Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.2 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

But isn't that the rationale for having the new "subscription" policy for Quicken?  So that you'll ALWAYS have the "latest and greatest" version of the software?

That should be Quicken Inc's reasoning for automatic downloading.  To eventually get everyone on the same version...whether you like it or not.  Easier to troubleshoot that way.

BTW, welcome to what Quicken Windows users have been encountering for months now...automatic updates WITHOUT prompting whether you want to update or not.  You just have to.  If you ignore the prompt after a One Step Update, it automatically downloads and updates when you re-open Quicken Windows.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I just opened Quicken 2018 and it updated to 5.2.1 without offering the ability to delay the update. 

I find this completely objectionable!!! I want control over when and if I apply any updates to my software.

NO NO NO. In the older versions, you get updates free too. No change there. But you could opt to delay. 

In my view, this is just TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. 

In the past, there have been (and will be in the future) updates that have broken something that may be mission critical for the user. As it is working now, you will not even be able to revert back to an earlier version because as soon as you launch it, it will update again.

I never install software updates when they are first release, especially for mission critical programs. 

This has to change!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

NOT in the recent Windows versions of Quicken.  As I mentioned, when you did a One Step Update, there would be a message that an update is available.  You have the opportunity to Download Now.  

But if you declined, the very NEXT time you opened Quicken Windows, it would update regardless.

Welcome to the Quicken Windows World.

And I guess you missed my point about Quicken Inc wanting EVERYONE to be on the same version.  Thus, the automatic downloads of updates...whether you want to or not.

As I said, it's easier to support that way.  No mishmash of versions trying to troubleshoot.  

That's gonna be the subscription plan way from here on out.  Better get used to it. 
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    brucel said:

Upgraded.  Overall the upgrade looks good, especially the improvements in the Investment area.  However, the new version blocks the main thread much (spinning rainbow cursor) much more than 2017 making it unbearable to use with my large data file.  These types of issues can easily be resolved if the development team would leverage Grand Central Dispatch (GCD) or NSOperationQueues to move the computationally intensive operations off the main UI thread to background threads.

Finally, to be certain we are all measuring the same user scenario, I am talking about the following:

1.  Click on "Investing" in the side bar. 
    2.  Select "Portfolio" and "1yr" - you should see a graph.
    3.  Click on one of your cash accounts to move away from Investing Portfolio view
    4.  Now click back to the Investing Portfolio view for 1 year of data

To understand the amount of data involved in the user scenario above, I filtered all investment transactions for the last 12 months (the same period shown in the Investments Portfolio view that beach-balls on my system).  It is interesting to note that there are only 503 transactions in past 12 months.  500 data elements is not a lot to ask of a 4GHz quad-core i7 to crunch especially when it is simply computing and displaying a graph and table. That said, I do have 6,832 investment transactions across multiple brokerage accounts spanning more than 20 years but, again, I don't think that matters for this user scenario because the Investing->Portfolio view only displays the past year (1y) which is only 503 transactions.  

I am confident there is an implementation issue in 2018 that I am sure the team can fix easily because querying, sorting, rolling up, arithmetic, etc. operations are ideal candidates for background thread processing, and in parallel, because those functions do not require user interaction.  Apple developed NSOperationQueues and GCD to make it very easy for developers to push computations off the main UI thread and to break large computations into sets of operations that can run in parallel.

Once the computation (e.g. compute Portfolio View) is moved to the background, further performance improvements could easily be made if the Portfolio View computations are partitioned into subqueries or subtasks dispatched across threads for parallel computing (again, Apple has made parallel computation via NSOperationQueue & GCD really easy). To illustrate in simplistic hypothetical terms what a nominal solution might be, consider the following:  For the Investments Portfolio View - CPU 1 services the UI (no UI blocking), CPU 2 computes Account 1 portfolio value, CPU 3 computes Account 2 portfolio value, ... CPU n sums Account 1-n portfolio values and delivers the result to CPU 1 which renders it in the UI.  I have 8 cores, so in practice the 500 transactions could be processed by 7 cores (500/7 = 71 transactions per core) instead of computing everything on the main UI thread which blocks until complete. This would perform 7 times better on multi-processor systems and scales nicely for users as they grow with Quicken adding multiple investment accounts.  This use case is very real in the US due to tax laws that require separate tax-deferred accounts per person in each household. As is my case, Husband and wife each have one or more IRA, 401k, SEP-IRA, Roth-IRA and Brokerage accounts held by different financial institutions. 

