Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Don Awalt said:

Thanks for the update. Is there any hope at all of Quicken Mac ever supporting T Rowe Price Mutual Funds? Quicken Windows supports them, and has for a long time. I can't use the Mac product until it is supported. Any hope?

There's a possibility.  Previously T Rowe Price wanted Quicken Mac blocked because we didn't support 401K and Single Mutual Fund accounts properly with the ability to offset the buys with automatic transfers.  When we added this ability in 2018, we made a request to be allowed to add them to our download list but I haven't heard back.  I'll make this request again.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions Still loose ta info in ver 5.5.0.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions still loose Tag Info in Ver 5.5.0.Just upgraded to Ver 5.5.0 (Q 2018 for Mac).  Was excited to read in the update notes that an issue I had reported was fixed where Tag Info in a Transactions Report was lost if the transaction is Split.  

However, it appears that this issue is still not fixed in latest version.  Split transactions still acquire three dots (...) in place of where the Tag info should be.  Even stranger, when copy and pasted into Excel, transactions that are split in Quicken now have \u2026 assigned as the Tag.  

This is an example of the Transaction Report in Quicken.  Hardware purchases are split transactions.  As you can see, they acquire three dots for the tag.  In the register, these 
    transactions have the appropriate tags assigned.  

This is a copy/paste into Excel...in this case, the split transaction of $38.00 acquires a \u2026 tag.  

Unless I am missing something, this issue appears not to be resolved in ver 5.5.0.  Appreciate your attention to this matter...

Michael

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released.

This is fixed in version 5.5.2 which we'll be releasing shortly.  Thanks for reporting it and look for your forum name in our release notes :-).
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Bills & Home, I have some additional requests:

• The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • In my experience, the most sensible default filter is Next One Due
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
    John, can you take a screenshot?  We haven't removed the search bar so I'm not sure what you're referring to.  Maybe there is a bug.  Is anyone else seeing this?  We did debate about the best default for the date range and decided that this view is really about providing a checklist of upcoming bills and that the month range made the most sense for this purpose.  We didn't like seeing the Property Tax bill every month even though it wasn't due until 6 months from now.  You can change the filter to be Next One Due if you like and it will be remembered going forward.  Each bill isn't selectable because you can't really do anything with it but I get your point about liking the ability to highlight something or clicking down on the arrows keys to count the bills, etc.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

I posted this question: QM2018, After purchase of new stock no Add transaction cost? here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qm2018-after-purchase-of-new-stock-no-add-transa... I am crossposting it in case it is a bug. "Since I just upgraded from QM2017 to QM2018 with 5.5 I can't be sure if this is a change in behavior for QM2018, or a bug in 5.5. A new stock purchase was executed today. In the past I have always gotten the "Add" menu as soon as a purchase appeared in the Portfolio view. Today's transaction appeared, but without a Cost Basis or an "Add" button. It also does not appear in the Transactions. In the past it would also appear at the beginning of Transactions."

We got rid of the word "Add" in the portfolio view if you don't have a cost basis.  It will now show up as $0.00.  Thanks for bringing up the placeholder issue.  I think there might be an issue there.  Most people who have their accounts set up won't see this but in my test accounts, I'm not seeing placeholder get created for newly added accounts.  I'll need to investigate more.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Quicken Marcus please take a look at these threads regarding orphan transfer transactions created during import of QM2007 data:
    QMac: Orphan Transfers

Quicken Mac 2007 => Quicken Mac 2018 - Orphaned Transfers

Migrating From Quicken 2007 - Orphaned Transfers

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

First of all, 5.5 is a great update for Canadian users.  Thank you very much for adding Canadian investment account types (RRSP, TFSA, etc) and an overall Canadian feature selector.  Note there are a few Canadian investment types still missing: LIRA & LIF (Locked In Retirement Account & Life Income Fund), but these are close enough to possibly substitute RRSP & RRIF types for now.

However, there are still a few issues I would like to report:

1. The long standing problem with Remove Shares is still present.  Remove Shares is treated as a $0 dollar sale from a capital gains perspective.  This improperly shows as a capital loss in the report for the period, but more importantly, it negatively skews the IRR & ROI performance measures for the period.  This is unfortunate as it makes the new performance measures useless if you have a Remove Shares transaction in the account.  Can this be fixed?

2. For Canadian users who sell shares in brokerage accounts, the LIFO/FIFO method of calculating cost basis and gains/losses does not apply.  In Canada we are required to use ACB (Adjusted Cost Basis) which is a cost averaging technique across all purchased lots.  I realize that Quicken Mac now supports explicit lot assignment during sales, and there is a Custom preset for manually allocating the sold shares across lots.  However, I would like to ask if it would be possible to add an additional preset called ACB or Average Cost (and also in the defaults for the account) that would automatically allocate the sold shares in proportion to the pre-sale holdings across all lots.  That would really help your Canadian users in getting the cost basis correct.

