Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's not that there is a different rate, it's that the rate is not persisted once calculated. So $1,000 becomes £730 and while they are linked, the exchange rate of 0.73 is not stored.

On the Mac side, the posting relies on the rate being available at the time of posting (including when migrating). 

Incidentally, even in Quicken Mac 2018, the system does not maintain the link between the postings. So after posting, if you delete once side, the other remains. So it's not really fully supported either way, but it's better than nothing.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying...So the answer is either like Marcus is suggesting or for the conversion to calculate and populate the rate based on the data. Not sure why this was not factored in one way or the other as part of the design and the converter updated respectively, knowing that users will be converting...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

@DrGForce: Office Depot sells Q18 downloads
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

RCinNJ... I'm still in setup mode and according to Marcus' post above, internet connection is required in that circumstance. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

@brucel: I performed your specific user test; 4 seconds of beachball, 1535 transactions
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

In Quicken Mac 2018 Premier, I'm looking at the "All Transactions" view. In the upper right-hand corner of the window, it's now showing "Today's Balance" where in Quicken Mac 2017, it used to show Total Net Worth. Is this a bug or the intended function? If intended, it's not clear to me what this "Today's Balance" is showing? To me, Total Net Worth is a more intuitive number to show in the All Transactions view. -- NORMAL --

@DrGForce: You're right; I'm not going to ask how long it must have taken you to figure that out.

As opaque, you can toggle Today's Balance with Projected Balance, but it's not clear what time period is being projected. 
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.

Since I'm still using Q2007. None of the software I'm currently using are on subscriptions. Why would you paid now, to be later locked out of your data or files if you stop paying? Upgrading should be a choice, depending on if you need the new features. I have purchased Q2015 & Q2017 and returned both, as did not do anything better than Q2007.
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

In Quicken Mac 2018 Premier, I'm looking at the "All Transactions" view. In the upper right-hand corner of the window, it's now showing "Today's Balance" where in Quicken Mac 2017, it used to show Total Net Worth. Is this a bug or the intended function? If intended, it's not clear to me what this "Today's Balance" is showing? To me, Total Net Worth is a more intuitive number to show in the All Transactions view. -- NORMAL --

@RickO: the Today's Balance amount does change when different account groups are filtered. 
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

@smayer97... I have them both on one computer and they run simultaneously. QM2017 is named "Quicken 2017". QM2018 is named "Quicken". Due to the latter, I think we have seen the end of being able to run last year's and this year's programs at the same time. Looks like all upgrades will be named "Quicken" and thus you won't be able to run multiple versions at the same time.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.

Only data used with the Starter version becomes read=only when your subscription expires. With all other versions you can continue to use in manual mode after expiration.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

@Marcus: I think it would be most handy to have clearly labeled total amounts by group, including net worth, which are selectable from a drop-down menu combined with the ability to hide the sidebar.

Since QM18's investments screen now permits many more columns to be shown, having more real estate is necessary, so being able to hide the sidebar (rather than minimize it to illegibility) would be very useful -- especially on a MacBook.

My .02
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

that would be an unfortunate change...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Is the Quicken Cloud with Quicken Mac 2017 the same as the Dropbox?  Can I still use the Quicken Cloud without setting up a Dropbox account?
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

you can toggle Today's Balance with Projected Balance, but it's not clear what time period is being projected. 
    At least in QM2017, the timeframe being projected is the last balance in the (or total of the) register(s). And that depends on how many future transactions to display in each register.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jimkk89 said:

Is the Quicken Cloud with Quicken Mac 2017 the same as the Dropbox?  Can I still use the Quicken Cloud without setting up a Dropbox account?

Dropbox is for storage...the idea being for you to be able to store backups online.

Quicken Cloud is strictly for syncing with Quicken Mobile and for use of other online functionality like Quicken Connect, etc. It is not a backup feature.

They are both independent of each. And yes, you can use Quicken without Dropbox.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

I was curious if they were going to get rid of the "years" now that they'll have people on different subscription cycles. Finding out that QM2018 runs as "Quicken" without the year confirmed it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.
    • What bills, if any, are downloaded as PDFs? 
    • How do I see the PDF bills?
    • Is there any way to download past bills?
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • How often does Quicken check to see if there is a new bill waiting? 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

@smayer97: Marcus was saying there's not currently an upgrade path from a Deluxe subscription to a Premier subscription int he middle of your subscription term, but was saying that a call to support might be able to get it done. (My guess is they'd cancel the existing subscription at a pro-rated cost and then sell you a new one.)

