Quicken ID Sign-In Window Appears in Background when Entering Q Data File Password

Options

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @""Don Bartenstein"  ,
    > @thecreator said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hi @Divemaster ,
    >
    > So the only procedure that works, is to reinstall according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions
    >
    > Don't skips steps. Don't rename any folders.
    >
    > Questions?

So. I followed your instructions in the link. Twice. Printed them out even, so I had a checklist I could mark off. I'm a 45+ year IT guy, so I know how to follow instructions and how to debug. No dice; still get the sign-on in the back ground.

Then yesterday I did a full Windows reset, as I was having some system issues that had cropped up over the last couple weeks. As we know, that pretty much wipes everything also and necessitates re-install of all non-Microsoft apps. So once more Quicken is installed from scratch. Again, no dice.
    The problem comes from a bug on the Quicken Activation Servers.When a person buys Quicken from Amazon.com which they sell only an Activation Code, not a Download.

In order to install Quicken using an Activation Code from Amazon.com, the User goes to:  https://www.quicken.com/activate and downloads the Quicken from the link that states: I'm new to Quicken .

They Activate Quicken, and if they don't use a File Password, it is fine.

But if they use a File Password, then they get a Background that is not a Gray Background.

To fix, you need to reinstall Quicken. You need to delete the Quicken Installer from: https://www.quicken.com/activate  I'm new to Quicken.

And download the Quicken Installer from your Quicken.com / My Account under Download Quicken , Download for Windows..

Also delete the Quicken Folder and its sub-folder in the Documents section.

Why? The Log files, could be causing the problem. I had to do it for a different reason. It fixed my problem.

So after you reinstall Quicken, you select I'm upgrading and restore the last Manual Backup file, you created. It will work.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did get an activation code from Amazon, but since I have had Quicken for decades, all I did was enter new code from within Quicken and all was well.   I did not have to go quicken.com/activate and download.    Anyway, all was well for a couple months then went to Version 25 and things went south. 

• Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Divemaster said:
    > I did get an activation code from Amazon, but since I have had Quicken for decades, all I did was enter new code from within Quicken and all was well.   I did not have to go quicken.com/activate and download.    Anyway, all was well for a couple months then went to Version 25 and things went south. 

I've had Quicken since about 1996. My activation code was purchased directly from Quicken, not Amazon. Things were fine until, as Divemaster said, version 25 was implemented.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ditto. I have tried everything suggested by all superusers here without any resolution. I have a test setup and have gone back & forth between various releases multiple times and results are consistent where all good in R24, and starting with R25 and above password problems and slowness start. It is not a big issue, rather just annoying IMO.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    BK said:
    Ditto. I have tried everything suggested by all superusers here without any resolution. I have a test setup and have gone back & forth between various releases multiple times and results are consistent where all good in R24, and starting with R25 and above password problems and slowness start. It is not a big issue, rather just annoying IMO.

Agree, also shows  level of support that one can expect.  If all was fine until an update- then this is on Quicken to fix.  However they can't or won't?  I sent letter to corporate and they said they were aware and was working on it, but it pretty much was a "canned response". 
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yesterday Cox internet was down most of the day.  When I went to enter some purchases in Quicken, it took a long time before my home page was displayed, I just got a blank screen for about 32 seconds.  The software really wanted that handshake, yet I never use any features that require internet connection- what is going on.  It has to be in that code that is causing the problem in this thread.  I would think, Quicken knows what is causing it, but it is so ingrained into this "handshake routine" they don't want to deal with it.  I wish Quicken would explain why a handshake is even necessary and what data they look at during that process.   Have an option for those that do not use any internet functions, the only reason I stay on Quicken is because I am use to it and don't want to make the effort to learn another. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You need to disable your network adapter first so Quicken doesn't try to "call home".
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    To expand on what @Greg_the_Geek said.  When a program tries to connect to a remote server over the network it has no idea how long that is going to take, since a server can be slow to respond.  As such network connections have long timeouts.  Try connecting with your web browser to a site that is down and watch how long it takes for it to give up.

Quicken can't know before it makes the request that the server isn't going to respond, so a reasonable timeout is needed.  30 seconds is very reasonable timeout, the default timeouts for networks are actually in the minutes.

By disabling your network adapter Quicken will get an error from the network driver immediately and therefore take the corrective action of whatever it does when the remote server isn't available immediately.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The problem occurs (since R25) to some of us who have enabled password for our datafile - most users have not.

The solution to this should be fairly simple by pushing the “Call Home” handshake code few lines down (for those who have followed this thread and know programming). My oversimplified WAG is that the current code is doing this:
    1- Program launches
    2- Call Home handshake begins
    3- Is file password enabled (Y/N)? IF Yes, enter password & validate.
    4- Proceed …

If they swap the order of 2 & 3, problem may be solved. Clearly there is much more to it and they may have had a reason for the way it currently is. I respect the Quicken team and they probably have bigger fish to fry than this one.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    By disabling your network adapter Quicken will get an error from the network driver immediately and therefore take the corrective action of whatever it does when the remote server isn't available immediately.
    Just tried again - with 2 scenarios....
    1 - just disconnect from the WiFi ..... received the Internet screen
    2 - disabled both the WiFi AND Ethernet interface... still received the Internet screen

