Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Brucel, I thought you were talking about transaction downloads.  That part of the code hasn't changed between 2017 and 2018.  Investments, of course, has changed a great deal since it's a brand new portfolio view.  We've been testing with some pretty large investment files and haven't seen the beach ball but possibly there is a particular issue with the type of data or something that needs more optimization to make it better.  Thanks for your detailed explanation.  I'll pass your post to the developer to see if it triggers any thoughts on why it's so slow for you.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.  I think in the short term since this is an architectural limitation of Quicken Mac that the only way this would make any sense is if we make them 2 separate transactions.  No one wants their balances to be wrong.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

I have the same problem but can't get past the activation code.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

In Quicken Mac 2018 Premier, I'm looking at the "All Transactions" view. In the upper right-hand corner of the window, it's now showing "Today's Balance" where in Quicken Mac 2017, it used to show Total Net Worth. Is this a bug or the intended function? If intended, it's not clear to me what this "Today's Balance" is showing? To me, Total Net Worth is a more intuitive number to show in the All Transactions view. -- NORMAL --

We didn't change this behavior in Quicken Mac 2018 so it should be working exactly as it did in 2017.  You may be thinking of 2016 where I think it was net worth. 

In 2017 and 2018 net worth is now shown at the bottom of the sidebar.  We did this to align with Quicken Windows. 

2016 had net worth in the All Accounts view because we were sort of mirroring Mint then since we were all part of the same company and we were thinking that Quicken Mac might be an upgrade to Mint customers looking for more depth. 

In any case, I agree with you that the number we show now doesn't mean much and possibly we shouldn't even show a number.  Not sure.  What do others think? 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

When I started Quicken for Mac 2017 4.6.6 a little while ago I got the message to upgrade to Quicken 2018. I am not ready to update so I closed the upgrade dialog and plan on upgrading later. However, when I started quicken the next time I did not get the upgrade dialog and did not get it by selecting "Check for updates" from the menu.

How do I get the upgrade dialog back to be able to upgrade when ready? 

Not sure it will work that way but the other method if/when you are ready to pull the trigger is simply to go  online to Quicken.com., Amazon, etc and purchase the product
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    XCO said:

Hmmm. Quicken 2018 for Mac does not significantly improve reports?  Do we need to wait another year for such capabilities.  Or do you suggest we give up on the Mac and switch to the Windows version of Quicken????  Poor reporting capabilities remains a glaring omission in the Mac software.

I mentioned this above in the opening of the post that we made significant changes to reports under-the-hood by building out a true reports engine.  Our next step is to redo all our existing reports and have them be based on this new engine.  After this transition, we'll be able to build new reports.   We all agree that Quicken Mac's reporting needs improvement and the hope is to have a lot of it completed this year.  The good news about subscription is you can use both Quicken WIndow and Mac without paying more. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Jose, this might seem like semantics, but it's not so much a "bug" as it is a feature which doesn't exist. The modern Quicken Mac product (which launched with Quicken 2015) has not yet ever implemented multi-currency support; it only allowed you to set specific accounts to display a non-US currency, but it has not supported conversions between two currencies. So it's not surprising that the conversion from Windows would be problematic, for the reasons Marcus describes above. Fixing this "bug"/adding this functionality will require re-architecting how Mac transfer transactions work, something that's presumably on the future roadmap but not yet a part of the Quicken Mac product. (It's one of many features in Quicken Windows that just doesn't exist yet in Quicken Mac.)

I know this doesn't help anyone using multiple currencies in Windows and looking to move to Mac, I'm just trying to offer an explanation. And to clarify that this issue isn't a result of poor testing, lack of quality control, or accidental omission by the engineers -- it's simply a feature which does not yet exist in the still-evolving Mac product. (In my opinion, it's mostly a marketing problem: Quicken does themselves and their customers a great disservice by marketing Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows together as if they are the same, when they aren't.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    XCO said:

Hmmm. Quicken 2018 for Mac does not significantly improve reports?  Do we need to wait another year for such capabilities.  Or do you suggest we give up on the Mac and switch to the Windows version of Quicken????  Poor reporting capabilities remains a glaring omission in the Mac software.

