Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released

Options

Comments

• Andrew Harris
    Andrew Harris Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My attempt to install this update has failed for weeks now.  I keep getting the following message in a popup window after I authorize Install and Relaunch: "Failed to perform authenticated file move for Quicken.app"  I have no idea what this is referring to.  Any ideas? Anyone else have problems with the install?  Does the fact that my downloads are to my Google Drive causing an issue?
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Bills & Home, I have some additional requests:

• The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • In my experience, the most sensible default filter is Next One Due
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
    RickO, thanks, this is most reassuring !
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options

My attempt to install this update has failed for weeks now.  I keep getting the following message in a popup window after I authorize Install and Relaunch: "Failed to perform authenticated file move for Quicken.app"  I have no idea what this is referring to.  Any ideas? Anyone else have problems with the install?  Does the fact that my downloads are to my Google Drive causing an issue?

It sounds like maybe you are not logged into an admin account and macOS is therefore preventing changes to the Applications folder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Like the Update. 
    I am a Canadian user, who bought the application from US site. I tried to contact Support to change my account to Canada before, but it has not been done for some reason. 
    Now looks like Quicken can detect my location, and promote me to change from 401K to RRSP, etc.
    Exactly what I want.

Great job and Thanks!

I think it's important to continue the separation of unrealized Gain/Loss (a future capital gains tax issue) vs Interest (or Dividends) which is a different kind of taxable income. I think what you may be looking for is better expressed in the time-based performance measures for your security (and account): IRR and ROI.  These measures take total returns (gain/loss and income over time) into account.
  • Brendan
    Brendan Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pauldv172 said:

I am trying to do an online transfer from my checking account to may saving account.  When I hit pay now, I get a message: 
    Wells Fargo Bank cannot deliver your payment to Transfer For Save For by 02/03/18 because that date falls on a weekend or holiday.  The date will be changed to 02/05/18.

I clicked ok but it will not change the date nor will it let me manually change the date.  I have to cancel the transaction.

This seems to be fixed with the 5.5.2 update.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

I posted this question: QM2018, After purchase of new stock no Add transaction cost? here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qm2018-after-purchase-of-new-stock-no-add-transa... I am crossposting it in case it is a bug. "Since I just upgraded from QM2017 to QM2018 with 5.5 I can't be sure if this is a change in behavior for QM2018, or a bug in 5.5. A new stock purchase was executed today. In the past I have always gotten the "Add" menu as soon as a purchase appeared in the Portfolio view. Today's transaction appeared, but without a Cost Basis or an "Add" button. It also does not appear in the Transactions. In the past it would also appear at the beginning of Transactions."

I think I am seeing a new defect as a result of the change in behaviour re importing new $0 stock purchase transactions.  My brokerage associates the entire cost of a new purchase with the whole number of shares purchased.  Any fractional shares are later added to the account a few days later as a $0 buy.  Before Quicken 5.5, these would show up properly in the Portfolio view as 2 separate new lots (whole and fractional).  However, when importing after QM 5.5, while both transactions are present in the transaction view, the separate $0 fractional share purchase does not show in the Portfolio view in the overall share balance, nor in the detail breakout of purchased lots.  I believe this only happens if the $0 fractional purchase is the last lot purchased.  To fix this, I manually went into the transaction register and assigned a $1 purchase value to the buy, saved the transaction, then went back and zeroed out the price.  I can now see the $0 fractional share purchase in the portfolio view and the share balances are once again correct.  Why is this happening?  Note there were no placeholders generated on import that could have caused this behaviour.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    In the Home -> Overview -> Net Income graph, QM properly includes all sources of income and expense to show a complete net income view month-to-month across all accounts (i.e. banking, investment, property & debt). If you click on the bar for a given month, you navigate to the "All Transactions" view showing Spending and Income for the same selected month.  However, the list of Income transactions is not complete - it only includes banking transactions and is missing Investment income transactions, which is inconsistent relative to the Net Income graph.  Would it be possible to augment the "All Transactions" Income and Spending views to match what is included in the Net Income graph, so that Net Income = Income - Spending (or more generally, Expense)?
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pauldv172 said:

Confused on Bill Pay.  I just paid my Electric bill.  It is a variable payment. Now the future bill shows due in 38 days--does not show a pdf-- but ACTION states PAY NOW.  Why would it say PAY NOW?  Should say Waiting or something like that.

