Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Comments

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, guess I will stay on R24. 
  • andyross
    andyross Member ✭✭
    The first time after this latest update, I was forced to do the Quicken account login the first time, although it's fine after that. The release notes say only bug fixes, but I noticed the "save" button when entering a new registry entry has changed to some green icon.
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welp mine just updated to 27.28 and the issue is still there
  • RonniePincus
    RonniePincus Member ✭✭
    Still on 27.24, but this issue has remained through 3 updates already.
    Tried all the suggestions, logging as new user, resetting the data file password, etc.
    In my case, I have to wait until the online login screen loads before it will even receive input from the keyboard to enter my data file password. Extremely annoying.
  • Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like I will go to my grave before this gets fixed. What adds to my aggravation is that the welcome screen sign-in page remains in the background for a period related to my CPU load when I start Quicken. It would also appear to me from the small subset of concerned customers with this error that a majority of Quicken users don't use password protection on their financial data which is the root cause of the welcome screen being erroneously displayed. I guess most users don't think their financial data is sensitive which passeth all understanding from my viewpoint.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Kenneth Goodwin  FWIW, I use a data file password, I do not use cloud sync, I do not use Online Billers, I do not use Bill Pay, I do not have an issue with the Quicken ID when I open my file.  This is not a universal issue and appears to affect only a small user group.

I really wish Quicken support would provide a new Quicken ID and a test Quicken subscription download to someone in this problem group to determine whether the issue is related to user hardware/software setup or to the Quicken ID and authentication server.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Kenneth Goodwin" ,

Sorry, but Quicken is not going to fix this, because a solution exists to fix the problem.

The solution is this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

You must use QCleanUi to uninstall Quicken.You need to delete the folders.
    Run CCleaner as explained in the procedure.

Use the Quicken Installer from your My Account at Quicken.

If you wait for Quicken to fix, you will be waiting a long time.

I can only write the procedure. Whether you use it or not, is up to you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Kenneth Goodwin" ,

Sorry, but Quicken is not going to fix this, because a solution exists to fix the problem.

The solution is this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

You must use QCleanUi to uninstall Quicken.You need to delete the folders.
    Run CCleaner as explained in the procedure.

Use the Quicken Installer from your My Account at Quicken.

If you wait for Quicken to fix, you will be waiting a long time.

I can only write the procedure. Whether you use it or not, is up to you.

Your suggestions had been posted and tried many times and no one has reported that it fixed anything. 
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also, all was fine until R25- so it has to be a change Quicken made.   Also all is fine if you don't use a data file password.  I believe Quicken made a change in R25 that caused the problem, they know what it is and will not fix it.  They don't even seem to care to work with anyone to resolve the issue.   Says a lot about the new owners. 
  • Steve299@
    Steve299@ Member ✭✭
    This is getting silly! The problem exists on two vastly different computers, using different processors and having different amounts of memory and storage, one a 2018 Dell Laptop and one a 2008 Dell Vostro Desktop so, IT IS NOT HARDWARE RELATED. Oh, and with TWO different Quicken files. Now that Excel has a financial module, the new MONEY, it might be time, after 32 years of using Quicken, I move on. Is there any way to move back to R24? It all worked fine, as Divemaster said, until R25?
  • thecreator

Your suggestions had been posted and tried many times and no one has reported that it fixed anything. 
    Did you tried it? Did you tried creating a Brand New Quicken Data File, using your setup, with a Data File Password?

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I and many others have informed @thecreator perhaps ten-twenty times that his suggestion does not work in this situation!
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Don Bartenstein
    > @thecreator said:
    > (Quote)
    > Did you tried it? Did you tried creating a Brand New Quicken Data File, using your setup, with a Data File Password?

Yes and yes. At least twice.
  • thecreator
    edited July 2020
    [removed - argumentative]

• markus1957
    Quicken should do this for you as a support process, but you could do it on your own.  There is a 30-day money back guarantee for purchases thru Quicken.com.  One of you could buy it, sign up with a new Quicken ID (gmail or apple or something other than your current Quicken ID email).

Run QCleanUI on your current install, including manual folder deletions.  Then install the new product and sign in with a new Quicken ID with a new data file.  I'd do it by my R28 version is working just fine with a data file password.  If it doesn't work, get you money back.  If it works, try opening your problem data file.  If that works, keep the new product and ask for an extension on the new subscription for the time left on your old one, plus maybe more for the trouble.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may have not seen an older post of mine.  I took a laptop I have with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  Never in it's short life has it had Quicken on it.   I took the laptop and logged into my account and downloaded Quicken, installed Quicken.  Then using a thumb drive I copied my data file from desk to laptop.   Then started Quicken, got the same extra screen.  Remember this was loaded on a laptop that had never seen any Quicken ever and software loaded from signing into my account at Quicken.  So to me, this says it is the fact we want to secure our data with a file password and changes made in R25 has an issue.  Now it may be something with the data file, but super validate gets no errors. 
  • markus1957
    @Divemaster I believe it has also been reported that a newly created data file exhibits the same behavior. That leans toward an issue with a certain group of users' Quicken IDs.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Steve299@ said:
    This is getting silly! The problem exists on two vastly different computers, using different processors and having different amounts of memory and storage, one a 2018 Dell Laptop and one a 2008 Dell Vostro Desktop so, IT IS NOT HARDWARE RELATED. Oh, and with TWO different Quicken files. Now that Excel has a financial module, the new MONEY, it might be time, after 32 years of using Quicken, I move on. Is there any way to move back to R24? It all worked fine, as Divemaster said, until R25?

