Optum bank trouble?

Steven Brown
Steven Brown Member ✭✭

These guys won't leave well enough alone as my father used to say! This morning it is not accepting my password on Quicken and not downloading data, however, I am able to get into my account online. I did see this troubling announcement this morning and wondering if they are no longer allowing us to download our info on Quicken? I will also reach out to them with a strong objection if true!

"Security update will no longer allow financial management tools to integrate Optum account details. To better protect you and your data, we are no longer allowing third-party financial management applications (such as Credit Karma and Yodlee) to use your credentials to log in to our systems. As of 8:00 PM CT on 6/21/24 your Optum Financial information will no longer be accessible on those sites."

Comments

• rodralig0831
    rodralig0831 Member ✭✭

Same here…!!! The connection to Optum for my HSA and HSA Investment account has been unresolved since last night. Error message was something to do with credentials. Hence, checking by logging directly I saw this message. Really!?!

Optum just needs to do better security. They are just lazy with their engineers… AMEX, Fidelity, Schwab, etc. all do it - why not them?

• David Devoll
    David Devoll Member ✭✭

Same. Instead of disabling access, how about just doing it right?

• JeffinPTC
    JeffinPTC Member ✭✭

Please contact Optum and ask them to restore Quicken's Access

Jeff

Needs Your Attention

Notifications

Security update will no longer allow financial management tools to integrate Optum account details. To better protect you and your data, we are no longer allowing third-party financial management applications (such as Credit Karma and Yodlee) to use your credentials to log in to our systems. As of 8:00 PM CT on 6/21/24 your Optum Financial information will no longer be accessible on those sites.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

In order for a financial institution to support downloads to Quicken and to be added (or re-added) to our bank list, the request to be added would need to be made and submitted by the financial institution to our service providers. If you want Quicken to be supported, you will need to contact your financial institution directly and tell them you'd like to download your accounts into Quicken.

I hope this information serves to be useful to you! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Steven Brown
    Steven Brown Member ✭✭

I don't think Optum Bank cares about their customers utilizing a helpful financial utility such as Quicken. I hope this does not become a trend and I like how they provided no notice to anyone this was coming. Please see their response below for the ugly details:

Beginning June 21, 2024, Optum no longer supports the capability for data aggregators to access member-provided sign in credentials.

A data aggregator is a financial and money management application. These applications are not related to Optum and link accounts from financial institutions so you can view your personal financial information in one place.

When accessing these applications, accountholders do not need to pass Multi-Factor Authentication, which Optum requires to access account information.

Optum does not allow access to account information without prior identity validation, which can only be done through our approved Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) method when signing into the Optum member portal directly.

We do apologize, but there is no plan to reinstate this capability as it poses as a threat to security. In the future, Optum may consider alternative solutions if MFA can be implemented on aggregators. If this changes, we will notify you.

• jsen215
    jsen215 Member ✭✭✭

I just left the following message in Optum Bank -

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket# 11132468/CTP-10272)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Gregg107
    Gregg107 Member ✭✭✭

Optum has a track record of poor service and high fees. I've moved our HSA accounts to Fidelity which has no-fee HSA accounts and a very stable and secure site and integration with Quicken.

Note that the "Download to Quicken" button on the Optum transaction page still "worked" for me as of this morning (6/26/2024) but it downloaded a huge number of old transactions so, as before, it is still buggy.

• christinaund
    christinaund Member ✭✭

I emailed Optum about the error message and they literally responded with the error message .

• jsen215
    jsen215 Member ✭✭✭

I informed Optum that bigger banks like Bank of America, and Chase is able to use Quicken's integration and suggested they look into it.

I will definitely ask my benefits / HR to move our HSA from Optum to a regular bank. This is crap.

• ealued
    ealued Member

It doesn't appear that Optum has a convenient mechanism for feedback. I'm not looking to spend an hour bouncing around a phone menu with robo support. Anyone know of a better mechanism to provide feedback than to call?

• christinaund
    christinaund Member ✭✭

Yeah the responded to me to call if I had further questions. That means they are putting all of this on the poor customer services people. That is not fair.

• WendyO
    WendyO Member ✭✭

Same issues here. Response initially was "we'll respond within 48 hours."

Calling in is a joke. Can't get anyone who can give anything outside of the canned responses we're all getting. Frustrating beyond words. Curious if enough folks hound them about it if they will revisit their policy however if I am being completely honest - I don't have high expectations.

• sea_compgeek
    sea_compgeek Member ✭✭
    edited July 1

My companies benefit team shared this information with me today.

"I did receive confirmation from our Optum Financial contact that there will be a permanent block on third party financial managing applications as a part of Optum’s long-term security strategies."

To me, wrapping this with "security" is an excuse. If this was security related how are all my other banks and credit cards enhancing Quicken access (3rd party access) while Optum is removing it. If I had a choice over HSA provider, I would exercise that choice, but I do not.

• cmeyer76
    cmeyer76 Member ✭✭

The issue seems to be with MFA. Every time I try to sync the accounts, I get a one time password text from Optum. Quicken is not prompting for that code however.

• gayste
    gayste Member ✭✭

To get around this, is there a way to download transactions from a Optum mutual funds account to import into Quicken. I see the download from the HSA but not the funds account.

• Strike
    Strike Member ✭✭

We are having the same issue. I am just trying to get all my accounts set up in quicken. It is frustrating when banks use the excuse to protect your security when they are unwilling to work with the third party financial teams to ensure the security.

• cmeyer76
    cmeyer76 Member ✭✭
    edited July 8

I started getting the MFA prompt in Quicken now and was able to reconnect my accounts (Both HSA and Investments).

• Strike
    Strike Member ✭✭
    edited July 9

I am still getting this even though I can log into the website:

And no MFA is sent

Thank you

• VADan
    VADan Member ✭✭

I've been getting the MFA texts for a few days now when Quicken tries to sync Optum. Sometimes (not always) I would get a prompt from Quicken to enter the code, but the sync would still fail. This morning, I got the text, was prompted by Quicken, entered the code, and it worked! Hopefully it continues to work.

• Scarfile
    Scarfile Member

Time Heals all.

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 9

Optum is garbage. Not the worst, but garbage nonetheless. For my wife's HSA, they offer a QFX download even though they no longer auto-connect to Quicken, which makes zero sense.

Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • barrykmd
    barrykmd Member ✭✭✭

I "inherited" Optum when Wells Fargo sold their HSA accounts to them. I never liked Optum. The transfer from investments to cash is such a long and convoluted process. Sooo, I moved my HSA to Fidelity and have been pleased so far. OPtum charged a $20 transfer fee and it took 2 weeks until the Fidelity money was free and clear, because Optum mailed a paper check. Can you imagine a bank to bank transfer being made with a paper check?! Good riddance Optum!

This discussion has been closed.