Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

Marcus says up where that auto-updates are not true
    Nope, that's not what he said. He was saying that I would not have automatically been upGRADED from 2017 to 2018. He didn't address the small version upDATES.

Now, I'm willing to accept that it's possible (but not likely) that once I get fully registered, and 5.2.2 is released, that the program won't automatically to that update. But I'm not optimistic.

I'm very curious to hear what Marcus says when he understands I was talking about the 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 update, not the 2017 to 2018 upgrade.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RickO you do realize that there is a very simple work-around the auto-update problem, even if unsatisfactory....right after any update simply make a copy of the Quicken app so you always have the previous version handy. So it requires being a bit proactive...BUT hopefully what Marcus has stated will prove to be true.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs...

I think we're reading the post from Marcus differently. He said:
    1) Quicken Mac absolutely does NOT auto-update customers to a new version.  I have no idea why you had 5.2.1 on your computer if you never pushed the upgrade button but that is not something we designed in the product.
    I believe he thinks I was complaining that I got updated to a new version, i.e. from 4.x.x to 5.x.x. I believe him when he says that won't happen. However, the program did update from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 on it's own with no intervention possible from me. It is repeatable. The only question will be: does it stop doing that once it's registered with my Quicken ID.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RickO you do realize that there is a very simple work-around the auto-update problem, even if unsatisfactory....right after any update simply make a copy of the Quicken app so you always have the previous version handy. So it requires being a bit proactive...BUT hopefully what Marcus has stated will prove to be true.
    Nope, that doesn't work now, at least for a copy that's running but still in setup mode (not yet registered with Quicken ID). Here's what I did...

1) Compress my copy of 5.2.0.
    2) Launch 5.2.0
    3) Immediately on launch, it starts to update:

4) If you hit the Cancel button, you get this:

Only choice is to Update or Quit.

If you let it update, and then make a new copy of 5.2.0 by unzipping the copy your zipped, the new copy gets updated in the identical manner as soon as you launch it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RickO: Well, he does mix "upgrade" and "update" in the same paragraph, so I believe he is using them interchangeably. And his next sentence is what I keyed on:
    Now the Sparkle Update third-party software we use to update people has that option but we turn it off for Quicken.  It's possible that a preference got changed or something but this is NOT our intent.
    So I read that he's saying Sparkle updates should work the same as they have in the past: the user gets a notice, and it's up tot eh user to accept or defer.

(I don't think there's any way he would think you got auto-upgraded from Quicken 2017 to 2018, since it requires registration for a subscription, not just the click of one button.)

So are you saying you have 5.2 installed, but never registered, and clicking to launch it auto-updates to 5.2.1. Maybe if the software hasn't yet been registered, it automatically updates to the current version. This would be the same as users who buy the CD version (5.0) getting updated to the latest version before they can do anything.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Either way, registered or not, I still see this as a problem...hopefully Marcus will sort this out soon...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

I believe when he says "has that option", the "that" refers to the option to push update to a new version (eg. 4.x.x to 5.x.x) and that's what they had turned off. I don't necessarily read that he's saying it will work the same as in the past.

Yes, he could think I got auto updated from 4.x.x to 5.x.x. because you can install 5.x.x and even though you have no subscription, it still launches and runs but you get stuck at the setup/registration window.

Yes, Marcus may have been saying that the automatic unstoppable update only happens if you are still in setup/unregistered mode and that after you're registered, it works as before. I can believe that's what he was saying.

I still have my 5.2.0 copy zipped, so when I ever get this registered, I'll revert to 5.2.0 and launch and that will be the test of whether the update protocol has changed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Quicken Marcus Can you guys add an option to make uncleared transactions in bold?

Also, the print check feature needs to allow users to adjust each field separately.  Everything prints fine on my checks except for the memo field.  It's so low that it is unusable.  Ideally, users should be able to adjust the font as well.  I prefer having a bold font.

Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    An important issue is that the conversion feature not only needs to work correctly in this or in future versions, but the migration utility is an integral part of the system, and cannot be considered as a separate issue.  I, like many of us, have many years-worth of transaction on QW, and all those hundreds -or thousands- of transactions must be migrated from QW to QM perfectly to make QM a practical and feasible alternative to QW.
  • Vedanta
    Vedanta Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi Marcus. After upgrading to Quicken 2018 (Mac), I am having a weird situation. Of my two files, one downloads transactions from Santander perfectly, but the other doesn't and gives this error message (in all caps): AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (CP_SERVER:internal.api) while downloading from my other accounts from the same bank (same user name and password). What does this error message indicate? Thanks for helping me (and the rest of us) navigate our way through this upgrade.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Vedanta said:

Hi Marcus. After upgrading to Quicken 2018 (Mac), I am having a weird situation. Of my two files, one downloads transactions from Santander perfectly, but the other doesn't and gives this error message (in all caps): AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (CP_SERVER:internal.api) while downloading from my other accounts from the same bank (same user name and password). What does this error message indicate? Thanks for helping me (and the rest of us) navigate our way through this upgrade.

How are you connecting to your bank, Quicken Connect or Direct Connect ? Things are always smoother when you have access to direct connect
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eric said:

@Quicken Marcus Can you guys add an option to make uncleared transactions in bold?

