Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.3.0 & 3.3.1 Released

Options

Comments

• opt
    opt Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    i really like the new budget feature. I did notice that I had to deactivate my checking account after new transactions did not update in quicken. After I re-activated the account, the download worked and the transactions appeared. That was the only 'issue' that I have found. I am working in the budget to fully understand the options and so far so good! I have heard others mention quarterly reporting, and print or csv options, and I agree.
    Thanks Quicken Team.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

i really like the new budget feature. I did notice that I had to deactivate my checking account after new transactions did not update in quicken. After I re-activated the account, the download worked and the transactions appeared. That was the only 'issue' that I have found. I am working in the budget to fully understand the options and so far so good! I have heard others mention quarterly reporting, and print or csv options, and I agree.
    Thanks Quicken Team.

I'm concerned that you had to deactivate your account to get transactions to download again.   Did you get an error when you try to download and no transaction downloaded?  What bank did this happen with?
  • opt
    opt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Thanks Quicken Team.

No error messages on the first download. Everything appeared to have processed normally, BUT the new transactions were not there, until I re-activated.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

[mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] - when in Edit Budget, I have Business Income:Rental Income (Business) and Personal Income: Bonus & Personal Income:Paycheck selected.  Everything appears correctly on the 12-Months view.  However, when I change over to the 1-Month view, Personal Income:Bonus is showing under expenses opposed to income. please contact me if you would like a screenshot.  Thanks.

I was able to try this today.  I'll send you email to see a screenshot.  I was able to reproduce something like you describe when my budget value was 0.  If I have a budget set to 0 it looks like we have a bug where it's not considered a real budget and just groups it all under Expenses and also the bars don't draw.  Was the budget set to 0 for that one particular item?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Thanks Quicken Team.

Weird.  Could there have been a filter turned on so that the new transactions didn't appear because they were filtered out?  Anyway, please let us know if it happens again.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

[mention://92472 [mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]] - when in Edit Budget, I have Business Income:Rental Income (Business) and Personal Income: Bonus & Personal Income:Paycheck selected.  Everything appears correctly on the 12-Months view.  However, when I change over to the 1-Month view, Personal Income:Bonus is showing under expenses opposed to income. please contact me if you would like a screenshot.  Thanks.

[mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus] - i forwarded screenshots.  I hope it helps.  Yes, the Bonus category was set to $0.00 and it was showing under Expenses.  I then set a budget amount for Bonus category and it did move under Income.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I received your update for my Mac and i LOVE it.

Anyone else run across this problem?
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yes, I see the problem.

No matter which choice I make for distributing amounts thru the budget year, Quicken is distributing the amount evenly into each month thru the period. I was expecting lump sums at the selected intervals - as that is the most common data entry scenario I would like a solution for.

Sadly, while there is a nice selection of intervals for this "calculator", there is no option for distribution over N days. I have expenses like  "D dollars ever 12 days", or "T dollars every 30 days", which are hard to enter in the current budget tool.

Noteworthy, the recurring transaction scheduler also does not have number of days scheduling, so I am constantly adjusting schedules on these transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

I agree that entering an amount and choosing quarterly should populate that amount every third month.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Proposal:
    1) Change current behavior such that lump amounts are inserted in budget at selected interval.
    2) Holding down Option key while selecting interval follows the current behavior.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    (Somewhat minor issue) If you click the calendar button to adjust the date for the new Portfolio Time Machine, the popup calendar extends beyond the right end of the window. If the window is full size, or full screen, then part of the calendar popup is not visible. Ideally, the popup would reposition itself to be fully visible when the main window is at the right edge of the screen. See attached screenshots. QM2016 Version 3.3.1 (Build 33.12036.100).

