American Express Banking not connecting - CC-502 (QWIN)

mparrott82
mparrott82 Member ✭✭

I was told to switch the way American Express FSB connect with Quicken. So I tried switching to American Express - Banking. Now it will not connect. I get the following:

"Oops, There is a problem. CC-502

What you should know:

Quicken can't add this account because the American Express - Banking website is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few hours. Thank You for your patience!"

I have been trying for MORE that a few hours, but no luck connecting. Am I screwed here? it was working fine yesterday. I cringe every time Quicken tells me I need to update something, knowing 99 times out of 100 it is going to fail and screw everything up.

Comments

• pippy
    pippy Member ✭✭✭

Same problem here. I went through the new authorization / connection process last night and this morning. Both times I reach the Amex login screen, provide correct credentials, am prompted for an out of band code, which all seem to work OK on the Amex end. After a few seconds I also receive the CC-502 error that the "American Express - Banking website is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few hours." message.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @mparrott82 and @pippy,

A cc-502 error is caused by maintenance on the bank's servers that Quicken uses to download transactions. You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information and troubleshooting steps. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case).

As per the FAQ: If refreshing your accounts does not resolve the issue - Try waiting one business day. This error message is typically caused by maintenance on your bank's website. You can try updating again in a few hours or the next business day. If the issue still occurs after one business day, try the steps above again.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Waitingtoretire
    Waitingtoretire Member ✭✭

Pursuant to the announcement that AMEX is changing their login mechanism, I was prompted to re-authorize my American Express savings account. When doing so, the form accepted my login credentials, and sent an SMS message as part of multi-step authentication. This resulted in this error message, which has been displayed since yesterday:

CC-502

Oops. There is a connection problem.
    What you should know
    Quicken can't add this account because the American Express - Banking website is temporarily unavailable.
    Please try again in a few hours. Thank you for your patience!

Please advise; transaction download worked perfectly until this "upgrade".

Quicken Classic Business & Personal subscription, Windows 11.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @Waitingtoretire,

A CC-502 error is caused by maintenance on the bank's servers that Quicken uses to download transactions. You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information and troubleshooting steps. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case).

As per the FAQ: If refreshing your accounts does not resolve the issue - Try waiting one business day. This error message is typically caused by maintenance on your bank's website. You can try updating again in a few hours or the next business day. If the issue still occurs after one business day, try the steps above again.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

Hi,

Jasmine, the article you point to talks about refreshing a connection to a bank. THAT WILL NOT WORK in this case, because Quicken is not connecting to the bank until the credentials are re-established.

I have been trying to do this for two days now without success (so that is on 2 different business days). While the CC-502 error talks about a problem on the bank side, this seems to be on the Quicken side (you guys made the connection change in your software). I can log onto the AMEX website with multiple browsers and I can (and have) downloaded the QFX transactions manually while waiting for this fix.

Please advise on both/either the current status and what Quicken is doing to resolve this. Thanks!

-Rx

• Dickey
    Dickey Member ✭✭
    edited June 27

Having the same issue: can log into American Express website without issue but when attempting to connect via Quicken received CC-502 error message. Clearly the website IS available and Quicken's error message is misleading. Something going on inside the Quicken world preventing this connection.

Also, have another quicken file with an American Express HYSA bank account just "reauthorized" successfully and download works. However it appears now to want to enforce 2 part authentication whereby a code is texted/e-mailed and entered into quicken. Seems when it does work it's a step backwards in speed and convenience.

Bottom line, seems quicken and American Express need to resolve both of these..

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

Agreed . The verifiaction once was fine. Has to stop asking with every OSU.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

And STILL requiring 2 step authorization to AMEX on OSU this morning. @Quicken please escalate this.

• Waitingtoretire
    Waitingtoretire Member ✭✭

Nope— despite refreshing the account, the problem persists.

• Steve7
    Steve7 Member ✭✭

Also cannot connect- after entering UserID and Password for AMEX- and then 2FA, I get this message when trying to connect- "Oops. There is a connection problem." CC-502

Also, in the What you should know" dialogue box- it says AMEX Banking Website is temporarily unavailable.. however I am able to log in through AMEX.com

• Roger Starr
    Roger Starr Member ✭✭✭

Same here. This is the start of the 3rd business day and still can't get this to work. I go through the reauthorization process, supply my user ID and password with no issue, request the 2FA code and enter it and all seems to be going well until Quicken (Windows) returns a CC-502. Frustrating would be an understatement.

• Jnic
    Jnic Member ✭✭✭

Tried to "reauthorize" this morning and getting 502 error. Account is using EWC on Classic Premiere. Clearly there is an issue here please investigate.

• joekivel
    joekivel Member ✭✭✭

I have 2 AmEx accounts. A credit card and a HY Savings account. I have no problems with the credit card account, but the savings account is asking me to 'Reauthorize' when I try it gives me the 502 CC error. If I bypass the reauthorization, it won't download transactions into Quicken. This has been going on for 2 days.

• stuardroth
    stuardroth Member ✭✭
    edited June 28

Mine hasn't worked since September 2023. Now the other day Quicken prompts me with the "new and improved" login, same as my Chase accounts EWC+. So I say to myself well finally Quicken has figured it out. Try to reset it back up and lo and behold nothing but error codes. Another fine job. But hey, how about their new logo…

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

First, please take a moment to review this support article regarding error code CC-502.