Also, would want to see the PDF before I pay the bill.  I want to look at it for correctness before I pay it.

I am sorry,  But this process totally baffles me.  I have my Verizon set to track bills.  Now I want to pay the bill-- I click on the 3 dots-- get menu and click pay with bill pay. Now I have to go through a bunch of screens.  Pick Verizon --NEXT- wait for it to find the account--NEXT then pay.  Also, the category is not filled in.  Its a recurring payment.. it should remember the category. I paid the bill.  then I get a screen that says success.   "Would you like to set up a Recurring reminder for this Bill?  Buttons say Track or Don't Track.  Should be yet or no. 
    The bill I paid is still showing as due in 12 days and another bill has be added for the next month.  How to I get rid of the one due in 12 days.

This Bills and Income update totally missed the boat.  Use the same logic as the old Q13 windows.  That worked good when I used to use it.  Why reinvent the wheel and come out with a block?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Hi Marcus, 

This may not be the proper place to post this specific bank related issue here. But we have the issue for months now.

The issue is President's Choice Financial changed their name to Simplii Financial. Quicken added Simplii to its bank list, but did not remove President's Choice Financial from bank list. 
    And this causes the trouble for us! 

Why? I guess because Simplii and President's Choice Financial is the same bank with same Quick Bank ID,

If you need more details of the issue we have, I can post some screenshots. But how about just ask one of your developers search for <INTU.BID>00024 in your bank list. I believe they will find multiple entries, and they will see what is going on.

Thanks,

Thanks.  I think this is all I need.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

• The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
    I stand corrected.  Search didn't work though or did it?  John, thanks for the suggestions.  I'll document these so they won't get lost.  Concordman, let us know if it doesn't work for you.  It simply updates the scheduled transaction model so it should show up the same in the register as it does in the Bills & income view. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Is this a Quicken message or a MacOS message? I think you might be on to something with the Google Drive question.  We see a number of weird issues with file locking that occurs on data files and we think they are related to cloud drive services or virus checkers.  Definitely, try to move the Quicken file to someplace else and see if that helps. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

In the Home -> Overview -> Net Income graph, QM properly includes all sources of income and expense to show a complete net income view month-to-month across all accounts (i.e. banking, investment, property & debt). If you click on the bar for a given month, you navigate to the "All Transactions" view showing Spending and Income for the same selected month.  However, the list of Income transactions is not complete - it only includes banking transactions and is missing Investment income transactions, which is inconsistent relative to the Net Income graph.  Would it be possible to augment the "All Transactions" Income and Spending views to match what is included in the Net Income graph, so that Net Income = Income - Spending (or more generally, Expense)?

Let me investigate more.  I thought this was an issue with how our investment transactions architecturally work (or don't work) but now I'm thinking it may be a bug.  Let me get back to you.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Thanks Marcus.  Two thoughts:

a) From the outside, QM seems to have the infra to support this properly.  For instance, a pop-up on the Net Income chart displays # of transactions & net total $ when you hover over a month bar.  From this info I can deduce that it includes transactions from all account types: Banking, Investing, Property & Debt.  In addition the "All Transactions -> Transactions" view can show transactions from all accounts.  It just seems that the "All Transactions -> Spending / Income" views are showing only a subset of the transactions (and/or a subset of the accounts) even though the filters are set to "All Accounts".  Specifically, the Spending and Income views seem to be missing expense and income transactions from both Property & Debt and Investing accounts. These views would be much more useful if the # of Spending transactions + # of Income transactions = # of Net Income transactions (from the pop up on the Net Income graph).  Same thing goes for the $ amounts.  Note that I cannot easily get Spending vs. Income transaction details from the "All Transactions -> Transactions" view, since other transaction types not included in the Net Income chart clutter that view (e.g. Transfers, Buy/Sell transactions, Add/Remove Shares, etc). Easy to use Spending vs. Income transaction views (with category pie charts) are very useful as long as they are complete and consistent.

