Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Comments

• M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

@RickO:  Did you notice that it is more difficult to view and edit "Bill and Income" transactions in Quicken 2018.

The only scheduled transactions I have are direct deposits of retirement benefits from Social Security and former employers.  I clicked on "Bills and Income".  Oops, none of my scheduled deposits were listed.

I had to click on the Income button to see the scheduled deposits.  All that is displayed is the net amount of the next deposit.  You are not actually allowed to view or edit any of the scheduled transactions in this window.

You have to click on the Projected Balances button to get to a page where you can actually alter the scheduled transactions.  Of course, there are more changes and you now have to select the proper class of accounts to display the future scheduled transactions that you want to change.

Each year in late November and early December, I have to change the Social Security benefit amount and Medicare premium amount for my wife and myself.  I'm not sure why it was necessary to create a more convoluted approach for the handling of scheduled direct deposits.

I just noticed under Recently Deposited, Quicken managed to report the correct account for the deposit but managed to incorrectly identify the type of account.  All my direct deposits go to a Savings account.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017

@Quicken Jeff I still think there are use cases where it is not a good idea to auto-update on first launch. For example, users who save older versions but do not launch them right away, that monitor for bugs, awaiting a more stable version...Basically, you cannot account for all possible scenarios with an automatic update on first launch.

I still think it would be much more respectful to simply present a dialogue box notifying a user that there is an update even on first launch and let the user decide (you can still urge them to do so).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

@Quicken Marcus can you please answer the following (I think it got buried above):

QM2018 lists the ability to "Transfer funds between accounts of different currencies"...so if "The problem is that Quicken Mac fundamentally in its core doesn't support linked transfers between accounts of different currencies" how is this accomplished in QM2018?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

Thanks, RickO.. I feared the worst and you have confirmed it.    I was updating my Investment accounts manually in 2018 adding transactions from the beginning to replace the placeholders I had used initially.  I truly wish Quicken would fix the export feature to include exporting of Investment data.  Seems like a pretty simple fix.  I guess I will leave the placeholders and forget about relying on any investment reporting features. 
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

@M C Crockett.. I agree it is more difficult to get to some of the existing scheduled transactions as well as create a new one... more steps

I did see in another post that quicken Jeff said they are working on the workflow for this feature.. Maybe they will improve it soon...
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017

M C Crockett ... yes, it does seem awkward. For now, I'm just using the Projected Balances tab which works like the old Bills section. Actually, I pretty much never use that anyway since I show the next upcoming scheduled transaction in all of the regular registers. 

I did set up on e-Bill as a test (for my electric utility). Waiting until my next bill in 23 days to see how it works. Previously, I had a scheduled transaction with a zero amount which I would have to fill in when I got the billing notice from the utility. It will be nice if Quicken goes and gets the bill and fills this in automatically.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

RickO I setup one e-Bill for my gas & electric as well. I created it using the new dialog and ended up with two schedule transactions. They both show as an e-Bill..I just deleted the old scheduled transaction. Later I saw I should have clicked on the the three dots for my original scheduled transaction and added the Bill Pay Information there so I would not have two scheduled transactions for gas & electric.

It would have been better when using the dialog to at least to ask if I wanted to add bill pay info to an existing schedule with same payee name.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

@M C Crocket  I agree it is a bit confusing and some see the Bills & Income as confusing in its purpose.  I too basically ignore the income and bills section and modify any scheduled transaction in the register.  For SS I just wait until the December transactions take place then modify SS for the following year.  
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

Yeah, this whole new Bills section is not very intuitive IMO.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

One more thing (minor issue because I only have one e-Bill)) on the e-Bill transaction created by creating an e-Bill... I tried to changed the transaction with "To Send" so when the pdf was received and the amount filled in (assumption on my part, I will see what happens when the the PDF arrives) since it is an online payee I wanted it to be sent with the next OSU. However,  you can't save a transaction with a zero amount and mark it "To Send". Also, if I change the amount to something greater than zero not sure if this would be replaced with the amount from the PDF?
  • bfrank
    bfrank Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

• What bills, if any, are downloaded as PDFs? 
    • How do I see the PDF bills?
    • Is there any way to download past bills?
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • How often does Quicken check to see if there is a new bill waiting? 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    Thanks for answering those questions....I think the documentation for Bill Pay and eBills needs to be updated to make it easier to setup and use.

That being said, I have setup Bill Pay and added a couple of eBills but I do not see any "Pay" buttons I can click.  Is the Unified Quicken Bill Center that allows you to Pay bills directly from the Bill Center exclusive to the Windows version?  If so, will it be coming to the Mac version.  That is an important feature!

