Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

It would be interesting to know if one can run QM17  alongside QM18 until  the bugs are cleaned up.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

Yes you can. However, going forward, QM18 has removed the year from the program name. It's now just "Quicken". So that means you won't be able to run two versions of Qm18 (eg. 5.2.x and 5.3.x) simultaneously

Whether you will be able to keep and run two versions of QM18+ separately is unknown and depends on whether or not QM18+ automatically updates on launch as being discussed earlier in this thread.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good news Rick!, As we know when Quicken provides updates it trashes the previous version , does  it do  this when accepting QM18?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Installing a new paid version never trashed your previous paid version. Only dot-upgrades within a year have done that. I believe the same is true with Quicken 2018. Just installing it won't trash Quicken 2017. But going forward, all the updates Sparkle updates will replace the existing version of 5.x.

(Trivia we definitely don't need to worry about today: without annual updates, and continuous minor updates, what change will ever move from version 5.x to version 6.x? Hmmm... ;) )
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Got that Rick, recall as a relatively new Mac user QM16 it did not get trashed by QM17..Just was not sure how the subscription feature would impact stuff.

While we all can agree QM17 needs many features upgraded to what Qw/Qm2007 is , hopefully  we don't loose the nice features (and there are many) that QM17 provides.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

That's all fine and good, but we need QM18 to fix these horrible performance problems -- it shouldn't take 11 seconds to switch from one filter to the next.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Rick O - to run QM17 and QM18 concurrently, does QM18 copy QM17 last database so there is then a .quicken18 file? 

I'd buy QM18 now if I knew I could use both in parallel for a week, month or so. 
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yes you can run both in parallel, but you need to make a copy of your Quicken 2017 database prior to running Quicken 2018 on it and always use the appropriate database with the matching program.

As well of course you wold have to maintain two production copies of your data for the time you run in parallel.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Concordman... yes, the previous .x version gets put in the trash. But that doesn't do any good, because when pull it out of the trash an launch it, it auto-updates immediately. Again, this is for the situation when you haven't yet registered it to your subscription. Unknown to me if it works that way after registered.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs... good question. I too wonder if they'll ever be a 6.x version. Also wondering if 5.x updates will be handled the same as 5.x.y updates. I can live with the third digit updates happening automatically as long as the user is given the option on the second digit (more significant) updates.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

• What bills, if any, are downloaded as PDFs? 
    • How do I see the PDF bills?
    • Is there any way to download past bills?
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • How often does Quicken check to see if there is a new bill waiting? 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    Hey @Quicken Marcus -

Can you help with these bill presentment PDF questions.
    This was a major feature promoted about the new version, and I can't figure it out at all.

Saul
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

• If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    Have you look at the following website? It may help you get started.

http://quickenbillpay.com
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

On how many devices may I use Quicken? I have two computers so do I also need to purchase the upgrade for the second computer?
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    I don't have Quicken for Mac 2018 yet, but as I understand it you do the following:
    • Click on Bills & Income tab
    • Add a bill
    • From the dialog of suppliers pick one that applies to you
    • Supply your online credentials for that vendor
    • Then when the bill is due Quicken will get the PDF for you to then pay.

Maybe someone who has used it can give you more details. 
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RickO, I imagine they'll stick to 5.x releases for new features and 5.x.y releases for bug fixes between features releases. that's what they've been doing the past three years, and still makes sense. The only question is what future update will be significant enough to earn the moniker of 6.0. And this is probably the 6,437th least important question we need an answer to. ;)
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jrrollins7, You can run your Quicken on more than one computer. The limit used to be three computers, but I think they're in the process of removing that entirely.

The only limitation is that you ave a single Quicken ID for your subscription which will be associated with the Quicken application and as many data files as you have. This is not problematic for many users, but may be for some users who want to share Quicken with someone in their household (spouse, parent, child), because a few services (mobile app, credit score) are ties to the Quicken ID, not each data file.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs... That's not my only question. I don't really care how they number versions. What I want to know is if I will have control over delaying any updates until I'm ready to install them. There have been, in the past, 4.x releases that I was really glad I waited until 4.x.3 or 4.x.4 was released to update after seeing the number of problems other users reported. The current 4.6.x is a good example.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options

Talk about beating a subject to death.

We get it.  Quicken Mac 2018 automatically downloads new versions...and you havre no control over it.

You've made that implicitly clear.

