There should be a way to increase the number of files shown in the recent file list

Harold-Jr
Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Product Enhancements
Under files, there is a list limited to 4 of recent files.  A search reveals that this is hard coded, but was also a request made 6 years ago and repeated 5 years ago.  It seems like a simple request and should be under preferences.
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

I too would like to see the Most Recently Used (MRU) list expanded.

I find it helpful when I do testing of various features because I will access a number of data files to work with..

However, I suspect that the vast majority of users rarely use more than two data files and certainly not more than four.

What that means is that I suspect that Quicken gets so few requests for this idea that it never makes it to the 'To Be Implemented' list and I don't expect that to change.

To everyone that would like this, make sure to VOTE on this post. Just adding a comment is not enough. You need to click on the vote button to register your vote (And this goes for all ideas, not just this one).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I've been hoping for this feature for a LONG time!  Seems simple enough to extend an array and write a few more lines in the file menu module...
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Right click on the Quicken icon in the taskbar to get a some extensive list of recent files:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Howard24
    Howard24 Member ✭✭
    Here here. This has been on my wish list for 5 years. PLEASE MAKE THE MRU LIST LONGER THAN 4. Or, at least make it a variable in QUSER.INI
  • It would be nice to have more from the pull down menu. I just got through checking the preferences to see if I could configure the number of files shown. This is common in other programs, it would be nice here. I have 5 that I use, so just out of range of the hardcoded 4 files.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CarlC said:
    It would be nice to have more from the pull down menu. I just got through checking the preferences to see if I could configure the number of files shown. This is common in other programs, it would be nice here. I have 5 that I use, so just out of range of the hardcoded 4 files.

Thanks for asking.
    As a workaround, have you seen and tried the solution posted by @splasher above?
    After right-clicking the icon for the first time, it might take a few seconds for the Recent list to popup.
  • Mike Craig
    Mike Craig Member ✭✭
    I too want the list of previous files to be longer. The workaround does not work for me. Why? Don't know but it does not show an increased number of files.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too want the list of previous files to be longer. The workaround does not work for me. Why? Don't know but it does not show an increased number of files.
    Have you pinned Quicken to the Windows taskbar? When I right-click it, I get practically every Quicken-related file I've ever used.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you pinned Quicken to the Windows taskbar? When I right-click it, I get practically every Quicken-related file I've ever used.

I sounds like to me that @Mike Craig didn't understand the workaround.
    It isn't to expand the list in Quicken, it is to look at the recently used files in the Windows taskbar (after you pin Quicken to the taskbar).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still like to see this very, very old suggestion implemented.

A numeric choice under Preferences > Setup would be great, but even editing QUSER.INI to add a maximum RecentFiles length would be fine.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, I would also like to see an increase to the maximum number of files retained at the bottom of the File Menu.
    I know there's an under the covers method to delete unused / unwanted file entries, but if an [X] or [Del] button could be added at the end of each individual file name entry (all except entry #1), with a prompt to either delete menu entry only or delete both file and menu entry … now that, IMHO, would be even more helpful

• Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭

Yes, and I like UKR's idea of deleting on the fly.

• Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭

PS It's been 8 years since I suggested this.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta

I would like to see the Most Recently Used (MRU) list expanded to at least 8 or maybe unlimited?

When I have to work on multiple sets of finances, like for family, I have to jump around to several different files.

Having the list is faster and easier.

Plus, this is a standard in Microsoft Office applications.

This discussion has been closed.