Chase investment accounts showing as Simple vs Complete since June 6th

tmiglis
tmiglis Member ✭✭
edited September 5 in Investing (Windows)

Register does not show after update. Have Reset accounts; Deactivated and Reactivated to no avail

Answers

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

and yes accounts show they are linked with EWC+

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you done TOOLS, Account List, clicked EDIT adjacent to the accounts and set COMPLETE there?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

Option is ghosted and i am unable to change

• jeeper
    jeeper Member ✭✭✭

what version - Help —> About Quicken

and the "(o) Complete" at the bottom is not avail to click ?

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

Version R57.16 Build 27.1.57.16

Correct, the radio buttons are ghosted and not selectable

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

If I deactivate the account I can select Complete but as soon as i Activate it changes the selection to Simple and ghosts the radio buttons

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the box to Default to Simple Investing unchecked?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

Yes it is

• Boatnmaniac
    edited June 27

Are you connected to one of the JP Morgan or J.P. Morgan download setups? If so, which one? (In one of the pictures you posted above it shows the Account Name starts with JPM.)

Or are you connected to Chase Investments - New?

Also, is this a new account in Quicken for you or have you had it set up previously and Complete Investing was available then?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Just for reference I have both IRA accounts and a Brokerage account with Chase. All setup with Express Web Connect +/Complete investing mode. At times I have selected "Chase" or "Chase Investments - New" for these accounts and have found both to be working. I have never used JP Morgan as the name for the financial institution, and if you are using that, it might be the problem.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 27

@Chris_QPW said -

I have never used JP Morgan as the name for the financial institution, and if you are using that, it might be the problem.

Yes, using the correct Add Account financial institution is often critical to getting good downloads and account details.

In addition, while EWC+ supports both Complete and Simple Investing, some investment financial institutions using EWC+ support only Simple Investing.

That was the intent of my last post….trying to find out which financial institution is being connected to, perhaps which one should it be connected to, and whether or not the specific financial institutions support Complete Investing with EWC+.

Thanks for confirming that Chase Investments - New does support Complete Investing.

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭
    edited June 27

The connection was working properly and setup as complete prior to June 6th and somehow switched to Simple on the June 6th update. I have many chase accounts and the Banking accounts work fine, just the investment accounts have an issue. I have tried different "Chase" and "JPM" selections all to no avail. They bring you to the same login and account selection screen on the Chase site

• John Harvard
    John Harvard Member ✭✭

I am having the same issue. It seems that in the past few days, JP Morgan Chase decided to stop supporting "Complete Investing," and all of my investment accounts are now "Simple Investing." (Worthless). Does anyone know yet why this happened or how to fix it? The screenshot below is the explanation when you click "Why can't I change the tracking method?" EWC+ does work with Complete Investing for my Schwab accounts.

Is there a Quicken moderator watching this who can talk to JP Morgan Chase? I have my broker trying to find out on his side who did this.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this will go bad for me in time like it has for you two, but as of now I'm not seeing what you are. We have two Traditional IRAs, two Roth IRAs, and one Joint Brokerage account all setup with Express Web Connect + and Complete Investing mode.

I know that they tend to drop the + in the messages like this and really mean Express Web Connect + but can you guys check to make sure they are in fact setup for Express Web Connect +?

Signature:
  • tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

yes chase is connected ewc+. It is only an issue with chase. schwab uses ewc+ and i have no issues with my schwab accounts

• John Harvard
    John Harvard Member ✭✭

Also yes, EWC+ (answering Chris_QPW):

• jeeper
    jeeper Member ✭✭✭

tnx for sharing the Account Details —> ONLINE Services details - for the EXACT name and Connection Method -

also - please share your Quicken version….. Help —> About Quicken

• t-bird
    t-bird Member

I just encountered the same problem. I have four Chase accounts but they were listed under two seperate download listings. I deactivated then activated all four (making sure "link to existing account" was selected for all). That solved the duplicate listing and all four would update under the same Chase listing. However, the JP Morgan investment account was now "simple" instead of the previous "complete" and the option to change "grayed" out unuseable.