The pattern I'm expressing above is a commonplace best-practice for macOS and iOS application developers and has been for quite some time, especially as the market continues to produce processors with more cores at the same clock speed versus the prior thrust of faster fewer cores - developers have to adapt to using multiple cores to ensure their applications are performant. 

Bottom-line:  As a long-time Quicken user, I am excited by the fact that the new Quicken team is investing in the Mac Product and am more than happy to pay an annual subscription for a feature-rich high-quality product.  It is pretty clear that the team has been working tirelessly to separate their backend cloud from Intuit and to prepare the 5.2 release in parallel. The macOS product is finally advancing again but users will be turned off by the product if they become frustrated by glaring performance bottlenecks and my point is, that simply shouldn't happen if Quicken leverages Apple's SDKs to perform parallel operations in the background which is commonplace in all apps these days.  I certainly wouldn't take the time to provide this feedback if I didn't think it was important to Quicken on macOS's future. ;)

All of that said, I don't have any thing more to add this issue or thread at this point.  I will be happy to discuss this offline or test pre-release performance improvement updates if that adds value or helps.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I know of no other software package that forces updates on the user. Well, one does come to mind: Dish Network. But they are running firmware on their own equipment. And, partially because of this, they have a horrible reputation for their software and customer support.

I don't buy the easier to support argument. Not that I don't believe it may reduce a bit of their support cost. I just think the tradeoff is completely unjustified.

It is not their decision to force updates on me. I pay for the software, it should be up to me. When Quicken can guarantee with absolute certainty that they will never release an update that has any flaw in it, then I'll accept this. But that is NEVER going to happen. I cannot count how many times I've delayed updating Quicken only to see many user complaints and issues with the update; and then to be so glad I waited until the .2 or .3 or .4 release.

Here's what you see if you try to cancel the update:

No way to run the program without updating. And it doesn't even tell you what is being changed.

I simply cannot express how angry and disappointed I am with Quicken over this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

From the quicken.com Mac website:

Get the latest features without the upgrade hassle
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think I only need the Deluxe version right now. If I decide I want the Premier version later, is there an upgrade path?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Unconfirmed
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

Does the 2018 version for Mac enable for investment transactions? In the past if you wanted to move from Quicken for Mac to Quicken for Windows you could not export investment transactions, only bank accounts, credit cards etc.  

You will be very hard pressed to convert your Quicken Mac data to use in Quicken Windows.  It's a long arduous path.

BTW, Quicken Mac 2017 has investment transactions and support for investment accounts.  So, not sure what you'd be looking for in Quicken Mac 2018.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jonathan said:

I am chained to the Mac version since it has all my investment history. I would like to change to Windows, any Quicken for windows version but I can't unless I start from scratch with my investment data.
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Sorry if this is a repeat question. How long with Quicken 2017 Mac continue to fully function (including downloads from financial institutions)?

Thank's @RickO and I'm glad to see 2017 lives into 2020; time to see how 2018 and 5.2.x works out.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

Okay, you're right, it is a huge giant humongous hassle to have to click the Update button when a new release comes out. Yes, that was sarcasm.

That statement on the website has absolutely nothing to do with this. That is referring to version year upgrades as in the past. Not in-program updates. 

Here's another issue with this "policy". What if you have a very slow internet connection at the moment, or you are temporarily on a data-limited connection such as cellphone tether. You cannot even make manual entries or reference your data without "spending" the bandwidth to download the update. Or the long time it would take on a slow connection. Or what if your internet is down. It appears the program will not even launch now without an internet connection. Again, no way to refer to your data or make manual entries in this situation.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Should we save Quicken for Mac, 17?
  • Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

I don't see what the complaint is using Deluxe 2018. I couldn't find the sorting by columns the first time I tried but "total" line stays at top of list. If "Group by" is used, then there is a total for the group followed by members of the group sorted as they should be, then a total for the next group followed by that group sorted properly. Perfectly as might be expected especially since one can collapse a group by clicking the widget preceding the group name.
  • RickO
    edited October 2017
    Options