I am not up on the mondo patch??  I thought at one time it was the whole program and not a patch??  You can get various mondo at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-windows-release-notes  However, going backwards might not be a good idea, you need advise from someone more knowledgeable than I am on that process.    I believe it is okay going forward, but may not be for going back.  Only reason I could go back is I do an image prior to updating anything. 

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @markus1957
    I find you level-headed and logical (thank you) and on page 5 of this post you asked me series of detailed numbered list of questions - with answers. So I would like to add one more item as a brainstorm:
    I have hi-tech background and asked my friend who is an expert/scholar in the network security field to review my computer's network trace-logs during Quicken startup, and they are very different between R24 and R25+. I further disabled the wifi on my PC and again reviewed my computer's network trace-log "attempts" between the two versions with similar difference. The short/summary difference between the two logs is that the new program (R25+) is sending validation ID network requests [BEFORE I enter the datafile password] whereas the former (R24) waits.

Which I what I wrote before: The logical approach is for the program to wait for the datafile password first (if enabled), before making any outgoing network requests. Think of it like a 2FA on various programs/sites: Only after your initial login is authenticated, then and only then the system prompts for the second one. It should be a serial process, not parallel.

Why only happens to some of us? You are probably correct with this:
    > @markus1957 said:
    > I really wish Quicken support would provide a new Quicken ID and a test Quicken subscription download to someone in this problem group to determine whether the issue is related to user hardware/software setup or to the Quicken ID and authentication server.

• thecreator
    edited July 2020
    You may have not seen an older post of mine.  I took a laptop I have with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.  Never in it's short life has it had Quicken on it.   I took the laptop and logged into my account and downloaded Quicken, installed Quicken.  Then using a thumb drive I copied my data file from desk to laptop.   Then started Quicken, got the same extra screen.  Remember this was loaded on a laptop that had never seen any Quicken ever and software loaded from signing into my account at Quicken.  So to me, this says it is the fact we want to secure our data with a file password and changes made in R25 has an issue.  Now it may be something with the data file, but super validate gets no errors. 
    [removed - off-topic]

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    BK said:

I have hi-tech background and asked my friend who is an expert/scholar in the network security field to review my computer's network trace-logs during Quicken startup, and they are very different between R24 and R25+. I further disabled the wifi on my PC and again reviewed my computer's network trace-log "attempts" between the two versions with similar difference. The short/summary difference between the two logs is that the new program (R25+) is sending validation ID network requests [BEFORE I enter the datafile password] whereas the former (R24) waits.

Hello @BK

Thank you for sharing the results of the network trace-logs with the community.

Would you be willing to share those logs with our Development teams? If so, please let me know and I will reach out to obtain those logs securely.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    No older versions, all it does is give me an option for Download for Windows                   ( Quicken.exe 308mb), Download for Mac (Quicken.dmg 858kb), Redeem Dropbox Offer.  When I click on one of those option I don't get a choice of versions. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can go back to a previous release by installing the Mondo patch for that release. Previous Mondo patches can be downloaded from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Don Bartenstein
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > You can go back to a previous release by installing the Mondo patch for that release. Previous Mondo patches can be downloaded from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

I think the issue in reverting is that the data file may be corrupted when going backwards. Not so much an issue going forwards as there is usually a conversion that happens.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken data file format has not changed since Quicken 2016. There's no conversion involved moving between releases. @Don Bartenstein where did you get that information?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Don Bartenstein
    The Quicken data file format has not changed since Quicken 2016. There's no conversion involved moving between releases. @Don Bartenstein where did you get that information?
    In the past I had seen progress dialogs showing file conversion happening.  Good to know it's stable since 20a6, if that is indeed the case.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hello @BK
    >
    > Thank you for sharing the results of the network trace-logs with the community.
    >
    > Would you be willing to share those logs with our Development teams? If so, please let me know and I will reach out to obtain those logs securely.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

Hi @Quicken Sarah
    Thank you for giving this an attention and reaching out.
    Unfortunately the log file is gone. Three months ago, my expert friend installed an Eval version of a specialized network program on my test PC where all log data remained within the program and not exportable (because eval version). If I still had the program, he would’ve been able to retrieve them but 2 weeks ago I installed Win10 2004 from scratch/reformatted – all gone!

But I would like to bring your attention to page 5 of this post (and about a third from the top) where I provided detailed answers to series of great questions asked by @markus1957 which may help you. Many others such as @Divemaster have also provided great feedback throughout.

One reason this post has so many pages is that a certain suggestion that does not resolve this issue - as tried by many - is repeated and has become counter-productive.
    Regards
    BK

• markus1957
    @Greg_the_Geek While this is generally true regarding database format, there have to have been new data tables added within the database format to accommodate new features like Online Billers, Quick Pay and Mobile/Web syncing.  It's not a given that going backwards is going to be painless.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Has anyone tried Quicken R27.42 to see if the extra logon screen has been fixed? 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    still there.... R27.42

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.