Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

ANNOYING BUG Q2018 Mac (5.2.1). Since installing 2018 as an update to the latest version of Q17 for Mac, Q18 will NOT remember any password in its keychain. Everytime I run the program it asks for my Quicken ID, then wants a 6 digit 2FA code sent to my phone, then asks for my Q Billpay password, my bank password, and just for fun, insists on my Dropbox password to boot. I get this for a first time run, but everytime? This cannot be WAD. Otherwise it will drive me insane.

No. Absolutely did NOT uncheck the box asking to save PW to keychain. I don’t want to have to reenter information than once. I have complex passwords that are all different, and a password manager for them, which itself has a very complicated password (16 chars, numbers, alpha). I rebooted and it started the whole process over. Now it is adding the iCloud password into the mix as well.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

FYI, migrating from QMac to QWin has been broken since QW2013 as it scrambles all categorization of transactions, and it does not support converting investment transactions, unless there has been changes in QW2018 in this area (which I doubt, as there is no mention of it anywhere).

This has been a known problem among users for a very long time that has yet to be acknowledged by anyone at Quicken...but the forum here is full of documented cases.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

Quicken Marcus says "it really hasn't been an issue".  

Yet "the forum here is full of documented cases".  

I guess Quicken Marcus didn't get that memo. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

And BTW, this is not just a case of only those complaining report their results. SUs have confirmed this problem for quite some time.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

As for Marcus, I won't speak for him but my reading of it is that he is maybe referring to the idea that maybe there have not been many that have been interested in going from QMac to QWin...just a guess though.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

But QM2017 is not a subscription-based product. Are you saying you cannot run QM2017 and QM2018 side by side?

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

Cost basis/share would be very useful.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just downloaded qmac18. I don't know if this is a bug, but wanted to let you know in case. When I resize the columns, the resizing doesn't remain when I go from one view to another. Like if I resize in portfolio, then go to transactions & back to portfolio, it has reset to the default size.
    Also, a comment on the portfolio enhancements. Not enough, in my humble opinion. I was hoping for all the column options that were available in 2007, ie: actual dollars invested, morningstar ratings, etc.

I'm seeing something very similar as Diane. She stated that it resizes if she goes to transactions and back. Mine will return to default size if I change accounts in the side bar, but stay constant when switching between the portfolio & transaction tabs. It only happens with investment accounts. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Regarding applying column settings, you can add your VOTE for the Ability to Set Default Columns, Sort and Sizes to Account Registers.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry if these are in Q2018 I do not have it yet. P/E ratio, Div. yield, 52-week range, would be great. Cost basis/share too, would have thought that one for sure would be in Q2018
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

Quicken does themselves and their customers a great disservice by marketing Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows together as if they are the same, when they aren't.
    ABSOLUTELY! Just read an article by a Mac product review site and they were promoting the products as nearly the same, but then admitted there was a lack of clarity on this issue, including the compatibility between them...so I promptly provided that clarity.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

When I started Quicken for Mac 2017 4.6.6 a little while ago I got the message to upgrade to Quicken 2018. I am not ready to update so I closed the upgrade dialog and plan on upgrading later. However, when I started quicken the next time I did not get the upgrade dialog and did not get it by selecting "Check for updates" from the menu.

How do I get the upgrade dialog back to be able to upgrade when ready? 

Would be nice if there was a check box to choose "Do not show again" so user can selectively decide whether to allow it to come again or not. 

• qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?

Thanks Marcus, would ending the current subscription give some refund? I really don't need anything in the Premier level now, but no documented (discounted) upgrade path is scary when we have no idea what features may be added to Premier level in the next 2 years!
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I will say for a subscription based product and plan. Having their Data Access Guarantee policy.
    "Whether you renew your membership or not, you will always have full access to and ownership of your data." and continue to us the program full features (minus downloading transactions data), making edits, printing and entering transactions manually. Is commendable, making it the first subscription based product I will purchase and I applaud them for it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

We'll have to make the change eventually but it's not something that will happen overnight.
    Given that multicurrency support has not happened since 2015, saying that it's not going to happen "overnight" is bordering misrepresentation of the product. It certainly is not going to happen until major rewrite of the product, and that may very well never happen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

We'll have to make the change eventually but it's not something that will happen overnight.
    Given that multicurrency support has not happened since 2015, saying that it's not going to happen "overnight" is bordering misrepresentation of the product. It certainly is not going to happen until major rewrite of the product, and that may very well never happen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

The resizing is remembered if I stay in one account, but if I look at another account, then go back to the account that I tried to resize the columns, it has reverted back to default. I think once you resize, it should be remembered until you change it again.
    The columns I miss from 2007 are: Amount invested (actual $ invested), ROI, Dividend yield, Mornigstar rating, risk & return and fund category. Of these, the amount invested is most important to me. It helps me determine my actual return on my $ invested, which is different than cost basis, which includes reinvested dividends.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

I realize functionality is catching up but more importantly I have an old Mac and a new pc hence the preference for Windows
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

Marcus,

I was able to download QM2018, but do not have an activation code. Therefore, I can open the program, but am stuck at the Get Started screen. That's to be expected. I am still running QM2017 as primary. 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought I was upgrade to a new version. I was not. I downloaded QM2018 5.2.0 myself.

