How to delete price history on certain days or period across all the investment effectively ?

Victor
Victor Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I  found out I have too much price history record on every of my stock & investment. How can I delete them in an effective manner so I can reduce the file size (73MB). I only need to keep record for  the  last day of month  in  all the price history and not the price on every single day.    When review old record or history, an monthly, quarterly  total would be good enough and not to the exact price on everything on that day! . 

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Prices/quotes are but a trivial amount of size in your QDF ... and there's no easy way to bulk delete them.

We could help you more if you told us what Q product you're running, what product year and what country.

Also, please do HELP and hold down the CTRL key while you click About Quicken.  Take a snapshot of the resulting statistics dialog, and post it here using the CAMERA (not movie camera) icon below.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Victor
    Victor Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    imageSince upgraded  from Q2013 Win  to Q2016, my file size has grown from 40MB to now 75MB.  It is running  a bit slow.  How can I reduce the file size  if I still want to keep my record (at least monthly record) and be able to pull the  account balance history and to make like year to year comparison from 2000 to now.
    Another  question is if I make a report of assets and everything, is it saved as  a complete report as separate data.    This report would  Not  changed  if I delete the price history or  do  File Operation to save only  the last few years of data to the new file.  The report will stay intact ?  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Victor said:

imageSince upgraded  from Q2013 Win  to Q2016, my file size has grown from 40MB to now 75MB.  It is running  a bit slow.  How can I reduce the file size  if I still want to keep my record (at least monthly record) and be able to pull the  account balance history and to make like year to year comparison from 2000 to now.
    Another  question is if I make a report of assets and everything, is it saved as  a complete report as separate data.    This report would  Not  changed  if I delete the price history or  do  File Operation to save only  the last few years of data to the new file.  The report will stay intact ?  

The only number there that looks ridiculously large, at least compared to my Quicken file where the "Size of QDF file" is almost twice as large as yours, is the "Memorized" payee line.  Go to Preferences > Data entry and Quickfill > tick the box next to "Remove memorized payees not used in the last X months" and change "X" to a small number, like maybe 8 or 9.  That should reduce the size of the memorized payees considerably and might speed things up.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Victor said:

Another  question is if I make a report of assets and everything, is it
    saved as  a complete report as separate data.    This report would  Not
     changed  if I delete the price history or  do  File Operation to save
    only  the last few years of data to the new file.  The report will stay
    intact ? 
    When a report is saved in Quicken, it is the format and filters set for that report that are saved, not the data content.  If you want to save it to see the exact same thing at a later date, you need to save the "printed" output of the report.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    By way of reference, here's my Q statistics ... and Q FLIES!

Note that "Scheduled Transactions" don't have to be "Memorized Payees" also.  And the only regular payee that's not covered in my 18 is my annual Real Estate tax payment ... a Scheduled transaction. 

My payee trim list is set to 4 months.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Note that "Scheduled Transactions" don't have to be "Memorized Payees" also.  And the only regular payee that's not covered in my 18 is my annual Real Estate tax payment ... a Scheduled transaction. 

Only 11 thousand transactions?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    If one wanted to reduce the security prices stored they could delete their prices history and Quicken would rebuild it with just 5 years of quotes.  What's more as you go back in time they save less data.  Like I believe it is something like daily for a month, weekly for a year or two, and past that monthly.

But the impact on the size of your data file will be very small and it will not affect performance at all.
    For a comparison my .QPH file that holds the quotes is about 11MB with a .QDF that is 102MB.
    7-Zip can be used to see the internal files (but not to change anything)

That really large amount of memorized payee is definitely something that slows Quicken down.
    Anything approaching 1000 is going to be bad.

If you still want to prune the prices you will find the option to rebuild the price history in Validate & Repair.

And if you want to delete just certain price history you can do it on a security by security basis.
    Ctrl+Y -> click on security link/name -> Update -> Edit price history
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    BTW you mention upgrading from Quicken 2013 to Quicken 2016.
    If I remember correct in either Quicken 2014 or 2015 the changed the way they select payees and categories.  As in a new GUI dialog for the popup.  And when they did that the performance of looking up the memorized payee/categories went down a lot.

So people with a lot of memorized payees or categories (as in over a thousand) really notice a performance hit.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

I started a new file when I got divorced in 2012.  It was easier than trying to weed out the info pertaining to the ex.
    THEN, early this year I added my new wife's accounts into my account (married 12/18/17).  Didn't try to bring over her transactions ... just the accounts.
    Her OLD transactions are still in her data file.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    QPW said:

If one wanted to reduce the security prices stored they could delete their prices history and Quicken would rebuild it with just 5 years of quotes.  What's more as you go back in time they save less data.  Like I believe it is something like daily for a month, weekly for a year or two, and past that monthly.

But the impact on the size of your data file will be very small and it will not affect performance at all.
    For a comparison my .QPH file that holds the quotes is about 11MB with a .QDF that is 102MB.

That really large amount of memorized payee is definitely something that slows Quicken down.

If you still want to prune the prices you will find the option to rebuild the price history in Validate & Repair.

And if you want to delete just certain price history you can do it on a security by security basis.

Just to clarify and emphasize, if you delete the price history via Quicken and rebuild via Quicken, you will lose the data older than 5-years. There are ways to rebuild, but they are cumbersome. I would not take that approach if I wanted to keep even part of that older data.

I agree with the others that the size of the price history data has not impacted my program reponciveness and speed.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    QPW said:

To be more accurate, when you rebuild the price history data, Quicken will download the last 5 years of data BUT it will reconstruct the price history to include prices entered for any transactions that have prices recorded. So it is not strictly the last 5 years of data. But then again, if you still want to maintain some history beyond 5 yrs that is not associated to transactions, deleting all and rebuilding may not be the optimal choice.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    QPW said:

You would have to do something to trigger recalculation of price data from transactions, i.e., data validation recalculate lots.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.