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It makes sense that it would check for a connection before trying to connect or at least check after it failed to connect.  The code should just ignore trying to connect at that point.  A person will find out they don't have a connection if they try a function that needs it.  Quicken is doing something when it starts and we really don't know everything it is trying to do.  As I mention earlier, for someone like me- there is no reason to even check for a connection. 
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just guessing here, but I suspect that Quicken is checking for product expiration so they can show the product expired banner.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are several things that it is checking at start up.  One is definitely going to be the licensing, but others would be for if there are any Quicken patch updates, any updates to the financial institution information, and probably other things like that.
    Signature:
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The could do the licensing check without connecting back to the server, others do it internally.  I guess I am old school, I want to check for updates myself, don't want to be the first to update, let others be on the leading edge (which can sometimes can be the bleeding edge when issues arise).   I have even made group policy changes in Windows 10 to stop all updates.   I will do updates after they been out awhile and I am sure I have images that I can restore if things go south. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well you can want it to work that way, but I seriously doubt that Quicken Inc is going to change their licensing system just because you want it.

BTW I installed fiddler to see exactly what was being sent, and yes the licensing is one part of it, and another is their "push ads".  There wasn't anything about updates, but the more I think of that, that is periodically based on an entry in a config file.
    Signature:
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Well you can want it to work that way, but I seriously doubt that Quicken Inc is going to change their licensing system just because you want it.

I know, won't hold my breath for that to happen.  Just do my best to work with what I have been given. 

• thecreator
    Options
    The could do the licensing check without connecting back to the server, others do it internally.  I guess I am old school, I want to check for updates myself, don't want to be the first to update, let others be on the leading edge (which can sometimes can be the bleeding edge when issues arise).   I have even made group policy changes in Windows 10 to stop all updates.   I will do updates after they been out awhile and I am sure I have images that I can restore if things go south. 

Actually when there is new version and you are on the latest version, Quicken does not automatically install the latest version. Under Help, it states "Download Latest Version". The only time that Quicken will automatically install the latest version, if you haven't used Quicken for three weeks or more.

Quicken is always busy, making changes to the Servers. When you don't keep up, you can't connect.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the record Quicken Inc has a beta program that "most of the major changes" go through.  Then there is the release to a "limited amount of users" (which can reject the update) and if that goes well for a period of time they then release to everyone.

But here is the rub.  There is no way that Quicken Inc can test all the different combinations of how people use Quicken and their financial institutions and such.

So at the end of the day, yes you will be testing Quicken for your configuration.
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    Options

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    For all the comments regarding the startup, and handshake with the Mothership -
    REMEMBER - it does NOT present the bogus logon screen
    IF you don't have a Data File Password defined for your Quicken file.....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Edited for clarity.

@ps56k In reality this thread is starting to becoming the "I have a problem, which is different, but I'm to lazy to start another thread" dumping ground.

The comments above are in response to a different problem that should have never been on this thread. (What happens when you ISP network is down).

And yes, It was established long ago in this thread that disabling the network will not fix the problem with the "phantom login".
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I could not agree more with both @Chris_QPW and @ps56k 's two comments just above this, that the Wifi/network stuff are not relevant here.

The main annoyance that started this thread seems to surface since R25 and ONLY for some/few who have enabled "Set password for this data file". I made a suggestion for Quicken folks about 14 posts above here.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only reason I mention ISP network down is that the handshake takes much longer when it is down and the problem in this thread deals with the handshake process causing an extra screen that isn't needed.   If ISP is up you still get the extra screen, but you get it faster, wasn't trying to throw in another problem, just identifying a difference in the handshake process.  If this software didn't call home or did it correctly, there wouldn't be a thread. 
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
  • thecreator
    Options

Release Notes

Release R27.20 (US Versions, June 2020)

"Fixed
    : An issue in which the Quicken Activation dialog was displaying for some active users when they attempted to log in."

Logging in via the Quicken USER ID and password, is not the same when using a File Password, to unlock the file.

• PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    Downloaded the R27.20 patch...didn't fix the problem. The Quicken Activation dialog still shows behind the file password entry login.

Try again, Quicken.
  • PhoenixRising
    PhoenixRising Member ✭✭
    Options
    BTW, the new Investing "Dashboard" feature doesn't work either. It's blank. Nothing there. I'm using Deluxe so that may not be available? If so, why is the tab there?
  • William Ahlstrom
    William Ahlstrom Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Installed the R27.20 patch. I agree with PhonixRising it still isn't fixed!
    I guess Sarah will have to open a fourth edition of this post as Quicken states in release notes that the problem is fixed.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because of this issue I had restored an image back to put me on release 24.

Did an image this AM, so said I will try and see if this is fixed.  Told Quicken to update and it gave me R26.23?  So I updated and of course it has the problem of extra screen.
    Thought maybe Quicken wants to upgrade me in steps.  So tried to update again and it says I am current at R26.23.
    So now do I restore my image or just live with the issue?   From the looks of things R27.20 isn't the answer, but thought I would try as there are many configurations and if it worked for me, then that might point to a fix for others. 
  • thecreator
    Options
    Like I stated, the problem is with the Quicken Activation Servers, not with the program.

Use this procedure: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Make sure to do a Manual Backup, in the procedure, first. Then while deleting the files, also delete the Data Folder and everything inside:
     Ex: G:\My Documents\Quicken

Also delete the installer, as well.

Or, wait for the fix, that is not coming from Quicken. The Choice is yours.

This discussion has been closed.