I'm looking forward to trying out the Portfolio Time Machine when quarterly account statements are received at the end of June.
    imageimageimage
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    Options

Annoyance with new scheduled direct bill pay feature: For most of my scheduled bill pay transactions, the amount varies each month, yet I like to have the transaction scheduled so that I don't forget to pay it. I normally save these scheduled transactions with a zero dollar amount, and enter the variable amount each month as I pay the bill. However, if you designate a scheduled transaction as "To Send" in 3.3.1, it will not let you save a zero dollar amount for the transaction. It would be better if scheduled transactions were allowed to be saved with a zero dollar amount, and the validation that the amount must be non-zero deferred until such time as the transaction is actually about to be transmitted.

My workaround is to save the transaction with $0.01 for the amount. But this could lead to inadvertently sending a penny to the payee.

QM2016 Version 3.3.1 (Build 33.12036.100)
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

Marcus, The following credit card transaction download problems are not strictly a 3.3 release issues. They first manifested themselves in 3.2.1 (I never installed 3.2). I reported them at that time but am repeating them here since they have not been resolved.

1. American Express: I have both an Amex Costco card and an Amex Blue card. Both previously downloaded transactions properly; however, now the Costco card works properly but the Blue card is marked as a "Error 324 Account Marked as Dead". When I deactivate downloads, delete & Keychain info & repeat the setup process, I was able to again set up the Blue card with a window showing both cards properly linked but continue but continue to receive the "Dead" error. At one point I received a download error of 900 (?) and a message about the Throttler and "in Progress". The Costco card continues to download transactions properly.

2. Capital One Venture Card: This account also worked properly in the past but now downloads and marks as cleared both the posted transactions and now a selection of the pending transactions with each download. The online balance is properly downloaded and tied to the posted transactions only. This obviously makes reconciliation very difficult. I have to go to my account in a browser, identify and unmark the improperly downloaded pending items, reconcile the account in Quicken and then finally go back and mark the improperly downloaded pending items as cleared since, having already been downloaded, Quicken will not download & mark them cleared again once they have become posted transactions.

Both of these issues may a Quicken backend issue rather than a Quicken Mac version update issue, but it is coincidental that they occurred about the time QM was updated. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks.

Data point... I have both Amex Costco and Amex Blue cards and have not had any issues with either.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

Annoyance with new scheduled direct bill pay feature: For most of my scheduled bill pay transactions, the amount varies each month, yet I like to have the transaction scheduled so that I don't forget to pay it. I normally save these scheduled transactions with a zero dollar amount, and enter the variable amount each month as I pay the bill. However, if you designate a scheduled transaction as "To Send" in 3.3.1, it will not let you save a zero dollar amount for the transaction. It would be better if scheduled transactions were allowed to be saved with a zero dollar amount, and the validation that the amount must be non-zero deferred until such time as the transaction is actually about to be transmitted.

My workaround is to save the transaction with $0.01 for the amount. But this could lead to inadvertently sending a penny to the payee.

I agree.  I did the same thing with $0 in Quicken for windows
  • EricO
    EricO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

Marcus, The following credit card transaction download problems are not strictly a 3.3 release issues. They first manifested themselves in 3.2.1 (I never installed 3.2). I reported them at that time but am repeating them here since they have not been resolved.

1. American Express: I have both an Amex Costco card and an Amex Blue card. Both previously downloaded transactions properly; however, now the Costco card works properly but the Blue card is marked as a "Error 324 Account Marked as Dead". When I deactivate downloads, delete & Keychain info & repeat the setup process, I was able to again set up the Blue card with a window showing both cards properly linked but continue but continue to receive the "Dead" error. At one point I received a download error of 900 (?) and a message about the Throttler and "in Progress". The Costco card continues to download transactions properly.

2. Capital One Venture Card: This account also worked properly in the past but now downloads and marks as cleared both the posted transactions and now a selection of the pending transactions with each download. The online balance is properly downloaded and tied to the posted transactions only. This obviously makes reconciliation very difficult. I have to go to my account in a browser, identify and unmark the improperly downloaded pending items, reconcile the account in Quicken and then finally go back and mark the improperly downloaded pending items as cleared since, having already been downloaded, Quicken will not download & mark them cleared again once they have become posted transactions.

