Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pauldv172 said:

I am trying to do an online transfer from my checking account to may saving account.  When I hit pay now, I get a message: 
    Wells Fargo Bank cannot deliver your payment to Transfer For Save For by 02/03/18 because that date falls on a weekend or holiday.  The date will be changed to 02/05/18.

I clicked ok but it will not change the date nor will it let me manually change the date.  I have to cancel the transaction.

Thanks for reporting this.  I'm still working my way through these.  Transfers are very different than bill pay.  I'm guessing we didn't fully get the transfer case 100% correct.  I'll have our developer investigate.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RickO said:
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Ugh.  We'll take a look.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

I just updated quicken to v5.5.0 and now it crashes when I run it on my Mac (OS X 10.13.3).  Are you aware of this?

There appears to be a crash on launch if one Quits Quicken while on an investing group register where an investment account was deleted.   I'm not sure if this is the situation you've run into but this is one we're seeing in our crash logs.  25 people have hit this issue so it's pretty rare but definitely a bad experience if you run into.  By the way, opening a backup file can sometimes fix a number of file open issues because it the zip format fixes file permission issues.  You can hold down the shift key while opening Quicken which disables opening the current file and then open the backup file.  We have a fix for the investment group register issue and will start to test it tomorrow.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

I just updated quicken to v5.5.0 and now it crashes when I run it on my Mac (OS X 10.13.3).  Are you aware of this?

There appears to be a crash on launch if one Quits Quicken while on an investing group register where an investment account was deleted.   I'm not sure if this is the situation you've run into but this is one we're seeing in our crash logs.  25 people have hit this issue so it's pretty rare but definitely a bad experience if you run into.  By the way, opening a backup file can sometimes fix a number of file open issues because it the zip format fixes file permission issues.  You can hold down the shift key while opening Quicken which disables opening the current file and then open the backup file.  We have a fix for the investment group register issue and will start to test it tomorrow.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Playing around with the bills & income section , cleaned up list of payees that no longer need to be  in the bills & income section, ran into one payee that QM would not allow deleting ; the alert claims its a duplicate payee, A payee with this name already exists. Each payee must have a unique name. Does not make sense as I note only one payee with this name in list of payees. Any ideas will be appreciated.

That's weird.  Agree that the error message should only appear when creating a payee.  RickO thanks for providing the suggested workaround.  I'm not sure how to repro the issue but if anyone can get their payees in this state again, let me know so we can track down the issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Backup file with 5.5.0 is much quicker; Just one question ,I note the size of the backed up datafile is  2X the size of the previous file backed up with 5.4.4. very strange to observe. Did I somehow duplicate the file in the datafile? 

You guys hit it on the nose.  There are always trade-offs with these types of things.  One of the ways we were able to speed this up was to lower the compression which means the backup files won't be as small as they used to be.  You can of course compress it again to try to make them smaller.  We also auto-delete files and age them out.  This code was also not very efficient and we made that a lot faster too.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Backup file with 5.5.0 is much quicker; Just one question ,I note the size of the backed up datafile is  2X the size of the previous file backed up with 5.4.4. very strange to observe. Did I somehow duplicate the file in the datafile? 

You guys hit it on the nose.  There are always trade-offs with these types of things.  One of the ways we were able to speed this up was to lower the compression which means the backup files won't be as small as they used to be.  You can of course compress it again to try to make them smaller.  We also auto-delete files and age them out.  This code was also not very efficient and we made that a lot faster too.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

The new Bills & Income looks good. Further food for thought:

• CategoryTag and Memo should have their own columns. So should the Frequency, for example bi-monthly (the next date is generally not enough).
    • Double-clicking anywhere in a row should popup a dialog asking whether to Edit Payee, Schedule or Detail (similar behavior to double-clicking a Scheduled Transaction in a Register). This has the merit that you can double-click anywhere where the cursor already is, rather than having to move the cursor to the blue-ellipsis button, which requires a precise hand movement because of its (small) size.
    • I often find myself having to edit at least 2 of: Payee, Schedule and Details. Number of operations necessary:
      • 1 to move to the blue button
      • 1 to click on the blue button
      • 1 to select Edit Schedule
      • 1 to click Save
      • 1 to click on the Blue button again
      • 1 to click Save
      • 1 in addition if you wanted to show the Tag or Memo fields
      • TOTAL : 7 clicks (in addition to the operation you really wanted to perform).
    • I think this says it all. There are simply too many clicks to get to the work needing done.
    Great ideas John.  We'll give them some thought.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options

Playing around with the bills & income section , cleaned up list of payees that no longer need to be  in the bills & income section, ran into one payee that QM would not allow deleting ; the alert claims its a duplicate payee, A payee with this name already exists. Each payee must have a unique name. Does not make sense as I note only one payee with this name in list of payees. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Marcus, I have used the above workaround trick in the past to delete a payee that Quicken erroneously thinks has pending online transactions, or to modify the (normally) unchangeable name or account number of an already-used online payee. I wonder if payee deletion was being prevented in this case because of an erroneous pending online transaction and for some reason the error message coming up was swapped with the proper one.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options

Marcus,

My active database is 198.6 MB. I just did a backup and it comes in at 198.7 MB, slightly larger. If your intent was that there still be some level of compression, perhaps that setting needs to be tweaked?
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are there any plans to fix the multi-currency issues on the Mac version (conversion from Windows and the lack of ability to set an exchange rate for each transaction)?
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I need assistance in resolving a very significant quantity of Orphan Transfers when upgrading from Quicken Mac 2007

Here's another posting I recently made - also, here is one from 3 years ago when I was involved in the 2015 beta test.  The issue appears to be related to transfers that have a class assigned to them; it seems to break all the transactions in the same split.