Thanks in advance!
  • RickO
    edited October 2017

They really need to create a tutorial for the whole Bills & Income and e-Bill area. As far as I can find, there's nothing on it in the built-in help.
  • bfrank
    bfrank Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

• What bills, if any, are downloaded as PDFs? 
    • How do I see the PDF bills?
    • Is there any way to download past bills?
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • How often does Quicken check to see if there is a new bill waiting? 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    Quicken Jeff wrote....The ebill feature gives you the amount due (and min amount due for credit cards) and due date.

Is that a Windows only feature....my eBills have the amount due but not the min amount due or due date automatically pulled in.   The Due Date it uses is based on the payment date I enter.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    I've had problems with investments taking forever to load, in the range of 10-15 seconds.

I just upgraded to 5.2.2 this morning and investments are still painfully slow!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    The issue with investments loading slow is due to the graph which takes awhile, this is a known problem , until it is resolved by Quicken you can choose to hide the graph which can be done by dragging the lower graph line to the top
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

The issue with investments loading slow is due to the graph which takes awhile, this is a known problem , until it is resolved by Quicken you can choose to hide the graph which can be done by dragging the lower graph line to the top

While this does speed it up, it does take away from how I like to see data, I'm a picture person.  I hope they fix this ASAP
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

I get your meaning, in the meantime you can report the problem..Go to Help>report a problem. Th more folks who comment the quicker it may be dealt with. In addition to slowing things down the graph occupies way to much real estate in the PV. Would be nice to make a permanent adjustment that stick when you return to the particular account
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about the problem reporting tool inside Quicken
  • bfrank
    bfrank Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Quicken Jeff wrote....
    The ebill feature gives you the amount due (and min amount due for credit cards) and due date. If you use bill pay (your bank's bill pay via Direct Connect or Quicken Bill Pay--now included for free with Premiere) you can pay the bill directly from the Bills Dashboard.

So assuming you have BIll Pay setup and have added ebills on your dashboard a workflow might be:
    1. Open Quicken and click sync/update to download stuff and get latest bills
    2. View Bill dashboard to see what's due and amount due
    3.  Click "pay" button for the bill you want to pay

Question for Quicken Jeff or Marcus:

Having setup Bill Pay and added a couple of eBills I do not see any "pay" buttons I can click.  Is the Unified Quicken Bill Center that allows you to Pay bills directly from the Bill Center exclusive to the Windows version?  If so, will it be coming soon to the Mac version?  It would make paying bills much easier!

Also....my eBills have the amount due but not the min amount due or due date automatically pulled in.   The Due Date it uses is based on the payment date I enter.  Is that also a Windows only feature?
  • Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

No Code, still.  [I got the CD of Quicken today or Thursday, 2 November.  I thought that this would Fix it.  But Alas.  :-( ]  What else can I do, please?  Thank you.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

See this:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-11-1-17-members-who-purchase-the-2018-releas...
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    bigevil said:

how does the dropbox backup work? image

Is it a permanent 5GB?
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?

Looks like Amazon has the best price now...(Deluxe) $76.20 for 27 months, 20 GB of Dropbox and Priority Tech support. 
    • Amazon Exclusive - 3 extra months (2 years + 3 extra months!)
    • Amazon Exclusive - Plus an extra 15 GB of online backup with Dropbox for a total of 20 GB!
    • Amazon Exclusive - Plus priority access to customer support
  • RickO
    edited November 2017
    bigevil said:

I don't know. But the way it's implemented, as a coupon you apply to your Dropbox account, I would have a hard time seeing how they would know to take it back when your subscription expires.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?

Staples is $65 for 2 years for Deluxe right now. That works out to a little less per month, but no priority support and no 15GB dropbox. 
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    bigevil said:

Thanks..that's what I was thinking too, but I thought I would check.  Amazon is offering an additional 15 GB, bringing the total to 20GB.
  • vickylamson90
    vickylamson90 Member
    edited November 2017

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

I just purchased the upgrade Qkn for Mac 2018. After install it has wildly inaccurate numbers for my IRA accounts.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

There is no way to try to diagnose your problems or offer suggestions without knowing more specifics, including what version of Quicken you were using previously. If you do want to help, I suggest you start a new question with as much specific information as possible; this thread is a jumbled mess.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

fillingin4merlin ... Check the account registers for placeholder transactions. These are grayed out transaction at the start of the register with the word "placeholder" in the memo. You may be able to correct the account values by deleting some or all of these.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

Along similar lines as for a simple but important fix.  In the portfolio view it does not appear to be possible to resize the market value and cost column widths and have that value be sticky.   I am lucky enough to have a portfolio that does not fit the dollar amount into the width provided and it is obnoxious that I have to resize the column every time I launch the app and go to the investment window.  It was also be nice to have the adjustment made to the size of the graph at the top of the page be sticky as well - frankly the graph occupies way too much real estate - signficantly more than the previous version did.   Can you please fix these minor issues as it will dramatically improve the usability of this feature?
This discussion has been closed.