Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Options

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

Is anyone else having QuickenCloud issues since upgrading to 5.4.1?  I am getting it every time I try to update my accounts.  I've waited longer than the hour and rebooted and tried multiple things but I'm still getting the error.

Check in Preferences > Mobile & Alerts and make sure that any accounts that should not be synced are not checked. (There was a similar issue reported above.)

You may also want to try clicking the blue reset link in Connected Services.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    D H Grif said:

I am using 2018 for MAC. The budgeting does not work. Even editing will not list all the income or expenses. It is totally worthless. I have used Quicken for over twenty years. This is by far the most frustrating issue I have ever come across. 

:-D lol

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

Is anyone else having QuickenCloud issues since upgrading to 5.4.1?  I am getting it every time I try to update my accounts.  I've waited longer than the hour and rebooted and tried multiple things but I'm still getting the error.

Thanks RickO.  I did double check that before posting.  I haven't tried to Reset the connected services as the ConnectLogs.txt file shows "unable to login" error.  So resetting it won't work since it can't connect to reset it in the first place.  Appreciate the response. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

So as an update to this it appears to be only impacting my bank accounts.  Credit cards, investment accounts and anything non-bank specific seem to be downloading fine and connecting to the QuickenCloud.  The error is still there though and I can't seem to get rid of it.  I did try to reset my Connected Services and that did not fix it either.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    since the update payments made to another account are showing up as payments instead of deposits.  An example would be the primary checking pays a credit card account but the payment shows up on the credit card account as a payment as well. This appears to be affecting scheduled transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

Update.....  I changed from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect and my issues completely went away.  So at this point I've resolved my own problem but had to go through a lot of hoops with this new version that I haven't had to do before.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Interesting times with the release of the Canadian version...Thx.

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    I'm going to throw in what I think I'm hearing, and some things I think need to be asked here.

smayer97's #1 above, (expanded a bit).

Say you a Canadian license in your Quicken account.  You now will have access to the installs for Canadian versions of Window and Mac.  And note that the Canadian Windows install is different than the US one.  But if I'm not mistaken the Mac install is actually the same as the US version.  The Mac side is using the license to decide Canadian or US "behavior".  (But maybe I have this wrong and it something in the Mac install, and the license that behavior.)

Say instead you have an US license in your Quicken account.  You have access to the US Windows and Mac installs.  Again again the "behavior" is keyed off the license in the case of Mac, and Windows it a "different"/branched version that is very close, but not just changing based on the license (I might have this wrong too, and it would be very good news if it isn't branch, but is switched by the license.)

Given the above i will guess that any given Quicken account, can't have both a Canadian and US license at the same time.  One would have to be using different accounts/Quicken Ids.

Note to me it is very clear that this isn't something that the user can switch on and off in the program.

On #2, it seems Marcus already answered this one:
    We are NOT changing the account access based on the membership so both
    US and Canadian accounts will be available to both US and Canadian
    customers. 
    On #4, I would think the person would be buying the Canadian Home & Business membership level to get the priority service, not any US version.  Note that means they would have Canadian Windows Home & Business, and Canadian Mac Deluxe editions.

Perhaps one could buy the US Premier version or above and still get premium support for the Canadian versions they have, but that implies they have a need for both the US and Canadian versions.

Now for "my questions":
    Which basically came to my mind when I was posting/reading this:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-canada-mac-vs-windows

How good is the multiple currency support at this point?

Did anyone give a thought to the conversion from Quicken Canadian Windows to Quicken Canadian Mac?  (how good is it?)

Note, I expect the Mac to Windows to be the same disaster it has been for years.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Interesting times with the release of the Canadian version...Thx.

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    so one thing is clear...the decision for a Canadian user has gotten very complicated to navigate, as the Quicken site does not help as it is now. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

I use Quicken for Mac 2018 and my last update was v5.4.0.  I had to reconfigure my Mac and the latest release on Quicken's site is v5.3.2.  Using v5.3.2, I cannot load my data file and Quicken tell me that I have the latest version (v5.3.2).  Where can I download v5.4.0?
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Jeff said:

JohnC... Quicken releases just a few thousand updates and then stops until it's clear there are no show stoppers. (Many software companies do this.) 

Do you use Time Machine or other backup software? If so, you should be able to recover a backup of the 5.4.x version. If you have it installed on another machine, you can move it to this one. If none of these apply, then you will need to contact Quicken Support or just wait a few days until 5.4.x is fully released.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just downloaded the update 5.4.2. Looks like the column width modification appear to be working. Quicken is indeed remembering the widths I selected. Wondering if Marcus had a chance to review some of the bill & income issues RickO, QPW & I discussed a few weeks ago.  
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options

Just downloaded the update 5.4.2. Looks like the column width modification appear to be working. Quicken is indeed remembering the widths I selected. Wondering if Marcus had a chance to review some of the bill & income issues RickO, QPW & I discussed a few weeks ago.  

Not sure which column widths you're referring to, but my 5.4.2 still does not remember column widths for New Reports.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options

I was referring to the column width in the PV. 
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I just downloaded 5.4.2.  I know Marcus stated we would temporarily lose ability in Comparison Reports to drill down to register, but I noticed we also lost the ability to automatically show memos when clicking on categories. I can customize to show memo/notes but I have to do it each time I select a category.  Moreover, memos from split transactions don't appear at all.  For me, individually, the old Comparison Report was more useable.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options

Guess I spoke too soon, in the PV  switching from portfolio value to realized gains..Quicken does not remember the column widths .
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 

This is unlike any financial software I've ever used
    Have you every used Quicken Windows?  :-)

It was changed to be like that maybe 5 to 10 years ago.