I would.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

Rick will you be running both QM17 & QM18 for awhile or do you bite the bullet & go to QM18 full board?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

I think I only need the Deluxe version right now. If I decide I want the Premier version later, is there an upgrade path?

kathryn mentioned in a previous thread that there would be no issues converting QM deluxe data file to premier.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

"It appears the program will not even launch now without an internet connection." Hard to believe this is true. I hope you are mistaken, but it is Quicken and they have a history of stupid decisions. If this is true it is another deal breaker for me.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

In agreement with you i.e. Dish Network. I am suffering with their product at present 
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When I started Quicken for Mac 2017 4.6.6 a little while ago I got the message to upgrade to Quicken 2018. I am not ready to update so I closed the upgrade dialog and plan on upgrading later. However, when I started quicken the next time I did not get the upgrade dialog and did not get it by selecting "Check for updates" from the menu.

How do I get the upgrade dialog back to be able to upgrade when ready? 

• Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When you upgrade to Quicken 2018 from Quicken 2017 for Mac does the Quicken 2017 product have to be manually removed after the upgrade?

My guess is yes it will have to be manually removed?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

When I started Quicken for Mac 2017 4.6.6 a little while ago I got the message to upgrade to Quicken 2018. I am not ready to update so I closed the upgrade dialog and plan on upgrading later. However, when I started quicken the next time I did not get the upgrade dialog and did not get it by selecting "Check for updates" from the menu.

Pretty sure if you reboot your machine it will come up for you; regardless rest assured it will find its way back over to you 
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

I got the following dialogimage

Maybe quicken has changed the upgrade to make it optional?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, so good using Premier; I really like some of the improvements. Since you asked for bugs I have a trivial one... In the portfolio view of investment accounts, there is the ability to sort securities by whichever columns you have shown. The issue is, when sorting by anything other than the name, it sorts the "Total" line with it, which more often than not puts it somewhere in the middle. 

So if you were to sort by symbol for example, it ends up like this:

ABC $100
    TOTAL $175
    XYZ $75

Certainly a minor issue, but annoying enough that I thought I'd let you know! :) 

Tom, do you mind sorting by gain/loss, or something else that lists numbers for each security and totals them up to see what happens? Maybe it is a Premier issue. Here is an example of what I get when I sorted "Gian/Loss 1-month (%)." Notice the Total row in the middle of the securities list.image
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

Reboot did not bring it back. I am sure it will find its way back (maybe daily for a while), but I would prefer to trigger the update dialog when ready.
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thank you. I'll have to try to find that thread. However, I wasn't speaking of data file conversion, I was thinking of cost of upgrading. In other words, hopefully I can upgrade for some amount less than buying a whole new 1 or 2 year subscription.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Is Amazon's 2-year subscription with benefits (slightly lower per-year price and 15GB of Dropbox) really only available on CD/DVD?  I haven't owned a optical drive in years.

Yes, in the box along with the physical CD there is a URL and activation code for you to get Quicken.  We don't currently support Amazon digital download of the software.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bigevil said:

how does the dropbox backup work? image

Beside the question of if you can combine the extra space with an existing account, I see nothing in the link provided that tells the user/Dropbox that you are a Quicken customer that should get extra space.  It just says to sign up for the free Dropbox.

What "triggers" the user getting the extra space?

Note the reason I ask is because of this user asking on this thread (they are using Windows, but it should be similar):
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/dropbox-confusion?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=19044699#reply_19044699
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

i am unable to speak to the cost issues; hopefully the folks from Quicken can reply to you on the $$$'s
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Zoolook said:

I've been waiting for multi-currency on the Mac version since before Essentials came out. It's the main reason I keep a VM on my Mac.

Will the migration from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac maintain the transfers from USD to GBP accounts?

I checked in our bug database and this issue is there so it's not unnoticed.  Personally, I just wasn't aware of it.  I think on import we'll see if we can break the link and make them 2 separate transactions so at least the balance stays the same.  The problem is that Quicken Mac fundamentally in its core doesn't support linked transfers between accounts of different currencies and changing this is a really big deal.  We'll have to make the change eventually but it's not something that will happen overnight.
This discussion has been closed.