Enough already.  
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@ProGolfer... If you don't like the discussion, I would suggest you unfollow the thread. Questions are being asked and answered and points clarified. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options

How many times are you going to ask the same question?  THAT'S the point!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

I have the same problem
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Agreed. Deploying a feature without implementing a solution for converters from QWin is incomplete...especially knowing there are many QWin users that are wanting and waiting to convert.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Or they could calculate the conversion rate and record it during the conversion...making it consistent with any new data entered.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Well, there are a number of things that don't have a solution for QWin users wanting to convert, right?  Attachments, for instance. Anyone who has invested many hours in importing copies of bills, statements or other documents into Quicken is not going to convert if all that work gets left behind. At least I understand somewhat why multi-currency data doesn't work cross-platform, because Mac doesn't have true multi-currency functionality -- but Mac supports attachments, and it seems like it would be feasible to convert them. (Build a table on the Windows side assigning a record number to each attachment and the record ID number of the transaction it's attached to, move all the attachments to a folder on the Mac, and then reverse the process by attaching each attachment to a transaction using the table built in Windows. I'm sure there must be wrinkles, but the point is that it seems like its eminently do-able, but it's been ignored for three years although users ask about it.)
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Jacobs - I was referring to transfers between accounts of different currencies. New transfers are not linked - neither are imported ones.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The key difference is that the feature for attachments in QMac has been there since 2010; different era, team and management, and having to touch old code. Here they are introducing a new feature, so it would make sense to add a solution at the same time. 

• jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm confused. We're talking about multi-currency issues here, right? That's a longstanding feature on Windows, and doesn't yet exist on Mac. What's the new feature you're referring to?
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just upgraded, still need to do a detailed review of each account. But these are the initial oroblems I see...

1. The accounts pane ( left side) is truncating the cents. I believe this was done in an earlier version and changed back. I know the IRS likes to be lazy, but isn't that setting the bar a bit low?

2. Every time I move away from the portfolio view and return I have to reset the column widths so I can see totals. It appears the  column width is being set with the normal font, but the totals are bold and just a little wider. Shouldn't column width adjustments be 'sticky'?

4. ROI/IRR is somewhat addressed on the Portfolio View, but dividends are not included. What I was expecting is 'market value + dividends received - money invested'.  This was available in Windows Premier before I upgraded to Mac.

5. If I completely collapse the graph in portfolio view I can't reopen it. The mouse cursor indicates that it should drag open, but it won't move.

6. With 2017 the icon was changed to ID the version, now the icon has nothing to differentiate it from other versions suxh as 2016.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Just upgraded, still need to do a detailed review of each account. But these are the initial oroblems I see...

1. The accounts pane ( left side) is truncating the cents. I believe this was done in an earlier version and changed back. I know the IRS likes to be lazy, but isn't that setting the bar a bit low?

2. Every time I move away from the portfolio view and return I have to reset the column widths so I can see totals. It appears the  column width is being set with the normal font, but the totals are bold and just a little wider. Shouldn't column width adjustments be 'sticky'?

4. ROI/IRR is somewhat addressed on the Portfolio View, but dividends are not included. What I was expecting is 'market value + dividends received - money invested'.  This was available in Windows Premier before I upgraded to Mac.

5. If I completely collapse the graph in portfolio view I can't reopen it. The mouse cursor indicates that it should drag open, but it won't move.

6. With 2017 the icon was changed to ID the version, now the icon has nothing to differentiate it from other versions suxh as 2016.

I'm not yet running QM18, so I'm a bit in the dark, but do have some thoughts...
    In QM17, you could turn on/off the display of cents in the sidebar by clicking the three dot (...) icon at the top of the sidebar. Is that what you're looking for?
    Is this perhaps because the dividends are recorded as separate DIV and BUY transactions. I know some brokerages (e.g. Fidelity) download them this way instead of as single REINV DIV transactions. Might this be causing QM18 not to include these in ROI?
    There's no more Hide/Show Chart button like in QM17?
    Did you notice that the app itself no longer has the year in its name? I'm guessing they are moving away from year-named versions and it will eventually just be called Quicken with major upgrades identified by change in top level version number (e.g. 5.x, 6.x, etc.)
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

You nailed the first item, I had forgotten where the configuration was for the cents.

Next, I do not DRIP the dividends, so they are just dividend entries. As some stocks have been held for more than 20 years the difference when dividends are included in the return are noticable.

The Hide/Show chart is missing, I can drag the border beweeen the chart and the portfolio. But if I move it up to close the chart I can not reopen,

You are right, the icon ID really does not matter since we won't have multiple installations by year.
This discussion has been closed.