Subscription Model Prices vs. "Old" Purchase Model

dmillerdotcom2
dmillerdotcom2 Quicken Windows Subscription Member
edited October 6 in Before you Buy

Does anyone remember the good old days? I've been using Quicken since its DOS days. I would purchase a new version every 2 years just to be sure my database version didn't get obsoleted. Back then it ran anywhere from $29 to $49 for the Deluxe version. It has always had its bugs but was usable. Now it costs over $70 annually {…}. It's been over a year now that my bug reports have been in a status of In Process. I can't have 2 different accounts with the same institution. Everything either falls apart or throws errors when I try to add my wife's credit card while mine exists. Lately, I've been experiencing issues with reminders. When I adjust them, they shift to some unknown date picked out of the air. Another feature that has followed the application for decades is report issues. No matter how many times you adjust columns the report always gets condensed to an unreadable format and require adjustments on every printing. Transaction memory has been exciting. It randomly adds categories and tags to repeated transactions. You have to be very careful that unwanted categories and tags don't get assign due to the applications decision to pick them out of the air.

After 30 plus years it is getting very tiresome paying this extraordinary amount for a problem riddled piece of software. [Edited - Readability]

Comments

• retird
    retird Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

@dmillerdotcom2

I too get randomly added categories and tags to repeated transactions. Very frustrating…. have to manually adjust the categories as necessary.

As far as number of accounts with one financial institution I have 19 accounts. Some of them are my accounts, some are my wife's accounts, and some are joint accounts. More than 1 card is attached to the joint accounts. All are contained in one Quicken file. Are the cards tied to the same account for payments, do the cards have the same card numbers and verification codes, and etc. ? I ask because your post doesn't go into much detail about the cards and how they are set up.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• dmillerdotcom2

My account expires tomorrow, 10/13/2024, and I just cannot justify spending over $70 for 12 months of errors. Especially when I could not connect to my account for several weeks in October of 2023 due to Quicken security issues with bank security changes.

We have separate accounts with Chase, each with one credit card, and Quicken will not allow me to attach to the second account to add the card. It responds with an error when I attempt to add the second card/account. We have the same situation with another institution and it allows me to attach both cards/accounts but on every download one of the two cards show an error. The download seems to complete successfully though. The "fix" option does nothing. Deleting account, shutting down, rebooting, relaunching Quicken, and attempting to readd accounts yields the same results.

Error:

=======================================================

{Institution}

CC-800 | {account user name} 1 accounts @

It appears one or more accounts) at First Bankcard have been deleted. This could happen if you have restored from a backup file. You must add the accounts) to Quicken again. Select Fix it to resolve this error. For more information see the FAQ.

Fix. It

========================================================

• retird
    edited October 12

@dmillerdotcom2 so when your wife accesses her account on line at the bank her bank username and password is different than yours? And when you added her account to Quicken you set it up with her bank username and password in the One Step Update so the One Step Update accesses two usernames and passwords at the bank?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• dmillerdotcom2

The account is under a different user, yes. When I attempt to add at Chase, after authenticating at Chase, Quicken says that there are no accounts to add. If I delete my account, I can add hers. If I than try to add mine back Quicken says it does not exist. This problem started about a year or so ago. We had no problems for many years prior to that. I've actually had her stop using that credit card. If I remember right, it was around the time that several banks started to upgrade their security models. I followed all the recommendations of deleting, exiting, launching, and readding with no change to the results.

A fun fact, today, the last day of my current subscription, I downloaded my transactions for my checking account. Somehow a check to my granddaughter for her birthday got matched to a charitable donation from 6 months ago. They were for the same amount but the dates weren't even close. I corrected this on accepting. Now, any time I highlight that transaction it shows the charities name. It's the first I've seen this. A new feature?

• retird

I wouldn't think it should have matched as you said since the check numbers are different if you wrote a check for the charitable donation. Strange but seems recently I read numerous posts about Chase issues…..

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

If I delete my account, I can add hers. 

It sounds to me that Chase is preventing one Quicken file from accessing more than one Chase account. Why would they do that? Trying to minimize the chances of fraud/data theft. But they clearly don't understand some of their customers do have multiple accounts. I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure this is Chase, not Quicken, at fault. (Not that it matters in the end; you just want it to work!)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 credit cards from Chase (but no other accounts with them) and haven't had a problem connecting/downloading into my Q registers from them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• dmillerdotcom2

This is awesome!! I've chosen not to renew. Now I can't even manually balance any of my accounts. Sounds like a case of mini ransomware. Over 30 years and this is what loyalty gets you. It's just like politics and modern christianity. The golden rule, "screw them before they screw you."

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@dmillerdotcom2 What level subscription did you previously have? If it was Starter, then it has been well publicized for many years that you can only use it as “read only” after your subscription ends. But if you had Deluxe, then you absolutely should be able to manually add new entries, create reports, reconcile accounts, etc. What subscription did you have?

As for “loyalty”, no, there is none in a subscription pricing model — from any company. WCan you still get cable TV and Internet if you end your cable service? Can you still listen to music if you end your Spotify/Apple Music streaming service? With some software — Adobe particularly — you can’t even open your files after your subscription ends.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dmillerdotcom2

I have had "Deluxe" for as long as I can remember. I've just uncovered another great "feature". Quicken had matched a download to the wrong payment reminder prior to my expiration. I corrected that. Now, a few weeks later I find that when it made that mismatch, it deleted the reminder, and I am now late on that payment. On another note, I admit oddly, Verizon has actually given several adjustments that are temporary but have not gone away yet in the past several years.

• dmillerdotcom2

I did inadvertently find that while all menu and ribbon references to reconcile are gone, I accidently hit Control-R while in the register. This brough up the reconciliation module. I hope I didn't expose a mistake and find that they remove it in a future update.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Manual reconciliation should always be available when using Deluxe or higher, whether or not the subscription is current. What should have gone away (including all references to it) when you let your subscription expire is the ability to reconcile to the Online Balance.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just uncovered another great "feature". Quicken had matched a download to the wrong payment reminder prior to my expiration. I corrected that. Now, a few weeks later I find that when it made that mismatch, it deleted the reminder, and I am now late on that payment.

If the download was incorrectly matched to a reminder:

• What usually happens when a download is not matched to the correct reminder: Quicken will prompt the user to decide whether or not the Quicken matching suggestion is correct. One also has the option of accepting downloaded transaction matches prior to entering the transactions into the register in the Downloaded Transactions tab beneath the account register. If one accepts the suggested match instead of rejecting it, then that is not a Quicken issue.
    • Whenever a a specific reminder transaction is deleted from the account register (whether it has been matched to a downloaded transaction or not), that specific reminder will be deleted from Quicken. The user then needs to either create that reminder again (if it is a 1-time reminder) or, if it is a recurring reminder, the recurring reminder needs to be edited to reset the "next date". It is not a Quicken issue when this is not done.

Now, if deleting 1 reminder (of a recurring reminder) is deleted from the register, it should not be deleting the entire recurring reminder. It that happens, then that would be a Quicken issue.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall a prior discussion where the user could no longer access the reconcile and other account actions menu items as the egregiously large expiration banner covers that area of the Quicken screen. I believe @splasher had posted a picture showing the banner and the egregious amount of screen real estate the banner blocks.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list