b) Lastly, a related but perhaps more complicated issue is that of Reinvested Dividends Interest, & Gains.  The Net Income chart (and Income view) ignores those transactions and does not classify the underlying Dividend, Interest, or Gain as income, even though it truly is income - just not cash income.  Also, the Category window does not currently classify these as income - the type is blank.  However, reinvested investment transactions are really the same as a Dividend/Interest/Gain payout followed by a buy transaction.  The question is:  What is the Net Income chart meant to show: a) a true net income view, or b) a cash net income view?

Hopefully part a) of this issue could be solved relatively easily, while part b) may require more thought and consideration, as well as feedback from other users.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

@marcus, it did not work, i.e. nothing happened when I pressed entered, at least in Bills and Income, because I did not use Projected Balances.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

From an infrastructure point of view, the thing that limits both the income and spending view is that it continues to use the logic from the old Quicken Essentials days which didn't have the concept of income and expense categories.  It's looking purely at positive or negative values in amounts which may not be clear if they are investment transactions.  I'm not sure but it does look like a filtering issue as you point out in your point A.  We'll have to see what we find when we get under-the-hood and look at those views.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Hi Marcus, 

This may not be the proper place to post this specific bank related issue here. But we have the issue for months now.

The issue is President's Choice Financial changed their name to Simplii Financial. Quicken added Simplii to its bank list, but did not remove President's Choice Financial from bank list. 
    And this causes the trouble for us! 

Why? I guess because Simplii and President's Choice Financial is the same bank with same Quick Bank ID,

If you need more details of the issue we have, I can post some screenshots. But how about just ask one of your developers search for <INTU.BID>00024 in your bank list. I believe they will find multiple entries, and they will see what is going on.

Thanks,

Just so you know, we sent email to Intuit today to ask for this to be changed. Intuit is still our account aggregator and handles this type of stuff for us.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Marcus, please see this thread:

quicken
    mac 2018 5.5 slow

With the update to the portfolio graph, it is now being processed while in the transactions view which is resulting in massive slowdown while viewing and entering investment transactions if the graph was unhidden. Hiding the graph resolves the issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Quicken Marcus. I've brought this up before as a problem, and spent time on the phone with support to no avail, so this is admittedly an attempt to get attention to the issue. I have attempted to track bills from USAA (ie car insurance, car maintenance agreement, credit cards, ever since I upgraded when 2018 came out. USAA is one of the featured companies when trying to link and track scheduled bills as ebills. When I try to set up the bills, Quicken asks for my credentials (user name, password, PIN, answer to secret question) after entering them I receive the attached window. There has been no followup per the message in the window through many tries as the program has been updated, including this current update to 5.5x. These bills can be variable from month to month, so auto updating the amount due per the feature would be great. image
  • PeterFrank
    PeterFrank Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When downloading transactions from my bank, i habitually clean up the (usually garbled) payee names to keep things uniform. I'll also check the box to "Rename all xxxx to yyyy." Since this latest update, checking the box prompts an immediate dialog confirming that i want to rename the payee. This is an annoying extra step and doesn't seem necessary. Can your product team take a look?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options

When downloading transactions from my bank, i habitually clean up the (usually garbled) payee names to keep things uniform. I'll also check the box to "Rename all xxxx to yyyy." Since this latest update, checking the box prompts an immediate dialog confirming that i want to rename the payee. This is an annoying extra step and doesn't seem necessary. Can your product team take a look?

