Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?

I received an email with a 10% off offer to upgrade to 2018.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bobalaska said:

I am interested upgrading from Quicken 2015 to buying 2 year subscription to Quicken 2018 Deluxe
    Mac. I understand I can only do this from retailer, not on Quicken
    website.

Questions: 1. Is that correct?

2. Licensing: Quicken website
    says that at least prior versions of Quicken can be installed on up to three computers in the same
    household. So if I buy a 2 year subscription, install onto my
    computer, and then want to install on a second computer- mainly for my
    wife's Quicken account, does it work the same way- use my Quicken ID for installation on my computer to access my data file, and then use her ID on her computer, etc?  Is only difference the subscription vs former paid upgrade models?

I am having trouble exporting my Quicken 2017 for Mac data to my new Quicken 2018 for Mac.  Any suggestions?
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bobalaska said:

I am interested upgrading from Quicken 2015 to buying 2 year subscription to Quicken 2018 Deluxe
    website.

says that at least prior versions of Quicken can be installed on up to three computers in the same
    wife's Quicken account, does it work the same way- use my Quicken ID for installation on my computer to access my data file, and then use her ID on her computer, etc?  Is only difference the subscription vs former paid upgrade models?

I didn't need to export the data. QM2018 automatically saved a backup of the 17 file with a different extension, and then loaded and converted it without my intervention. Hope this helps.

Edit: you do need to navigate to your data file.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bobalaska said:

website.

Would you share the 'different extension' and the new QM2018 extension?
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bobalaska said:

website.

Sure; the backed up file has the extension quicken2017, and he converted file has the same name with the extension of just quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just upgraded from 2017 and seems to be running smoothly. The "Enter Activation Code..." dialog says I will receive an activation code in the order confirmation email, but there isn't one. Any ideas?

I tried to purchase Quicken Deluxe for Mac 2018 but have gotten the same error message for three days saying the site is not working and to purchased from Staples.com which does not have the one year purchase available.
  • Vlodek Gabara
    Vlodek Gabara Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

I have been using windows version for years and last few years under paralles on a Mac. Tried Mac 2017 but it was by far not as good as windows version. Need to decide which of the two I am going to go for 2018. Any comparison? Any views? Please help2
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

If Quicken Mac 2017 didn't meet your needs, chances are Quicken Mac 2018 won't either. At least right now. There are a few new features in the initial release of 2018, but more will be delivered as the year goes along.

But here's the good news: if you purchase a Quicken 2018 subscription, you get the option to download and use both he Mac and Windows version. So you could update your Windows version, and try the Mac versional no extra cost  to see if it better meets your needs.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

BTW, Quicken 2018 is Mac and Windows versions together.  So, for one price you get the Mac and Windows versions on CD or through downloads.

Great way to compare the two products and see if Quicken Mac will work for you.

But as jacobs said, nothing has really changed in the Mac version.  It's still a very inferior version compared to the Windows version. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

As jacobs stated MAC version is not  going to replace Windows version for a while..gonna take a few yrs  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Just upgraded, still need to do a detailed review of each account. But these are the initial oroblems I see...

1. The accounts pane ( left side) is truncating the cents. I believe this was done in an earlier version and changed back. I know the IRS likes to be lazy, but isn't that setting the bar a bit low?

2. Every time I move away from the portfolio view and return I have to reset the column widths so I can see totals. It appears the  column width is being set with the normal font, but the totals are bold and just a little wider. Shouldn't column width adjustments be 'sticky'?

4. ROI/IRR is somewhat addressed on the Portfolio View, but dividends are not included. What I was expecting is 'market value + dividends received - money invested'.  This was available in Windows Premier before I upgraded to Mac.

5. If I completely collapse the graph in portfolio view I can't reopen it. The mouse cursor indicates that it should drag open, but it won't move.

6. With 2017 the icon was changed to ID the version, now the icon has nothing to differentiate it from other versions suxh as 2016.

I am not using QM18 as of yet but I am thinking the DIV reinvested is not included In ROI/IRR. Would love to be wrong on this one
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

• What bills, if any, are downloaded as PDFs? 
    • How do I see the PDF bills?
    • Is there any way to download past bills?
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    • How often does Quicken check to see if there is a new bill waiting? 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    HI, Saul. 

I'll run through your questions one by one. 
    Over 11,000 billers are supported for download of amount and due dates. Right now there are about 100 billers from which we can download PDFs but new billers are being added all the time. The order of support for PDF billers is based primarily on number of customers that might have that bill, so the big guys--Phone companies (Verizon, t-mobile, AT&T etc),  cable companies (Time Warner, Comcast, Direct TV, etc.), big credit card providers, etc. 