@RickO: As for being able to run multiple versions of the Quicken app in the future, I'm not sure you can't; you can rename the app or put it in a different location than the Applications folder. You'd have to be careful to keep your data files named or located differently, to make sure to keep them separate. The only possible concern I see would be the support files that Quicken creates (like fidir.txt), and whether you could keep different folders of them. I guess the other question will revolve around using two different versions of Quicken, with different data files, and sharing one Quicken ID (since the subscription is tied to the Quicken ID).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

Our goal is to get to parity with Quicken Windows investments this year. 
    Seriously? Uh, great. That'd be amazing. Pretty tall order.
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

Our goal is to get to parity with Quicken Windows investments this year. 
    Seriously? Uh, great. That'd be amazing. Pretty tall order.
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options

@smayer97: You can run them side by side; at least, I can.
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

Can confirm what Diane Farrar and jiveturkey are reporting. It's annoying.
    +1 for Amount Invested and Dividend Yield
  • mistertheplague
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

Can confirm what Diane Farrar and jiveturkey are reporting. It's annoying.
    +1 for Amount Invested and Dividend Yield
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

@Zoolook, I was responding there to @Jose who was criticizing the testing and quality control. What I was saying was only that multi-currency support has never been a part of this new generation Mac product -- it wasn't a bug that skipped through testing, it simply hasn't been built yet. (There is only rudimentary support for setting an account to show a different currency, but it's only cosmetic and a small piece of real multi-currency support in Quicken Mac.)

I think what Marcus was calling a bug is what happens to multi-currency transfer transactions if you try to important a Windows file; data gets lost/changed because the Mac product hasn't yet been built to support what has long been allowed in Windows files. The long-term fix is building in multi-currency support, including linked transactions with different currencies and values on each side of the transfer; that's what he's saying will happen eventually but not overnight. (@Scud: he's just saying "not overnight" measured from today forward, not from three years ago.) But he was also suggesting they might be able to do a shorter-term fix for importing from Windows by unlinking the two sides of a transfer transaction and turning them into two separate transactions.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs... The problem with keeping an old version is that QM (2018) is now automatically updating every time you open it, without any means to cancel. So any copy of an older version that you stashed somewhere, would be updated as soon as you launch it. You might be able to turn off your internet connection to prevent it, but then you also could not do any downloads, quote retrievals, etc.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs Also note that even if you rename a duplicate of Quicken for Mac apparently you cannot run 2 copies of the same version...that was supposedly the case with QM2017 and older...so I would expect the same limitation with QM2018. The restriction is not due to the name of the app but probably because of some resource that the app is accessing and locking, like the preference file. This is third-hand info BTW...

• jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

@Mike: in the next year or so, what the new Quicken will do better than 2007 is... run. ;)  Seriously, though, what many of us longtime 2007 users are hoping for is a modern, supported version that runs on the current macOS which is roughly the equal of 2007. It doesn't need to do a lot better; if it did most of what 2007 did, I think all but a very small group of longtime Quicken Mac users would be quite happy. Going beyond 2007 eventually (to add some of the features that only existed in the Windows product, for instance) will be the icing on our cake.

Many 2007 users have moved to Quicken 2017 and found it usable enough for their needs. Some have not, and remain on Quicken 2007. Quicken 2018, as it stands today at launch, isn't a huge change over 2017. But the developers are promising a lot of enhancements over the course of the next year; we'll have to wait and see if they can deliver. So for you, I'd guess there is no reason to purchase a 2018 subscription now. Hopefully in 6-12 months, you'll find it has advanced enough to be able to replace 2007 for you, and your reason for upgrading will simply be that 2007 will stop working as macOS upgrades continue. And as @smayer97 has noted above, you'll have the same access to manually enter your data in Quicken 2018 as you do today in 2007, even if you don't renew your subscription after a year (as long as you don't purchase the Starter edition).
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RickO: Marcus says up where that auto-updates are not true, your experience notwithstanding, or if it's doing it, it's a bug. He said Sparkle updates should be the same as they've been in the past.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

That is true, you cannot run two copies of it simultaneously, even if you rename and move one of them. You will get a message that Quicken is already running. In the past you could edit the info.plist file to get around this. But now with code signing, that won't work. You could run it in a VM if you really needed both running at the same time.

But that's not really the issue. The way it's looking now, with the automatic updating, you can't even keep an older version to run non-simultaneously since it will update the moment you launch it.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ugh... auto-correct... That should have said "Marcus says elsewhere..."

As for multiple versions, I wasn't thinking you'd necessarily be able to run them simultaneously, but I thought you might be able to keep two different versions and use them independently. But I realize that support files other than the app  and data file might make that impossible.
This discussion has been closed.