Options
124»

Comments

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

Annoyance with new scheduled direct bill pay feature: For most of my scheduled bill pay transactions, the amount varies each month, yet I like to have the transaction scheduled so that I don't forget to pay it. I normally save these scheduled transactions with a zero dollar amount, and enter the variable amount each month as I pay the bill. However, if you designate a scheduled transaction as "To Send" in 3.3.1, it will not let you save a zero dollar amount for the transaction. It would be better if scheduled transactions were allowed to be saved with a zero dollar amount, and the validation that the amount must be non-zero deferred until such time as the transaction is actually about to be transmitted.

My workaround is to save the transaction with $0.01 for the amount. But this could lead to inadvertently sending a penny to the payee.

QM2016 Version 3.3.1 (Build 33.12036.100)

Ok I see now.  I was setting the schedule date and not touching the start on calendar.  Thanks, All set now.
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

After updating to v3.3.1 I am experiencing issues with the account downloads. This feature worked (at least connected to my accounts and downloaded transactions) prior to the update.  First, the software stopped downloading one of my accounts and listed it as an option to connect.  So I went through the interface to "Try to Connect" the account and that account was not listed as an option to connect to.  So after reading several other comments on similar issues I decided to deactivate downloads for all my accounts with this bank (Redstone Federal Credit Union) and attempt to reconnect (and link) them to my Quicken accounts.  Now the only account that will link is the Checking Account.  All the others are listed as accounts (except the first one mentioned above), but when I click the dropdown list to select Link... the only option is to link to the checking account.  So now in Quicken the only option I am given is to link all 8 of my accounts at this bank to my checking account.  So, now I'm left with some major issues and no longer able to download anything.  Please note this as a potential bug in v3.3.1 and/or provide a way to resolve this within my current version.

Update: I did find a way to reconnect some of my accounts in a slow/less than ideal manner (still have two accounts within my bank that will not reconnect because Quicken is either not finding them or displaying them under a name that is inconsistent with actual account).  To partially resolve I went to each accounts individual account's "settings" and selected the "Setup Transaction Download" option and followed the steps.  This allowed me to reconnect/reactivate 5 of my accounts successfully.  However, I did notice that at the end of the process, Quicken displayed the same name for multiple accounts even though I know this is not the case (seems to be a data display issue on the popup status dialog).  Still unable to connect 2 of my separate savings accounts and need help resolving.
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

After updating to v3.3.1 I am experiencing issues with the account downloads. This feature worked (at least connected to my accounts and downloaded transactions) prior to the update.  First, the software stopped downloading one of my accounts and listed it as an option to connect.  So I went through the interface to "Try to Connect" the account and that account was not listed as an option to connect to.  So after reading several other comments on similar issues I decided to deactivate downloads for all my accounts with this bank (Redstone Federal Credit Union) and attempt to reconnect (and link) them to my Quicken accounts.  Now the only account that will link is the Checking Account.  All the others are listed as accounts (except the first one mentioned above), but when I click the dropdown list to select Link... the only option is to link to the checking account.  So now in Quicken the only option I am given is to link all 8 of my accounts at this bank to my checking account.  So, now I'm left with some major issues and no longer able to download anything.  Please note this as a potential bug in v3.3.1 and/or provide a way to resolve this within my current version.

Update2: The things I tried in the prior update worked temporarily, but then the connection broke down and I can only connect to checking and credit card account.  All others either fail to be located by the Quicken interface or connect, but later drop off or disconnect.  I have attempted multiple scenarios and methods to clean up including Resetting Connected Services; disconnecting all accounts and trying to reconnect one-by-one.  All with no success.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

This may be a bit off topic, but I was hoping that the pencil/envelop icon issues might be resolved in this release. Any idea when?

To review the issues: 

1) If you have a manually entered transaction that never gets downloaded (e.g. a voided check), then the orange pencil never turns blue and therefore never can be cleared by marking the transaction as reviewed.

2) The blue envelop icons that result when a Direct Connect Bill Pay transaction is downloaded and matched do not disappear when the transaction is marked as reviewed.

[mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus]:  One of the problems with the orange pencil in the Status column is the interpretation of what it means.  As a long-time Quicken Premier user, I interpret it to mean that it is a transaction waiting for a matching download from a financial institution while others view it as a manually entered transaction.

Under Quicken Premier, the orange pencil is cleared whenever a matching transaction is downloaded from a financial institution and reviewed.  It is also cleared after you have reconciled the account.  Unfortunately, the Quicken for Mac reconciliation procedure does not clear the Status column when a transaction is reconciled.

