Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?

My comment is purely about an upgrade price. Most software companies have an upgrade price that is lower than the full retail price.

Thanks for the info about cheaper versions!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Not uncommon to buy these things lower from online retailers;I recall when purchase QM the past few years Quicken was pricing around $65.00, Amazon had it for $44.00
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2017 to Quicken Mac Premier 2018 and so far it seems great. I enrolled in Quicken Billpay and I'm changing all my bill reminders to linked bills and online payees. It's a little quirky, getting some duplications, but I'm muddling through it. 

When will the money be drafted from my bank account? Inside the Quicken Mac app it gives me a draft date and a pay date when I set up the online payment, but if I look online at my account on Quicken Billpay's website, the very same online payment says the money will leave my bank account when the payee cashes the check. This is true for all the billpay payments I have set up so far. Which is correct?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Quicken does offer the 10% discount for previous owners.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

@RCinNJ: You're right, Quicken is unusual in not having "upgrades" at all; users pay full price for a new version each time they want to upgrade. But it's been this way for decades; it's nothing new. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@jacobs:  Which Quicken products are we comparing?  From Quicken you get the following three products.
    • Quicken 2018 Starter   --  $34.99
    • Quicken 2018 Deluxe  --  $49.99
    • Quicken 2018 Premier --  $74.99
    Is Office Depot selling the Deluxe or Premier product?

As a software developer, I tended to purchase the latest release of all commercial software products that I used.  Quicken's new pricing seems to be a significant reduction in price.  Quicken Premier 2017 was $109.99 and Quicken for Mac 2017 was $74.99.

So, instead of an annual cost of $217.33 for Quicken, my annual cost drops to $74.99 as the new subscription model allows me to use the product under both the Windows and macOS operating systems.

I can't remember if the first pop-up upgrade window offered a 10% or $10.00 discount for upgrading.  Does anyone remember?
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

@M C Crockett: Yes, in my post above, I gave the pricing for Premier. Office Depot sells all the editions of Quicken: Starter; Deluxe; Premier; and Home, Business & Rental Property (Windows only)

Whether the pricing is an increase or a decrease, and how much, depends entirely how individuals have purchased and used Quicken in the past. Many people purchased from retailers like Amazon, where the price was typically about one hatred less than the list price from Quicken Inc. And many people purchased Quicken only every two or three years, which reduced their effective cost per year to a much lower number. And most people did not buy both the Mac and Windows versions (except, perhaps, in a year they were migrating from one to the other). 

So in your case, as someone who previously purchased both Mac and Windows copies of Quicken each year, your cost has indeed decreased considerably. For someone who previously bought Quicken for a single platform at a discount for about $50 every third year, their cost has increased considerably.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

• Quicken 2018 Starter   --  $34.99
    • Quicken 2018 Deluxe  --  $49.99
    • Quicken 2018 Premier --  $74.99
    True, this is a new complexity for Mac users, where there used to be only one version. When I saw Office depot selling Quicken Premier for $50/year I had to check the price for Premier and how it differed from Deluxe. The differences are few. One is that Quicken says that Premier gives "priority access to support*" but I haven't found any explanation for what the words or asterisk mean.

jacobs, I didn't say charging full price for upgrades was new, just that I thought it was bad. Also, pricing so that anyone who buys Quicken directly is a fool doesn't make me happy. It seems to me that they could offer the upgrade at the price that Office Depot and Staples pay and not be any worse off.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Just upgraded, still need to do a detailed review of each account. But these are the initial oroblems I see...

1. The accounts pane ( left side) is truncating the cents. I believe this was done in an earlier version and changed back. I know the IRS likes to be lazy, but isn't that setting the bar a bit low?

2. Every time I move away from the portfolio view and return I have to reset the column widths so I can see totals. It appears the  column width is being set with the normal font, but the totals are bold and just a little wider. Shouldn't column width adjustments be 'sticky'?