It in fact works best with the GUI controls that are generally available.
    As in they are using a "tree" GUI element.

It means that if you have say Auto with two sub categories under it.
    You can collapse the "tree" at Auto and still see its total.

In Quicken Windows at least this is used in many places like the account bar, the budget, reports, ...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

May be great for screen but in print format and for sharing, e.g. with accountants, etc. Subtotals is still the norm. I see people complain on the Windows side too...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

Yeah.  In fact I believe VolvoGirl resisted updating for years for that very reason.

But I wonder on how you take care of the problem with collapsing the sub fields.  I will probably have to install an old version of Quicken and see how it was done.

I do pretty much guarantee that at this point it is changed and not an option there will be a lot of complaints for the other side of this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

Well I jumped back to Quicken 2007, and it hasn't changed in all these years.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

OK Quicken 2004 has it that way.  The price you pay?
    You can't collapse any section of the report.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

I never used Quicken Windows, only Mac. And legacy Quicken Mac (2007 and earlier) had subtotals (non-collapsable) on the bottom, not top. I've used about five other financial software programs for my work and other organizations where I've helped with finances, and again, never seen subtotals above the data they total. And certainly if you look at any company financial reports, they subtotal at the bottom of the data.

And there's no reason a trailing subtotal or grand total couldn't have an expand/collapse triangle next to it to do exactly what the software does now, except with the totals on the bottom instead of the top. (For a number of reports I do for my company, built in Excel, they're exactly like that: line items followed by a subtotal/total, with the rows grouped so they can be collapsed to show only the subtotal/total or expanded to show the detail rows.)

Perhaps my best hope is for a user-selectable option. I use the database Filemaker Pro, and when budding a report, subtotals and grand totals can be positioned to be either leading or trailing. If there could be such an option in Quicken, then existing users wouldn't care, and those of us who prefer typically-formatted financial reports could have them at the click of a preference button. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

And there's no reason a trailing subtotal or grand total couldn't have
    an expand/collapse triangle next to it to do exactly what the software
    does now, except with the totals on the bottom instead of the top.
    Yes there is.  The people writing Quicken don't create new widgets/GUI elements.  They use "tool kits" written by "tool developers" like Microsoft.

The "tree control" is a commonly used control.  You see it everywhere, in programs and file and web browsers and on and on.

You will never see it "opening upwards".  I don't know about the Mac tool kit (or whatever tool kit the Mac developers are using), but on the Windows side there isn't such an option for the tree control.

So that control would have to be custom built or they would have to find tool kit that does support it, and do it in a report, that supports graphs and printing and all the rest.

Far from a trivial request.

Switch between top/collapsible and bottom/non collapsible would be a much more reasonable request.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Entering a *credit* transaction with cents, the cents portions is discarded upon entry. This is a rather annoying bug.

Steps to reproduce:
    0. Change currency to EUR and regional format to French.
    1. Create a new transaction.
    2. Set the amount to, for example, +3000,12
    3. Press enter. The transactions is registered, but the amount has been converted to (green) 3000,00
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have come across a few bugs around scheduled transactions with a non-monthly schedule... Maybe the refactoring currently in progress will be an opportunity to fix these? Details below.

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new scheduled transaction in Bills & Income
    2. Set schedule to be twice a year, for example on 20 July 2017 and 20 December 2017
    3. Save
    4. Reopen the scheduled transactions : the schedule has been converted from twice a year to yearly.

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Do the same as above, but from one of the registered account this time.
    2. Save.
    3. Reopen from Bills & Income : the transaction shows as yearly instead of twice a year.

BUG 3
    1. Do the same as bug 2, but reopen the transaction from the register this time.
    2. Save.
    3. The transaction disappears and a dialog shows: "Transaction cannot be displayed in this filtered view." But there are no filters currently in place ! The transaction also no longer appears in Bills & Income. Has it been deleted completely? It is still lurking somewhere?
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    There is a formatting issue for Mortgages when the currency is Euro. See for example below the gibberish character next to the Principal and Interest amounts.

imageimage
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There is also a formatting issue in reports for All Transactions. Notice below how HTML spaces ( ) are visible :

• RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have come across a few bugs around scheduled transactions with a non-monthly schedule... Maybe the refactoring currently in progress will be an opportunity to fix these? Details below.

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new scheduled transaction in Bills & Income
    2. Set schedule to be twice a year, for example on 20 July 2017 and 20 December 2017
    3. Save
    4. Reopen the scheduled transactions : the schedule has been converted from twice a year to yearly.

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Do the same as above, but from one of the registered account this time.
    2. Save.
    3. Reopen from Bills & Income : the transaction shows as yearly instead of twice a year.

BUG 3
    1. Do the same as bug 2, but reopen the transaction from the register this time.
    2. Save.
    3. The transaction disappears and a dialog shows: "Transaction cannot be displayed in this filtered view." But there are no filters currently in place ! The transaction also no longer appears in Bills & Income. Has it been deleted completely? It is still lurking somewhere?

That last one means that you don't have the register set to display scheduled transactions far enough out.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Options

There is also a formatting issue in reports for All Transactions. Notice below how HTML spaces ( ) are visible :

This has been reported elsewhere already. Program doesn't deal correctly when the currency symbol follows the amount. You can either live with it or change your currency settings for now. You should report using menu Help > Report a Problem so that the more reports, the more likely it will get fixed.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

What's best for reporting? Quicken indeed has the menu Help > Report a Problem, but I remember Marcus requesting to post here.
This discussion has been closed.