What I am complaining about, it that the program updated from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1 without my consent or ability to cancel. There should never be an update done by the program within a major version (5.x.x) without the ability of the user to delay that update as long as the user desires.

I feel it is just very bad practice and lacks respect for the customer. I very much hope you return to the previous update practices.

I recognize that new users need to be online to verify subscription, etc. I have no problem with that. I'm glad to hear you say it is not necessary to be online after that.

But here's my question: if you are already set up with subscription verified, and you are online, will the program update from 5.2.1 to 5.2.2 or whatever then next update is, with no option for the user to cancel?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

Jacobs - I am not sure why you're saying this is not a bug when Marcus right above you acknowledged it.

@ Marcus - I would accept the 'broken' link although I'd have to think of a way to categorize the transactions on both sides (income on the GBP and expense on the USD) and so will likely maintain Quicken Windows as my main ledger for now.

As for parity, which always comes up. Well now you can run them side by side (assuming you have a Mac and a VM) and see. The Mac version has some nice features and is a little cleaner, but really basic stuff like the life planner and basic basic reports are impossible on the Mac version (Banktivity if anyone has looked at it has really great reporting).

And while I am on the subject of reports... why does everything default to a pie-chart. Yes they're pretty, but they're functionally and informationally the worst way to display data, especially when you have a dynamic total. Bar charts are almost always more informative.
  • Zoolook
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

Jacobs - I am not sure why you're saying this is not a bug when Marcus right above you acknowledged it.

@ Marcus - I would accept the 'broken' link although I'd have to think of a way to categorize the transactions on both sides (income on the GBP and expense on the USD) and so will likely maintain Quicken Windows as my main ledger for now.

As for parity, which always comes up. Well now you can run them side by side (assuming you have a Mac and a VM) and see. The Mac version has some nice features and is a little cleaner, but really basic stuff like the life planner and basic basic reports are impossible on the Mac version (Banktivity if anyone has looked at it has really great reporting).

And while I am on the subject of reports... why does everything default to a pie-chart. Yes they're pretty, but they're functionally and informationally the worst way to display data, especially when you have a dynamic total. Bar charts are almost always more informative.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

Well, effectively, users where ALWAYS on a subscription based model (for up to 3.5yrs, with a couple of exceptions: QEM, QM2007 and earlier), just without the name (except for the Starter version, where your data does become read-only if you do not renew). Only the time scale has changed. 

Originally, Quicken has tried to implement a read-only situation for ALL their products, starting with QW2017 for Canada but there was such an uproar that they backed off and reduced this to only the Starter version. So it was not for a lack of trying. But it was good that they paid attention to the feedback from the user base. 

• Zoolook
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Brucel - I tried what you suggested and get a lag of about 4 - 5 seconds (no beachball though).

On your comments about GCD making it really easy for developers to multi-thread, I am not sure what your experience is with AppKit and UIKit but when it comes to core data specifically, they're not thread-safe, particularly Cocoa bindings and controllers which makes multi-threading complex. In this case, the UI is waiting for the DB computations so it doesn't really matter if it's on the same core working sequentially or on another core sitting idle, it still has to wait, and Core Data cannot use more than one thread.

That's not to say there can't be vast optimizations - but even something like concurrency will limit you to two queues (a private and main, the latter being shared by the application).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just thought of another useful item that 2007 had that is not available in 2017 or 2018. I would like the ability to HIDE individual securities from lists, including the securities list. Showing all of the securities I once owned & have since sold, just clog up the list & slow down the price updates.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I just thought of another useful item that 2007 had that is not available in 2017 or 2018. I would like the ability to HIDE individual securities from lists, including the securities list. Showing all of the securities I once owned & have since sold, just clog up the list & slow down the price updates.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

You can add your VOTE to Add ability to hide currently unused securities.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry about the double post on my last post. This site seems a little buggy.
    One more thing...
    I miss having the Securities and Detail windows easily accessible. They were on a toolbar, so you could just click on them. Now you have to go to Window>Securities, then price history.
    The detail window also let you view all the transactions for that security.
    Actually, I miss having the Tool Bar also.
    These were all very helpful & missed in the new versions, IMHO.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry about the double post on my last post. This site seems a little buggy.
    One more thing...
    I miss having the Securities and Detail windows easily accessible. They were on a toolbar, so you could just click on them. Now you have to go to Window>Securities, then price history.
    The detail window also let you view all the transactions for that security.
    Actually, I miss having the Tool Bar also.
    These were all very helpful & missed in the new versions, IMHO.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yes this site is buggy with occasional double-posting...not your fault ;-)

This discussion has been closed.