@Peter Frank: I'd suggest you go to Help > Report a Problem in Quicken and post your same comment there. It's sometimes iffy whether comments here get read by Quicken, but that's an avenue to make sure a comment about a specific issue like this gets seen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

After this latest update 5.5, quicken is running very slow, I get the spinning beach ball every time I change accounts or try to enter in transactions. this is very frustrating. 

I too am experiencing the spinning ball since upgrading to 5.5.x when I enter a transaction or change accounts.

Thanks to RickO's comments in a thread below, I closed down the graphs in my investment accounts portfolio view and that seems to have eliminated the spinning ball problem.
  • PeterFrank
    PeterFrank Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Done. Thanks for the tip.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

That is good...just keep in mind that that avenue is only one-way; there is no feedback provided. It is good to use both avenues...and a third is contacting Quicken support.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

After this latest update 5.5, quicken is running very slow, I get the spinning beach ball every time I change accounts or try to enter in transactions. this is very frustrating. 

Richard, See this thread for the (temporary) solution:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-2018-5-5-slow?utm_source=notificatio...
  • moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Like the Update. 
    I am a Canadian user, who bought the application from US site. I tried to contact Support to change my account to Canada before, but it has not been done for some reason. 
    Now looks like Quicken can detect my location, and promote me to change from 401K to RRSP, etc.
    Exactly what I want.

Great job and Thanks!

I think we need both! I have just (finally) migrated over from QM07, and from everything I've read I'm glad I waited. Most of the features I want are in 2018, but this one is still lacking. In QM07, your Portfolio view showed both ROI$ and % as a function of capital gains, and it showed an Income column for that security. This is very helpful in the example cited above, where some securities are income-focused and the share price will not fluctuate much, but the security has actually performed well in terms of income.  It's true that you can see that in the IRR calculations that 2018 has in the Performance report, but would still like to see an Income column for those income-focused securities.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Marcus, you may want to take a look at this post:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/stock-buys-appear-in-transactions-but-not-in-por...

Usually I would attribute something like this to placeholders or user error, but perhaps not in this case.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RickO said:

Marcus, you may want to take a look at this post:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/stock-buys-appear-in-transactions-but-not-in-por...

Usually I would attribute something like this to placeholders or user error, but perhaps not in this case.

I am seeing the same problem in QM 5.5.3 - which was not present prior to QM 5.5.  When importing via Web Connect (.qfx file) my new stock transactions appear in the transaction view but not in the portfolio view.  Also, in the transaction view the share balance column is not updated (showing as blank for those new transactions).  At first I thought this was limited to a $0 purchase problem (see my previous post at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-5-x-released?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=19312315#reply_19312315) but now I believe this is more general.  Last night I tried to import a series of non-$0 Reinvest, RoC and Buy transactions on the same security. The whole new series was not recognized in the portfolio view.  I corrected this by manually editing the first newly imported transaction, modifying the price slightly.  Then magically all the newly imported transactions for that security were recognized and the share balance column updated in the transaction view.  The portfolio view also updated correctly.  It seems that a new bug has crept into investment transaction importing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello, I am having an issue with downloaded investments. Yesterday I bought a security and today downloaded the transaction from interactive brokers. The buy shows up correctly and reduces the cash in my account but the new security does not show up in my security list and my brokerage account value is just reduced by the cash buy and not offset with the new security. I also added to an existing security and it shows the same issue. Cash reduction but newly purchased shares do not show up in the portfolio.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Bryan said:

Hello, I am having an issue with downloaded investments. Yesterday I bought a security and today downloaded the transaction from interactive brokers. The buy shows up correctly and reduces the cash in my account but the new security does not show up in my security list and my brokerage account value is just reduced by the cash buy and not offset with the new security. I also added to an existing security and it shows the same issue. Cash reduction but newly purchased shares do not show up in the portfolio.

What version of Quicken are you using?
This discussion has been closed.