I don't know what is wrong with my 2007 data file but there's clearly something specific to me since many others don't seem to be having this issue on the scale that I have.

I finally bit the bullet and bought 2018 this past weekend - this issue has to be resolved or regrettably, I'll have no choice but to return it.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jsurpless said:

I need assistance in resolving a very significant quantity of Orphan Transfers when upgrading from Quicken Mac 2007

Here's another posting I recently made - also, here is one from 3 years ago when I was involved in the 2015 beta test.  The issue appears to be related to transfers that have a class assigned to them; it seems to break all the transactions in the same split.

I don't know what is wrong with my 2007 data file but there's clearly something specific to me since many others don't seem to be having this issue on the scale that I have.

I finally bit the bullet and bought 2018 this past weekend - this issue has to be resolved or regrettably, I'll have no choice but to return it.

Splitting from other thread.

Please reference the new conversation here: QMac: Orphan Transfers
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I posted this question: QM2018, After purchase of new stock no Add transaction cost? here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qm2018-after-purchase-of-new-stock-no-add-transa... I am crossposting it in case it is a bug. "Since I just upgraded from QM2017 to QM2018 with 5.5 I can't be sure if this is a change in behavior for QM2018, or a bug in 5.5. A new stock purchase was executed today. In the past I have always gotten the "Add" menu as soon as a purchase appeared in the Portfolio view. Today's transaction appeared, but without a Cost Basis or an "Add" button. It also does not appear in the Transactions. In the past it would also appear at the beginning of Transactions."
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Since we have a cloud connected Quicken app for our iPhones and iPads, will we soon be able to write and print checks from these devices?

I'm not the product manager for mobile but my guess is that checks would not be a high priority but please feel free to make it an IDEA and vote it up.  Why the low priority?  This is because the mobile apps are focused on millennials and new users who have never seen a check much less considered printing one.  :-).  They are a different bunch.  I do think you could make an argument that people are moving away from laptops and moving toward tablets so a tablet should have the full functionality as a desktop app and we may get there but that won't happen for awhile. I like the idea though so definitely keep proposing the features that would make your Quicken experience better.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

If either Concordman or RickO has a backup of the data file before using the work-around, this may help...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options

I did not see the bizarre error message myself. I have only used the workaround for the other reasons I stated and even then, the last time was quite some time ago. So no backups available for me. But perhaps C-man will have one.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options

I do not have one, just followed the instructions per Rick 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Quicken Marcus please take a look at these threads regarding orphan transfer transactions created during import of QM2007 data:
    QMac: Orphan Transfers

Quicken Mac 2007 => Quicken Mac 2018 - Orphaned Transfers

Migrating From Quicken 2007 - Orphaned Transfers

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Gilles said:

Tax schedule does not work correctly, it will not show results of Capital gains/losses from Canadian dollars brokerage accounts
    it only shows the ones form USD brokerage accounts
    My main currency is Canadian dollar, even if I set up Canadian, US or both
    the results are wrong in tax schedule ( not showing any Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts results)

Thanks
  • michael1212
    michael1212 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions Still loose ta info in ver 5.5.0.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions still loose Tag Info in Ver 5.5.0.Just upgraded to Ver 5.5.0 (Q 2018 for Mac).  Was excited to read in the update notes that an issue I had reported was fixed where Tag Info in a Transactions Report was lost if the transaction is Split.  

However, it appears that this issue is still not fixed in latest version.  Split transactions still acquire three dots (...) in place of where the Tag info should be.  Even stranger, when copy and pasted into Excel, transactions that are split in Quicken now have \u2026 assigned as the Tag.  

This is an example of the Transaction Report in Quicken.  Hardware purchases are split transactions.  As you can see, they acquire three dots for the tag.  In the register, these 
    transactions have the appropriate tags assigned.  

This is a copy/paste into Excel...in this case, the split transaction of $38.00 acquires a \u2026 tag.  

Unless I am missing something, this issue appears not to be resolved in ver 5.5.0.  Appreciate your attention to this matter...

Michael

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released.
  • Margaret
    Margaret Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Immediately after updating to 5.5 (as in, I did the update, and then relaunched right away) Quicken Mac has been incredibly slow, i.e. the worst ever. I didn't see anyone else commenting on that in this thread. Any suggestions? It's close to unusable.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

I've started using the new Unassigned Tax Item feature... but I have a question : are they supposed to appear in the Tax Schedule Report ? Should they not ?

RCinNJ, it's still not quite clear to me how I can obtain a report that contains transactions whose category is Tax Related and whose (tax) category is Unassigned Tax Item.

Is this at all possible?
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Bills & Home, I have some additional requests:
    • The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • In my experience, the most sensible default filter is Next One Due
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Is there any hope at all of Quicken Mac ever supporting T Rowe Price Mutual Funds? Quicken Windows supports them, and has for a long time. I can't use the Mac product until it is supported. Any hope?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

I've started using the new Unassigned Tax Item feature... but I have a question : are they supposed to appear in the Tax Schedule Report ? Should they not ?

John, I don't see how to do what you are asking either.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

@marcus, shouldn't this be the Alt Option key instead of the Shift key, to be macOS friendly ?

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Bills & Home, I have some additional requests:

• The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • In my experience, the most sensible default filter is Next One Due
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
    As they said, the Search bar has disappeared in the Sea...
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

BTW, it is the OPT key with QM2007...

This discussion has been closed.