Let me know when this is completed to its fullest.  Not upgrading until then.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

Thanks for reporting this issue.  We knew about it before we shipped but didn't fix it before the ship date.  We're working on it now and should have an update shortly.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

When I started Quicken for Mac 2017 4.6.6 a little while ago I got the message to upgrade to Quicken 2018. I am not ready to update so I closed the upgrade dialog and plan on upgrading later. However, when I started quicken the next time I did not get the upgrade dialog and did not get it by selecting "Check for updates" from the menu.

Never mind this post... I found that I can download Quicken 2018 from my quicken account when I am ready..

@Concordman.. Thanks for your input...
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

RickO, I think this thread has 2 different topics being covered so let me try to address both. 

1) Quicken Mac absolutely does NOT auto-update customers to a new version.  I have no idea why you had 5.2.1 on your computer if you never pushed the upgrade button but that is not something we designed in the product.  Now the Sparkle Update third-party software we use to update people has that option but we turn it off for Quicken.  It's possible that a preference got changed or something but this is NOT our intent.  If this is happening to other people, please report it here.

2) New users are required to update the software and they do need to be online so they can set up a Quicken ID and we can verify that they are a subscriber.  Once a customer is set up, they don't need to be online again unless they are trying to download transactions.  We do NOT require an online connection to use Quicken.  it's only required for setup.   If it's not working this way then that is a bug. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

Jonathan, sorry we've optimized going from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac but haven't done a very good job of making it easy to go the other way.  It hasn't really been an issue but I understand there are others like yourself that would like to give Windows a try.  Can I ask what is missing in Quicken Mac's investments that you're hoping to get in Windows?  Our goal is to get to parity with Quicken Windows investments this year.  We added explicit lot assignment and ROI, IRR to Mac in 2018 and will most likely continue to work through the feature list this year.
  • Bill17
    Bill17 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    XCO said:

"The good news about subscription is you can use both Quicken WIndow and Mac without paying more."

Does this mean that, if I upgrade my QM2017 to a QM2018 subscription, I can download QW2018 to a PC at no additional cost? I suppose doing that only makes sense if I have separate data files, since they're not interchangeable across platforms, but I can see where that would still be useful, such as home vs. business. (Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.) Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Actually, QM2018 lists the ability to "Transfer funds between accounts of different currencies"...so if "The problem is that Quicken Mac fundamentally in its core doesn't support linked transfers between accounts of different currencies" how is this accomplished in QM2018?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• DrGForce
    DrGForce Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DrGForce said:

In Quicken Mac 2018 Premier, I'm looking at the "All Transactions" view. In the upper right-hand corner of the window, it's now showing "Today's Balance" where in Quicken Mac 2017, it used to show Total Net Worth. Is this a bug or the intended function? If intended, it's not clear to me what this "Today's Balance" is showing? To me, Total Net Worth is a more intuitive number to show in the All Transactions view. -- NORMAL --

Quicken Mac 2017 4.6.6 is definitely showing net worth in the upper right corner of the window when viewing all transactions. I am also seeing it in the bottom of the sidebar as you describe in Quicken Mac 2017 and 2018. 

In any event I figured out what the number in upper right means when viewing All Accounts: it's the total amount of cash across all banking, savings, and investment accounts. -- NORMAL ---- NORMAL --
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm not familiar with how QWin handles conversion for a transfer but why would there be a different rate on each side of the same transaction? Not sure how that makes sense or would even work without causing some kind of discrepancy...

