. When I attempted to revert to patch 27.1.56.9 by running "QW27.1.56.9MPatch.EXE", I get this failure message box:

I have verified this path & file exists on my PC; I suspect that Quicken is mis-handling the path because my user name on this PC contains a space between my first and last name. Anyone know a work-around? Thanks,

Tagged:

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

does your Windows user name have a space like - "win user" ?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, like "winuser "?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @PDC,

"I suspect that Quicken is mis-handling the path because my user name on this PC contains a space between my first and last name. "

Due to you mentioning having a space in your Windows username, I suggest removing that space and then proceeding to try again.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2

that is NOT a simple user name scenario like with Quicken -

In Windows - if you look at a Win PC disk layout -
    everything in the disk file structure is built around the "username" as part of the folder names.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

I have verified this path & file exists on my PC; I suspect that Quicken is mis-handling the path because my user name on this PC contains a space between my first and last name. Anyone know a work-around? Thanks,

This might work:

I think that such a program will be using the default lookups that look at your environment variables and there are two that are used for the temporary file location.

If you right click on the Windows start menu and select System → Advanced system settings → Environment variables, you can click on the TEMP and TMP lines and select Edit and change to a path that doesn't have a space in it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2

as @Chris_QPW mentioned - it might be the path to the temp/tmp files -
    Here is what that final screen of gold looks like - (our cat is Ella)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

BTW if one was going to change where their account was stored to get rid of the space in the username then they would be using the same advanced settings dialog by copying it to another location:

BUT I don't recommend this. It isn't as simple as it might sound.

It is something to keep in mind though if you setup on a new machine, picking a username that doesn't have a space in it, is a good idea for this kind of reason.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PDC
    PDC Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Hey thanks everybody! It appears that altering the TEMP & TMP environment variables to remove the spaces in the path has worked! 😀 😀 😀

This discussion has been closed.