However, we will be forwarding this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    edited June 29

Hello All,

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem within your Quicken program and submit a problem report with log files and screenshots attached in order to contribute to the investigation. It would also aid the investigation to include a sanitized file when submitting the problem report. A sanitized file is a data file that removes personally identifiable information so you can comfortably share this file with the Quicken team.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Anja

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭

It is working OK for me, although when "reauthorizing" the connection yesterday, I was asked twice for an SMS code during the process.

I downloaded again this morning and one transaction (my monthly interest) came through. However, I had to provide an SMS code yet again. Just out of curiosity, initiated the EWC download one more time, right away, and this time there was no SMS code requested.

I am on the same build as @Roger Starr - we'll see what happens tomorrow!

• Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Quicken Mac 2017 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28

I'm posting from the MAC side and found this Windows post. We have the same problem because, let me be clear, the FDP-102 or CC_502 (Citibank?) error is NOT THE PROBLEM, it is a symptom. I worked extensively with Support yesterday (case #11139559) and can generate FDP-390 and additional FDP-102 errors for other American Express FIs attempting to find one that would work with a Personal Savings account. I also submitted all log files and data through HELP ⇒ REPORT A PROBLEM and many screenshots. Support has all the data they need. 

The problem is that Quicken deleted the "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" Financial Institution - without ensuring one of the other American Express Financial Institutions available connects and downloads American Express Personal Savings transactions.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is a bad day to be trying to connect to an American Express Savings account under "American Express - Banking".
    Every month on the 28th, AmEx is recording the monthly interest deposit to all their savings accounts. For that purpose, AmEx seems to have temporarily restricted access to their servers, even from their credit cards website. (I was just looking for something with my browser and couldn't pull up my Savings account)

Please wait a day and then try again.

Expect a 2FA security code prompt every day that you are trying to perform OSU.

• Scott Saylor
    edited June 28

UKR - Has nothing to do with this issue. My interest is deposited on the 16th of the month since 2011. The issue is that the “American Express FSB” financial institution was deleted.

• BrianV
    BrianV Member ✭✭

Same issue since yesterday. Can log into American Express Savings on website just fine, but "there is a new way to connect" error through quicken. Enter login info, get verification code, but another error saying the website is down and try again later. Day 2 of this.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭
    edited June 28

In my case the updates work (no CC-502), but I get prompted for a code each time. Seems it's due to Amex Bank using EWC instead of EWC+. I called Amex Bank and the guy I was talking to spoke with their tech folks who indicated that they are working on upgrading to EWC+. Seems that this is something Amex has to fix rather than Quicken.

Best of luck to those with connection errors. Hoping that that gets resolved soon. After that, folks may still experience the 2FA requests each time. But, there is some hope as, at least, they're aware of the issue.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 29

I'm having an issue with trying to link to my American Express Savings accounts (two of them). I've had no problems downloading transactions for 10 years. A few days ago, Quicken informed me that I need to "reauthorize" the accounts. That didn't work. I called Amex, and of course they told me they don't support "third party aggregators". [Removed - Profanity].

Today I back up my file and have tried to set up a NEW account with "American Express Banking" which I would then "link" to my existing account(s). I received a request to have them send a text with a six digit code. I got the code, entered it, and then I got an "Oops" message with error code CC-502. The verbiage says that the website is "temporarily unavailable" and I should try again in a few hours. I've been getting this message for three days.

I'm using Quicken Classic Premier on a PC running Windows 11.

Can anyone tell me what the actual problem is, and whether or not I'll be able to connect to download transactions?

Thanks.

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭

Just to keep things current: today is day 5 of attempting to get the AMEX Bank connection working, with the CC-502 error still happening. C'mon Quicken… make this right!

• harperjeff01
    harperjeff01 Member ✭✭

I am having the same problem. I deactivated American Express in Quicken, but when I try to Setup Now, it seems to go into a loop indicating that the American Express site is down. However I can log into American Express with no issues.

• Scott Saylor

Scott here again from the MAC side. Prior to the breakdown can you WINDOWS USERS remember which Financial Institution you were using for your Personal Savings connection via Quicken Connect? I'm pretty sure it the same as MAC but would like to confirm. On the MAC, we sere using "AMERICAN EXPRESS FSB" (Financial Savings Bank) FI - UNTIL IT WAS DELETED AND ALL THIS MAYHEM STARTED!!

• Quicken Anja
    edited June 29

Hello again,

In order for our teams to efficiently investigate and work towards a resolution, we will need as many users experiencing this issue as possible to please cooperate and contribute to the investigation by submitting log files via a Problem Report as requested and instructed in my previous comment.

As of now, we have only received logs from 3 out of 15 Windows users in this thread.

The more Problem Reports we receive, the better! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

In my case, the connection is working, and it's just the 2FA that happens each time. This would seem to be an issue on the Amex side in my case- they are using EWC instead of EWC+, and not something for Quicken to address. The CC-502, though, is a different story.

• Scott Saylor
    edited June 29

The 2FA is no big deal. That's the way corporate security is moving.

A few question regarding your Wen Connect connection to Quicken.

1. To confirm, you're using a Windows installation?
    2. To confirm, you;'re using the American Express Bank Web Connect Financial institution (see attached FI)
    3. Do you have an American Express credit card in addition to an American Express personal savings account?
    4. Are you the primary account holder?
    5. If so is there a second user on the account?
    6. If so, can the download connection be set up with their credentials as well?

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

I have both Amex cards and Amex bank. All are just mine. The cards use EWC+ and no 2FA. Bank uses EWC and requires 2FA. They (Amex bank) are working on upgrading their connection to EWC+, at which point 2FA will no longer be required each time.

This discussion has been closed.