3. Lastly, this may be a potential bug or perhaps something I don't understand correctly.  When using the explicit lot assignment feature on multiple sales for the same security, I have noticed that custom lot assignments on a future date sale seem to affect the available shares at an earlier date in the lot assignment dialog box.  This does not make sense since the future date sale has not happened yet.  It appears that custom lot calculations are erroneously being carried backwards in time or treated as a global that is not time dependent.  This is easy to duplicate:

a) buy 3 lots of 10 shares each on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of any month
    b) sell 6 shares on the 4th of the month, allocating evenly across lots (2 shares per lot)
    c) sell 9 shares on the 5th of the month, allocating evenly across lots (3 shares per lot)
    d) reopen the sale transaction for the 4th (the original sale) and select specify lots.  You will see that the available shares to sell are 7 per lot.  It should indicate 10 per lot, as no sales have happened yet.  This seems to be a bug and may prevent all users (not just Canadian) from effectively using the custom lot feature to select their preferred cost basis accounting.  Can this be fixed?

Other than these issues, the 5.5 release seems to be stable.  Thanks again.

I just wanted to let you know I'm investigating this more which is why I haven't commented until now.  Still working on it.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

• The Sear bar is gone ! Help please, I need it back ! It's just such a strain on the eyes (and the mind) to find the bill of interest when you have about a hundred ! It's just like if there was no Search bar in the register. OK, I know it wasn't quite working before, but I thought the new Bills & Home view in 5.5 would fix it. But now it's gone alltogether !
    • I am not sure about the importance of Recently Paid. Is any one using this instead of the register? It looks cute but mentally parsing the timeline is not as easy as it sounds.
    • Just a silly question, but why aren't rows even selectable ? If I want to count how many Bills I have, I can't use the keyboard or have some visual indication or where I am in the list.
    I suspect John is talking about the lack of search bar and no selectability for the Bills, Income, and Payees views under Bills & Income.  Personally I find those views less useful than the Projected Balances view under Bills & Income.  Under the Projected Balances view, search is fully enabled and rows are selectable and editable - at least for me.  If John is not seeing this, then there may be a bug in his case.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Ah, Search is available under the Projected Balances column. Thanks. Wouldn't have guessed that. Looks like this is the legacy view?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

I posted this question: QM2018, After purchase of new stock no Add transaction cost? here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qm2018-after-purchase-of-new-stock-no-add-transa... I am crossposting it in case it is a bug. "Since I just upgraded from QM2017 to QM2018 with 5.5 I can't be sure if this is a change in behavior for QM2018, or a bug in 5.5. A new stock purchase was executed today. In the past I have always gotten the "Add" menu as soon as a purchase appeared in the Portfolio view. Today's transaction appeared, but without a Cost Basis or an "Add" button. It also does not appear in the Transactions. In the past it would also appear at the beginning of Transactions."

OK, but why did you get rid of it? Not sure the logic behind this. The Add was a different color. Also, if it was an additional purchase of a security it was still shown, now the $0.00 is not visible unless you click on the arrow. The blue Add makes a good visual communication that I've not done something. Looking for $0.00 is much harder for those of us with moderate eyesight and poor attention spans.

Finally, since I just upgraded from QM2017 to QM2018 5.5 was this changed with 5.0 or with 5.5, and where in the new documentation was this listed?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

On the subject of placeholders, I would like to suggest that there be a popup dialog whenever a placeholder is created. There a many circumstances where placeholders can get created due to transaction problems. For example, if there's a Buy transaction that's entered inadvertently (or duplicate of an unmatched downloaded transaction), a placeholder gets created to adjust the share balance. In this case the cost basis would be off, but the user gets no notification that something needs to be done about it if s/he doesn't regularly check the register for placeholders.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    After this latest update 5.5, quicken is running very slow, I get the spinning beach ball every time I change accounts or try to enter in transactions. this is very frustrating. 
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Indeed, no search bar in Bills&Income/Bills or Income or Payees. It was there previously, but did not work in my experience.

The search bar is indeed available in Projected Balances and works.

Maybe the Bills, Income and Payee views should be reworked to look more like the Projected Balance view - table-wise. They look a little bit old fashioned currently.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Quicken Marcus please take a look at these threads regarding orphan transfer transactions created during import of QM2007 data:
    QMac: Orphan Transfers

Quicken Mac 2007 => Quicken Mac 2018 - Orphaned Transfers

Migrating From Quicken 2007 - Orphaned Transfers

Yet another issue to bring up is the handling of VOID transactions in QM2007 and QWin when migrating...
    1. the word VOID is removed from such transactions during migration. Not sure why, as it then makes it unclear to the user why there is a reconciled $0 transaction. (see one user that identified this here; there have been others)
    2. QM2018 prevents the use of the word VOID at the start of a Payee...not sure why...oddly, it still allows the word 'void' in lower case. So this is the work-around for users, as explained in this FAQ: How to VOID a transaction, until such time as there is a VOID function in QMac.
    I would recommend that during migration, that VOID be preserved. But if absolutely necessary, rather that strip the word VOID, replace it with 'void' in lower case...since that is tolerated. 