• Dan
    Dan Member ✭✭✭

Go through the account add process again, but select Chase Investments - New. You should see all the accounts and when you click through, Quicken should show them all as "link to existing". Complete this process and you should now see the account back to Complete. I needed to add a chase checking account recently and selected the regular Chase one and I think that flipped my brokerage account to "simple".

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

nope that doesn't work

• badgering
    badgering Member ✭✭

Same problem. I spoke to a person at Chase (after escalating from initial contact provided to me by a Chase banker) who told me they were aware of the problem and working with Quicken to address. Gave me no timeline for resolution.

• tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

It appears that the string of data from Chase or how quicken applies the data has a command to convert to simple. If you establish the connection and watch the download closely you will see the Quicken screen initially showing the register with downloaded transactions and then the screen switches the view to simple as it completes the download. Clearly a simple bug that can be easily traced by Quicken if they cared

• badgering
    badgering Member ✭✭

I’ve observed same. Red flags show up next

To account names and then transactions for show for an instant then conversion to simple and flags and transactions disappear.

I inferred from Chase that the issue is on Quicken’s end of the data sharing and downloading. Chase indicated they are working on it and if Quicken can’t rectify they hope to at least provide a workaround.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3

This isn't right. The chances of this being a Quicken problem is next to nothing.

Quicken (the program) code hasn't changed and this is doing something different for different people/accounts.

Quicken WILL do something different depending on the data it gets. The option to support simple or complete mode or both is up to the financial institution. So, there is definitely something in the data that is sent from the financial institution that controls that.

The fact that Quickens responses to the data that says that the account should only be in simple mode isn't a bug in Quicken.

Signature:
  • tmiglis
    tmiglis Member ✭✭

Something in the string is causing Quicken to change from complete to simple. It is either a latent bug in the Quicken App, a change by Quicken in the interface to Chase or a change by Chase to the interface or feed. I cannot see how you can definitively say it isn't a bug in Quicken unless you have actually traced the data through the code. Please note, i did not say it was a bug in Quicken, I said… "a simple bug that can be easily traced by Quicken if they cared"

• Dan
    Dan Member ✭✭✭

I had this exact issue after trying to add a new checking account and this fixed it for me. My brokerage account was back to normal and all the old transactions were still there. Sorry it didn't work for you, but it did work for me.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I will give you that one (I missed understood exactly what you said). But my bet is still on it being a Chase problem.

In the end, I will place another bet on "we will never know". That is how these things tend to go, there is some problem "upstream" from Quicken and it gets fixed, and no one actually says what was fixed.

Signature:
  • badgering
    badgering Member ✭✭

I've now tried every fix suggested in this thread (including reauthorizing, deactivating and reconnecting, add new account and selecting Chase instead of JPMorgan, etc.) and none have solved problem. Same behavior each time: Red flags appear next to account names as update nears end, then transactions appear for an instant, then conversion to simple tracking method occurs and red flags and transactions disappear. Box to change to complete tracking is greyed out with message that Chase doesn't support complete tracking (identical to John Harvard screenshots above).

Very frustrating. It'd be nice if a mod from Quicken could at least acknowledge the issue!

• John Harvard
    John Harvard Member ✭✭

Thanks, Dan! - This worked for me for now, with lots of duplicate downloads and errors. But it mostly works. Meanwhile, Chase IT is reporting (through my JPM broker) that the issue is a bandwidth issue at Quicken. They are aware that a limited buffer size is causing Quicken to retag the download data stream as Simple Investing (which downloads only securities; Complete Investing requires securities and transactions). Their mutual first attempt at a fix didn't work and they are working to figure it out.

• badgering
    badgering Member ✭✭

thanks for that info, John Harvard. I tried Dan’s approach and it didn’t work but glad to hear that Chase and Quicken have at least hypothetically pinpointed the problem.

This discussion has been closed.