A major problem involving the orange pencil icon occurs when you import a Quicken Premier account that was not configured for automatic transaction downloads into Quicken for Mac.  The orange pencil will be displayed in the Status column of every transaction even though the transaction has already been reconciled and the reconciled icon is displayed in the Cleared column.  If the imported transaction has already been reconciled, the Status column should be left blank or have a blue pencil displayed in the Status column indicating that the transaction needs to be reviewed for import errors.

If you edit an existing transaction to correct some information, Quicken for Mac will occasionally set the orange pencil in the Status column.  This will occur in Cash & Credit group accounts but will also occur in Investments group accounts.  In the latter, it will only occur with a "cash flow" transaction of type "Payment/Deposit".  At any rate, I haven't been able to deduce what triggers displaying the orange pencil.

I have transactions with the orange pencil set in the Status column from the late Fifties.  Generally, financial institutions do not support downloading transactions that that old.  Plus, the financial institution no longer exists.

UPDATE:  There is one other transaction in an Investments group account that will generally cause an orange pencil to be displayed in the Status column:  Changing an Investments:Dividend transaction to a Investments:Return of Capital transaction.  I have MLP investments that are initially reported as dividends.  I change the transaction to a return of capital after receiving a notification that they are, indeed, a return of capital.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

This may be a bit off topic, but I was hoping that the pencil/envelop icon issues might be resolved in this release. Any idea when?

To review the issues: 

1) If you have a manually entered transaction that never gets downloaded (e.g. a voided check), then the orange pencil never turns blue and therefore never can be cleared by marking the transaction as reviewed.

2) The blue envelop icons that result when a Direct Connect Bill Pay transaction is downloaded and matched do not disappear when the transaction is marked as reviewed.

My opinion, there should be nothing showing in the status column after you mark it as reviewed.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

To review the issues: 

I agree !!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

To review the issues: 

I don't fully understand why there are two status columns:  Status and Cleared.  With a 64 bit word, one could create a wonderfully complex array of information about the state/status of the transaction and use bit masks and AND or OR functions to determine what icon should be displayed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2016 just  to get the 12 month budget feature.   It's disappointing you can not filter accounts in the budget   I do budgets by account.  Is that something you could add or change in near future?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2016 just  to get the 12 month budget feature.   It's disappointing you can not filter accounts in the budget   I do budgets by account.  Is that something you could add or change in near future?

The short answer is that we're looking at all the requests coming in from customers and prioritizing them.  It would be helpful to better understand the specifics of your use case so we can get a better understanding of the big picture vs a specific solution.  For example we have a developer who also runs a small business on the side.  She would like to have the account selection feature so she can budget for her business vs personal.  What is you story?

The longer answer is that we've changed the way we think about our releases and instead of trying to pull together a feature that has all functionality we think customers will need, we're shipping a core set of features and then letting customers tell us what they need that we didn't deliver.  This allows us to ship the feature in a shorter amount of time benefiting the vast majority of customers and then allowing us to react to customer demand and add only the features that bubble up to the top via support and the Quicken Mac community.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

Excited to have the 12 month budget feature back, but there are still some issues with the budget feature that need tweaking.  I will try to briefly explain below:
    1) There's no way to see payments for bills that are setup as transfers to another Quicken accounts (i.e., car loans, mortgage payments).  Even though these entries are tied to specific categories, my budget shows $0 actual cost for any of these type of transactions.  I realize this is because of the nature of the transfer transactions, but the budget features in v3.3.1 are not mature enough to handle this the way prior versions of Quicken did (been using Quicken Windows exclusively since 1992).
    2) The summary/rollup lines in the edit budget interface are not functioning properly or are including costs that do not exist.  After updating to v3.3.1 I looked at the edit feature and noticed that the rollup/summary category line was much higher than the sum of the categories under the corresponding heading.  The only way to resolve this was to enter $0 in the summary line and copy to all months.  This appears to have cleared out the erroneous data and caused the summary lines to recalculate as the sum of the subcategories.
    3) Why does the budget pull in some transactions from investment accounts into the budget.  I noticed several amounts in "uncategorized" and a few other areas that I did not recognize and upon drilling down into the data I see that the interface is also including transactions from the investment accounts.  The way this is setup, it doesn't make sense to pull in these transactions.
    4) In reference to #3, it would be nice to have the option to select which accounts you wanted to include in your budget interface.  Not all transactions in Quicken need to be included in the budget which is the current assumption made in the budgeting tool.  Please consider adding the option to select your accounts as well as the ability to control how transfers between accounts are handled as discussed in #1 above. 