Both of these issues may a Quicken backend issue rather than a Quicken Mac version update issue, but it is coincidental that they occurred about the time QM was updated. Any thoughts or solutions? Thanks.

[mention://56982 @RickO] - Interesting. Are you using Quicken Connect or Direct Connect? Apparently the issue is afflicting only Quicken Connected accounts and perhaps only some of them (clearly mine was one). I switched to Direct Connect for Amex on Intuit's advice and all is working fine now.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

I'm using Direct Connect for both. I find it to much preferable for any institution for which it's available.
  • opt
    opt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    opt said:

Thanks Quicken Team.

I checked the filters and the view was not filtered. Everything appears to be working fine.   I'll let you know if I see it happen again.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

(Somewhat minor issue) If you click the calendar button to adjust the date for the new Portfolio Time Machine, the popup calendar extends beyond the right end of the window. If the window is full size, or full screen, then part of the calendar popup is not visible. Ideally, the popup would reposition itself to be fully visible when the main window is at the right edge of the screen. See attached screenshots. QM2016 Version 3.3.1 (Build 33.12036.100).

I'm looking forward to trying out the Portfolio Time Machine when quarterly account statements are received at the end of June.
    imageimageimage

Thanks RickO.  The calendar pop-up doesn't work really well in full screen.  I'll write up that bug.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

This sounds reasonable.  Let me chat with the developer about why he designed it this way. Thanks for bringing it up.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options

This is a great discussion.  We're reading it and taking it in.  Keep the suggestions poring in.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

I would suggest making it a warning instead when you create or edit entry if amount=0, with ability to accept or go back to edit, then an alert when trying to send, and prevent sending, if amount = 0.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

Direct connect, typically, has better data quality if you can do it without paying fees.
  • EricO
    EricO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

I agree fully re: Direct Connect and prefer it where available. I use it for my JP Morgan and Wells Fargo accounts (WF waived the fee for me). I didn't realize Amex allowed DC until George Chinn pointed me in that direction. That resolved my Amex Dead Account issue. Unfortunately, I can't find that Citibank or Capital One credit card services offer Direct Connect, so I'm still experiencing the pending transaction download issue with my Capital One Venture card I noted earlier. Hopefully, George will come up with a fix!
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

I have a Citi credit card that is connecting with Direct Connect. My website access is via www.citi.com rather than citicards.com if that matters.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

My Citi TY Premier card connects via direct connect.  however, my deposit accounts connect via quicken connect.
  • EricO
    EricO Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    EricO said:

I'll check out citi.com and see if I can get a direct connection to my card. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • RickO
    edited January 2019
    Options

This may be a bit off topic, but I was hoping that the pencil/envelop icon issues might be resolved in this release. Any idea when?

To review the issues: 

1) If you have a manually entered transaction that never gets downloaded (e.g. a voided check), then the orange pencil never turns blue and therefore never can be cleared by marking the transaction as reviewed.

2) The blue envelop icons that result when a Direct Connect Bill Pay transaction is downloaded and matched do not disappear when the transaction is marked as reviewed.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

This may be a bit off topic, but I was hoping that the pencil/envelop icon issues might be resolved in this release. Any idea when?

To review the issues: 

1) If you have a manually entered transaction that never gets downloaded (e.g. a voided check), then the orange pencil never turns blue and therefore never can be cleared by marking the transaction as reviewed.

2) The blue envelop icons that result when a Direct Connect Bill Pay transaction is downloaded and matched do not disappear when the transaction is marked as reviewed.

I agree. This has brought up several times in the past. I assumed it would have been resolved by now.   If you look at all cash accounts with the filter set to see only not reviewed, the revolve does not appear. If you go to the actual account, the envelope appears.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

imageimageimage

Just chatted with my team and they told me they have already fixed this.  It should be fixed in our next release which will be 3.4.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

imageimageimage

Wonderful. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.