4. ROI/IRR is somewhat addressed on the Portfolio View, but dividends are not included. What I was expecting is 'market value + dividends received - money invested'.  This was available in Windows Premier before I upgraded to Mac.

5. If I completely collapse the graph in portfolio view I can't reopen it. The mouse cursor indicates that it should drag open, but it won't move.

6. With 2017 the icon was changed to ID the version, now the icon has nothing to differentiate it from other versions suxh as 2016.

@cneal... re:
    5. If I completely collapse the graph in portfolio view I can't reopen it. The mouse cursor indicates that it should drag open, but it won't move.
    Now that I've got QM18 running, here's my observation. When you collapse the graph, you see only a little dot at the center of the window that you need to drag down in order to expand the graph again:

There is no longer a Hide/Show button like there was in QM17. When you hover your cursor over the dot, it will change to a horizontal line with down pointing arrow icon. When you click and pull down, there can be a LONG delay while Quicken builds the graph. If you release the mouse button while this is happening, sometimes the graph will not appear. So, pull down the dot, keep holding the mouse button down and wait, wait, wait until the graph is drawn. See if that works.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Just upgraded, still need to do a detailed review of each account. But these are the initial oroblems I see...

1. The accounts pane ( left side) is truncating the cents. I believe this was done in an earlier version and changed back. I know the IRS likes to be lazy, but isn't that setting the bar a bit low?

2. Every time I move away from the portfolio view and return I have to reset the column widths so I can see totals. It appears the  column width is being set with the normal font, but the totals are bold and just a little wider. Shouldn't column width adjustments be 'sticky'?

4. ROI/IRR is somewhat addressed on the Portfolio View, but dividends are not included. What I was expecting is 'market value + dividends received - money invested'.  This was available in Windows Premier before I upgraded to Mac.

6. With 2017 the icon was changed to ID the version, now the icon has nothing to differentiate it from other versions suxh as 2016.

Works for me.  Good observation of the small breadcrumbs in the UI.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

I agree that their pricing between direct sales and retail is odd; I was just noting that it's been this way for eons. I suspect in the old days, the issue was that retailers wouldn't give it prominent shelf space and display in stores if Quicken sold it for the same price themselves. As brick-and-mortar sales have declined, I wonder whether it's still justified. There are other software products I buy -- as well as hardware, cameras, etc. -- where the manufacturer sets a price and retailers can't discount it. It might be better for Quicken to cut their price a bit and then sell direct and retail for the same price.

The "Premium Support" means that you go into a pool of callers who should get their calls answered almost immediately -- within one minute is their goal -- instead of setting in a queue for 30, 60 or more minutes. The problem is that as they get lots more people on Premium support, they may not be able to deliver. there were reports last week of people with Premium Support waiting for 30+ minutes to get through to a support representative. Of course, if we was the first week of a major new release, so it's understandable there were a lot more calls -- but if they're selling this as a feature people are paying extra for, and can't deliver what they promise, then that will be bad. I think full judgment about that need to be put off for a few weeks to see how things settle out.
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

I just didn't wait long enough. Timed it at 40 seconds. That's a feature that needs some work.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

Last time I checked a couple days ago, Staples had the best price (on a per month basis) for all three editions.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Absolutely this graph feature is a retrenchment in capability, it is a definite real estate hog, eats up way to much area, in addition to the hide feature eliminated, you can’t modify it permanently, it returns to original size when you return to the respective account
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

It does not return for me. When I drag the dot all the way up to collapse it, it stays collapsed on next visit. Make sure you're dragging the dot all the way up.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

I was referring to modifying the size of the graph not totally collapsing it. When you return to the respective account the graph takes on its original dimensions
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Okay, I concur with that. Don't really care since I've got them all hidden now. Which, by the way, greatly reduces the time for the portfolio view to open.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Makes sense Rick as the graph is the dominant delay in getting the PV open..
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

@Concordman:  At least, the "Price and Holdings as of" date now identifies the last date being graphed.  Having Quicken redraw the same graph whenever you changed the "Price and Holdings as of" date was really annoying and didn't match the data displayed in the table.