Thank you for giving specific details.  Transfers aren't supported yet and we're investigating how we want to support it.  What would be helpful to know is whether or not we need to support both Transfers In and Transfer Out or can we just support one.  I think an easy solution would be to allow you to select a transfer and then we only account for one side of it to give a value vs 0.  

Selecting accounts is also being looked at it.  It would be good to better understand your particular story on why you want to select accounts.

#2 and #3 sound like bugs.  Someone on our team will reach out to you to get more details.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

To review the issues: 

Jeff and I have been discussing this but he hasn't had time to post here yet.  He'll post shortly.  The bottom line is we want to allow you to be able to clear the pencils no matter what.  In the situations where you can't clear them...that's a bug that we need to fix.  Jeff still likes the idea of keeping the pencil icon separate from the reconcile but allow one to have reconcile control both if they want.  He'll update his thoughts here shortly but has been swamped lately.  I just wanted to let you know he's been reading your comments and giving it a lot of thought and will reply with a proposal as soon as he has a spare moment.  Thanks.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

Excited to have the 12 month budget feature back, but there are still some issues with the budget feature that need tweaking.  I will try to briefly explain below:
    1) There's no way to see payments for bills that are setup as transfers to another Quicken accounts (i.e., car loans, mortgage payments).  Even though these entries are tied to specific categories, my budget shows $0 actual cost for any of these type of transactions.  I realize this is because of the nature of the transfer transactions, but the budget features in v3.3.1 are not mature enough to handle this the way prior versions of Quicken did (been using Quicken Windows exclusively since 1992).
    2) The summary/rollup lines in the edit budget interface are not functioning properly or are including costs that do not exist.  After updating to v3.3.1 I looked at the edit feature and noticed that the rollup/summary category line was much higher than the sum of the categories under the corresponding heading.  The only way to resolve this was to enter $0 in the summary line and copy to all months.  This appears to have cleared out the erroneous data and caused the summary lines to recalculate as the sum of the subcategories.
    3) Why does the budget pull in some transactions from investment accounts into the budget.  I noticed several amounts in "uncategorized" and a few other areas that I did not recognize and upon drilling down into the data I see that the interface is also including transactions from the investment accounts.  The way this is setup, it doesn't make sense to pull in these transactions.
    4) In reference to #3, it would be nice to have the option to select which accounts you wanted to include in your budget interface.  Not all transactions in Quicken need to be included in the budget which is the current assumption made in the budgeting tool.  Please consider adding the option to select your accounts as well as the ability to control how transfers between accounts are handled as discussed in #1 above. 

In thinking about why one would want to create a budget, out flows from cash and credit accounts and inflows from income sources that go into cash accounts seems like a logical place to start. In making a mortgage payment part goes to interest and part goes to principal. If one has a mortgage liability account, the principal payment would be a transfer to the liability account, reducing the total liability. However, one would "budget" the total mortgage payment. As is it stands now, only the interest portion shows up in the budget. The same would go for making an IRA or 401K contribution. The same would go for making a home improvement expense that would get added to an asset account for the home. In all of these instances, and probably more, one would like to budget the total expenditures from cash accounts even though some of the expenditures would actually transfer to other accounts within Quicken. It is interesting to note that IRA withdrawals do show up in the budget even though they are transferred from a securities account to a cash account.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

To review the issues: 

I vote for keeping the status icons separate and keeping a way to (always) be able to clear the status icon independent of reconcile.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

To review the issues: 

Agree with RickO
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options

Marcus, one quick comment on your description of the release/feedback/iterate model you describe. You get the feedback from customers who are stumped/confused/frustrated and either contact Quicken Support or post here on QLC. But we also know that many customers do not take time to post their frustrations/gripes/needs online or via waiting for sometimes-lengthy support sessions -- and I'm not sure you're doing anything to proactively solicit feedback/requests from the entire customer base. (Depending which source you look at, you can find that "for every customer complaint there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent" or "96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, however 91% of those will simply leave and never come back" or "A typical business hears from 4% of it's dissatisfied customers", etc., etc.)