Good feedback on the fact that we don't do a good job of showing you this list when you search. 
    Add the Bill via the new bills dashboard. If PDF download is supported a PDF icon will show in the dashboard next to the amount due after you add the bill. Click that to see the statements.

Note that due to timing issues in getting PDFs from the billers you might not always see the PDF icon when you first add a supported bill. For example, when I added my Comcast  I did not see it immediately. Later I did a refresh and it showed up--we're working to improve this experience. 
    No. Only the current bill. However, Quicken will remember/keep your PDFs so over time you will build up history. 
    • If I already have a credit card account with online access, will Quicken automatically download the PDF bill each month? Do I need to set it up separately in bill presentment?
    You'll need to set it up separately in the BIlls & Income tab. Click on Bills, then "new bill" then, Track. Then enter the name of the biller you'd like to add (or select an icon from the list shown) and click next. The second screen in the flow is essentially search results of supported billers based on what you typed on the first screen.   (This flow is something we're working to improve.)
    When you do a download or sync we check for new info. 
    • What is the actual workflow when a new bill arrives? Do I have the option to set up a direct payment? (My bank supports direct payments.)
    The ebill feature gives you the amount due (and min amount due for credit cards) and due date. If you use bill pay (your bank's bill pay via Direct Connect or Quicken Bill Pay--now included for free with Premiere) you can pay the bill directly from the Bills Dashboard.

So assuming you have BIll Pay setup and have added ebills on your dashboard a workflow might be:
    1. Open Quicken and click sync/update to download stuff and get latest bills
    2. View Bill dashboard to see what's due and amount due
    3.  Click "pay" button for the bill you want to pay
    • Can I set up an automatic payment for a credit card and choose whether to pay the full balance, the minimum or another amount?
    You cannot setup autopay in Quicken. However, if you setup autopay at with your biller, you could still download the ebill to get the amount due, min amount and statement (if supported)--even if you don't actually pay via Quicken.
    • If I already have my credit card company automatically deducting my bill from my checking account, can I have Quicken automatically enter the future transaction into my register so I can see my cash flow without having Quicken set up the transfer?
    See above. Short answer, yes.

You can setup the ebill, select the pay from account and  category (or transfer account) and then the downloaded amount from the ebill will be used in projected balances (in both the projected balances feature or if turn on the Scheduled Transactions or "reminders" in your register via Account Settings--note you don't have to actually "enter" them to see them in the register if you turn on this feature).

One caveat--since Quicken only knows the amount of only the next instance, this bext value will be use in future projections--if you choose to look 90 days ahead for example. Keep this in mind with non-fixed bills like credit cards.
    • Can Quicken automatically download my checking, savings and investment statements as PDFs?
    Not at this time.
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just upgraded to Quicken 2018, largely to use the bill presentment/PDF bill download feature.

I'm stumped. There is no documentation online or in the help system.

I've gone to the bills and income section, clicked add bill, and entered my account information for a few billers. But it is unclear what that has done for me.

Related question: My bank, like many big banks, now lets me see check images online. Is there any way that Quicken can automatically capture those images end embed them in the transaction register. Now when I want to reconcile my account, I still need to log on to the bank to figure out what the checks are,.

Thanks
    Saul
    (Quicken for 30 years)
    I hear your pain... I also wish we had this. But alas, we currently don't have a way to download the check images automatically.

However, you can attach the images to your transactions  manually. Just drop an image on the transaction in your register.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

You have to remember too that Quicken has to keep improving the Windows version in order to justify the subscription model.  Basically, it is a moving target and we have not seen that many improvements in the Mac version so it will be some time before we see them as equal products.
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi Quicken Marcus - would you mind checking out my posts regarding a number of bugs that I've found in Quicken for Mac 2018? A few veteran forum users have been nice enough to respond, but I would be grateful to have reactions from Quicken employees. Thanks. (I'm assuming that if you click on my username, it will be easy to navigate to posts I've created)
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

Bought 2018 for Mac from Staples; downloaded and will install this weekend, intending to run 2017 and 2018 concurrently for 'a while' each with own database and backups.
  • HansT
    HansT Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Still suffering constant errors upon account download attempts.imageimage

QMac2018 5.2.1
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

Sounds like the prudent thing to do!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Larry Nolan...tick, tick, tick.

That's the clock ticking down on the number of days you have left in your subscription.