Meanwhile, for those interested, You can add your VOTE for the Ability to Move or Void a Transaction.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions Still loose ta info in ver 5.5.0.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions still loose Tag Info in Ver 5.5.0.Just upgraded to Ver 5.5.0 (Q 2018 for Mac).  Was excited to read in the update notes that an issue I had reported was fixed where Tag Info in a Transactions Report was lost if the transaction is Split.  

However, it appears that this issue is still not fixed in latest version.  Split transactions still acquire three dots (...) in place of where the Tag info should be.  Even stranger, when copy and pasted into Excel, transactions that are split in Quicken now have \u2026 assigned as the Tag.  

This is an example of the Transaction Report in Quicken.  Hardware purchases are split transactions.  As you can see, they acquire three dots for the tag.  In the register, these 

This is a copy/paste into Excel...in this case, the split transaction of $38.00 acquires a \u2026 tag.  

Unless I am missing something, this issue appears not to be resolved in ver 5.5.0.  Appreciate your attention to this matter...

Michael

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released.

We just release 5.5.2 so get the update and let me know if it's not working as you expected.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

After this latest update 5.5, quicken is running very slow, I get the spinning beach ball every time I change accounts or try to enter in transactions. this is very frustrating. 

David, I don't think your experience is typical. I'm finding 5.5 at least as fast as QM2017 with no beach balls for routine actions such as you describe (I only upgraded to QM2018 with the 5.5 update). Other's may chime in, but in the mean time I'd recommend a search for "running slow" and see what has been suggested for fixing slow downs after an update.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options

Search was never in Bills or Income.  It was only in Projected Balances.  It sounds like Bills and Income isn't useful to your use case.  It's supposed to be a very clean view to review upcoming bills that need to get paid.  I think your use case is different.  Why not just keep using Projected Balances?  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

I just heard another person comment about this in investment accounts but we don't see this and there really isn't anything being done in the code while you are moving around the register.  Did you just try to sync and then use the app.  Sync is running in the background so it might be slow while syncing but should be fast after that.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options

Marcus , IMHO while the bills & income area is pretty & has a few minor upgrades the b&l needs to be able to generate the pdf bill when available on the payees website and simultaneously fill in the amount due in the transactions register . This makes the function useful. In the past initial 5.0 release the transaction never made it to the transaction register. I have setup another test case will be interesting to observe if it loads into the register at the he end of the cycle, even if it does it’s not practical the way it’s set up.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

For me, it is even faster than 5.4.
    MacBook Pro 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB Memory, running High Sierra.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi Marcus, 

This may not be the proper place to post this specific bank related issue here. But we have the issue for months now.

The issue is President's Choice Financial changed their name to Simplii Financial. Quicken added Simplii to its bank list, but did not remove President's Choice Financial from bank list. 
    And this causes the trouble for us! 

Why? I guess because Simplii and President's Choice Financial is the same bank with same Quick Bank ID,

If you need more details of the issue we have, I can post some screenshots. But how about just ask one of your developers search for <INTU.BID>00024 in your bank list. I believe they will find multiple entries, and they will see what is going on.

Thanks,
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Michael

It works.
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    David said:

QM18 runs a little slower for me than QM17, but it's barely perceptible. I still use QW, so coming over to Quicken for Mac from a Windows session is like riding a rocket ship.
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

@marcus, indeed that is an option, thanks for pointing this out. I can even hide the graph completely to suit my use case.

A couple of nitty-gritty details:
    • I'd welcome an additional filter to display only scheduled transactions. So I can weed out future, manually entered transactions.
    • It would be good to add extra columns to this view, like we discussed earlier (frequency, etc.)
    • The number if items is displayed in the top right corner, like for every other register, but not the number of selected items. This would be good to add and probably a copy and paste of code already used elsewhere .
    PS. I am pretty sure the Search bar was present in 5.4, because I used it often, but I'm on 5.5.2 and can no longer look back.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Gilles said:

Tax schedule does not work correctly, it will not show results of Capital gains/losses from Canadian dollars brokerage accounts
    it only shows the ones form USD brokerage accounts
    My main currency is Canadian dollar, even if I set up Canadian, US or both
    the results are wrong in tax schedule ( not showing any Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts results)

Summarize by : Tax schedule forms, still not showing under Canadian Schedule 3, even after updated to 5.5.2
    However, if I print that report ( or print as PDF ) , it shows in shadow behind the word "schedule 3"
    so it is there but it is not showing in the Application itself ( 5.5.2)
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options

I agree with these improvement suggestions.