As a result, you are likely prioritizing things that a small subset of users are most vocal about, but not hearing from the larger majority of users who don't contact Support or post here. I'd therefore suggest that it would be critical for you to do periodic short surveys to the entire user base (from registrations or even better, in-app notices), perhaps asking questions on a few specific things you're considering AND asking the open-ended question about what features customers miss/want/need to be happy with the product. If you rely on data from only the people who reach out to Quicken to comment, you're missing critical broad input you need to follow this development approach.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

[mention://2014433 @Jim]: exactly right -- good explanation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

@Jim Agree!  You've captured a good scenario (mortgage) that precisely describes one of my issues.  Same holds for car payments, etc.  As it stands now I put the full amount into the budget so I can plan to $0 then I have to make sure I manually subtract all the items that aren't showing as expenses from the bottom line to see where I am (not very efficient).
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

@Jim:  I will have to disagree with your comment about IRA withdrawals.  I just ran a test to see whether or not Quicken's Budget feature would be of use to me.  I have an "IRA Distribution" category that is linked to form 1099-R.  I specify this category on all my IRA withdrawal transactions.  None of them appeared in the Budget that was generated, automatically, by Quicken.

After manually selecting the "IRA Distribution" category, Quicken added it to the Budget but would not create any default budget values for it or any of the withdrawals in my database.  I edited the Budget and entered a budget value for a month in which a withdrawal occurred.  The budgeted amount did display in the month but not the withdrawal.

While I intend to migrate to Mac version of Quicken 2016, I still must use Quicken Premier 2016 as my primary Quicken software.  My Quicken Premier data still doesn't import accurately and correctly into Quicken.  One problem involves IRA withdrawals, due to overloading of the Category field in Quicken Premier, you must specify the Category for a withdrawal in the investment account.  The gross amount of the IRA withdrawal is transferred to a checking or saving account where you create a split transaction to record any taxes that were withheld.

Quicken does import the IRA withdrawal transaction and enters the correct account in the Transfer field but changes the Category field from "IRA Distribution" to "Transfer".  This requires the user to find all of the withdrawal transactions and change the Category field to "IRA Distribution" so that it is picked up correctly in the Tax Schedule report.

The Budget report doesn't recognize the IRA withdrawal transaction because it seems to be using the same flawed routines used by the Category Summary report to select the transactions to be included in the budget.  The Category Summary report does not include any transaction in the report that has an account in the Transfer when the account has not been selected in the Category list although it does appear in an account for which you are generating a Category Summary report.  One would expect the transaction to appear in the "Money In" or "Money Out" section of the report.

The Quicken Budget report/tool appears to call the Category Summary report's transaction selection logic with a list of accounts that explicitly excludes all investment accounts in the Retirement group.  Users that have imported their data from any Quicken for Windows or older Quicken for Mac products that overloaded the use of the Category field will not have their IRA withdrawals recognized.

There is a caveat to the last statement.  If you didn't attempt to show the flow of monies between accounts and only recorded a withdrawal in your retirement account and manually entered a deposit of the same amount in your checking or saving account.  Budget should pick up your "IRA Distribution" transactions and include them in the budget.
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

[mention://92472 @Quicken Marcus] RE: Selecting Accounts in Budget - There are a number of reasons one would want to select specific accounts to include in their budget.  In my case, I budget my entire primary financial picture - accounts that represent my day-to-day expenditures/events.  The accounts I include in my budget are my checking, primary savings, mortgage, car loan, and a credit card.  I have other accounts that have related transactions (such as interest earned) that I do not factor into my budget.  For example, I have a 6 month contingency fund in a money market account that is not touched.  Obviously this account has interest earned transactions, but I do not want/need to include those as income in my budget.  Also, if I were to have to take money out of that account I would handle those transactions as exceptions and manage in a separate budget scenario.  Therefore, it would be helpful to specify exactly which accounts I want to include in my budget.  Hope that helps explain my use case a little better.

Another case is that I also have a savings account of my daughters within my file.  I do not budget her money within my budget and need to exclude those transactions from my budget.

In reference to my previous comment - I provided a specific example as well.  I do not want my IRA account transactions to be displayed in my budget as expenses.  While those are real transactions, they’re not transactions that affect my bank accounts and the funds I’m budgeting so I would like to exclude that account as another example.
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

Continuing to try to resolve this issue with no luck.  Account add interface does not return all my accounts and the ones it does return are old names (not the current account names).  If I select any of these, they are later shown as Dead accounts.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

IF it works well in QWin, why try to re-invent it for QMac? Unless there is fundamentally something wrong or ineffective in its implementation. This would then keep it consistent across platforms.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

Thanks for all the great feedback.  I'm NOT looking for ways to be different from Win.  I'm looking for ways to support the capabilities a large majority of customers need in hopefully a simpler way that we can deliver quicker.  There's been a lot added to the Windows product over 30 years some of which may or may not make sense any more so I think it's good to reexamine things.  Anyway, all of the detail above is great.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Tomi said:

Thx for clarifying...it always is good to take the opportunity to re-assess. No harm in that. Just as long as the concept "less is more" does not translate into "less is less". But I understand the opportunity.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.