With 10 horizontal lines with text identifying the value of each line, it's pretty difficult to reduce the vertical height of the graph.  Have you tried switching this window to full screen?  Now that's gross!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Actually, as per some users the conversion at the transaction level works but support for preserving the exchange rates during the conversion from QWin to QM2018 is not implemented.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

I have sought that Code a long time, it seems.  If someone knows it, maybe He or She will post it here, please?  [I _refuse_ to use They as a singular pronoun, to replace "He or She".  I believe in Proper English, happily-so.  :-) ]

I _suspect_ that Quicken 2018 is Alien, i. e. Made By Foreigners.  Whatcha gonna do?  What _can_ I do?  How sad!  :-(  ;-(
  • Bob@37
    Bob@37 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

Please don't let my avatar fool you:  My residence in Dallas, Texas ended most-abruptly in 1993, not willingly.  [At least I am still Alive!  :-) ]
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bobalaska said:

I am interested upgrading from Quicken 2015 to buying 2 year subscription to Quicken 2018 Deluxe
    Mac. I understand I can only do this from retailer, not on Quicken
    website.

Questions: 1. Is that correct?

2. Licensing: Quicken website
    says that at least prior versions of Quicken can be installed on up to three computers in the same
    household. So if I buy a 2 year subscription, install onto my
    computer, and then want to install on a second computer- mainly for my
    wife's Quicken account, does it work the same way- use my Quicken ID for installation on my computer to access my data file, and then use her ID on her computer, etc?  Is only difference the subscription vs former paid upgrade models?

Easy -- now running QMac2017 and QMac2018 concurrently with their own database.
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

Hello.

Just to clarify the Mac Update behavior.

1. First install ever could auto-update
    If you've never, ever run the Quicken Subscription version (2018) on a machine (so no prefs, no Application data, etc.) we will automatically get the latest version and install IF a newer version is available.

This is really because of CDs. The version of Quicken burned on a CD at time of manufacture will go out of date. As such, we want to make sure that if you're using an old version, you get the latest update for your first use. 

If you're downloading directly from Quicken.com  (via direct purchase or web activation flow) this should typically not happen because you'll already be downloading the latest version and typically no update will be available.

2. After first use/install - update is the same as it was in the past

Except for the first use case mentioned above, updates are handled via Sparkle in the normal manner. You can skip and do it later.  

3. You can run 2017 and 2018/Subscription version side-by-side on the same Mac computer

There is no issue doing this. However, note that once you open a data file in 2017 you will not be able to open that same, converted data file in 2018.

Hope this clears up your questions.

Jeff

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Jeff, to clarify.  If I run 2018 Mac can I then open the 2018 data file in 2017 Mac if I decide to go back to 2017?
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Quicken Jeff... Thanks for the post. it is clear.

I did report a couple days ago that once I got my subscription activated and got out of setup mode, I did see the normal Sparkle update confirmation dialog to go from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1. This post has gotten so long that it's hard to follow.

I'm glad that the update protocol is staying the same and thanks.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Gasport... No you can not. Once your data file is migrated to QM18, it can no longer be opened by QM17. So if you want to test QM18 and be able to go back to QM17, you pretty much have to run them in parallel, whilst making all your inputs to both databases separately. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Exactly what I am doing, I am running them in parallel on my iMAC, one just needs to keep ones wits about what is being done, the key is to make sure that you are aware of the difference when you backup both QM17 &18. I have a separate folder for QM18 backups.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

I find the easiest way to keep track of which one I'm in at a glance is to look at the blue bar at the top. QM17 says "Bills", while QM18 says "Bills & Income".
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

+1 @RickO..That is how I am doing it..Would be nice if there was some color variances between the two programs, For all intensive purposes the Banking aspects with the exception of the eBilling or tracking PDF ( which I have yet to find anyone of my payees coming up with) is pretty much unchanged... The changes are on the investment side, some of it for the good ..some for the worse. 
This discussion has been closed.