The subscription starts AS OF the date you download the software...not the day you install the software.
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

@ProGolfer. Are you sure about that? How could quicken tell when you can get it from Amazon, Staples, Office Depot etc.do they send quicken a report?? I would think the clock would start when you activate it and supply your Quicken ID.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Correct, in the case of purchase from other than directly from Quicken, the clock starts when you first register the activation code. For purchases directly from Quicken, it starts on day of purchase.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

To support what RickO said:

In the terms of use...

The Membership Term. The Membership Term is the amount of time for which you have full rights to use the Products and Services. The Membership Term is generally either one (1) or two (2) years, depending on your choice at the time of purchase, but we may sometimes offer trial Memberships of shorter duration. If you purchase your Membership directly from Quicken at Quicken.com, your Membership term starts at the time of purchase. For retail sales of a physical package (either through an online seller or in a physical store), or for retail sales via digital download other than on Quicken.com, the Membership Term begins at Product activation
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

I have seen the type of behavior exhibited by Quicken in the past.  The problem was resolved for me by closing Quicken immediately after it is upgraded and creates a new data base.  It appears that adjustments to transaction registers are not saved until after the first time that you quit the application.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Glad for that! I missed a bullet @ProGolfer.

Waiting a day or two to start my two-year subscription!

And I'm sure that there will be a few 5.2.x updates to correct problems in the new version. It's been that way since I first did programming for $ back in 1967.
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

if we own v2017 is there an upgrade path?

Well, damn! I converted from Q-Windows 2017 to Q-Mac 2017 3-4 months ago, as I recall. Just upgraded to Q-Mac 2018, but no discount offer, e-mail or otherwise. Bummer. 
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Hi Quicken Marcus,

Just want to let you know this bug. Switching from Portfolio Value view to Performance view causes some holdings dispearred.

Interesting! So nobody else find this is wired, or it is just me.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bigevil said:

how does the dropbox backup work? image

Answer to my own question: yes, it can be combined with an existing Dropbox account. See here:

Q2018 Dropbox Space Allocation
  • Bob@63
    Bob@63 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

RickO, I was confused by your post, too. I upgraded this week to Q-Mac 2018, which I downloaded from Quicken.com. Following installation, the version that opened was 5.2.1 (Build 52.20386.100). Is that what you're saying? That you skipped 5.2.0? Or had you opened and run 5.2.0 after upgrading to Q-M 2018 and the next time you opened the app it had downloaded and installed v. 5.2.1 without your consent? 
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

Investments in 5.2.1 are totally broken -- what have you done?? I just upgraded from 2017 and now the investment window is useless. If I select a "group by..." option, it takes 11 SECONDS for the cursor to stop spinning. Any change takes between 8 and 13 SECONDS to display. And that happens each time. It used to by less than a second. Maddening!

Further, the performance option, which you think might have this data, has nothing! Just percentages, and not even of all investments -- just a mysterious subset. And the realized gains selection is completely wrong, mathematically. Way off, like by many tens of thousands per asset (over $100,000 for some assets -- I sure wish I'd made that much). 

Also lost is the ticker symbol, which you might not think matters but it does because I have many Vanguard funds and they all start out with "Vanguard..." and then they are truncated and the best way to tell the difference is the ticker instead of making that column so huge you can see the whole name but no other columns fit. Grrrr. 

So in summary, useful data is no longer displayed, performance is shot to hell, and the data displayed is wrong. Man did I just waste $50. I want 2017 back.

@ProGolfer... I see now why you thought I was beating a dead horse here. I had responded to part of @jacobs post above mine, but before my response hit, his post was edited to remove the part that I was responding to. So it did appear that my questioning automatic updates here was a non sequitur on this sub-thread.

In any case, question is resolved. See my new post on page one of this thread in that regard.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

@Bob, Yes to your 2nd question. I had a downloaded copy of QM2018, but had no activation code yet. So I was stuck in setup mode. In that mode, when I opened my downloaded 5.2.0 copy, it immediately updated to 5.2.1 which could not be canceled. I was concerned that this was the "new normal" even after activating. In Marcus' reply above, it was not clear to me that the user could postpone updates once activated.

I am now activated, and I can now happily confirm that in an activated copy of QM2018, updates are offered to the user when the program opens and the user can choose Remind Me Later. Once activated, updates work the same way they always did in QM2017 and earlier. When you are still in setup mode (pre activation), updates are forced, but I am okay with that.

I did get a bit vociferous about this and I am glad my concerns were unfounded.

This discussion has been closed.