Double counting of brokerage

crescere
crescere Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited August 8 in Investing (Windows)

In my 401 account overview, I have my 401 brokerage account listed, but this account is already in a separate account. This means I am double-counting it. Do I “delete security” or is there a way to get it out of this total?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @crescere,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is this a duplicate account or a duplicate security? If it is a duplicate account, then you would want to backup your Quicken, then delete the duplicate. Warning - Deleting an account is a permanent action. Once deleted, the only way to recover an account is to restore a backup from before it was deleted.

If this is a duplicate security, you can delete the duplicate, however, you will not be able to delete it until there are no transactions associated with it. For more information, please review this article on deleting securities. Please make sure to backup your Quicken file prior to deleting a security.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• crescere

Quicken is treating the brokerage amount AS IF it were a security. The amount is an old summary of what I used to have in my brokerage over a year ago, so the total is inaccurate.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please clarify your current setup in Quicken:

Do you have one or two accounts in Quicken for your 401(k)?

Is the issue that in your 401(k) account, you have your current mutual fund holdings and also a security whose value is the account value from over a year ago? This could happen for example if you originally tracked the account manually and started downloading transactions some time ago.

QWin Premier subscription
  • crescere

I have four accounts: a 401 account with the respective mutual funds, a 457 account with the respective mutual funds, a 401 brokerage account with the respective stocks, a 457 account with the respective stocks. The brokerage stock accounts are summarized with a total in the 401 and 457. For some reason, Quicken has this sum amount as a security. I don't know why. I am thinking I should just delete the summary brokerage accounts in my 401 and 457. yes?

• crescere

Okay, this is ridiculous. Quicken won't let me delete the brokerage summary amount because it says I have transactions in it. This is NOT a security. How do I get it out of the 401 and 457 investment accounts? In addition, I have a stock which must have been sold years ago. I tried to "remove shares", but now I have a large negative dollar amount. I again tried to delete that security, but Quicken again says I have transactions in it.

• crescere

I tried hiding the security, but its balance is still included int the account total. What does "hide security" actually accomplish?

• crescere

i just saw your post. so do I want Quick Zoom Investment Forms checked or unchecked? Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Thank you for your replies,

Hiding a security will keep it from showing up on the Securities List and conceals it to prevent future use of that security. For more information, please review this article on hiding/viewing securities.

Could you please provide some context? Where are you seeing this? Is it a pop up in Quicken or elsewhere? Are you able to provide a screenshot (with any personal information redacted)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.