Re search bar in 5.4.4... You are right John. Here are a couple screen shots...

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

First of all, 5.5 is a great update for Canadian users.  Thank you very much for adding Canadian investment account types (RRSP, TFSA, etc) and an overall Canadian feature selector.  Note there are a few Canadian investment types still missing: LIRA & LIF (Locked In Retirement Account & Life Income Fund), but these are close enough to possibly substitute RRSP & RRIF types for now.

However, there are still a few issues I would like to report:

1. The long standing problem with Remove Shares is still present.  Remove Shares is treated as a $0 dollar sale from a capital gains perspective.  This improperly shows as a capital loss in the report for the period, but more importantly, it negatively skews the IRR & ROI performance measures for the period.  This is unfortunate as it makes the new performance measures useless if you have a Remove Shares transaction in the account.  Can this be fixed?

2. For Canadian users who sell shares in brokerage accounts, the LIFO/FIFO method of calculating cost basis and gains/losses does not apply.  In Canada we are required to use ACB (Adjusted Cost Basis) which is a cost averaging technique across all purchased lots.  I realize that Quicken Mac now supports explicit lot assignment during sales, and there is a Custom preset for manually allocating the sold shares across lots.  However, I would like to ask if it would be possible to add an additional preset called ACB or Average Cost (and also in the defaults for the account) that would automatically allocate the sold shares in proportion to the pre-sale holdings across all lots.  That would really help your Canadian users in getting the cost basis correct.

3. Lastly, this may be a potential bug or perhaps something I don't understand correctly.  When using the explicit lot assignment feature on multiple sales for the same security, I have noticed that custom lot assignments on a future date sale seem to affect the available shares at an earlier date in the lot assignment dialog box.  This does not make sense since the future date sale has not happened yet.  It appears that custom lot calculations are erroneously being carried backwards in time or treated as a global that is not time dependent.  This is easy to duplicate:

a) buy 3 lots of 10 shares each on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of any month
    b) sell 6 shares on the 4th of the month, allocating evenly across lots (2 shares per lot)
    c) sell 9 shares on the 5th of the month, allocating evenly across lots (3 shares per lot)
    d) reopen the sale transaction for the 4th (the original sale) and select specify lots.  You will see that the available shares to sell are 7 per lot.  It should indicate 10 per lot, as no sales have happened yet.  This seems to be a bug and may prevent all users (not just Canadian) from effectively using the custom lot feature to select their preferred cost basis accounting.  Can this be fixed?

Other than these issues, the 5.5 release seems to be stable.  Thanks again.

Thanks Marcus.  Let me know if you need screenshots.  No fixes for these in 5.5.2.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Gilles said:

Tax schedule does not work correctly, it will not show results of Capital gains/losses from Canadian dollars brokerage accounts
    it only shows the ones form USD brokerage accounts
    My main currency is Canadian dollar, even if I set up Canadian, US or both
    the results are wrong in tax schedule ( not showing any Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts results)

@ Quicken Marcus see note above and private report in betas
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would like to ask for a small improvement to tag filtering in report generation (in the customize report dialog box).  Currently QM only allows you to define a filter to include transactions with "Any" selected tags or "All" selected tags.  This is the "inclusion" use case for tags.  This is quite limiting and I find myself needing an "exclusion" use case to remove certain tagged transactions from a report.  I would like to suggest either:

a) add "None" to the drop-down to exclude selected tags from a report, or alternatively...

b) add an "<all untagged transactions>" entry to the tag list below so the existing filters could by used in combination with a fully comprehensive tag list to define exclusions (i.e. de-selections)
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

I would like to ask for a small improvement to tag filtering in report generation (in the customize report dialog box).  Currently QM only allows you to define a filter to include transactions with "Any" selected tags or "All" selected tags.  This is the "inclusion" use case for tags.  This is quite limiting and I find myself needing an "exclusion" use case to remove certain tagged transactions from a report.  I would like to suggest either:

a) add "None" to the drop-down to exclude selected tags from a report, or alternatively...

b) add an "<all untagged transactions>" entry to the tag list below so the existing filters could by used in combination with a fully comprehensive tag list to define exclusions (i.e. de-selections)

Yup, it's been brought up many times. Please go to and click the VOTE button on this post:

Add Selection Criteria for -No Category- and -No Tag- on Reports

There is an update to the overall customization dialog in the pipes. I just don't know when it's planned for release.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    s2kdriver said:

Thanks RickO for pointing this out.  I have voted.
This discussion has been closed.