Also, the print check feature needs to allow users to adjust each field separately.  Everything prints fine on my checks except for the memo field.  It's so low that it is unusable.  Ideally, users should be able to adjust the font as well.  I prefer having a bold font.

Thanks!

Eric, you posted the question about uncleared in bold earlier and Marcus responded. Why are you asking again?

Do you have the Clr column in view in your register? If so, the empty checkbox stands out among the blue or green checkmarks better than any bold font would. Also, if you only want to see uncleared transactions, use the Status filter for that.
  • Vedanta
    Vedanta Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Vedanta said:

I am doing it through Quicken Connect. Direct Connect doesn't seem to be an available option. Also, the puzzling part is one file connects perfectly, the other doesn't--to the same bank, same credentials (user name, password). The problem-file stopped downloading transactions (while in Q2017) on October 16. No idea why.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Vedanta said:

Santander only supports Quicken Connect. My recommendation would be to deactivate downloads, wait a day or two then reactivate. If that doesn't help, then it's likely a script issue related to one of the accounts. For that, you should contact Quicken Support as they are the only ones with the resources to deal with Q/C script issues.

Since the problem started with QM2017, it is not specifically related to QM2018 and does not really belong in this thread. You already have a thread posted dealing with the issue in which you were advised to contact support here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/unable-to-download-transactions-from-santander
  • Vedanta
    Vedanta Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Vedanta said:

That's right, RickO. My second file is also originally from Q2017, but that works fine in Q2018--that is the problem. If both of my files had identical connectivity issues, it would have been understandable.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.

smayer97 wrote "Only data used with the Starter version becomes read=only when your subscription expires. With all other versions you can continue to use in manual mode after expiration."

I haven't seen the official pronouncement on this. Can you or someone else provide a link? It is a reasonable and welcome change from their original position.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.

the ability to continue to use the software, including manual transactions, is stated in a number of places, but I guess the most official is the Terms of Use (replacing the old License Agreement):
    Quicken Data Access Guarantee. When your Membership ends certain features will no longer be available. These may include, without limitation, features such as download, data sync, mobile sync, quotes, and any other Products and Services that require online access or are provided by a third party (including our Suppliers).
    Our Data Access Guarantee ensures that you will always be able to have access to your transaction data even after your Membership ends. Using manual data entry, you will be able to add new transactions and accounts to your data files. You will also be able to access, view, and export your financial data using currently supported formats and file types.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

Hmmm, no mention of "Starter". I wonder if that means that Starter is now included in the Data Access Guarantee or if it's excluded in some other (hidden) place?
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

On the Quicken.com support page describing the Data Access Guarantee, it says clearly: "The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only."

In other places, there is an asterisk, (but finding what the asterisk means isn't clear in all the places I've seen it).
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

Yup... Here's one where there's no mention of Starter and no asterisk:

https://www.quicken.com/terms-of-use

I'll point out to Kathryn.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

I was just trying to show that there is a clear answer to the question about Starter Edition. The legalese is still a work in progress, as noted in some other threads. (For instance, yesterday at some point, the footnote about the money-back guarantee was still last year's text about 60 days; I see it's now updated to state 30 days.)
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

OK understood, and given even when you try and do a transfer within the application the link is not maintained (or even created in the first place) what you say makes sense. The functionality is rudimentary at best, but still better than nothing.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Actually, transfers between accounts in Quicken Mac are linked. Create a transfer. Edit the amount or memo in either of the accounts it shows up in, and the change is immediately reflected. Delete the transaction in one account, and it disappears from the other.

This is why Marcus was suggesting that perhaps they could do something unique for importing mutli-currency linked transactions from Windows whereby they treat them as two separate, unlinked transactions. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

I have the same problem. I ordered from Quicken.com. I tried to reinstall. still did not work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

I found the ability to configure the columns, so that is good and I've removed that point from my original post. I'll experiment to see if I can recover a useful data presentation. But my previous comments still hold, especially the performance disaster and mathematical computation of gains.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Steve, I suspect most of the problems you describe are growing pains which they'll be able to fix in subsequent updates, but in the meantime, why not just go back to your Quicken 2017, get your money back for Quicken 2018, and wait and see for a bit? You didn't waste $50; you can get it back. You've only had it a day, so you can easily go back to your last data file backup before you upgraded and not lose time getting up to date. (This is why I no longer ever want to get new software, whether it's a new versions of Quicken or a macOS update from Apple, as soon as it comes out; there are almost inevitably issues that need to get worked out.)
  • Vedanta
    Vedanta Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Vedanta said:

My problem was resolved (thanks to an agent with whom I spoke over the phone) by exporting the data to a Windows .qxf format, and importing it into a new file. Looks like my problem-file had gotten corrupted for some reason (which I'll never know why!).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Also, when you switch views (e.g. from 'portfolio value' to 'performance') and go back again, you lose your sort. So, for example, if you sorted on 'day/gain loss %' and them leave and come back, you lose that and it reverts to sorting by name. Quicken should persist that sort choice and maintain it until I change it. And did I mention that the performance when switching is so slow that it is intolerable?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks, that's a good point, 'Jacobs'. 
This discussion has been closed.