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

I have five columns for which Totals has a computed value. Cost basis or market value sorts place Totals at the top in descending sorts and at the bottom in ascending sorts but they are easy because all the values are positive and the Totals is always the largest. As best as I can make out, the problem is that the totals line is included in the sort so that for % gain/loss where it is a weighted average of the individual values it will appear in the middle of the list. In addition, if the "group by" selection creates more than one group, the sort seems to be by groups first and then within groups. For columns where there is no computed Totals, the totals position seems to be carried over from the previous sort(s). All things considered it would probably be better to have the Totals line anchored at the top of a descending sort and the bottom of an ascending sort.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

Unfortunately, at this time, I don't think you can upgrade easily.  I think you'll have to call Care to end your current subscription to purchase a new one.  This is not where we want to be long term it's just the short-term solution as we're still building up our subscription systems.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ANNOYING BUG Q2018 Mac (5.2.1). Since installing 2018 as an update to the latest version of Q17 for Mac, Q18 will NOT remember any password in its keychain. Everytime I run the program it asks for my Quicken ID, then wants a 6 digit 2FA code sent to my phone, then asks for my Q Billpay password, my bank password, and just for fun, insists on my Dropbox password to boot. I get this for a first time run, but everytime? This cannot be WAD. Otherwise it will drive me insane.
  • Paul Schwartz
    Paul Schwartz Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Would like some candid feedback on how usability / functionality compares with 2007 (outside of the compare chart Quicken posted).
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

We actually will only show it once.  If you dismiss it, it won't show again unless we send out another message.  You will also probably get an email with the same offer so check that.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    XCO said:

Yes...you can download both Windows and Mac for same subscription...And you are allowed to install on up to 3 computers in the same household, by using the same Quicken ID. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options

ANNOYING BUG Q2018 Mac (5.2.1). Since installing 2018 as an update to the latest version of Q17 for Mac, Q18 will NOT remember any password in its keychain. Everytime I run the program it asks for my Quicken ID, then wants a 6 digit 2FA code sent to my phone, then asks for my Q Billpay password, my bank password, and just for fun, insists on my Dropbox password to boot. I get this for a first time run, but everytime? This cannot be WAD. Otherwise it will drive me insane.

Sorry, this is happening to you.  Most people won't see this but, unfortunately, you got into a weird situation where Quicken Mac and the Quicken Cloud aren't talking to each other in a normal way.  Theoretically, when in this situation, you'll see the sign-in dialog for each service that requires the log-in but after going through this once, it shouldn't happen again.  Also, if someone else gets into this situation, wait for a few minutes before trying again and it should work fine.  This is only a temporary situation.  
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ?Customizable investment portfolio view with IRR & ROI?

So I bought the Deluxe subscription directly from Quicken, Inc. and @Marcus has mentioned IRR and ROI a couple times yet I can't find it in my version...  I figured it would be a column that you could add to the Portfolio view but I can't find it anywhere - thoughts?imageimageimage
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Quicken Marcus,

Just want to let you know this bug. Switching from Portfolio Value view to Performance view causes some holdings dispearred.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options

Actually, as I read through your comment more and consult with a developer, it sounds more like a keychain issue.  Did you uncheck the checkbox asking if you can save the passwords in the keychain?  If you do this, then none of your passwords will be saved.  If you didn't do this, the do you have a Mac policy that prohibits apps from writing to the keychain?  The bottom line is that all passwords are stored in the keychain so if something is blocking that, then this is the behavior you'll get.  Also, the Dropbox password isn't something we deal with in Quicken so that is definitely not a Quicken thing.  I think you have a Mac keychain issue.  Possibly try rebooting your Mac.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

Diane, the way columns work is that they are unique to the account so if you change them in the portfolio in one account and then go to transactions and back, it should be remembered.  However, if you change the portfolio view columns in one account, they won't be changed in any other accounts.  If they aren't being remembered in a single account, that's not something we've run into.  Is anyone else seeing this issue?

In regards to the types of columns, this is just what we started with.  Other than actual dollars invested and morning star ratings, what other columns are you interested in seeing? 
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

?Customizable investment portfolio view with IRR & ROI?

So I bought the Deluxe subscription directly from Quicken, Inc. and @Marcus has mentioned IRR and ROI a couple times yet I can't find it in my version...  I figured it would be a column that you could add to the Portfolio view but I can't find it anywhere - thoughts?imageimageimage

Never mind - I just found it under Portfolio Performance. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

I know of no other software package that forces updates on the user. 

Well, there is MS Windows 10, that is making them notorious for this.  :-\

This discussion has been closed.